• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dudes. I just convinced my friend to get a PSVR. I really want to make the first experience amazing. Any recommendations on must-do games from the demo disc?
I hear Batman is incredible as well as the Play Room?
He has move controllers as well.

demo? Try them all. Eve is a bit shit. Kitchen is great.

Batman is wow.

PlayroomVR is free so yes that one.

REZ+THUMPER+Tethered+UD:ROD

Thewonandonly

Damn just got here they lie and that shits scary. I can barely play 2 minutes without my anxiety rising and I chicken out and get on gaf ;)

The good news is that it seems like I'm fine with moving using the analog stick. Havnt gotten sick yet. The only games to get me sick seem to envolve big drops like scavenger and the swinging game windworld I think?

Anyway that's good news for re7 even tho I know I won't play it much still hyped as hell ;) allright gaf going back in here they lie so all be back in a minute ;)

Just a reminder or to newcomers to put that light on the controller on HIGH!
I had forgotten I had put mine to low when playing a regular PS4 game. When I moved to PSVR 5 minutes of drifting, panic and cursing for no reason until it was rectified immediately by taking it off dim.

El-Suave

Any good anti-scratch solutions out there? My buddy who owns PSVR is getting paranoid as fuck of his glasses-wearing friends trying it out...

I can't imagine there are solutions for that except asking the friends repeatedly to be careful. Usually you know who you can trust and who you'll have to remind extra. I showcased my headset to somebody who hurled a Wiimote into a TV screen when the Wii was new and you saw all those videos of broken TVs. Never thought I'd see somebody who regularly plays games mess up that bad live first hand. ;) Fortunately nothing happened to the headset and the TV back then.

Flandy

We have anything coming out soon that's more gameplay focused. I enjoy the experience type stuff we're getting but it's a heavy burden on my wallet. Speaking of experiences how's Space Rift?

tr00per

I had forgotten I had put mine to low when playing a regular PS4 game. When I moved to PSVR 5 minutes of drifting, panic and cursing for no reason until it was rectified immediately by taking it off dim.

Good lookin out. That's probably something a lot of people don't think about. Something that should be updated to be done automatically when starting a psvr game with ds4 support, no?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Good lookin out. That's probably something a lot of people don't think about. Something that should be updated to be done automatically when starting a psvr game with ds4 support, no?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this has been debunked and it's set to high automatically when vr is on.

Edit- yeah this has been debunked so cope whatever caused your drifting was unrelated.

Bought a few games tonight, and thought I picked up Windlands. Turns out I selected Wayward Sky instead. At first I was a bit disappointed, but having tried WS now I'm a pretty relieved. It seems like a really charming and nice game I'll probably enjoy.

So I have the option of picking one of these up coming up in the next couple weeks. I'm interested but I'm worried what the actual longevity of PSVR will be and also how much dedicated support it will receive...

Anyone have any sources or info to ease my concerns?

Got a PS4 Pro and tried some VR games to compare with the OG PS4. Rez and VR Worlds look phenomenal. The difference is night and day. Robinson was pretty damn impressive too. Other games such as Thumper and Eagle Flight had minimal imorovements, but the ones that look good on the PS4 look REALLY GOOD.

No, as soon as you start a VR game the lights go back to high automatically.

Piichan

Banned
LOL really? I was aiming it like how you'd think you'd aim at (as opposed to the headset thing) - will try again tonight. I flicked it pretty good I thought but I'll always miss. Especially when its the high one. So my scores have been 3-8 (max). Some rounds, I can't even hit the top target. Epic fail.
The best way to throw batarangs is to act like you're jerking off using the Move controller. I'm dead serious.

The best way to throw batarangs is to act like you're jerking off using the Move controller. I'm dead serious.

Lol, faparang!

Just received a Sony survey mostly about PSVR, I asked them to make a new Colony Wars twice and mentioned how disappointed I was about the lack of 3d 360 video support.

Plasma

Banned
There's a demo on the Asian PSVR disc. It's a mobile game ported to VR and it looks and plays like that. It seemed fairly shallow, though if it's priced as cheap as the publisher's other games, it might be worth it. It felt like a budget Time Crisis clone.
Namco really needs to make Time Crisis VR I wouldn't even care if it looked like the original running at a higher resolution.

Waveset

Holy shit, such a blindingly obvious thing I'd forgotten to do, thank you!

edit

D'oh, should have continued reading.

dmix90

Well i am probably jumping to conclusions too fast as usual but looks like my body decided to resist anything vr related. It's only day 2 for me but i feel worse than yesterday after i could not resist and tried Driveclub and COD demos... First time in years i had a close to vomit feeling and had to lie down(again). For reference it's usually impossible to get anything out of my body once it's consumed lol( i can count such unpleasant occurrences of my lifetime on one hand )

Lowered screen brightness, recalibrated everything and sit in a chair before trying new stuff and it didn't help. Really want to try Kitchen demo but now i am fucking afraid to do so...

IQ in Driveclub was really bad, it felt like 480p but was still very impressed when you just sit in a cockpit. Can't say that i was impressed by COD IQ either but sense of presence is just amazing.

Overall i feel like focus zone is really small when you inside a headset. To make text etc not blurry you really need to move your head around and catch what you need in this small focus zone. What actually affects this focus zone size? Is it headset FOV specs or something else?

I feel like when your own body tells you to stop messing with it it's a good idea to listen? Getting pills and other shit before gaming sessions is also absurd.

Maligna

Banned
So I have the option of picking one of these up coming up in the next couple weeks. I'm interested but I'm worried what the actual longevity of PSVR will be and also how much dedicated support it will receive...

Anyone have any sources or info to ease my concerns?

Someone link this man the thread with the list of upcoming games. (I'd do it, but I don't have time at the moment)

Grinchy

Banned
I'm really looking forward to Holoball next week, but I'm a little worried about tracking. With Brookhaven and Job Simulator, I've never found the magic sweet spot for height, angle, distance, and lighting that makes PSVR track properly. It just seems to be awful at tracking for standing games.

I've tested and troubleshooted standing PSVR games more than I've actually played them.

Well i am probably jumping to conclusions too fast as usual but looks like my body decided to resist anything vr related. It's only day 2 for me but i feel worse than yesterday after i could not resist and tried Driveclub and COD demos... First time in years i had a close to vomit feeling and had to lie down(again). For reference it's usually impossible to get anything out of my body once it's consumed lol( i can count such unpleasant occurrences of my lifetime on one hand )

Lowered screen brightness, recalibrated everything and sit in a chair before trying new stuff and it didn't help. Really want to try Kitchen demo but now i am fucking afraid to do so...

IQ in Driveclub was really bad, it felt like 480p but was still very impressed when you just sit in a cockpit. Can't say that i was impressed by COD IQ either but sense of presence is just amazing.

Overall i feel like focus zone is really small when you inside a headset. To make text etc not blurry you really need to move your head around and catch what you need in this small focus zone. What actually affects this focus zone size? Is it headset FOV specs or something else?

I feel like when your own body tells you to stop messing with it it's a good idea to listen? Getting pills and other shit before gaming sessions is also absurd.

Sorry to hear you're not getting on with the headset. Judging by what you've said, if you are talking even about the main PlayStation menus I'd hazard a guess you've not got the headset quite right. Pretty much my entire menu is crisp once I've got the headset in place.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
PS4Pro arrived - commencing transfarring. Cant wait to check out the VR games and compare it to my PS4 experience ._.

*Splinter

Well when you combine with all the other wires, it just adds to this:

EgYgrGS.jpg
FFy1IEg.jpg

Here is the original PSVR+HDR thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=224155809#post224155809
I've linked a promising sounding post, thread has moved on a bit since I last read it, hopefully something in there works.
(Edit: look for posts by DJ Luscious on page 10/11 to see them solve/explain this).

I also found this thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1304983
For a quick 'n' dirty solution which still involved cable swapping but at least makes the cable swapping easier.

Hey all. I just wanted to inform anyone looking for storage solutions that this case is really good. It's molded on the inside and officially licensed fwiw.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LB4KJ90/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was using the box it came in, but I like this much better. I wanted a case but I didn't want to spend the money I could put on a game for one. I got it as a gift and I'm glad I did.
Gamestop has one very similar for 20 bucks cheaper.

Just finished a Normal and Long campaign in Battlezone. Now I have all the tanks from beating the Normal difficulty. This game is so fucking good.

On a side note, is anyone experiencing audio and video drops more often than ever before? I'm seeing it on my base PS4 and my brother's Pro, each with their own headsets. We have been having a ton of trouble with that recently. I don't think it's a Battlezone thing either because it happened when I played Brookhaven on the Pro earlier today too.
There's a post I made a few pages back. On mobile right now and time limited.

More than likely an HDCP issue.

Boot into safe mode from power OFF
Last selection is HDCP
Change it to 1.4 instead of Auto
It will reboot

Hope that helps.

Got a PS4 Pro and tried some VR games to compare with the OG PS4. Rez and VR Worlds look phenomenal. The difference is night and day. Robinson was pretty damn impressive too. Other games such as Thumper and Eagle Flight had minimal imorovements, but the ones that look good on the PS4 look REALLY GOOD.

Wait til u try playroomVR n batman. Night and day. Didn't think the improvement in Rez was too amazing.

tr00per

That's what I thought as well. There is text on the option that indicates it turns to high automatically if needed for tracking.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this has been debunked and it's set to high automatically when vr is on.

Edit- yeah this has been debunked so cope whatever caused your drifting was unrelated.

Well, then that's very smart. Thanks

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So. I kinda want to get this today. Why shouldn't I do it?

Also , I'm sure this is asked alot but,what games are the must haves?!

Thanks dudes!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Unless you're out of inputs and don't want to have to use two inputs to use your PS4. Add on top of that the fact that not everyone has that area accessible and it becomes a pain in the ass to constantly do.

Two inputs? You are switching the cable behind the PS4 only though, not touching the TV(which only needs a single input). But yes, it isn't exactly convenient getting behind the console to do the quick swap from the Supply unit to the PS4, but its not like you ever need to get anywhere else other than behind the PS4 to switch.

Spent some hours in VR with my new Pro last night. Random thoughts:

-played Jackal Assault, Thumper, Rez, Rush of Blood, Playroom VR, cinema mode
-zero blackouts
-Pro is louder than I expected, and gets hotter than I expected
-Playroom VR is the most enhanced, and the best graphics I've seen in PSVR
-I don't get the hype about Jackal Assault, the cockpit scale is very small, I feel like a midget. The controls don't make any sense either. I'd much rather play EVE...just waiting for a Pro patch
-Rush of Blood looks significantly better. Purchase justified. Thumper and Rez Area X look much better too.
-no improvement to cinema mode, as expected

Thanks dudes!

Be sure to check the first page, but in my opinion: Batman and Rez Infinite (for Area X alone), then play a bunch of the demos to see what you like and what feels comfortable. Feeling comfortable in VR is one of the most important aspects and you'll know right away when something feels weird.

ryseing

Thanks dudes!

Buy RIGS.

I love DCVR but some people get sick from it + the IQ is bad.

Those are the two most substantial titles gameplay wise IMO.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Thanks dudes!

Quoting myself again:

Thumper
Tethered
Playroom VR (free)
Batman if you like... Batman, but its a shorter experience. Very impressive.
Bound if you like Flower/Journey style games
Rigs if you like MP FPS, have a filled wallet and an iron stomach
Harmonix VR if you like creative drawing & chilling to sights and sounds
DriveClub if you like driveclubbing

Then there is some more really good stuff with Eagle Flight, Headmaster, Wayward Sky, Battlezone, VEV, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood...

Many VR games have demoes, and I highly recommend checking out all of them. You might be surprised by a game in a genre you wouldnt have expected.

El-Suave

Thanks dudes!

Do you get/have Move controllers? If the answer is yes Batman is a pretty safe game to get. That isn't on the demo disc which I suggest you check out before jumping on any games. There are 20 demos, so that'll easily get you through your first day with the headset and it will allow you to make more informed purchases.
Of the games that don't have demos yet I'd recommend Eagle Flight alongside Batman. Both are great and safe for newcomers because they have a low tendency to make people feel unwell when they try out the new tech.

Bought a few games tonight, and thought I picked up Windlands. Turns out I selected Wayward Sky instead. At first I was a bit disappointed, but having tried WS now I'm a pretty relieved. It seems like a really charming and nice game I'll probably enjoy.

You did good! It's a fantastic little game! If there is one game that really made me feel 'in the game' this one is it... amazing experience... everyone should play this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom