• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadHand

I`m looking forward to when the some of these VR games begin to hit PSN Flash Sales. The prices for some of these short experiences are really off putting.

Grinchy

Banned
Just went ahead and beat the last level in Tethered. It's sad that I'm "done" with it. I'm still going after the last few trophies I don't have, but I hate that it's over. My only complaints are moronic Peeps and occasionally poor controls.

The moronic Peeps issue involves things like when they drop the item they're holding as an enemy is near. Then the fight ends, and they stand there. Even when another enemy is 2 feet away, they stare off into space, with food disappearing and other Peeps dying, and they do nothing. It's impossible to keep up with all of them and all the moronic things that happen at night. There are many moronic scenarios I won't get into.

The poor controls issue mostly just involves trying to tell a Peep to do something but you're using your head to point to what they need to do. If multiple options are close by, getting the right one is very finicky, and in the meantime, all the moronic things are going on simultaneously.

Fisty

Anybody get the Collective Minds VR charging station thing on Amazon? Seems to be temporarily out of stock for now. Need impressions of that and the IVSO one before I pull the trigger, I don't mind waiting but I want to get the better stand

Anybody get the Collective Minds VR charging station thing on Amazon? Seems to be temporarily out of stock for now. Need impressions of that and the IVSO one before I pull the trigger, I don't mind waiting but I want to get the better stand

Mine shipped from best buy a couple of days ago so I hope it's good. I can certainly post impressions when it arrives.

Plasma

Banned
So I bought and finished the Martian VR experience, don't buy that "game". You spend more time looking at loading screens and clips from the movie than you do actually playing it and the parts you do play are extremely short segments that have really terrible tracking.

El-Suave

For anyone interested, I'm watching this Kyle Bosman (Easy Allies) Let's Play right now to decide if I should buy either Eagle Flight or Robinson (when it's cheaper). He's playing on the Pro.

His VR coverage for EZA is greatly appreciated, he's the only Ally who bought PS VR while most of them got a Pro. :(
Just be aware that he's playing Eagle Flight "wrong" though before you make your decision. You just tilt your head to varying degrees instead of turning it (that's why he's getting that gentle error message so often) and the game is best played sitting down. Most games are except for those that ask you to stand. That makes playing the game much more relaxing than it looks in his video while it still retains its challenge. The same goes for Robinson. It also might be why he is so exhausted at the end.

Btw, had a friend come round last night. He had the headset on and the social screen was black. I had to change HDMIs channels (on the tv with the remote) before it came back. Definitely needs to be fixed.

Has sony issued comments re: this?

*Splinter

Happy with Battlezone. Impressions in here promised a solid co-op shooter and it lives up to that.

Only problem with it is that most weapon types are annoying to use. Too much locking on or reloading makes the game feel more slow paced than it should be. Abilities are also kind of useless and you quickly realise the only viable strategy is to max healing and bunch up. More interesting abilities could have allowed for more variety in play styles.

I like the structure of the game though. Only done short campaigns (all difficulties) so far but I can imagine a long campaign with some buddies could feel a lot like a board game night.

Hmm... Now I'm imagining a mix of BattleZone and Mario Party for some competitive fun... hopefully we get a sequel with some more game modes.

Anyone who still plays, feel free to add me: BOL-EvilSplinter

ultron87

Btw, had a friend come round last night. He had the headset on and the social screen was black. I had to change HDMIs channels (on the tv with the remote) before it came back. Definitely needs to be fixed.

Has sony issued comments re: this?

Sounds like HDCP issues. I was having similar stuff where picture or headset sound would cut out.

Fix posted earlier in the thread got it working for me: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=224304003 (Thanks for that, Jacksinthe!)

chippy13

His VR coverage for EZA is greatly appreciated, he's the only Ally who bought PS VR while most of them got a Pro. :(
Just be aware that he's playing Eagle Flight "wrong" though before you make your decision. You just tilt your head to varying degrees instead of turning it (that's why he's getting that gentle error message so often) and the game is best played sitting down. Most games are except for those that ask you to stand. That makes playing the game much more relaxing than it looks in his video while it still retains its challenge. The same goes for Robinson. It also might be why he is so exhausted at the end.

Really loving eagle flight. Like you said, it can be a really relaxing experience just flying around the city and then you can turn it up a notch by just diving down through the buildings.

Edit: just saw that I'm a member now, sweet.

So I bought and finished the Martian VR experience, don't buy that "game". You spend more time looking at loading screens and clips from the movie than you do actually playing it and the parts you do play are extremely short segments that have really terrible tracking.

Thanks for taking one for the team.
Sorry you had to waste you time and money. But you have saved many others (including myself) from wasting £20.

Keldor

Has anyone figured out a solution to the headset drifting issues yet? I've had them since day one and just updated to the Pro and am still having them. My headset keeps drifting to the left. It seems to be worse in some games than others. Battlezone consistently has this problem. I tried putting my camera both above and below my tv. I'm also sitting in front of the left lense of the camera instead of the middle. I'm sitting about 7-8 feet away from the camera. I'm debating on whether I should contact Sony about this or just return the unit as it's been really frustrating.

Shoeless

Has anyone figured out a solution to the headset drifting issues yet? I've had them since day one and just updated to the Pro and am still having them. My headset keeps drifting to the left. It seems to be worse in some games than others. Battlezone consistently has this problem. I tried putting my camera both above and below my tv. I'm also sitting in front of the left lense of the camera instead of the middle. I'm sitting about 7-8 feet away from the camera. I'm debating on whether I should contact Sony about this or just return the unit as it's been really frustrating.

Have you eliminated other possible factors like light and distance? What's the lighting situation like in your room, and can you reduce your distance to the camera by a couple of feet and get it within 5-6 feet just for testing purposes?

Keldor

Have you eliminated other possible factors like light and distance? What's the lighting situation like in your room, and can you reduce your distance to the camera by a couple of feet and get it within 5-6 feet just for testing purposes?
Yeah, I tried playing at night with all of the lights off. Kind of hard to move any closer because of my setup. I could try moving a little closer for testing purposes but moving my seating that close would be impractical in the long run. When everything is working properly, the experience is amazing. I was hoping the drifting issue could be solved by a firmware update. Would exchanging the unit make any difference?

Shoeless

Yeah, I tried playing at night with all of the lights off. Kind of hard to move any closer because of my setup. I could try moving a little closer for testing purposes but moving my seating that close would be impractical in the long run. When everything is working properly, the experience is amazing. I was hoping the drifting issue could be solved by a firmware update. Would exchanging the unit make any difference?

Is it safe to assume you've also tried the complete power down work-around? The one where you actually shut the PS4 off, as opposed to keeping it in rest mode?

androvsky

I doubt exchanging it will help much. The gyro tracking will always drift, so camera tracking needs to be able to compensate for it. Try turning off the PS4 and breakout box completely (don't use rest mode) and see if that helps if sitting closer isn't feasible. Firmware updates can help in theory, but it means waiting on Sony.

The drift is very frustrating, I spent a decent chunk of a Battlezone mission last night facing straight out the left window. But I know my couch is too far back, tracking is miserable unless I sit closer.

Keldor

Is it safe to assume you've also tried the complete power down work-around? The one where you actually shut the PS4 off, as opposed to keeping it in rest mode?
Yes. I tried that too. Every time I make any adjustments to the camera position, I also recalibrate the headset and controllers as well. I haven't been reading much about drifting issues lately so I was hoping that people had figured out what was causing it by now. Thanks for the help btw. :)

androvsky

Yes. I tried that too. Every time I make any adjustments to the camera position, I also recalibrate the headset and controllers as well. I haven't been reading much about drifting issues lately so I was hoping that people had figured out what was causing it by now. Thanks for the help btw. :)

Consider moving the camera closer, you can get extension cables on Amazon and the camera doesn't have to be anywhere near the TV for VR. It might be easier to just set it on a little stand on a table vs. moving where you're sitting.

Keldor

Consider moving the camera closer, you can get extension cables on Amazon and the camera doesn't have to be anywhere near the TV for VR. It might be easier to just set it on a little stand on a table vs. moving where you're sitting.
Thanks. I'll try and figure something out tonight about how to move things closer and see if that helps.

I got the chance to finish the last couple of levels on tethered tonight, now with the added benefit of the Pro.

Game wise it's a fantastic game that is charming, fun but also can be quite tough and requires you to be on the ball 100% of the time. The last level I had one point where I lost all my peeps bar one due to stupid monsters and didn't think I would survive but I managed to hold on and get enough spirit energy to finish the game.

Pro wise - makes a massive difference, the game was great before but the added detail really helped and I tended to get distracted looking at the brick and tile details on field walls and buildings lol.

I had the same thing happening with thumper on the Pro, I would get distracted looking at the scale of everything and end up missing beats.

I also played around with playroom vr some more and the Pro again does a fantastic job. I thought the game looked great before but playing it now and everything just feels even more real and engaging. Seeing the water detail when you wall up to the haunted house is pretty damn crazy.

I can't wait to try out other vr games with the Pro, it just adds an extra something that increases the immersion I didn't think was possible since I already felt that the psvr had it. I actually didn't mind the graphics quality for the kitchen demo so thinking about how the full game is going to be is blowing my mind. That game is the one I can't wait to play, going to be quite the experience.

OK so I've had a little play on Space Rift:

Graphics do the job, it's not amazing but serviceable.
The voice acting is atrocious (I switched to subs only after about 2 mins)
The ship cockpit is nice, you look at different screens and press x to access them. The ships flashlight is on a button above your head which made me laugh.
The flight of the ship is smooth and it feels nice swooping around asteroids. On that note mining is pretty cool. You scan an asteroid then deploy a drill from one of your screens. It spins around the asteroid (on your hud and you press x to deploy the drill. You time it to be over pockets of minerals and then collect.) You have limited probes to drill though so you can't just amass a huge amount of minerals (so far anyway)
There is a basic upgrade system to your ship and weapons etc but so far I haven't earned enough to explore it. Looks OK though with a few options.

The story....At least they are trying. It feels like effort has gone into it but I've read that episode 1 is fairly short (approx 3 hrs) and that it ends on a cliffhanger.

Overall I'm fairly pleased so far but if it ends abruptly as I'm getting into it I'm going to be annoyed!! I'm worried if it's short that I won't be able to get lots of upgrades and credits etc. The game tries to be humorous at times but I personally would like a more serious vibe.

Not perfect by any stretch and with concerns about length I would say worth a go if you like the wing commander or freespace games of old. The price isn't bad and effort has gone into this.

One step closer to my dream of a fully fledged single player space sim.....just not yet

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Just as a heads up, I returned mine after following it for a few weeks and trying countless setups. I've still been following it hoping something comes out as the sort of "silver bullet" but as we get further from launch it seems less and less likely. For some people they're either not experiencing it for whatever reason, or they just accept it. Personally my constant focus on it really kept me from enjoying it so I had to return it. I sincerely doubt exchanging your headset will do anything.

Shikoba

The ship cockpit is nice, you look at different screens and press x to access them. The ships flashlight is on a button above your head which made me laugh.
The flight of the ship is smooth and it feels nice swooping around asteroids. On that note mining is pretty cool. You scan an asteroid then deploy a drill from one of your screens. It spins around the asteroid (on your hud and you press x to deploy the drill. You time it to be over pockets of minerals and then collect.) You have limited probes to drill though so you can't just amass a huge amount of minerals (so far anyway)
There is a basic upgrade system to your ship and weapons etc but so far I haven't earned enough to explore it. Looks OK though with a few options.

The story....At least they are trying. It feels like effort has gone into it but I've read that episode 1 is fairly short (approx 3 hrs) and that it ends on a cliffhanger.

Overall I'm fairly pleased so far but if it ends abruptly as I'm getting into it I'm going to be annoyed!! I'm worried if it's short that I won't be able to get lots of upgrades and credits etc. The game tries to be humorous at times but I personally would like a more serious vibe.

Not perfect by any stretch and with concerns about length I would say worth a go if you like the wing commander or freespace games of old. The price isn't bad and effort has gone into this.

One step closer to my dream of a fully fledged single player space sim.....just not yet

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. For 15.99 (Plus price) I might give it a go. Seems fun enough

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Great impressions. Thanks.

I've read reviews where folks have said that the scale is a bit off. How do you find it?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do not buy The Martian. It's pretty cool, but it's only about 10 minutes long.

Absolutely absurd they are asking $20 for it. It feels like a free movie promotional thing they decided to try to milk some dev cost back on.

Great impressions. Thanks.

I've read reviews where folks have said that the scale is a bit off. How do you find it?

I've found it ok, other than the 2 characters I've met seem a little short ( but not stupidly). To be fair I've had that on most games (rigs in particular)

1st mission proper is to do with a moon and the sense of scale on that was good

Loudninja

PSVR Worlds pro details
I thought I’d go into detail on the PS4 Pro improvements we made to VR Worlds, as I know some of you are curious. General improvements are:

• Increased resolution
  • Improved lighting with higher resolution shadows, and more lights casting shadows
  • Screen space ambient occlusion where previously not present
  • Anisotropic filtering improvements
We also added screen space reflections to The London Heist and Scavengers Odyssey, and volumetric shadowed lighting and improved forcefield effects to Danger Ball.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've found it ok, other than the 2 characters I've met seem a little short ( but not stupidly). To be fair I've had that on most games (rigs in particular)

1st mission proper is to do with a moon and the sense of scale on that was good

Great. Thanks.

Bebpo

Banned
Any chance the VR Hardware will get any sales/bundles over the holidays? Would like to get PS VR at some point but not in a hurry and waiting for some deals.

chippy13

I actually found that my tracking was worse in complete darkness. Not sure if it was picking up reflections of the lights on objects or what. My best setup seems to be a darker room with some ambient light behind the camera to give the room a bit more light.

YMMV

El-Suave

What's the shooting/mining(?) like? The lasers looked really bad in the trailer, like it's hard to aim and do any damage.

I've mostly noted it as a gyro issue.

Before putting it on, shake the headset like a can of soda, if the issue temporarily stops then you know you have a problem with the inner gyros in your headset, if the problem persists it has something to do with your setup. Try it out

somme

Only posting the link again because people keep asking for impressions on lots of games. I've reviewed a load here: https://psvr-reviews.com/

So far I've reviewed:

Robinson: The Journey
Tethered
Eagle Flight
Pixel Gear
Thumper
Job Simulator
Windlands
Gunjack
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Carnival Games VR
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.
VEV: Viva Ex Vivo

I'm adding one to two reviews a day. Will hopefully get Space Rift and Martian VR reviews up tomorrow. I've only briefly tried Space Rift and Martian is still downloading.

I do hope posting this every few pages isn't a bannable offence - just keep seeing people asking for impressions. (And to be fair, I started writing the reviews 'cos you guys urged me too lol)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Only posting the link again because people keep asking for impressions on lots of games. I've reviewed a load here: https://psvr-reviews.com/

So far I've reviewed:

Robinson: The Journey
Tethered
Eagle Flight
Pixel Gear
Thumper
Job Simulator
Windlands
Gunjack
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Carnival Games VR
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

I'm adding one to two reviews a day. Will hopefully get Space Rift and Martian VR reviews up tomorrow. I've only briefly tried Space Rift and Martian is still downloading.

I do hope posting this every few pages isn't a bannable offence - just keep seeing people asking for impressions. (And to be fair, I started writing the reviews 'cos you guys urged me too lol)

Do Harmonix VR (especially Easel mode), you havent experienced anything like it yet.

majik13

So I got a 40 dollar Target card, is Robinson worth it?

I have so far
Batman
DCVR
EVE
RIGS
Until Dawn
VEV
Battlezone
Eagle Flight

chippy13

Hey guys, need some help picking between Tethered and Rush of Blood. I know they are both totally different types of games so it may be hard to compare the two. I'll probably end up getting both eventually, just looking for impressions as to which one will provide a longer experience for now.

Grinchy

Banned
Hey guys, need some help picking between Tethered and Rush of Blood. I know they are both totally different types of games so it may be hard to compare the two. I'll probably end up getting both eventually, just looking for impressions as to which one will provide a longer experience for now.

The longer experience is easily Tethered, even if you don't go after trophies. If you do go after trophies, it's like 10 times longer than Until Dawn haha

Shoeless

I really want someone to develop an art creation game like the easel mode. I want to create 3D VR sculptures I can walk through and share with others.

It's happening. Media Molecule, the guys that made LittleBigPlanet are making another "game/experience creator" for the PS4 called Dreams that uses Move and has a VR mode, and will include sculpting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom