• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvard

Alright guys so after one cool demo of the London Heist at a Sony store, I walked out with both a PS4 Pro and a PSVR Launch Bundle. I've set it up and have played a bit of the demos on the demo disc and PS VR Worlds and so far:

1) London Heist has been by far my favorite experience. I love how natural the interactions felt. Is there anything else like it?

2) Harmonix Music VR with the 3D sculpting blew my mind. This is a whole new dimension and it would be awesome to see more of stuff like this.

3) Driveclub VR, RIGS and Scavenger's Odyssey made me feel sick. They didn't send had me vomiting right away but I could only do one short session before I had to turn them off and take a break. I'm guessing it has to do with the movement.

4) EVE Valkryie I only had the demo to play and it was pretty short, but it seemed okay in terms of motion sickness. Is the game fun? $60 is no joke for a game I might not even be able to play for long periods of time.

So, I haven't bought any games yet, but based on the few demos I've liked a lot I have to admit that this technology is amazing. I hadn't tried VR at all before so I'm pretty impressed. That said, is there anyway to combat the motion sickness that I've felt with the aforementioned games? Are most games like that? This is what my Amazon cart currently looks like:

skB3nuS.png

What are the definitive VR experiences on PSVR right now?

Well shit. The right side rubber strap on my PSVR snapped.

It's been a little over a month but I'm asking Amazon to replace it.

A big fear of mine. So what happens? The headset just doesn't snap back when you pull on it? You can still wear it and tighten it right?

Good luck.
Alright guys so after one cool demo of the London Heist at a Sony store, I walked out with both a PS4 Pro and a PSVR Launch Bundle. I've set it up and have played a bit of the demos on the demo disc and PS VR Worlds and so far:

1) London Heist has been by far my favorite experience. I love how natural the interactions felt. Is there anything else like it?

2) Harmonix Music VR with the 3D sculpting blew my mind. This is a whole new dimension and it would be awesome to see more of stuff like this.

3) Driveclub VR, RIGS and Scavenger's Odyssey made me feel sick. They didn't send had me vomiting right away but I could only do one short session before I had to turn them off and take a break. I'm guessing it has to do with the movement.

4) EVE Valkryie I only had the demo to play and it was pretty short, but it seemed okay in terms of motion sickness. Is the game fun? $60 is no joke for a game I might not even be able to play for long periods of time.

So, I haven't bought any games yet, but based on the few demos I've liked a lot I have to admit that this technology is amazing. I hadn't tried VR at all before so I'm pretty impressed. That said, is there anyway to combat the motion sickness that I've felt with the aforementioned games? Are most games like that? This is what my Amazon cart currently looks like:

skB3nuS.png

For me Batman Arkham VR and Job Simulator are my favorite experiences so far with PSVR. Anything that makes proper use of the Move controllers will take immersion in VR to the next level.

majik13

skB3nuS.png

Most would recommend Batman, Thumper, Rez, Until Dawn, etc.

And yeah I think some of that motion sickness treatments work. You could try something with ginger. Also you may be able to revisit those nasuea inducing games later after you get some more VR under your belt. Lots of people have claimed becoming more tolerant over time. But dont try to power through any sickness, just immediatly take a break if it starts to creep up.

Fortunatly, I havent had much to any motion sickneas on PSVR. Nothing nearly as bad as stuff on GEAR VR.

Silvard

Most would recommend Batman, Thumper, Rez, Until Dawn, etc.

And yeah I think some of that motion sickness treatments work. You could try something with ginger. Also you may be able to revisit those nasuea inducing games later after you get some more VR under your belt. Lots of people have claimed becoming more tolerant over time. But dont try to power through any sickness, just immediatly take a break if it starts to creep up.

Fortunatly, I havent had much to any motion sickneas on PSVR. Nothing nearly as bad as stuff on GEAR VR.

Is Until Dawn scary? I know that's the pedigree, but I'm not really good with scary games.

I've heard lots of good things about Batman, Thumper and Rez. Is Batman highly mobile or more static? I played the Rez demo but it didn't seem like it was that much more immersive with VR, but that might have just been the demo.

How about EVE? What's the consensus on the game? I like sci-fi and space and the EVE Online setting, but no point in spending that much on a game that might not be that enjoyable.

Chris_C

Is Until Dawn scary? I know that's the pedigree, but I'm not really good with scary games.

I've heard lots of good things about Batman, Thumper and Rez. Is Batman highly mobile or more static? I played the Rez demo but it didn't seem like it was that much more immersive with VR, but that might have just been the demo.

How about EVE? What's the consensus on the game? I like sci-fi and space and the EVE Online setting, but no point in spending that much on a game that might not be that enjoyable.

You mostly stand in place and can move about a foot in any direction. There's not a great deal of reason to move much from a gameplay perspective, but it's nice to be able to look at things from any angle.

Silvard

For me Batman Arkham VR and Job Simulator are my favorite experiences so far with PSVR. Anything that makes proper use of the Move controllers will take immersion in VR to the next level.
Do you need to be standing up to play Batman? I know that's the case with Job Simulator, which is a bit of a bummer as it's not easy to do in my current set up.

A big fear of mine. So what happens? The headset just doesn't snap back when you pull on it? You can still wear it and tighten it right?

Good luck.
Well actually after a couple hours of using it, I really didn't notice much of a difference. It's slightly looser when I extend it, but I can still tighten it with the gear on the back. So, no biggie.

Do you need to be standing up to play Batman? I know that's the case with Job Simulator, which is a bit of a bummer as it's not easy to do in my current set up.

Batman gives you a calibration mode to play sitting down if you wish, granted, it's plays better standing up and recommends to do so with the move controllers.

bumpkin

I tried to play it sitting, but I don't think my gaming area is large enough because I could never get the calibration quite right. It has you do this sort of two-step calibration. First it asks you to make sure you're standing in a bat symbol (you just look down) and then it asks you to line your headset up with a box on the screen. I'd always be in the symbol, but my headset would be just above/outside the box. I just ended up standing and it was mostly fine. It's actually better standing anyways because of when you need to reach down to either side of your hips or in front of your "belt" to grab various gear.

majik13

It can def be a bit scary. Espcially as its VR but its lots of jump scares. Ive only played 2 different demo levels. I own the game but havent played it yet, so Im not the best opinion.

Again, EVE is cool. Yeah, the demo is way too short. Again, Ive only played the demo and part of the game tutorial, I really enjoyed my ahort time so far. The free COD Jackal demo is worth checking out too, very simliar to EVE, controls a bit different, but its a longer demo than EVE.

Grinchy

Banned
I still think RIGS is the best game, but I cannot stop playing Battlezone lately. I can now get through even Normal difficulty campaigns of any length without losing a life. Time to move up to Hard soon.

Did anybody actually get that Collective Minds stand? I preordered it the weekend the PSVR came out, it was supposed to be out a couple weeks later, but the day it was supposed to be out my order changed to "Out of stock-we'll notify you when we have more". Did they just under ship these? Any impressions? Wondering if I should just bite on the more expensive PowerA stand.

Darvan

Did anybody actually get that Collective Minds stand? I preordered it the weekend the PSVR came out, it was supposed to be out a couple weeks later, but the day it was supposed to be out my order changed to "Out of stock-we'll notify you when we have more". Did they just under ship these? Any impressions? Wondering if I should just bite on the more expensive PowerA stand.

Hi,

I got my Collective Minds stand it works great for me since I have two move controllers and a PlayStation Pulse Elite Headset to hang on the rear also the area where you hang your headphones also has an extra USB slot so you can hook up a cable to charge your headset. The only negative I have about the stand is the led lights on the unit are always on "blue" when it's done charging and normal operation and red during charging.

shmoglish

Imo it wasnt very scary. A few jumpscares and a great atmosphere, but the main game for example is anothere league. Game is 1,5-2hours and fun, imo. With the the highscorestuff and different routes there is also a replay value.

crimilde

Banned
His VR coverage for EZA is greatly appreciated, he's the only Ally who bought PS VR while most of them got a Pro. :(
Just be aware that he's playing Eagle Flight "wrong" though before you make your decision. You just tilt your head to varying degrees instead of turning it (that's why he's getting that gentle error message so often) and the game is best played sitting down. Most games are except for those that ask you to stand. That makes playing the game much more relaxing than it looks in his video while it still retains its challenge. The same goes for Robinson. It also might be why he is so exhausted at the end.

Yeah I think I'll go with Eagle Flight, it looks really fun and relaxing.
As for Robinson, well, it seems that a lot of people are experiencing motion sickness from it and seeing Kyle have trouble with it as well is making me reconsider. I haven't gotten sick from a VR game yet but as long as it's full price, I'm even less willing to take the risk.

Hi,

I got my Collective Minds stand it works great for me since I have two move controllers and a PlayStation Pulse Elite Headset to hang on the rear also the area where you hang your headphones also has an extra USB slot so you can hook up a cable to charge your headset. The only negative I have about the stand is the led lights on the unit are always on "blue" when it's done charging and normal operation and red during charging.

Thanks. I think I'll hold out and wait for another shipment. Reading some of the reviews of the PowerA stand and it seems like there is a lot of complaints about the headset sliding off the front.

Thanks. I think I'll hold out and wait for another shipment. Reading some of the reviews of the PowerA stand and it seems like there is a lot of complaints about the headset sliding off the front.

I have PowerA. I like it overall, but the headset will indeed slide downwards if I do not press it firmly against the holding panel.

I have the collective minds one as well and I couldn't be happier with it. The PSVR sits perfectly, and I have two moves and two dualshocks so it's always full. The ability to hang your headset on it too is great and I keep my PX5 there.

Couldn't be more happy with it. I made a a shroud at a local fabric shop to cover the whole thing to reduce dust as well.

somme

Do Harmonix VR (especially Easel mode), you havent experienced anything like it yet.

Yeah I'll do that one soon. Easel mode was great fun, it got me really excited for Dreams VR. The disco mode did too actually. It seemed like a very simple version of how you can animate things in Dreams.

jrcbandit

Just to let people know, the anti nausea bands work. I got one with Velcro so it would last longer than ones with elastic bands. I can now play Riggs and Windlands without issue, and I had no problems with the VR Worlds Space adventure thingy I tried tonight. You might still have to build some VR legs, though. When I first played Robinson the journey, I couldn't turn quickly without feeling weird. Towards the end of the game, I was moving all over the place just fine.

Just to let people know, the anti nausea bands work. I got one with Velcro so it would last longer than ones with elastic bands. I can now play Riggs and Windlands without issue, and I had no problems with the VR Worlds Space adventure thingy I tried tonight. You might still have to build some VR legs, though. When I first played Robinson the journey, I couldn't turn quickly without feeling weird. Towards the end of the game, I was moving all over the place just fine.

no way.

Any impressions for Space Rift or Time Machine?

Both released today on PSN.

I see The Martian is trash.
I bought Time Machine VR experience, it's f'ing amazing.

I'm really into paleontology in real life so this mindblowing for me. The sense of scale is amazing and the time machine you pilot is so cool. I love taking it high in the air and feeling vertigo and swimming in the ocean with it is so relaxing. It's like you have your own personal submarine in VR. It reminds me of this baby from Jurassic World but better since it can fly and go underwater....

Time Machine VR is one of the best VR experiences in my opinion and well worth the $30 I spent on it.

Don't get The Marian VR, it's trash from what I hear and it's too short.

So played a bit of PlayroomVR and its NIGHT AND DAY on ps4pro. The picture quality is so much fucking better its not even funny. from a 5/10 ---> 9/10 (visual quality score). Completely changed what I think PSVR could be. Sony really shouldnt' be pushing PSVR with the standard console.

PSVR + PS4PRo is the ONLY way it should be played.

*Add. that said, I got a lot of black screens and red lines showed up also. WTF. What's sony saying about this?

I bought Time Machine VR experience, it's f'ing amazing.

I'm really into paleontology in real life so this mindblowing for me. The sense of scale is amazing and the time machine you pilot is so cool. I love taking it high in the air and feeling vertigo and swimming in the ocean with it is so relaxing. It's like you have your own personal submarine in VR. It reminds me of this baby from Jurassic World but better since it can fly and go underwater....

Time Machine VR is one of the best VR experiences in my opinion and well worth the $30 I spent on it.

Don't get The Marian VR, it's trash from what I hear and it's too short.

$30 is pricey. No New game discount like space rift and that has a 20% off discount. It's $10 less than Robinson; and that game has really high quality production standards (I just wish it was cheaper on PSN)

its review on Steam isn't exactly great

http://store.steampowered.com/app/356180/

I might wait for more impressions/reviews.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

I did some experimenting since I was having a problem in my complicated setup where the Processor Unit wouldn't turn on anymore when the PS4 Pro turned on. I assumed it was because I moved the USB connection to a hub instead of directly connected to the PS4. It turns out the USB connection has nothing to do with turning on the Processor Unit. The Processor Unit is turned on through the HDMI connection. For some reason, when hooked to my switch, because I was trying to hook multiple systems to the PSVR, the signal would not wake up the Processor Unit. Once I woke up the Processor Unit through the power switch on the headset, everything was fine. Another way to power it on is to unplug the HDMI and plug it back in on the Processor Unit and that seems to wake it up which is how I discovered it. Also, because of this setup, if I turned off the PS4 Pro, eventually after about 5 or 6 minutes, the Processor Unit would shut down on its own. When I hook it directly to the PS4 Pro, it instantly wakes up and instantly shuts down when turned off.

tl:dr - The Processor Unit powering on and off is based on the HDMI connection.

ffvorax

Time Machine VR looks interesting but for what I read it's more like a "demo"... so 30$ seems too much for me...
I mean, Batman VR was 19$ and it's an actual (short) game!

dmix90

What have i done???
Never had any experience with VR at all.
First impressions.
- First 10 Minutes: Pixels are really noticeable when you are in PS4 dashboard and in non-vr game. This theater mode is pretty cool but not good enough compared to real big TV obviously.
- Playroom VR First Mini game( where you drop coins and receive 3d models ): HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!

This is just amazing, holy shit. Rarely a game can make me laugh and especially dance but this minigame did it instantly. Need to try other minigames and demos, also have around $80 left to get some games.

What have i done???

Never had any experience with VR at all.
First impressions.
- First 10 Minutes: Pixels are really noticeable when you are in PS4 dashboard and in non-vr game. This theater mode is pretty cool but not good enough compared to real big TV obviously.
- Playroom VR First Mini game( where you drop coins and receive 3d models ): HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!

This is just amazing, holy shit. Rarely a game can make me laugh and especially dance but this minigame did it instantly. Need to try other minigames and demos, also have around $80 left to get some games.

Enjoy! I'm still waiting for my Pro, (10 days to go, 40th Birthday present)

In terms of where to spend your money, my most time has been spent with Battlezone, Driveclub and Until Dawn.

Do you have move controllers as well? If so then I'd recommend Batman and Until Dawn as pickups.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Only posting the link again because people keep asking for impressions on lots of games. I've reviewed a load here: https://psvr-reviews.com/

So far I've reviewed:

Robinson: The Journey
Tethered
Eagle Flight
Pixel Gear
Thumper
Job Simulator
Windlands
Gunjack
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Carnival Games VR
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

I'm adding one to two reviews a day. Will hopefully get Space Rift and Martian VR reviews up tomorrow. I've only briefly tried Space Rift and Martian is still downloading.

I do hope posting this every few pages isn't a bannable offence - just keep seeing people asking for impressions. (And to be fair, I started writing the reviews 'cos you guys urged me too lol)

Thank you for these. Really useful. Please keep it up!

dmix90

Enjoy! I'm still waiting for my Pro, (10 days to go, 40th Birthday present)

In terms of where to spend your money, my most time has been spent with Battlezone, Driveclub and Until Dawn.

Do you have move controllers as well? If so then I'd recommend Batman and Until Dawn as pickups.
Thanks! Yeah i have two move controllers which are left from PS3( hopefully now they will get some use )
I think that Until Dawn and Batman are must haves, also Driveclub will be $20 so really tempting as well but need to try demo first. Battlezone looks cool from videos but is too expensive and also need to try demo.

I swore that i will never fall to this WiiMote/Kinect type of shit again, but here i am and looks like this time it's really something special.

So played a bit of PlayroomVR and its NIGHT AND DAY on ps4pro. The picture quality is so much fucking better its not even funny. from a 5/10 ---> 9/10. Completely changed what I think PSVR could be. Sony really shouldnt' be pushing PSVR with the standard console.

*Add. that said, I got a lot of black screens and red lines showed up also. WTF. What's sony saying about this?
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=224304003

Thanks! Yeah i have two move controllers which are left from PS3( hopefully now they will get some use )
I think that Until Dawn and Batman are must haves, also Driveclub will be $20 so really tempting as well but need to try demo first. Battlezone looks cool from videos but is too expensive and also need to try demo.

I swore that i will never fall to this WiiMote/Kinect type of shit again, but here i am and looks like this time it's really something special.

I really like Driveclub, just have to set expectations low for graphics outside of the car, but the inside cabins are great and once you've done a few races in VR you won't want to play racing games any other way. I grabbed Battlezone rather cheaply on eBay 50% of retail price, so keep an eye out on there. It's not a game to judge by the demo as I don't think it allows co-op online play which is where the game really excels.

Zombine

Banned
So after contacting support, without blatantly stating it, they inferred that launch units lacking a specific id# from the launch batch are critically flawed. They aren't fixing my unit, they are retrieving it and giving me a new headset and processor unit.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So after contacting support, without blatantly stating it, they inferred that launch units lacking a specific id# from the launch batch are critically flawed. They aren't fixing my unit, they are retrieving it and giving me a new headset and processor unit.

Flawed in which regard?

WHO WERE YOU DENVERCODER9?
WHAT DID YOU SEE?
*shakes monitor*

Seriously, though. What issue? Help others out.

We need more info...
What were the issues, can we check the id# ourselves...?

This sounds worrying and surely something that Sony should make known and carry out a recall if that's the status of them.

panda-zebra

So played a bit of PlayroomVR and its NIGHT AND DAY on ps4pro. The picture quality is so much fucking better its not even funny. from a 5/10 ---> 9/10. Completely changed what I think PSVR could be. Sony really shouldnt' be pushing PSVR with the standard console.

It was always a 9/10, now it's a 9/10 with better IQ.

What do you mean by critically flawed?

What is the id#?

panda-zebra

You can't drop a bomb in the thread like that then take a walk. Info please.

What is your barcode number on your headset? (just above the lenses on the inside of the headband)

Wehrwolf

I'll try not to be too spoilery here, but have a question on Headmaster.

Just got through to the end credits, but I was told I technically didn't graduate. Just curious if I got a bad ending, or if that's the only one. Just seeing if it's there's anything more to unlock if I get more stars or such.

Also wonder when the 'coming soon' multiplayer modes will show up. I was hoping they getting to the end of single player would unlock them. But guess they mean that they're not done programming them yet. I liked the one mode that is playable, but variety would be nice.

All in all though, fun game.

seb

Banned
You can't drop a bomb in the thread like that then take a walk. Info please.

What is your barcode number on your headset? (just above the lenses on the inside of the headband)

From his posting history, his breakout box is/was overheating. If your box operates nominally, I wouldn't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom