• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozorov

Just got a Pro/PSVR

What are the must have games that gives me that roller coaster like experience? I played Drive Club VR, and was scared that I would get extreme motion sickness due to how many people reported that, but I didn't feel any sickness whatsoever. I dunno, I feel like I'm immune to it. I love that butterflies in the stomach feeling, so which games will give me that?

The Call of Duty-demo is cool and Rez. The only game I got butterflies in the stomach so far is the Playroom VR Platformer heh. Which you should play ASAP. Looks amazing on Pro also

doby

Thanks for the rec... but I'm not into horror games. Had no idea that game was like that, but yeah, def can't handle that. Any other recs?

You'll be missing out, seriously. If you want butterfly moments Rush of Blood has loads...as well as the occasional scare of course ;)

ultron87

Is there some secret to aiming in Headmaster? The demo really put me off, despite wanting to like it for the writing. I'm pretty sure I was doing the proper heading motion it teaches you but it felt super tough to do anything with intention.

Am I right in thinking Robinson is the last "big" VR release until Resident Evil? I know there's a thread with all the release dates but it seems there are a lot of titles with a TBC 2016 date - I imagine they'll get delayed?

Well as for AAA published games we still have Werewolves Within from Ubisoft, Star Wars Rogue One VR from EA and Paranormal Activity VR from Paramount Pictures, before RE7 launches.

Edit: Some TBD titles are confirmed for 2016 but we still don't have dates like How We Soar, Pixel Ripped 1989 and some others so they still could launch in 2016.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So 'The Martian Experience' launches tomorrow on PSVR. I'm really looking forward to it.

Plasma

Banned
So 'The Martian Experience' launches tomorrow on PSVR. I'm really looking forward to it.
Think I'll pick that one up the trailer made it looked pretty good. I also read in one of the articles that announced the release date that Fox are also going to put out a Blade Runner VR tie in when that comes out.

bumpkin

Is there some secret to aiming in Headmaster? The demo really put me off, despite wanting to like it for the writing. I'm pretty sure I was doing the proper heading motion it teaches you but it felt super tough to do anything with intention.
I had the same problem. Any of the shots that required directionality, I couldn't pull off to save my life. I also had this tendency to launch the balls up over the top of the net.

I just hate that it's $20. Maybe there's a lot to it and it isn't just a cash grab theme park ride, but Batman and Rush of Blood were also $20 each and offered some memorable experiences.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I just hate that it's $20. Maybe there's a lot to it and it isn't just a cash grab theme park ride, but Batman and Rush of Blood were also $20 each and offered some memorable experiences.

I didn't know you had to pay for it. Hmmm. I'll await review now.

Who am I kidding. Of course I'll get it.

Is this supposed to be good?

I think to get the full effect you need to starve yourself by just eating potatoes and vitamins for a couple of months before trying it.

Trailer here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVH8eUhEZC4

ghibli99

sGMonCZ.jpg
Did I miss something, or is the bundle really being discontinued? Hopefully it's just being called something else and not the Launch Bundle anymore.

Grinchy

Banned
I forgot to mention before that I tried Tumble on the Pro and didn't notice any difference to it whatsoever. If they are running at a higher resolution now, it had absolutely no discernible difference.

Plus, the tracking in that game has been complete shit for me the last couple times I've tried it. I've done a lot of troubleshooting in various games, but I could not make Tumble work correctly.

Ozorov

I forgot to mention before that I tried Tumble on the Pro and didn't notice any difference to it whatsoever. If they are running at a higher resolution now, it had absolutely no discernible difference.

Plus, the tracking in that game has been complete shit for me the last couple times I've tried it. I've done a lot of troubleshooting in various games, but I could not make Tumble work correctly.

Some of these 1st Gen Pro-games has very subtle differences - Driveclub for example. I think the difference will be bigger further on. I've not tried a game on the OG yet but I think the CoD-demo and VR Worlds looks really good on the Pro.

I love that butterflies in the stomach feeling, so which games will give me that?

Windlands. It does fade eventually though but that is the only game that got remotely close to giving me butterflies in the stomach. I have a very high tolerance for it in real life as well, I don't get them on roller coasters and the only time I have had them in recent memory was skydiving.

Grinchy

Banned
Some of these 1st Gen Pro-games has very subtle differences - Driveclub for example. I think the difference will be bigger further on. I've not tried a game on the OG yet but I think the CoD-demo and VR Worlds looks really good on the Pro.

Oh yeah I've loved the differences in other games like RIGS and Until Dawn. Tethered is improved as well, but more subtly.

Tumble in particular, I feel like it's kinda lazy for it not to run at a much higher resolution on the Pro. I know it's only a $10 game, and it's a steal at that price, but its Pro mode is laughable.

Maybe someone here can help me with a wiring setup.

I'm using a PS4 Pro and have this hub wired through the rear USB port:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YFQ7M88/?tag=neogaf0e-20

From that hub, I have my PS Gold headset dongle, Disney Infinity portal and LEGO Dimension portal hooked up. When I first added the PSVR Processor Unit to be hooked up to the hub, it seemed to work just fine in the sense it would power up the Processor Unit when the PS4 turned on, and then turn off eventually after it shut down.

Now a day later, suddenly, it just doesn't turn on and the LED stays red on the Processor Unit. If I unplug it and plug it back in, or if I hit the power button on the PSVR headset, it'll run and work just fine.

Can anyone help how I might be able to solve this? Would supplying power to the USB hub help at all?

El-Suave

Try to do small adjustments with your head position/motion from ball to ball to see how they impact its trajectory. Start with holding your head still and just let the ball drop off of it into the goal. Then go from there with those small adjustments, Don't worry about the score for a few rounds and try to develop a feel for the game. It really is pretty precise and easy.

majik13

What are GAFs recommendations on RIGS control schemes?

At first I wanted to do thumbstick aiming, but in the end I found head aiming to be the better alternative, basically you are not fighting with the aim when its being altered by 2 different inputs, and also it makes it much easier to jump and aim at the same time, etc.
With thumbstick aim I kept finding myself trying to shoot at things that were hidden behind my HUD, and found it really difficult to correct it, in the middle of shooting.
Or should I give thumbstick aiming another chance? For the more professional players are there any real pros or cons to each style? Better aim, more accurate, etc?

Did I miss something, or is the bundle really being discontinued? Hopefully it's just being called something else and not the Launch Bundle anymore.

I posted a couple weeks ago that it does indeed look like it will be a launch only thing, as it is called a "Launch" bundle. But hopefully they make a new bundle with hopefully a new game bundled in a call it something else. But who knows.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

I would love to check it out too, but its gonna be 20$ for 20 minutes, right? Thats at least what I got from a preview:
Near the back of the bar, a makeshift theater held a single Rift-chair-PC rig; this was Fox’s venue for limited trials of the full 20-minute experience.

We need cheaper VR prices...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What are currently the "must buy" apps/games for PSVR?

Thumper
Tethered
Playroom VR (free)
Batman if you like... Batman, but its a shorter experience. Very impressive.
Bound if you like Flower/Journey style games
Rigs if you like MP FPS, have a filled wallet and an iron stomach
Harmonix VR if you like creative drawing & chilling to sights and sounds
DriveClub if you like driveclubbing

Then there is some more really good stuff with Eagle Flight, Headmaster, Wayward Sky, Battlezone, VEV, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood...

Many VR games have demoes, and I highly recommend checking out all of them. You might be surprised by a game in a genre you wouldnt have expected.

JSR_Cube

Just started RIGS. I played the demo and got quite sick when I first got the PSVR. I've played the first three or four matches and I'm not getting as sick. Of course, there are better viewing options in the main game as well. It's also a beautiful game on the Pro. I can't wait to dive back in. I also wondered why they chose one of the more challenging/confusing modes in the demo. I like the other game modes better than the one they chose in the demo so far.

Toma

Just started RIGS. I played the demo and got quite sick when I first got the PSVR. I've played the first three or four matches and I'm not getting as sick. Of course, there are better viewing options in the main game as well. It's also a beautiful game on the Pro. I can't wait to dive back in. I also wondered why they chose one of the more challenging/confusing modes in the demo. I like the other game modes better than the one they chose in the demo so far.

What is the difference in regard to the viewing options? I'd love to like Rigs, but the demo made me super sick.

What is the difference in regard to the viewing options? I'd love to like Rigs, but the demo made me super sick.

That seems really shitty. Part of the whole point of VR demos, for me, anyway, is to evaluate things like that. Seeing as how I've been looking forward to Rigs, it's disappointing that I might not want to buy it based on how my experience with the demo goes, even though it wouldn't necessarily match the experience of the full game.

nampad

Anyone own Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? I read somewhere that there is only 1 bomb defusal manual, is that true?
Kind of a bitter pill to swallow with that price. The review scores are surprisingly high and the Playroom mini games got me interested in the social screen games.

Also, any impressions on O My Genesis? Looks pretty fun for a small price. Can't find any reviews.

Toma

Anyone own Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? I read somewhere that there is only 1 bomb defusal manual, is that true?
Kind of a bitter pill to swallow with that price. The review scores are surprisingly high and the Playroom mini games got me interested in the social screen games.

Also, any impressions on O My Genesis? Looks pretty fun for a small price. Can't find any reviews.

Keep talking has multiple levels and randomized challenges that all work with the same defusal manual. Its a smart game that definitely works as a social experience, even more so because 1 player is "trapped" inside the VR and has a different experience than the other people just hoping he understands the commands. Becomes pointless once you learned the whole manual, but still works nicely with others.

O My Genesis was very, very cute, but there are 2-3 more planets that are currently not yet implemented. Going by VR pricing standards, I thought the $3 were very well invested for an hour (to finish all challenges) of cute and interesting fun with the potential for more planets down the road. I'd definitely recommend O my Genesis, but quick heads up, if your tracking gets stuck, just hit the PS button and then click on the game again (without closing it).

JSR_Cube

Here's a video of the tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0aIYjoa0U

You can see the options in there, I believe.

Basically, you can have it so just your head changes your viewpoint as opposed to head aiming and turning with the controller. You can also disable the ejections into mid-air that could add to the sickness. Finally, you can also alter the turning speed. RIGS experts could help out here with advice as I said I am just new to it.

nampad

Keep talking has multiple levels and randomized challenges that all work with the same defusal manual. Its a smart game that definitely works as a social experience, even more so because 1 player is "trapped" inside the VR and has a different experience than the other people just hoping he understands the commands. Becomes pointless once you learned the whole manual, but still works nicely with others.

O My Genesis was very, very cute, but there are 2-3 more planets that are currently not yet implemented. Going by VR pricing standards, I thought the $3 were very well invested for an hour (to finish all challenges) of cute and interesting fun with the potential for more planets down the road. I'd definitely recommend O my Genesis, but quick heads up, if your tracking gets stuck, just hit the PS button and then click on the game again (without closing it).

Thanks, think I will get O My Genesis for a short but fun experience, the price seems ok.
There are already so many games I want to try right now and I have barely played the ones I own.

Toma

Here's a video of the tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0aIYjoa0U

You can see the options in there, I believe.

Basically, you can have it so just your head changes your viewpoint as opposed to head aiming and turning with the controller. You can also disable the ejections into mid-air that could add to the sickness. Finally, you can also alter the turning speed. RIGS experts could help out here with advice as I said I am just new to it.

Thanks, thats very helpful info.

I'm probably never going to get tired of saying this, but I really hope that there are other studios trying to do what Arkham VR is doing. It's just so dang good. I know Rocksteady is done with it, but maybe some other studio can take on an LA Noire or similar detective experience like Arkham VR. Standing on top of that building or being in the alley are still probably the best VR experiences I've had and keep returning to.

Toma

I'm probably never going to get tired of saying this, but I really hope that there are other studios trying to do what Arkham VR is doing. It's just so dang good. I know Rocksteady is done with it, but maybe some other studio can take on an LA Noire or similar detective experience like Arkham VR. Standing on top of that building or being in the alley are still probably the best VR experiences I've had and keep returning to.

Cant wait to check that out again on PS4Pro without the foveated rendering, which annoyed me quite a bit.

Toma

So I went back and checked the past 2 weeks of this thread and apparently nobody else checked out Hyper Void? ($10)

hypervoid2-700x350.jpg.optimal.jpg

The graphics arent as great as in Thumper or the other polished VR titles, but apparently the game got the VR treatment via patch. The VR effect is very effective (aside from some weirdness in the main menu) and they throw different graphical styles and effects at you in each of the 29 levels. Each level apparently can unlock a hyper mode if you reach a certain highscore and has some hidden items as well.

Gameplay is relatively standard shmup fare with 3 different weapons, but they really have some neat ideas for enemy design, which works splendidly in VR, for example bombs exploding in your face, an enemy splitting up into tiny rockets hurling towards you or scorched ground around you.

Considering the VR prices, this really is a neat little game for 10 bucks that more people should give some attention to, as its a full game with some tough challenges that will keep you busy for a while. Make sure to download the VR addon after you bought it.

Just got a Pro/PSVR

What are the must have games that gives me that roller coaster like experience? I played Drive Club VR, and was scared that I would get extreme motion sickness due to how many people reported that, but I didn't feel any sickness whatsoever. I dunno, I feel like I'm immune to it. I love that butterflies in the stomach feeling, so which games will give me that?
Do be careful what you wish for, though :)

I thought similarly to you. However it's all very well feeling butterflies in the stomach, but quite another thing when, after close to an hour spent fliring with the sensation, you take the headset off only to find the feeling has taken root in some unspecified region of your body, and won't be a good sensation and disappear!

That's just happened to me after an hour playing VEV with fast turning on. I stupidly ignored all advice about not 'powering through', on the basis that I was having a lot of fun, so why stop. Great game, awful decision on my part. I won't be doing that again.

In answer to your question, try VEV! It requires a bit from the player in terms of paying attention and reading and learning at the beginning. Once you start to get the point of the game, it's a unique combination of flight sim and pac-man (based only on the tutorial and first level, so far). If you play it in an aggressive style, you will be doing hard turns, flying in one direction and looking in another ... It ought to give you that beautiful sick feeling!

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is an on-the-rails rollercoaster shooter. Thumper is intense too.

actually thumper doesn't have that rollercoaster feels.

So maybe they'll add content to thumper and make spinning loopy tracks that are like corkscrews and add more vertical space movement because its largely linear with a gradual rise/fall.

somme

actually thumper doesn't have that rollercoaster feels.

So maybe they'll add content to thumper and make spinning loopy tracks that are like corkscrews and add more vertical space movement because its largely linear with a gradual rise/fall.

Well, I mean, technically I just said Thumper is intense, which is it is.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I can't imagine anyone getting sick in Thumper. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is pretty mild, but far more likely to make someone sick than Thumper. Call of Duty:Jackal Assault is about my limit right now. I can finish one mission and then I'm done for a while.

Seeing the
Batwing fly in behind Penguin
in Arkham VR was the most 'Holy shit!' moment I've had in any artistic medium. I've replayed it on Pro already. So good.

I would love to check it out too, but its gonna be 20$ for 20 minutes, right? Thats at least what I got from a preview:

Wish they would have made it like the movie, just stuck in mars for a year doing the same shit trying to survive the elements Would it be so hard to implement a day night cycle and just repeat the same things until a year passes (in-game) and they rescue you.

Such a missed opportunity..

I can't imagine anyone getting sick in Thumper. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is pretty mild, but far more likely to make someone sick than Thumper. Call of Duty:Jackal Assault is about my limit right now. I can finish one mission and then I'm done for a while
Seeing the Batwing fly in behind Penguin was the most 'Holy shit!' moment I've had in any artistic medium. I've replayed it on Pro already. So good

I thought CODJA had low VR sickness. Only when you spin that it makes you go woah and even then its not that bad. I also didnt have too much of an issue in Eve. Even pilots have to deal with Gforce so your brain needs to deal with the space spinning

fixed that spoilers for you :p eeeee

TheMan

according to a reddit post, gamepro germany has stated that the martian VR experience lasts 20-30 minutes...costs 20 bucks.

ugh.

Grinchy

Banned
Has anyone else beaten Battlezone on Normal with a light tank to get the Hacker tank as a reward? Mine is bugged. Just wanted to see of anyone else had the same problem.

cakely

I just replayed Arkham VR and got 100% trophies.

It's still amazing. It's by far my favorite VR game on any platform. Please, more games of this quality level.

Peterthumpa

So guys, for people who have a nice rig and a Rift and people with the Pro - is the Pro patch, for say, Playroom VR or Batman VR, good enough to match the IQ between both headsets?

So yeah guys, I was cleaning up the other thread (the one with the list of games) and so far here is what we still have left for PS VR 2016 confirmed:

√ Physical / * Recommended / • Move Compatible / ◘ Campaign Component / ♦ Multiplayer Component
Ѧ PSVR Exclusive / Ѧ+ Timed Exclusive / † Sony Games / $ Game Priced / ¢ Experience Priced

November (4 confirmed)

HoloBall [November 22] • ¢

The Martian - VR Experience [November 15] • ¢

Time Machine VR [November 15] ¢

Space Rift - Episode 1 [November 15] ¢

December (3 Confirmed)

I Expect You To Die [December] • ¢

Rollercoaster Dreams [December 22] Ѧ ¢

Werewolves Within [December 6] √ ¢

2016 Titles (14 confirmed)

Adventure Time: Magic Man's Head Games [Q4 2016] ¢

Fated: The Silent Oath [Q4 2016] ◘ ¢

Filthy Lucre [Q4 2016] [VR Patched] [Free w/ Original Game Purchase] ¢

Final Fantasy XV VR Mode [Q4 2016] [VR Patched] Ѧ √ $

Futuridium EP Deluxe VR [Q4 2016] [VR Patched] [Free w/ Original Game Purchase] Ѧ ¢

How We Soar [Q4 2016] Ѧ ¢

Mortal Blitz VR [Q4 2016] [Asian Release] [Region-Free] • ¢

Pixel Ripped 1989 [Q4 2016] ¢

Proton Pulse [Q4 2016] • ¢

Psychonauts: In The Rhombus Of Ruin [Q4 2016] Ѧ ¢

Radial-G [Q4 2016] ¢

Space Slam [Q4 2016] ¢

Star Wars: Rogue One X-Wing VR [Q4 2016] [VR DLC] [Free w/ Original Game Purchase] Ѧ ¢

VR Tennis Online [Q4 2016] [Japan Release] [Region-Free] ♦ ¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom