• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought batman. Jesus fucking Christ! Just wow.

edit:

so I had to move my cameras- space was already too small but i moved it to the side of the tv and back a lot and (configured to have me standing on their configuration batcircle+headset in the dotted box), and my living space is probably a bit too small (and I'll probably have also lift the camera up to a more suitable eye height and turn it so I'm standing in the corridor/doorway) to play this.

I can't seem to be able to hit the top most target in batarang practice (which makes me think camera is too low; currently its sitting on the top of my tv cabinet which is a low one.).

ffvorax

Thanks! Yeah i have two move controllers which are left from PS3( hopefully now they will get some use )
I think that Until Dawn and Batman are must haves, also Driveclub will be $20 so really tempting as well but need to try demo first. Battlezone looks cool from videos but is too expensive and also need to try demo.

I swore that i will never fall to this WiiMote/Kinect type of shit again, but here i am and looks like this time it's really something special.

With 2 moves you must buy Batman VR and Until Dawn!
Wait also a price drop for Job Simulator, with the move is another fun game.
I would suggest also Wayvard Sky, with move is more fun than with the controller and it's quite beautiful to see.

I bought Time Machine VR experience, it's f'ing amazing.

I'm really into paleontology in real life so this mindblowing for me. The sense of scale is amazing and the time machine you pilot is so cool. I love taking it high in the air and feeling vertigo and swimming in the ocean with it is so relaxing. It's like you have your own personal submarine in VR. It reminds me of this baby from Jurassic World but better since it can fly and go underwater....

Time Machine VR is one of the best VR experiences in my opinion and well worth the $30 I spent on it.

Don't get The Marian VR, it's trash from what I hear and it's too short.

So you can go above the ocean too? All the promo trailers showed under water primarily. Is it freeform movement or on rails?

doby

So after contacting support, without blatantly stating it, they inferred that launch units lacking a specific id# from the launch batch are critically flawed. They aren't fixing my unit, they are retrieving it and giving me a new headset and processor unit.

So cryptic.

I'm guessing there's a batch missing the silicone thermal pad on the heatsink.

panda-zebra

I've ranked all my pro psvr with an improvement score and it's now a 9/10 visuals compared to before. (Og post edited)

Actually rereading my post. I think it's clear I was referring to the image quality improvement

Ah OK gotcha, I've seen those posts of course, just having a dumb moment.

Kurdel

Banned
So I bought Eagle flight. Runs pretty good on the pro, and controls like dream for a dogfighting game.

Ultimately I am glad I supported Ubisoft Montreal's first stab at VR with a product I am not afraid to call a video game. However, 53$ canadian is a bit too much for what the game actually is.

What kind of settings are you guys using for the brightness level?

Brought it down a notch or two.

First few days at max brightness were pretty stimulating.

62129.jpg

0racle

So what's on the horizon guys? I mean sure, res evil 7 but something tells me it will cause massive motion sickness, and the game will be best played on a normal display. Is there a list of titles coming out? Any big reveals or all shovelware still ?

So what's on the horizon guys? I mean sure, res evil 7 but something tells me it will cause massive motion sickness, and the game will be best played on a normal display. Is there a list of titles coming out? Any big reveals or all shovelware still ?

Star Wars Battlefront X-Wing mission will be huge, but should be about the size of a demo, like Jackal Assault. RE7 like you mentioned is the next big full game. After that it's Farpoint.

After Farpoint? Who knows, but I'm hoping we'll get some new game announcements at Playstation Experience next month.

edit: oh, I just saw that you called the PSVR launch games "all shovelware" lol it's like the greatest launch lineup in history get outta here with that bs

panda-zebra

Al shovelware still... fucking lol.

Never change, oracle

D23

Just beat Rez on the pro for the first time. That image quality is so clean on the pro.. and area x.... mother of god, that experience alone worth owning a vr + pro combined.

I bought Time Machine VR experience, it's f'ing amazing.

I'm really into paleontology in real life so this mindblowing for me. The sense of scale is amazing and the time machine you pilot is so cool. I love taking it high in the air and feeling vertigo and swimming in the ocean with it is so relaxing. It's like you have your own personal submarine in VR. It reminds me of this baby from Jurassic World but better since it can fly and go underwater....

Time Machine VR is one of the best VR experiences in my opinion and well worth the $30 I spent on it.

Don't get The Marian VR, it's trash from what I hear and it's too short.

I remember seeing this game back when VR was first being shown off to people and it definitely caught my eye. I'll pick this up at some point now!

*Splinter

Tried three new games today and all three were better than expected... Can't remember the last time I was this easily amused by video games :D

CoD Jackal Assault - ok its short but loading into the cockpit for the first time was another of those "wow" moments for me. It looks stunning (even on my OG PS4!) and when the hangar doors opened in front of me I felt like I was at that point of a rollercoaster where everyone has sat down and it's just about to start...

The game itself was fine. Controls were good, combat was fine although easy to the point of being impossible to fail. I'm not really into space / aerial combat games which is a shame as they look set to be well represented in VR.

VEV - thought this might be a bit one-note (and maybe it is) but glad I bought it. Love the music, love the presentation. Only played the basic area so far and this seems like the perfect chillout game.

Only disappointment so far is I forgot to buy the bundle with all the themes :( Anyone got these and have a favourite they'd recommend?

Oh, m0dus, I noticed the notes say that VR mode is easier / has less enemies. Is there no way to increase the difficulty in VR mode? (No way I'm playing a VR compatible game outside of VR :p)

Eagle Flight - Looks great, controls beautifully. So far it seems a bit easy, but flying around Paris is enough fun that I don't care, and the races through tunnels etc are reasonably exciting. I guess I should try some multiplayer, should address my concerns over difficulty.

I don't know what to play now... I'm spoiled for choice :D

Zombine

Banned
Guys I apologize for leaving and not following up:

After I spoke to support and told them about my overheating problem, they put me on hold for a few minutes. When the woman came back she asked me to read off my barcode on the back of the processor, and then to read off the code "next to it" which should begin with the letters "CW" or something to that regard. After I looked and did not see it, they mentioned that the processors with the barcode, plus the code with "CWXXXXXXX" are a part of the "new" batch of units.

No questions asked, no fee. They requested my headset and processor and my case number + digital receipt from Best Buy and they will be sending me a new headset and processor that won't overheat from the "CWXXXXX" batch without this issue. They seemed to be aware of faulty launch units in the wild.

My processor gets HOT, and my PS VR begins to overheat and shutdown 10-15 minutes into play. It may be too early to call, but I think unless you've already experienced this you won't have an issue in the future.

After I spoke to support and told them about my overheating problem, they put me on hold for a few minutes. When the woman came back she asked me to read off my barcode on the back of the processor, and then to read off the code "next to it" which should begin with the letters "CW" or something to that regard. After I looked and did not see it, they mentioned that the processors with the barcode, plus the code with "CWXXXXXXX" are a part of the "new" batch of units.

No questions asked, no fee. They requested my headset and processor and my case number + digital receipt from Best Buy and they will be sending me a new headset and processor that won't overheat from the "CWXXXXX" batch without this issue. They seemed to be aware of faulty launch units in the wild.

My processor gets HOT, and my PS VR begins to overheat and shutdown 10-15 minutes into play. It may be too early to call, but I think unless you've already experienced this you won't have an issue in the future.

This seems really big and maybe deserving of it's own thread?
Wow

cakely

Bought batman. Jesus fucking Christ! Just wow.

edit:

so I had to move my cameras- space was already too small but i moved it to the side of the tv and back a lot and (configured to have me standing on their configuration batcircle+headset in the dotted box), and my living space is probably a bit too small (and I'll probably have also lift the camera up to a more suitable eye height and turn it so I'm standing in the corridor/doorway) to play this.

I can't seem to be able to hit the top most target in batarang practice (which makes me think camera is too low; currently its sitting on the top of my tv cabinet which is a low one.).

You can throw batarangs from your waist (with both hands) with a quick flicking motion. They'll fly to wherever the center of your headset is pointed at.

I invested in the long camera cable and mic stand for the PS4 camera. I cable tied the camera to the top of the stand. It has an adjustable height and can tilt up and down so it's easy to get into the ideal spot. It pretty much fixes all tracking issues.

Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I never experienced these issues. "Knocks on the wood"

cakely

Wow, you're still really trying, aren't you.

Maybe you should make another thread where you ask people to give honest impressions about how disappointed they are with PSVR.

You can throw batarangs from your waist (with both hands) with a quick flicking motion. They'll fly to wherever the center of your headset is pointed at.

I invested in the long camera cable and mic stand for the PS4 camera. I cable tied the camera to the top of the stand. It has an adjustable height and can tilt up and down so it's easy to get into the ideal spot. It pretty much fixes all tracking issues.

I am looking to buy a stand for the camera.

Do you have a link/model for the stand?

How did you secure the camera on the stand?

0racle

Wow, you're still really trying, aren't you.

Maybe you should make another thread where you ask people to give honest impressions about how disappointed they are with PSVR.

Are you that bent ? Get some vitamin D or something and stop being the weird kid you run into at gamestop. So I guess the answer to my question is "nothing" if that is your response. I guess I'll keep waiting before buying a psvr.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Tell me why the fuck Amazon warehouse selling PSVR Launch bundles USED priced higher than what they were being sold as NEW? Smfh...even with the health reasons involved, such a greedy dumbass move.

I've had the flu the last few days and I've been out of town and stuff...

What were the impressions of Eagle Flight?

I'm loving it. It always looked very much in "demo" category in the past, but there's an actual game here, and it's really pretty fun. Thumbs up.

cakely

Are you that bent ? Get some vitamin D or something and stop being the weird kid you run into at gamestop. So I guess the answer to my question is "nothing" if that is your response. I guess I'll keep waiting before buying a psvr.

Heh, you're really quite upset, aren't you.

Believe me, no one here is trying to sell you a PSVR. We're all aware that you've had a strange crusade against it since before it was launched.

Kyolux

Are you for real?

androvsky

I was going to say if you ran out of games you try Headmaster since that flew under most people's radars. But you don't have one yet, so you definitely haven't run out of games. :)

Farpoint is coming soon as well as Resident Evil 7 and eventually Ace Combat 7. Star Trek Bridge Crew is set for March of next year although the PSN store still says November. Still waiting on the War Thunder patch, which could be huge for me.

And whatever gets announced at PSX.

cakely

This looks great. I have one more question before I order it.

Does it work equally well with both seating and standing games? I am 5'11 BTW.

Yep, you can adjust the height of the stand up and down to keep the camera at about head level whether you're sitting or standing. I'm also 5'11.

Don't forget the camera extension cable.

Yep, you can adjust the height of the stand up and down to keep the camera at about head level whether you're sitting or standing. I'm also 5'11.

Don't forget the camera extension cable.

I just ordered the stand. Granted, it is on the back order right now. Hopefully, it will also improve drifting and minor tracking issues that I have been experiencing. I decided to hold off on the extension cable for now because I believe that the camera cable is long enough for my needs. Thanks for the tip!

Zombine

Banned
This seems really big and maybe deserving of it's own thread?
Wow

Ehhh not 100% sure that it does yet. Nobody else has really come forward with the exception of myself and some overheating issues at events prior to launch. I feel like launches always have defects present, it's just the scale in which they happen.

Look at the Samsung Galaxy incident for example, that wasn't a case or "one" phone catching on fire, it was damn near every one. I think defective VR units are peppered in with all the good ones, and they are aware of what they need to do to get them off the market.

So basically, if there is anything that is thread worthy, if you are experiencing this defect, contact Sony and they will take care of you.

hookurs

Holy fuck what a pain in the ass this is switching cables between HDR TV play and VR play. Did we decide on a switch that actually works?

Does someone have that thread from a while back bookmarked?

At this rate I'll wear out the HDMI connectors with this constant plugging and unplugging.

ryseing

You're the dude that made a thread two days after the headset launched asking people if they regretted it yet.

There's a decent library now and it will continue to grow.

jrcbandit

Holy fuck what a pain in the ass this is switching cables between HDR TV play and VR play. Did we decide on a switch that actually works?

Does someone have that thread from a while back bookmarked?

At this rate I'll wear out the HDMI connectors with this constant plugging and unplugging.
Hmm hearing this makes me think I should save $250 over the Sony 800D and just get the 40 inch Samsung KU6300 instead, not bothering with switching cables for HDR. Is it worth the hassle unless you have a LG OLED or Samsung KS8000, where HDR shines?

Nicko

I will be picking up a Pro tomorrow, and was wondering if any of the games on the demo disc are improved with the pro?

Also, are there any free games/experiences that got a pro patch?

Thanks,

Nicko

somme

Never heard of it, but it doesn't look awful. The PSVR lineup is sorely lacking in experiences like this though.

I'm surprised we haven't had more FPS games. Don't get me wrong I love that we've been treated to games and genres I never would have dreamed would work in VR (Tethered, Wayward Sky, etc) but I would love some more Heist-type action.

I'm not even huge on FPS games, but in VR they could work so well.

Shoeless

Having spent a bit more time with Robinson: The Journey, I actually like it. But I still wouldn't necessarily advise anyone to pay full retail price for it. It looks quite impressive on the Pro, and, if you've got the VR legs for it, switching the controls to traditional L3/R3 configuration makes it pretty easy to play.

When you get to the point where you're finally seeing huge sauropods, the sense of scale is amazing. You really do get that "Welcome... to Jurassic Park..." moment where you think to yourself, "Holy freaking crap... it's a DINOSAUR!"

But it is a short adventure game with some odd puzzle design choices, and I can see now why the game doesn't support the dual Move controllers. Movement is essential in the game and since the old Nav controller from the PS3 days isn't supported, holding a dualshock controller and a Move controller would get pretty cumbersome.

Still, as a visual experience, this is a definite powerhouse, and, under the right circumstances, can be an AMAZING "evangelism" moment if you load up the game for visitors at the right time.

Put the headset on where they're standing right under a sauropod and the thing is looking them in the face and it will definitely be a "THIS IS AMAZING!" moment that really sells why VR is such a special experience sometimes.

Shoeless

I don't think I've seen one impression of Gnog.
My impression is that I enjoyed it and I'm very interested in its release.

I actually liked it a lot, but VR is definitely more of an enhancement for this game, if the demo is anything to go by. The sense of presence and 3Dness is nice, but absolutely not essential.

But if you're looking for a unique puzzle game with distinct, charming art direction and a lot of whacky character, it seems quite promising. I'm waiting for an actual release date for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom