• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozorov

I wish they'd release another episode of Scavenger's Oddyssey via DLC or something. That and more London Heist. Those are easily two of my favorite experiences in PSVR Worlds and left me wanting more.
Will try out Scavangers Oddyssey tonight. Looking forward to it

Kyolux

Anyone having issues buying things from their phone right now on PSN? Was trying to buy driveclub vr, o my genesis, harmonix and super stardust and getting errors when trying to pay.

Also, wasn't lethal VR supposed to come out like last week or something? Or was that only in UK/europe?

I don't have 7ft of play space :(

I wish the similar-looking game Audioshield would come to PSVR.

I think the audioshield-ish game was Holodance. Holoball is like racketball/squash (sp?).

somme

I wish they'd release another episode of Scavenger's Oddyssey via DLC or something. That and more London Heist. Those are easily two of my favorite experiences in PSVR Worlds and left me wanting more.

I could do with a whole game of London Heist. It needn't be any more than duck and cover sections and more van-type sections. I just wanted more!

I could do with a whole game of London Heist. It needn't be any more than duck and cover sections and more van-type sections. I just wanted more!
I really disliked the duck and cover section, as well as the reload mechanic in general.

I wish I could do the highway battle without having to manually reload :/

bumpkin

Will try out Scavangers Oddyssey tonight. Looking forward to it
The IQ isn't great - lots of blur in the distance - but the atmosphere is top notch. The story is kind of interesting too. It made me wish Nintendo were in the VR game and did a Metroid.

Chorazin

I really wish there were more non-game things to do with the VR. I love the apps that let me look at 360 3D photos on my GearVR, why don't we have some of those? Standing in a true to scale 3D image of Egyptian ruins is cool as hell!

The IQ isn't great - lots of blur in the distance - but the atmosphere is top notch. The story is kind of interesting too. It made me wish Nintendo were in the VR game and did a Metroid.
I also noticed Scavenger's Odyssey was exceptionally blurry.

Does the Pro improve it in any way?

somme

I really disliked the duck and cover section, as well as the reload mechanic in general.

I wish I could do the highway battle without having to manually reload :/

It wasn't too hard. Just make sure you always grab for a new clip after you've reloaded the old one. Hold onto it until you need it.

El-Suave

OK - my thoughts on The Martian VR Experience.

DO NOT spend €20 on this thing. It's maybe like 4 or 5 playable scenes, that last two minutes each and which require minimal interaction. Press a button here, pick up that thing etc.. If you've played Wayward Sky think of one of those work stations for a scene, there's 4 of them and that's it. All of this has been done better and more extensively in other games already. The scenes are loosely tied together by movie clips which make very little sense if you haven't seen the movie.
This would have been nice as a special feature that comes with a special edition of the movie, but this is NOT GOOD on its own. I'd have a hard time recommending this to fans of the movie for €5, but for €20 all I can do is warn you to spend your money on this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hope you've got your space legs. This was the first VR game to make me nauseous.

I love the atmosphere but what were they thinking by allowing you to jump to another asteroid while turning upside down etc...

If you can cope with this game then your VR legs are rock solid.

Are Areas 1-5 in Rez improved on the Pro, or just Area X?

I love the atmosphere but what were they thinking by allowing you to jump to another asteroid while turning upside down etc...

If you can cope with this game then your VR legs are rock solid.
I loved it. I love that "butterflies" feeling. For those of us who do not experience nausea in VR, it feels like a rollercoaster!

TheMan

DO NOT spend €20 on this thing. It's maybe like 4 or 5 playable scenes, that last two minutes each and which require minimal interaction. Press a button here, pick up that thing etc.. If you've played Wayward Sky think of one of those work stations for a scene, there's 4 of them and that's it. All of this has been done better and more extensively in other games already. The scenes are loosely tied together by movie clips which make very little sense if you haven't seen the movie.
This would have been nice as a special feature that comes with a special edition of the movie, but this is NOT GOOD on its own. I'd have a hard time recommending this to fans of the movie for €5, but for €20 all I can do is warn you to spend your money on this.

Goddammit that's what I was afraid of. Some people here seem to be hostile to early impressions from the PSVR subreddit, but they seem to line up with later consensus pretty well.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Thanks for the warning. More reason for others to check out Hyper Void. :p

nice find man...jumping back into VR this weekend, will check it out...

Yeah, really surprised me that Hyper Void barely was mentioned here before. Played the first few levels and its quite competent. Another case of a game clearly better in VR, but definitely worth checking out.

Glix

I've had the flu the last few days and I've been out of town and stuff...

What were the impressions of Eagle Flight?

I really wish there were more non-game things to do with the VR. I love the apps that let me look at 360 3D photos on my GearVR, why don't we have some of those? Standing in a true to scale 3D image of Egyptian ruins is cool as hell!
In the UK at least there's a free app/game called Littlestar Cinema, which seems to want to connect you to 360° content from around the place. It's ... A bit poor, but a reasonable example of how this kind of thing might evolve. The bits from Discovery Channel seemed best, there was one with lionesses playing with some dude which was almost incredible and a great example of VR quite effortlessly taking people to places they'd never normally be willing or able to go.

Unfortunately it also highlighted how limited and actually quite crap 360° content really is, compared to motion tracked and rendered graphics. With these lionesses you just wished you could get closer, get clearer. Or even just lean and change your point of view even slightly. Certainly that one video just didn't get close enough to its subject for my interest or satisfaction, and with these videos you're limited to what you're given.

There was also a boxing match, which kept changing perspective - wide, close, and from different corners of the ring. What this made clear was how control of this kind of thing really needs to be given into the hands of the VR user. Let me switch cameras; otherwise it's just disorienting and distracting.

(Agreed with those who enjoy just hanging out at the end of Jackal Assault. It's perfect. Sometimes you feel you can tell when something was designed and commissioned by developers, who've tried VR, or by managers and execs, who haven't. This was a clear example of the former)

Mula

Ok thx.

Are there any impressions on Space Rift ?

Loudninja

New PlayStation VR sci-fi sim Space Rift channels Wing Commander and X-Wing
The actual idea behind Space Rift came mainly from the development of VR technology, and after the initial tests with the VR headset, we knew that we definitely wanted to develop something for it! We really want to create an experience where you can really immerse yourself in the game world.

Space Rift first started with an idea inspired by old games such as Wing Commander and X-Wing. A game concept that suits virtual reality, giving you the feeling that you’re really flying around in space, that you’re sitting in a spaceship’s cockpit and are free to look around, interact with its control panels and such.

When we compare our original design document to what we have now, the game’s changed completely.
But what is that story?

After a devastating meteor shower, Earth has turned into a desert wasteland. Humanity has been forced to relocate to Mars, where they live under the strict leadership of megacorps Weyss and Pandora.

You take on the role of Casey Black, who has been slaving away as a pilot for Weyss. After being labeled a traitor by a computer error, your only chance to survive is joining the rebels of the Anoxia Station.

There you find out about their secret project: the S.E.E.D – a mysterious device which could lead to humanity’s salvation.
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...id=798582592601616386&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

Sounds like this my be my next VR purchase. I still want to get Rush of Blood and Job sim at some point. Havent played Valkyrie as much as I wanted.

If you're expecting anything more than flying as an eagle, dont get it. But if you know what youre signing up for, it's a blast.

Time trials, flying through the rings, multiplayer 3v3 capture the flag style, open world flying through paris is a blast, bunch of collectibles like Ubisoft always does too but not an oppressive amount.

If you're expecting anything more than flying as an eagle, dont get it. But if you know what youre signing up for, it's a blast.

Time trials, flying through the rings, multiplayer 3v3 capture the flag style, open world flying through paris is a blast, bunch of collectibles like Ubisoft always does too but not an oppressive amount.

Sounds very cool - is it open, or completely on rails?

Ozorov

Just played the whole Scavengers Odyssey and I gotta admit I feel a little bit weird right now haha. But it was a very cool game

El-Suave

Sounds very cool - is it open, or completely on rails?

The city is completely open to fly through and explore. There are sort of on rails challenges in the Metro tunnels. Eagle Flight is one of the best VR games you can get at the moment.

On the opposite end of the spectrum - my niece just played the Martian and even she hated it. I deleted it off my HDD already which may be a record.

The city is completely open to fly through and explore. There are sort of on rails challenges in the Metro tunnels. Eagle Flight is one of the best VR games you can get at the moment.

On the opposite end of the spectrum - my niece just played the Martian and even she hated it. I deleted it off my HDD already which may be a record.

Nice thank you - I'll give Eagle Flight a try!

I'm sure this has been brought up already, but why in the world is Robinson: The Journey a full $60 on PSN? Amazon, Target, Best Buy, and Walmart all sell it for $40. Unless for the convenience of having it on their hard drive, why would anyone buy the digital version?

nampad

So I decided to buy O! My Genesis and then I noticed it isn't available on the German store :(
Guess I will jump for Headmaster and Holoball because both will get me to move a bit. Wish they would make a sequel to The Fight, which was pretty good on PS3.

Go have a look at the manual

http://www.bombmanual.com/

By the time you and any friends are fully through that and defusing all the bombs, you'll have had your monies worth.

You get a manual on the TV screen but can print out as many copies as you want.

The manual is 30 pages long and bombs start with 3 modules and work their way up to 12, I believe - haven't got that far.

I played it non-stop with friends for four hours and we solved about 10 bombs? We were pretty drunk but, yeah, it'll last you quite a while.

Thanks for the feedback. I knew the manual is longer but I didn't know there were different bombs.
Social games are something I barely get to play because when my buddies are over, we just play PES/Fifa anyways. The Playroom stuff was pretty fun with a coworker though so I am thinking about it.
Can kids describe the manual well enough? Might be a nice game for Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom