• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

Hey guys. I've been away from this thread and VR in general because of all of the other games releasing, but decided I wanted to take a break tonight from AAA stuff and do some VR.

I finally did Scavenger's Odyssey on PS Worlds. I was completely mistaken as to what type of game it is. I thought it was a puzzle thing in space. It's actually a really neat linear adventure with some 2001 type stuff. It's a tad short but I thought it was great. PS Worlds is definitely overpriced, but now that I think about it, some of my best experiences have been with it. I still play Danger Ball now and then because it scratches that simple Pong itch. I'm starting to rethink the value proposition for Worlds, just because of the quality of everything on there. Luge is the only below average experience.

That VR racing thread earlier inspired me to give the Cruise mode in DCVR a shot, and that guy was right. It was awesome just chilling out and going for a drive. I know we've shit on Evo for some of the subpar graphics work, but some of the environmental stuff, particularly in Norway and Japan, is outstanding. Give Cruise mode a shot so you can appreciate the fine work they did without the pressure of a race.

beef3483

Is there some secret to aiming in Headmaster? The demo really put me off, despite wanting to like it for the writing. I'm pretty sure I was doing the proper heading motion it teaches you but it felt super tough to do anything with intention.

Timing is important. Not just placement. It doesn't explain this but it is.

Ozorov

Any words about Statik? Looks very interesting

https://youtu.be/xFVdjg8lXtI

Edit: Statik is a VR puzzle-mystery, where you join Dr Ingen and his delightful assistant Edith on a journey to unravel the complexities of the human mind. Awaking to each new day with a unique, hand-mounted puzzle device to solve, you must use your brain, eyes and ears to solve each mystery. But, this being VR, it’s hard to know which of these can be trusted…

This Playstation VR exclusive is Tarsier’s first ever self-published title and is planned for release in early 2017.

Feep

Banned
So, I'm a little concerned. I just set up my PSVR and the process went perfectly, except the very last step...plugging in headphones, either the supplied or my own pair, into the little dongle off of the headset doesn't switch the audio from the television to the headphones. Is my little dongle thingy broken? Is there anything I need to do? The menus seemed to imply there were no options and this should be automatic.

halp ; ;

EDIT: IGNORE ME A REBOOT FIXED IT

So, I'm a little concerned. I just set up my PSVR and the process went perfectly, except the very last step...plugging in headphones, either the supplied or my own pair, into the little dongle off of the headset doesn't switch the audio from the television to the headphones. Is my little dongle thingy broken? Is there anything I need to do? The menus seemed to imply there were no options and this should be automatic.

halp ; ;

EDIT: IGNORE ME A REBOOT FIXED IT

Being fair when I plug in headphones the audio passes through both, I then just turn the TV off or the partner watches something else whilst I "guide in some planes" with my move controllers.

Wallach

Anyone have weird issues with PSVR on the Pro?

I've been messing about with PSVR tonight and twice it just kind of blacked out on me for about 2 seconds, then resumed like nothing had happened. Also once during Battlezone I had audio start dropping out for 1 second or so every ~15 seconds until it dropped entirely, and I had to reboot the game to get audio back.

Anyone have weird issues with PSVR on the Pro?

I've been messing about with PSVR tonight and twice it just kind of blacked out on me for about 2 seconds, then resumed like nothing had happened. Also once during Battlezone I had audio start dropping out for 1 second or so every ~15 seconds until it dropped entirely, and I had to reboot the game to get audio back.
Yeah a lot of us are having this issue. This is a possible fix:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=224304003

Anyone try The Martian VR Experience yet? It's up in the UK for £15.99. I like the movie and generally that kind of sci fi stuff but the only report I can find on the duration of it says it's around 30 min...

somme

I've bought The Martian VR Experience - but I won't be able to review it until tomorrow. It says it's a 3gb download before you buy, and then when it actually starts downloading it turns into an 11gb download. My Internet is awfully slow, it won't be done until later tonight.

I've bought The Martian VR Experience - but I won't be able to review it until tomorrow. It says it's a 3gb download before you buy, and then when it actually starts downloading it turns into an 11gb download. My Internet is awfully slow, it won't be done until later tonight.

Ah okay, will be interesting to read what people think, I'm willing to bite if it's good. Got friends over at the weekend so the more I have to show the better, although already have quite a few games :)

somme

My thinking is that if it's good, (and I obviously hope it's good) it'll be a neat way to introduce people to VR, or give them another short experience at parties, etc.

Either way I'm guessing it's probably very overpriced, but we shall see!

El-Suave

The Martian is downloading now, should be able to give my impressions in a few hours. My niece liked the movie and she loves VR, so having another fresh bit of demo material is what made me buy it.

somme

Anyone own Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? I read somewhere that there is only 1 bomb defusal manual, is that true?

You get a manual on the TV screen but can print out as many copies as you want.

The manual is 30 pages long and bombs start with 3 modules and work their way up to 12, I believe - haven't got that far.

I played it non-stop with friends for four hours and we solved about 10 bombs? We were pretty drunk but, yeah, it'll last you quite a while.

Go have a look at the manual

http://www.bombmanual.com/

By the time you and any friends are fully through that and defusing all the bombs, you'll have had your monies worth.

You get a manual on the TV screen but can print out as many copies as you want.

The manual is 30 pages long and bombs start with 3 modules and work their way up to 12, I believe - haven't got that far.

I played it non-stop with friends for four hours and we solved about 10 bombs? We were pretty drunk but, yeah, it'll last you quite a while.

Also the beauty is that they can just patch the game, update the manual and you have new puzzles in there.

Whether they decide to do that is another matter, but having the manual as an evolving document means it can change and expand as they wish.

Piichan

Banned
This is gonna sound silly, but I love hanging out at the high score screen of the CoD Jackal mission, floating in space above earth.

Eighthours

Balboa

How long does it take you guys to charge your Move controllers? Mine have been going nearly 4 hours now, wondering if that's normal?

I don't read any of that in that piece. Where are you getting it from?

Sorry. It was walking around the tracks and inside the cars.

This quote:

“The tracks are very interesting in VR,” he smiles. “But we’re letting you explore the environments in virtual reality, such as the interior of cars. I think that kind of subtle usage is best for VR.”

Right before that he talks about first person driving and that sounds encouraging.

Maybe I am reading it wrong?

Chris_C

This has happened to me a few times with PS4 games recently. It's baffling. The store says one size and then start downloading and the game is much larger.

Anyone try Space Rift? It doesn't look great in the trailers, but it's so hard to judge VR games without a hands on or trustworthy opinions.

Sorry. It was walking around the tracks and inside the cars.

This quote:

Right before that he talks about first person driving and that sounds encouraging.

Maybe I am reading it wrong?

Ah so you are assuming that we won't be able to take photos of the interiors outside of VR? GT has never strictly let us do that previously, but don't assume that his talk is directly related to photomode. He's right in what he says, sitting in the cockpit of a car in DC is amazing and being able to naturally look around is perfect. Much better than using the left stick to look, I think that's all he is getting at.

Did anyone else read the Ps blog about GT sport? The comments about photo mode being subdued and better for VR makes me sad.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...mo-sport-makes-the-most-of-ps4-pro-and-ps-vr/

As someone that can withstand any and all VR without a hint of motion sickness it's dispointing that all of the developers are starting to talk like this.

I didn't really get that impression from the piece but I agree with your sentiments though. A game with forced comfort settings is immediately diminished in enjoyment for me, Eagle Flight and Trackmania for example. I think I'm at the point now where if a game doesn't feature a variety of comfort options ranging from the tame to the none existent (I want to be able to remove them) then it is a no buy.

So I went back and checked the past 2 weeks of this thread and apparently nobody else checked out Hyper Void? ($10)

hypervoid2-700x350.jpg.optimal.jpg

The graphics arent as great as in Thumper or the other polished VR titles, but apparently the game got the VR treatment via patch. The VR effect is very effective (aside from some weirdness in the main menu) and they throw different graphical styles and effects at you in each of the 29 levels. Each level apparently can unlock a hyper mode if you reach a certain highscore and has some hidden items as well.

Gameplay is relatively standard shmup fare with 3 different weapons, but they really have some neat ideas for enemy design, which works splendidly in VR, for example bombs exploding in your face, an enemy splitting up into tiny rockets hurling towards you or scorched ground around you.

Considering the VR prices, this really is a neat little game for 10 bucks that more people should give some attention to, as its a full game with some tough challenges that will keep you busy for a while. Make sure to download the VR addon after you bought it.
nice find man...jumping back into VR this weekend, will check it out...

Been trying to get my Platinum for Valkyria Chronicles which has been sucking up all my time, but I'm itching to get back into Thumper now, especially since I got my PS4 Pro hooked up.

somme

Anyone try Space Rift? It doesn't look great in the trailers, but it's so hard to judge VR games without a hands on or trustworthy opinions.

I've tried the first 20 minutes. Some elements are awful (voice acting, writing) but the gameplay could be promising. Need more time with it.

ultron87

Did Rez Area X last night. That was everything it was hyped up to be. Man that was good. Please make Rez 2 like that. Please.

Also Tumble seems really really good for a 10 dollar game.

Ozorov

Asked Tarsier Studios about a Statik-demo before release. They said that they will (hopefully) hade some information to share soon

bumpkin

I wish they'd release another episode of Scavenger's Oddyssey via DLC or something. That and more London Heist. Those are easily two of my favorite experiences in PSVR Worlds and left me wanting more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom