• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

I'm surprised we haven't had more FPS games. Don't get me wrong I love that we've been treated to games and genres I never would have dreamed would work in VR (Tethered, Wayward Sky, etc) but I would love some more Heist-type action.

I'm not even huge on FPS games, but in VR they could work so well.

Brookhaven is quite fun albeit short although the survival mode can extend things. Wish there was a shooter out though that actually let you move. Then again we might not see that till the shooter controller is release so you could use the analog stick and move.

RIGS is a "shooter" but I want one where I actually use the move controllers and well... move.

I actually liked it a lot, but VR is definitely more of an enhancement for this game, if the demo is anything to go by. The sense of presence and 3Dness is nice, but absolutely not essential.

But if you're looking for a unique puzzle game with distinct, charming art direction and a lot of whacky character, it seems quite promising. I'm waiting for an actual release date for this one.
Thanks for posting this. My "enjoyed it" is basically what you more thoroughly explained.

somme

Brookhaven is quite fun albeit short although the survival mode can extend things. Wish there was a shooter out though that actually let you move.

I forgot about Brookhaven actually. I need to get it but I'm still recovering from Rush of Blood. VR has made 2D horror games much less scary, which is both a good and a bad thing.

Also, does Brookhaven require you to turn around and shoot? Does the tracking work okay?

cakely

I will be picking up a Pro tomorrow, and was wondering if any of the games on the demo disc are improved with the pro?

Also, are there any free games/experiences that got a pro patch?

Thanks,

Nicko

Jackal Assault got a patch. It's very short and really easy but it looks quite good.

Shoeless

Thanks for posting this. My "enjoyed it" is basically what you more thoroughly explained.

The neat thing about it in VR is it gives you that dioarama/dollhouse effect. Nice to have, but in no way required for gameplay.

What I really enjoy about it is the sense of discovery. If you want to be really cynical about it, the game boils down to the old adventure game mechanic of "click on everything in the environment to see what you can interact with," but that's kind of the point.

The game seems to be based on the idea that these are weird monster/creature dollhouses, and the goal is to completely open them up, by finding the ways the different parts of the house interact with each other to fully open things up.

I don't think this is going to be an incredibly popular game, but it's weird enough that I'm actually looking forward to it, as quiet and odd a game as it may be.

*Splinter

I liked the Gnog demo, it's definitely trial and error but from the demo disc it was on right the ones that stood out to me.

Rigs getting a quick match option could be a game changer, glad they added it. I wonder if they've allowed joining mid game as well? Will report back later.

Btw there is a Beat the Dev event for Rigs thus evening (starting in 15 minutes) so the lobbies should be busier than usual anyway.

cakely

Are you that bent ? Get some vitamin D or something and stop being the weird kid you run into at gamestop. So I guess the answer to my question is "nothing" if that is your response. I guess I'll keep waiting before buying a psvr.

I kind of blew this off before but, really, your response wasn't necessary, or cool in any way.

El-Suave

I actually liked it a lot, but VR is definitely more of an enhancement for this game, if the demo is anything to go by. The sense of presence and 3Dness is nice, but absolutely not essential.

But if you're looking for a unique puzzle game with distinct, charming art direction and a lot of whacky character, it seems quite promising. I'm waiting for an actual release date for this one.

Gnog: On the Euro PS store you can preorder it with a small Plus discount and it gives a release date of January 24th.

hookurs

Hmm hearing this makes me think I should save $250 over the Sony 800D and just get the 40 inch Samsung KU6300 instead, not bothering with switching cables for HDR. Is it worth the hassle unless you have a LG OLED or Samsung KS8000, where HDR shines?

Man when I heard that we would have to switch HDMI cables, I didn't think it was going to be such a big deal.

After a week straight of playing UC4 and various VR games, I am thoroughly annoyed. I have to pull out the PS4, got on my knees, unplug both connectors, and blindly stab at the HDMI inputs until they fit. It's all very first world problems, but a complete hassle that makes me not want to play one way or the other.

So you can go above the ocean too? All the promo trailers showed under water primarily. Is it freeform movement or on rails?
You have complete control of the time machine, it's not on rails.

The game primarily takes place in the ocean but there's a location above water that's sort of like your base in the future that you get to explore. You go to it between missions and it allows you to go high into the air like about a 100ft or more. It's pretty cool because if you have a fear of heights like I do it gives you a bit of vertigo.

VRIDEO is finally available in Europe.

Any specific videos that you guys would recommend?
Check out the Ghost in the Shell video under animation. It's entirely in Japanese but it's awesome as hell and might be the coolest thing I've seen in VR.

Shoeless

Gnog: On the Euro PS store you can preorder it with a small Plus discount and it gives a release date of January 24th.

Oh cool, thanks for the update on that. I was a bit worried that the 2017 release date was going to be waaaaaaay out there, but this is quite reasonable.

ElNino

Man when I heard that we would have to switch HDMI cables, I didn't think it was going to be such a big deal.

After a week straight of playing UC4 and various VR games, I am thoroughly annoyed. I have to pull out the PS4, got on my knees, unplug both connectors, and blindly stab at the HDMI inputs until they fit. It's all very first world problems, but a complete hassle that makes me not want to play one way or the other.
I've had my eyes on an LG OLED, but this is one of the things that is holding me back (well that and explaining to my wife why we need to spend $3k> on a new TV). Is it possibly to disable HDR on the PS4 Pro and only use 4k if it becomes a big hassle, or is the HDR enough of an impact to deal with it (I've read conflicting reports)?

The Martian VR Experience review: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/16/the-martian-vr-experience/

I'll get one up for Space Drift tomorrow. And if there's anything else anyone wants a review of let me know.

Anyone got any impressions on Time Machine VR? It's not out in the UK yet.
I gave my impressions on it 2 pages back, here it is again for you....

I bought Time Machine VR experience, it's f'ing amazing.

I'm really into paleontology in real life so this mindblowing for me. The sense of scale is amazing and the time machine you pilot is so cool. I love taking it high in the air and feeling vertigo and swimming in the ocean with it is so relaxing. It's like you have your own personal submarine in VR. It reminds me of this baby from Jurassic World but better since it can fly and go underwater....

jurassic-world-bubble-1500x844.jpg

Time Machine VR is one of the best VR experiences in my opinion and well worth the $30 I spent on it.

majik13

Brookhaven is quite fun albeit short although the survival mode can extend things. Wish there was a shooter out though that actually let you move. Then again we might not see that till the shooter controller is release so you could use the analog stick and move.

RIGS is a "shooter" but I want one where I actually use the move controllers and well... move.

There is World War Toons that is free. It is pretty janky, but if you turn off the ratcheted/angle turning, it pretty much plays like a FPS with analog controls in VR. Good way to see how doable a FPS in VR works. The characters move pretty slow to make things stay comfortable.

Anyways, I made the controls like standard FPS, and still felt fairly comfortable and was able to play for a decent while just fine. Would like to try this in a better game though. I wish it were a little faster, but I think I was near the maximum of my comfort level with its current speed.

hookurs

I've had my eyes on an LG OLED, but this is one of the things that is holding me back (well that and explaining to my wife why we need to spend $3k> on a new TV). Is it possibly to disable HDR on the PS4 Pro and only use 4k if it becomes a big hassle, or is the HDR enough of an impact to deal with it (I've read conflicting reports)?

HDR brings life to everything. It's just stunning. Hard to explain until you see it. Everything pops and is bright and beautiful. It can be subtle but when it's not, it's divine. So of course you'll want to have it on at all times especially if you invested in the TV.

If you leave the cables alone and keep the PSVR unit hooked up, the 4K resolution will still work but the HDR will not.

At least that is my understanding of it.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't think I've seen one impression of Gnog.
My impression is that I enjoyed it and I'm very interested in its release.

I didn't like the demo at all. It's the kind of game that I would think I'd like, but I just found it tedious and unrewarding to play.

dmix90

Ugh... Looks like i made a mistake by choosing Rescue Robots level from Playroom VR as my second experience. Still feeling a light headache after ~6 hours. Everything was great until i started moving forward. If you move camera really slow it was alright though. I also played it while standing but now i suspect that i was supposed to sit down cause my character was kinda short lol.

I probably should take it slow and build vr legs first before jumping to more intense stuff.

So what's on the horizon guys? I mean sure, res evil 7 but something tells me it will cause massive motion sickness, and the game will be best played on a normal display. Is there a list of titles coming out? Any big reveals or all shovelware still ?

Why do you keep asking questions like these when I literally have a thread on everything that's on the horizon for PSVR in the OT links and the Let's Talk PSVR Thread.

Are you that ignorant?...Sorry for being rude but really just look at the other links.

ckohler

Ugh... Looks like i made a mistake by choosing Rescue Robots level from Playroom VR as my second experience. Still feeling a light headache after ~6 hours. Everything was great until i started moving forward. If you move camera really slow it was alright though. I also played it while standing but now i suspect that i was supposed to sit down cause my character was kinda short lol.

I probably should take it slow and build vr legs first before jumping to more intense stuff.

I got my VR legs and here's what I think helps:

• Sit down.
  • Make sure you're facing the camera and it's no more than 5 feet away. This will improve the tracking and reduce World Wobble.
  • Take breaks every 30 minutes.
  • Avoid intense VR until you're ready. Playroom should be fine.
  • If you start to sweat, that's your body telling you to stop.

dmix90

I got my VR legs and here's what I think helps:

• Sit down.
  • Make sure you're facing the camera and it's no more than 5 feet away. This will improve the tracking and reduce World Wobble.
  • Take breaks every 30 minutes.
  • Avoid intense VR until you're ready. Playroom should be fine.
  • If you start to sweat, that's your body telling you to stop.
Thanks, will keep that in mind! Haven't noticed any tracking issues other than virtual DS4 was messed up sometimes but it was easy to fix by holding options button. Was actually really surprised how good head tracking was.....could lean forward and back and also move around my play area, great stuff! Though i have a feeling that when it will come to move controllers things will get messy.

nampad

Finally had some time to test some demos.

Rez: Is it normal that the Move aiming is so sluggish and inaccurate? I even restarted the demo because the first time it was super off. Unfortunately, there isn't a calibration option. Happy I did not buy it before just because it is Rez.

Thumper: Looked cool but the gameplay and music was kind of meh. Happy I did not buy it blindly.

Tumble VR: It was ok, the demo levels were quite boring. Feels more like a game you play with friends but then it would be quite unpractical with the headset.

Headmaster: This one was pretty fun. I was interested before and I might get it now.

Rigs: I planned to get this one right away as my big VR title. I made it 2 minutes before I had to quit because of nausea. Both the stick and head turning felt weird and somehow I could not aim up using the stick (even in stick turning mode)?

jrcbandit

Finally had some time to test some demos.

Rez: Is it normal that the Move aiming is so sluggish and inaccurate? I even restarted the demo because the first time it was super off. Unfortunately, there isn't a calibration option. Happy I did not buy it before just because it is Rez.

Thumper: Looked cool but the gameplay and music was kind of meh. Happy I did not buy it blindly.

Tumble VR: It was ok, the demo levels were quite boring. Feels more like a game you play with friends but then it would be quite unpractical with the headset.

Headmaster: This one was pretty fun. I was interested before and I might get it now.

Rigs: I planned to get this one right away as my big VR title. I made it 2 minutes before I had to quit because of nausea. Both the stick and head turning felt weird and somehow I could not aim up using the stick (even in stick turning mode)?

Rez is not meant to be played with Move, I dunno why they even added support for it. You need to turn on head tracking aiming for Rez. You basically move your head to tag all enemies and only use the controller to press X for fire or Circle for bomb (slightly different for Rez Area X but you still use head to tag all mobs).

Tumble VR levels get much more interesting than the initial demo ones. But it isn't a flashy game at all.

You can throw batarangs from your waist (with both hands) with a quick flicking motion. They'll fly to wherever the center of your headset is pointed at.

I invested in the long camera cable and mic stand for the PS4 camera. I cable tied the camera to the top of the stand. It has an adjustable height and can tilt up and down so it's easy to get into the ideal spot. It pretty much fixes all tracking issues.

LOL really? I was aiming it like how you'd think you'd aim at (as opposed to the headset thing) - will try again tonight. I flicked it pretty good I thought but I'll always miss. Especially when its the high one. So my scores have been 3-8 (max). Some rounds, I can't even hit the top target. Epic fail.

Such an amazing game/experience. Even the little kiosk to the side with the 3D figurines was wow.

I haven't even left the batcave (or even played that long) but I already feel like I've got my money's worth and that this is worth the money as a showcase. Amazing. Looks brilliant on the Pro too. No idea how it looks like on OG Ps4.

And oh god, it looks so good. The batman suiting up room with all the cables and tech looks seriously unreal. This game is ridiculous! Probably the best looking title on PSVR. I have a feeling Robinson will deliver this level of graphics (not spending $60 on it tho).

Tethered

No idea how this looked on PS4 but its one amazing looking game, there's like 10 stages all locked til you progress (and the stupid slave creatures look really great compared to how they look in the trailer - where I thought it just looked stupid). very cute, and the dioramaesque stage is amazing, teeming with detail. Game played a bit slow (I wish there was a way to speed up the movement) but otherwise, really fun. A lot of depth, looks amazing and this looks like 40 minutes x 10 = 7 hours or more of gameplay.

2/2 games I bought yesterday that I can heartily recommend.

cakely

LOL really? I was aiming it like how you'd think you'd aim at (as opposed to the headset thing) - will try again tonight. I flicked it pretty good I thought but I'll always miss. Especially when its the high one. So my scores have been 3-8 (max). Some rounds, I can't even hit the top target. Epic fail.

There are few other things you can do in Arkham: VR that might not be documented. Maybe they're spoilers? I'll tag them.

If you hold your left hand up to the side of your head and pull the trigger you'll hear a whirring sound and you'll get a magnified view.

When you're in the garage, if your hand is on a lever and you press the move button, you'll fire the engine on whatever vehicle you're looking at.

Philly40

So I just had a try of Eagle Flight and I think it might be my fav VR experience so far. Controls perfectly, and the feeling of 'height' is bang on.

I had a quick of round of multiplayer also, the menu screen where you sit with your eagle teammates staring across at the oppo eagles was funny as fuck -

Ubisoft, we need eagle taunts!

Tumblr VR seemed really compelling and I liked the idea. But MY GOD my controllers just do NOT want to cooperate, especially with that game. It's almost comical how bad my controllers are, so unfortunate.

Is there a compiled guide out there for getting this stuff to work to the best of its ability yet? Or has one camera version proven better? I do hope they just make a new camera for this stuff, it's so close to being amazing!

nampad

Tumblr VR seemed really compelling and I liked the idea. But MY GOD my controllers just do NOT want to cooperate, especially with that game. It's almost comical how bad my controllers are, so unfortunate.

Is there a compiled guide out there for getting this stuff to work to the best of its ability yet? Or has one camera version proven better? I do hope they just make a new camera for this stuff, it's so close to being amazing!

The Move controller was tracked pretty well in my opinion in the demo levels I have played. I think the issue is somewhere with your setup.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well I really loved the PSVR when I got it. Kind of a pain in the ass to deal with hiding wires, setting it up to use, etc. (this is almost enough hassle not to even bother tbh) but VR was just so entertaing that I pushed through the annoyance.

Then I bought a new HDR TV and PSPRO... and haven't touched VR since.

This wire shit, is too much. Having to change all this stuff around every time I want to use HDR or VR... the fact that's an either-or choice is disappointing. It's such a hassle with these wires and my entertainment center, to keep it neat. With it all sprawled out, looks like a damn child lives here. And having to pull my entertainment center away from the wall to get to everything -- smh.

sn00zer

Well I really loved the PSVR when I got it. Kind of a pain in the ass to deal with hiding wires, setting it up to use, etc. (this is almost enough hassle not to even bother tbh) but VR was just so entertaing that I pushed through the annoyance.

This wire shit, is too much. Having to change all this stuff around every time I want to use HDR or VR... the fact that's an either-or choice is disappointing. It's such a hassle with these wires and my entertainment center, to keep it neat. With it all sprawled out, looks like a damn child lives here. And having to pull my entertainment center away from the wall to get to everything -- smh.

????? My VR is just plugged in and sitting on my entertainment center. Just need to take the mask off the table to put it on.

nampad

????? My VR is just plugged in and sitting on my entertainment center. Just need to take the mask off the table to put it on.

The processing box does not pass through HDR so he has to switch the cables every time he switches between VR and not VR gaming.

I agree that the wiring is a mess and I finally think I figured out where I'm going to put it and hide everything but still have it hooked up and accessible. Spending $25 on cables just to do so too.

You can't avoid the HDR problem or even the Deep Color problem that the PSVR Processor Unit causes. It's problematic for anyone using those things. Deep Color is common on 1080p sets so it's not even a 4K thing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Do you have an HDR TV? Because you don't have a functioning HDR TV if your PSVR is currently hooked up to it. Unless you bought a work-around. Which I would do if the proposed solutions weren't so confusing/conflicting. I'm honestly not sure what I need to sort this out.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

There really should only be a single wire to deal with. The one that runs from the headset to the unit next to the PS4.

For switching your HDMI input for HDR and PSVR, you need only swap the single HDMI cable plugged either into the back of your PS4 Pro or the PSVR unit depending on need. You never need touch the TV connection, or anything else.

What do you have going on in your setup that overcomplicates this? Everything should be neatly tucked behind the console except the one cord connected to the headset.

There really should only be a single wire to deal with. The one that runs from the headset to the unit next to the PS4.

It's two cables actually, having to manage the one on the headset and then the one that comes out from the Processor Unit that connects to the one coming out of the headset. Personally, I think they poorly designed how these cables are done.

For switching your HDMI input for HDR and PSVR, you need only swap the single HDMI cable plugged either into the back of your PS4 Pro or the PSVR unit depending on need. You never need touch the TV connection, or anything else.

Unless you're out of inputs and don't want to have to use two inputs to use your PS4. Add on top of that the fact that not everyone has that area accessible and it becomes a pain in the ass to constantly do.

What do you have going on in your setup that overcomplicates this? Everything should be neatly tucked behind the console except the one cord connected to the headset.

Well when you combine with all the other wires, it just adds to this:

So far I've spent probably more than two hours trying to properly integrate PSVR into my setup and I'm not done yet.

Grinchy

Banned

Tumble has been horrible for me the last 2 times I've tried to play it. It was so good at launch, so I have on idea what to say about that. I don't think there was a patch that broke anything.

It's just that it no longer tracks well at all and moving pieces around causes the Move controller to go in front of the headset and then the world wobbles worse than any other game I play. It sucks because it has made me stop playing it completely.

Tumble has been horrible for me the last 2 times I've tried to play it. It was so good at launch, so I have on idea what to say about that. I don't think there was a patch that broke anything.

It's just that it no longer tracks well at all and moving pieces around causes the Move controller to go in front of the headset and then the world wobbles worse than any other game I play. It sucks because it has made me stop playing it completely.

I think that's got a lot to do with how the camera is placed. My camera is low so the instances of the move/hands obstructing the view of the headset is high. It's a lot wobbly but you can recenter. My thing with Tumble is how difficult it got. I'm sitting down on Zone 4 staring at a cylinder, a Z-shaped piece and a plank and wondering "how the fuck am I meant to make solve this puzzle"

it gets very tricky, and I think I'm good at these things too.

Grinchy

Banned
I think that's got a lot to do with how the camera is placed. My camera is low so the instances of the move/hands obstructing the view of the headset is high. It's a lot wobbly but you can recenter. My thing with Tumble is how difficult it got. I'm sitting down on Zone 4 staring at a cylinder, a Z-shaped piece and a plank and wondering "how the fuck am I meant to make solve this puzzle"

it gets very tricky, and I think I'm good at these things too.

I have my camera on a mic stand so I can place it anywhere and as high as I want at all times. I find myself doing so much troubleshooting on a game-to-game basis to find out what games specifically want from me. Tumble, I just can no longer find a good spot.

Z3M0G

Any good anti-scratch solutions out there? My buddy who owns PSVR is getting paranoid as fuck of his glasses-wearing friends trying it out...

Chris_C

Looks like fun.

If the tracking as anywhere near as good as Pixel Gear's then that'd be great.

There's a demo on the Asian PSVR disc. It's a mobile game ported to VR and it looks and plays like that. It seemed fairly shallow, though if it's priced as cheap as the publisher's other games, it might be worth it. It felt like a budget Time Crisis clone. My biggest issues were:

- The positioning of the virtual hands and in game guns is really weird. You have to really, really point the Move controllers straight in order to have the guns point straight. Way more so than any other game I've played. It feels like the in game hands are mounted on top of the bulbs of the move controllers, like you're holding tiny hands on top of the Moves.

- The controls for picking up, discarding weapons are weird. They don't feel natural.

- Very little indication of where you're being shot from, and the positional audio is really bad. You'll notice you're losing health and wondering why, and then 15 seconds later see you're getting shot by a dude hanging from a window above you.

Pros:

- It may not "officially" support room scale, but it's much more fun that way. I cleared the space you see below and was able to use the entire play area. It's the same publisher as Ace Banana and Pixel Gear. They need to share that tracking tech, as both this and Ace Banana can be tracked accurately in room scale (haven't played Pixel Gear, but I hear the tracking is good).

I can't see paying more than $9.99 for the full game.

Here's my "room scale" play area. Tracked accurately in Ace Banana and Mortal Blitz.

Grinchy

Banned
Just finished a Normal and Long campaign in Battlezone. Now I have all the tanks from beating the Normal difficulty. This game is so fucking good.

On a side note, is anyone experiencing audio and video drops more often than ever before? I'm seeing it on my base PS4 and my brother's Pro, each with their own headsets. We have been having a ton of trouble with that recently. I don't think it's a Battlezone thing either because it happened when I played Brookhaven on the Pro earlier today too.

The Chef

Dudes. I just convinced my friend to get a PSVR. I really want to make the first experience amazing. Any recommendations on must-do games from the demo disc?
I hear Batman is incredible as well as the Play Room?
He has move controllers as well.

Dudes. I just convinced my friend to get a PSVR. I really want to make the first experience amazing. Any recommendations on must-do games from the demo disc?
I hear Batman is incredible as well as the Play Room?
He has move controllers as well.

Batman really is amazing..

As far as the demo goes

Try everything!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom