• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
I only have 3 Tethered trophies left :(

Gonna miss this game if they don't do some DLC for it. The one for getting all A ranks for every level is going to be kind of a bitch, though.

Holy fuck what a pain in the ass this is switching cables between HDR TV play and VR play. Did we decide on a switch that actually works?

Does someone have that thread from a while back bookmarked?

At this rate I'll wear out the HDMI connectors with this constant plugging and unplugging.
Here's the thread. There's more the it than just the switch. Due to how saturated the HDMI signal is going to the VR, introducing the switch causes some additional signal drop-off or resistance. 24 AWG or Certified Premium HDMI cables are proven to work. And, due to the handshake, powering off the PS4 before jumping between devices makes life easier.

I can't even begin to express how sublime it is to not have to worry about cable juggling. The satisfying "click" of the button on the HDMI switch never gets old. :p

So ever since I have gotten the pro I have experienced a lot of the world wobble people have talked about. It's weird because all that has changed in the setup is the pro. I am sat probably just outside the recommended distance away from the camera but I find it weird that it was fine for the most part before. Tried different lighting conditions with no change. Works OK if I move closer so I will just have to chuck the camera on a stool in front of the TV stand when I play sat down games.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this has been debunked and it's set to high automatically when vr is on.

Edit- yeah this has been debunked so cope whatever caused your drifting was unrelated.

No, as soon as you start a VR game the lights go back to high automatically.
That's odd. My controller was slowly rotating to the right over and over. Hold down start to recenter and it would immediately do it again.
Not saying you guys are wrong it was just odd that the second I returned after selecting high it stopped.
Weird! Oh well as long as that was a fluke.

Two inputs? You are switching the cable behind the PS4 only though, not touching the TV(which only needs a single input). But yes, it isn't exactly convenient getting behind the console to do the quick swap from the Supply unit to the PS4, but its not like you ever need to get anywhere else other than behind the PS4 to switch.

You said you only need to swap one cable which isn't true if you want to keep it on a single TV input. You have to swap two cables in order for you to maintain a single input on the TV. It is impossible to just disconnect one cable and reconnect it and have it only going to one TV input.

FFy1IEg.jpg

Heh, I concur. That's really a picture of what my setup looked like before I moved and that was after an attempt to do cable management. It just got worse over time as I had to change or add things.

When I moved, I took another stab at cable management and went all out this time. My new method involved pretty much throwing away as many cables as I could and replace them with all new ones that were as close to the exact length as possible in order to minimize any cable slack which in turn greatly reduces how messy the cables can get. So I had to drop a couple hundred bucks in order to just do cable management at the new place. Now it looks like this, although this was taken before completion so it's a bit different now, a bit cleaner, and before PSVR.

That's roughly the same amount of wiring, except for some changes here and there, but now organized. The only problem is doing it this way makes it extremely inflexible to do pretty much anything without spending more money and taking a lot of time. I've already spent 2 hours trying to integrate PSVR and it's not done yet. Granted, it's because I had a major flaw in my design because I was trying to do something neat (hook every system up to use PSVR as a display without ever having to touch anything to do so) that didn't pan out and had to go back and rethink how I was going to do the wiring. But it took two hours to just hook up PSVR and then eventually unhook it. Now I had to spend another $25 to do it the right way and it'll probably take me another hour just to wire it up.

I plan to take some better pics of the final layout once I get the PSVR integrated and post them in the Gaming Setup thread. I might even start a thread about cable management too.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I wasn't going to buy Rex when I finally get my PSVR but I've heard so many great things from people here that I feel like I have to now!
I think if you have a PSVR + Pro(bonus), you owe it to yourselves to experience Rez in VR. Especially Area X since that section got the most noticeable Pro improvements. It is an amazing experience, but please do not take our word for it and actually experience it for yourselves.

I think if you have a PSVR + Pro(bonus), you owe it to yourselves to experience Rez in VR. Especially Area X since that section got the most noticeable Pro improvements. It is an amazing experience, but please do not take our word for it and actually experience it for yourselves.

Alright I'm going all in and getting it! Can't wait to experience it on my Pro too!

dmix90

Sorry to hear you're not getting on with the headset. Judging by what you've said, if you are talking even about the main PlayStation menus I'd hazard a guess you've not got the headset quite right. Pretty much my entire menu is crisp once I've got the headset in place.
I think i am getting used to bluriness on the edges of view( tried my best to adjust headset with a mild success )
After my headache went away i decided to try Kitchen demo. Now i really determined to fight motion sickness no matter what. I was literally shaking during demo and instinctively tried to avoid danger and even warn the other character. This is just another level of everything. I don't even know how to express this properly without capslock so i won't even try cause it needs to be seen in person. During this short experience i didn't even care about shitty IQ( my guess is that this demo is not PRO ready? ) cause it was that good. Only thing i might need to fix is my sitting position( or i just need a higher chair haha ) since during this demo i was clipping through character shoulders when tried to look what was in the back. Not sure how RE7 is going to work with full body movement and gameplay but i definitely can't wait to see what they will offer. Mind blown once again.

Glix

This thread is now killing me. KILLING ME.

How the hell am I going to swing a 400 dollar console at this point is beyond me.

Perhaps if I trade in my PS4 AND my WiiU?

bumpkin

How the hell am I going to swing a 400 dollar console at this point is beyond me.

If GS' website is accurate, that'd only net you a little over 220 bucks in store credit. You'd be better off selling them in the BST thread, though that probably wouldn't be instant turnaround.

I'm holding off on the Pro until they fix the issues people are having with PSVR; especially since that's what I'd be getting it to improve.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

You have to trade in/sell that PS4 if you thinking about getting the Pro. I got really luck with mine on craigslist when I sold it to some dude for $250. Def trade it in if you can get close to $200+ for it.

D23

I traded it in my ps4 and ps Vita at game stop. Got like $230 in store credit for it. Used it towards ps4 pro. Worth it.

Flandy

I played the first two level of Rez and I'm just not feeling it. Am I playing this wrong or something? I mean it's cool but I found myself pretty bored while playing it

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For people looking for a review of Space Rift: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/17/space-rift/

The Vrideo app seems alright. Lots of videos and you've got the option of downloading them if you're Internet is slow like mine and you can't stand the buffering!

Would quite like to pick up Eve but it's just so bloody expensive.

Man I hate reading this. I hope you get to review TimeTravel VR next.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm currently thinking of selling my PS4 for a Pro, especially that i have an old fat PS3 to that i can sell.

My god Rez Area X must be incredible with a better resolution.

I played the first two level of Rez and I'm just not feeling it. Am I playing this wrong or something? I mean it's cool but I found myself pretty bored while playing it

Interesting to see I am not the only one feeling this way.
I'm glad people are enjoying it but I'm surprised that it's not doing much for me.

The thing with Rez IMO, is that it's always been carried by Area 5, and maybe the Running Man Boss from area 4? I say stick with it. Area X is probably on par with Area 5 too.

I'm currently thinking of selling my PS4 for a Pro, especially that i have an old fat PS3 to that i can sell.

My god Rez Area X must be incredible with a better resolution.

the visual bump is incredible. An easy 100% improvement in patched games. If you're gonna own the PSVR, its well worth it.

Just got off a session with Rez, in fact. Opened up Area X, and it is lovely, but I had to quit halfway as my wife had fallen asleep next to me and I was too aware of the racket I was making with the pad to enjoy that part fully.

It's the first time I've owned or seriously played Rez. It's also the first time in VR where I've been able to forget about the thing I was wearing on my face, and get my actual game on. I think VR must make Rez a notably simpler game, because even as a novice I was able to power through from Area 2 to Area X without losing a life.

I also think, to enjoy the game, you probably have to really enjoy that soundtrack, to the point where the game is sort of a cool interactive music video that deepens your appreciation of the sonics. I still don't know if I've really 'got' the game, because I feel like there's an element of rhythmicality that I'm completely missing. But it wasn't until I started painting targets by nodding my head to the beat that I felt I might be getting close.

In my case though, EDM music with trippy vector graphics is a very easy sell. Can't wait to give Area X a proper go tomorrow.

For people looking for a review of Space Rift: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/17/space-rift/

The Vrideo app seems alright. Lots of videos and you've got the option of downloading them if you're Internet is slow like mine and you can't stand the buffering!

Would quite like to pick up Eve but it's just so bloody expensive.
i spent my $15 PSN voucher money on it and I'm downloading it now. A bit disappointed to hear it's short and the graphics are meh, I got it based on Steam user reviews. I hope it's worth my time since I tend to love space games even not so good ones.

Don't know if its been posted, but Star Wars x-wing mission for VR is December 6th.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/1-year-anniversary

No Pro support announcement yet :/
Thanks for the heads up I'm really looking forward to this.

Falls short of confirming the VR X-WING mission will be purchasable on its own ... I don't want to buy Battlefront just to play this ... But I will, you know.

I'm in the same boat but I think I saw where the Deluxe Edition of Battlefront was going to be $10 on BF. I already have it on Xbox One, it can be fun at times but Star Wars deserves a lengthy SP campaign in the Frostbite engine.

I think the magic has worn off for me personally. Thinking about returning it to best buy after finishing up job simulator.

Playing through Rez on this was mind blowing. Job Simulator is fun but the FOV gets to me after awhile. VR Worlds is fun but there's not much to it. We played through some Keep Talking and it was fun but not worth $400.

While I'll have lost around $50-60 from games, I'll take it as worth it due to knowing. I don't regret buying it (and will most likely rebuy in the future when more games come out and after a price drop) as I have had some good fun with it but right now I think I'll buy a PS4 Pro to go with my 4k tv instead.

tr00per

Don't know if its been posted, but Star Wars x-wing mission for VR is December 6th.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/1-year-anniversary

No Pro support announcement yet :/

Awesome thanks for the update!

Just got my 15 dollar credit. Considering another vr title. I currently have

Bound
Wayward sky
VEV
Keep talking
Vr worlds
Catlateral
Rigs
Tumble
Until dawn

I want to get another move game preferably. I've been looking at pixel gear and Ace banana. O my Genesis is only 3 bucks. I would spend 5 more and get Batman but I'm already way past my spending limit for games already, plus I wanted to get a physical copy. Should I just wait for a sale? What say you, VR gaf?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Got Batman, eagle flight, battle zone, Rez and thumper.

I played some Batman, amazing!

I played some battle zone. Oh wow!

I tried regular games and it's pretty cool, definitely more immersive

Netflix/YouTube was pretty sweet!

I'm super impressed so far dudes!! Super impressed.

Grinchy

Banned
I wish Battlezone was $30 :(

It hasn't edged out RIGS as my favorite game, but it's getting close. We just finished a Hard campaign. The game feels so hard at first and you wonder how anyone can beat it on Hard because you can't even get halfway through an Easy campaign. Then you git gud and suddenly even Hard isn't giving you too much of an issue.

It's a much more intricate game than it looks.

I wish Battlezone was $30 :(

It hasn't edged out RIGS as my favorite game, but it's getting close. We just finished a Hard campaign. The game feels so hard at first and you wonder how anyone can beat it on Hard because you can't even get halfway through an Easy campaign. Then you git gud and suddenly even Hard isn't giving you too much of an issue.

It's a much more intricate game than it looks.

I'm glad I managed to get this when I did, as it seems the prices have shot right back up again.

0WAvEjo.png

I agree with learning to play the game is one of the most important aspects of it, which sounds obvious, but really if you aren't any good then you cause problems for the other 3 in your team. Really looking forward to seeing the Pro enhancements in a weeks time.

Grinchy

Banned
Really looking forward to seeing the Pro enhancements in a weeks time.

I don't mean to rain on any parades, but the Pro mode barely looks any different at all :(

In fact I couldn't even notice the improvements despite looking for them. Amazing game, though. I really need to open up our campaigns and let random people join. I've been playing with just 1 other person the whole time.

I don't mean to rain on any parades, but the Pro mode barely looks any different at all :(

In fact I couldn't even notice the improvements despite looking for them. Amazing game, though. I really need to open up our campaigns and let random people join. I've been playing with just 1 other person the whole time.

The only issue with open campaigns is that some people can/will drop out. Sadly if you're quite a way through then it's almost impossible for a new player to get up to speed with upgrades etc which is a bit of a pain. I feel that they should maybe join with an data amount that's the average of what all players had fully earned.

somme

i spent my $15 PSN voucher money on it and I'm downloading it now. A bit disappointed to hear it's short and the graphics are meh, I got it based on Steam user reviews. I hope it's worth my time since I tend to love space games even not so good ones.

Sci-fi is my favourite genre, across most medium. I'm not sure whether that means I'm more harsh or more lenient when it comes to it. Perhaps a bit of both.

Space Rift probably has the worst voice acting since the original Resident Evil. Perhaps worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom