• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffvorax

Awesome thanks for the update!

Just got my 15 dollar credit. Considering another vr title. I currently have

Bound
Wayward sky
VEV
Keep talking
Vr worlds
Catlateral
Rigs
Tumble
Until dawn

I want to get another move game preferably. I've been looking at pixel gear and Ace banana. O my Genesis is only 3 bucks. I would spend 5 more and get Batman but I'm already way past my spending limit for games already, plus I wanted to get a physical copy. Should I just wait for a sale? What say you, VR gaf?

Tumble is fun and cheap.
Until Dawn is a decent long action experience, horror/splatter so if you like the setting and have two moves is a nice game really.
Personally I really liked Wayvard Sky. Puzzles are very easy and the game doesn't last longer than 3h I think, but it's a nice story and fun to play, also there is a very good sense of scale.

I'm never getting tired of watching people play PSVR for the first time.
One of my friends totally freaked out when the shark showed up in Ocean Descent.

Finally got a PSVR about an hour ago. Some quick impressions:

I had tried PSVR previously twice; once at work about a year and a half ago (dev model - did the deep sea dive thing), and once at PAX West (Rez Infinite demo). Both times, I had an issue where I was unable to configure the headset such that it wasn't at least a little bit blurry.

Now that I had it in my house, I spent a solid 10 minutes trying to figure out how to make it display clearly. I tried making it clear for one eye, but it would blur the fuck out of the other. I tried making it closer, but for it to even work at all, it has to be so close that my eyelashes rub against the lenses when I blink, creating smudges instantly, though I didn't start to notice them until towards the end of the hour. Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce blurriness? Anything I might be overlooking as (essentially) a first-time user?

The first demo I tried was Driveclub VR. Regular Driveclub was pretty average to me, but in VR, I had an "oh, shit!" moment when I passed a car, and turned and watched as he fell behind me. I had another one when I rounded a corner and looked towards the inside. That's something that's always been impossible for me in the few racing games that had camera controls like that. I plan on buying this when it gets cheap, or getting GT Sport if that comes out first.

The next game I tried was Super Hyper Cube. As a Polytron game, it was already gonna be a must-buy, but man. It's just solid. A nice, unique game.

Then I tried Rigs, which is one of my most highly anticipated VR games. I was pretty sorely disappointed by it, but I'll give it another shot with the control/view options I didn't pick: "mask off," whatever the fuck that means, and head turning, which actually was pretty awkward. The game didn't really "click" for me. It seems really boring on its surface. Shooting lacks impact, for example.

I then played Thumper. God damn. It's an interesting game because the VR implementation really does nothing but immerse you in the game. Neither motion controls nor perspective are taken advantage of in the game's mechanics, which is kinda disappointing, but at least helps ensure that the developer can sell enough copies of the game to eat.

The last demo I played, since it was well past 2 AM and it seemed appropriate, was Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. I played it with two Move controllers, and I can confirm, I felt a rush of blood. I've always felt jump scares were cheap, though.

Overall, I thought the games I played suffered from a lack of depth. Driveclub VR is great, but I'm not sure the gameplay holds up on a controller. Super Hyper Cube is a Tetris-level platformer. I don't know if the nature of the game starts to change slightly as you progress, but I imagine the difficulty curve is fairly linear; the further in you get, the more cubes you have to fit through increasingly elaborate holes. Rigs just felt uninspired. Thumper is a pretty, but easy and straightforward rhythm game.

I'm just not seeing anything that I would sink dozens of hours into yet, much less hundreds.

I recall reading about "tracking issues," but I only really noticed problems when I was navigating menus; depending on the game, but particularly on the OS, there's this weird property where the distance from the in-game camera is fixed, so if you lean forward and backward, the menu moves with you, even though it doesn't follow your other movements. It's a little strange, and I kinda wish the menu was on a post, or something fixing it in place so it makes sense.

One thing that jumped out at me was the smoothness of the framerate. I don't think I saw a single dropped frame the entire time I played. It was just butter, which is interesting, because I didn't expect the PS4 to be able to perform like that.

I also noted that I had no nausea or motion sickness, even after playing for an hour straight. I had some eye strain, but it was 3 AM and I had gotten 4 hours of sleep.

My current strategy is to play every single demo/free game/app, and clear my Gamefly queue to make room for VR titles. After what I've seen, I'm pretty dubious of the prices these games are commanding. I wouldn't pay more than $5 or $10 for most of them, even though I'm seeing some on sale for $40 and $60.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention was that, aside from Rigs and Until Dawn, I had an ear to ear grin the entire time I was playing. I think I enjoyed Thumper most of all, which isn't surprising, considering it relies on VR the least of all the games I tried.

Grinchy

Banned
The only issue with open campaigns is that some people can/will drop out. Sadly if you're quite a way through then it's almost impossible for a new player to get up to speed with upgrades etc which is a bit of a pain. I feel that they should maybe join with an data amount that's the average of what all players had fully earned.

Wow, I never even thought of that. It's always been me and one person and occasionally me and 2 people who start and (try to) finish together. Now I feel like the only trophies I'll never get is beating a campaign with the same 4 people and getting 10 million data. The 10 million data one is absurdly stupid.

So Brookhaven or Until Dawn?
Until Dawn, hands down. Brookhaven is a cool game, but it feels a little limited and it puts a giant spotlight on PSVR's tracking limitations.

kinggroin

Banned
I beat Rez! First time I ever played the game. Glad it happened in VR.

Gotta say, Area X was nice, but I wasn't blown away. In fact, it was Area 5 that really had me ooooohhhh and ahhhhh-ing.

Think I'll buy Until Dawn next

Wow, I never even thought of that. It's always been me and one person and occasionally me and 2 people who start and (try to) finish together. Now I feel like the only trophies I'll never get is beating a campaign with the same 4 people and getting 10 million data. The 10 million data one is absurdly stupid.

Well if you ever see me playing just chuck me an invite PSN-AbandonedTrolley , I've managed to complete a couple of times now and it's great when you get a team together that stick it out.

Taker666

I really hope we see more Star Wars VR.

I'd pay good money for a first person lightsaber game along the lines of Wii Sports Resort Swordplay.

Visually it could be great as your opponent would be up close all the time. Imagine one on one fights with Star Wars characters as detailed as those in Arkham VR.

kinggroin

Banned
I really hope we see more Star Wars VR.

I'd pay good money for a first person lightsaber game along the lines of Wii Sports Resort Swordplay.

Visually it could be great to as your opponent would be up close all the time (imagine one on one fights with Star Wars characters as detailed as those in Arkham VR)

You have no idea how big a cock tease that recently released Star Wars experience was for the Vive. You get the lightsaber, and juuuust as you start to feel like a bad ass, it ends.

*Splinter

Thumper is a pretty, but easy
rwVGW.gif

Apart from that, I think your criticisms are fair, I haven't found anything with the longevity of a non-VR game (except maybe for Rigs, which I love but unfortunately doesnt have the player base to support its online mode).

I'd recommend Eagle Flight next time you're looking for a new game. It's very Ubisoft (collectibles, repeated mission types) but it makes good use of the head tracking and is a blast to play. Like Thumper, it starts easy but gets a lot more difficult later on. It also has a multiplayer mode which is a lot of fun, but as with Rigs you might struggle to find a game.

*Splinter

Until Dawn, hands down. Brookhaven is a cool game, but it feels a little limited and it puts a giant spotlight on PSVR's tracking limitations.

Well if you ever see me playing just chuck me an invite PSN-AbandonedTrolley , I've managed to complete a couple of times now and it's great when you get a team together that stick it out.
Feel free to add me as well, I've beaten short campaigns on all difficulties, but I'd really like a full team who will commit to a long hard campaign.
BOL-EvilSplinter

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone else buy a Lenspen to clean the lenses? I grabbed this one:

jdzdNuT.jpg

Link

And I'm pretty surprised by the results. I used the cloth that came with the PSVR for like a month and just assumed it was cleaning the lenses as well as they'll ever be cleaned. This pen made me realize that's not even close to reality lol. I had no idea my lenses were so smudged up until I used this.

Glix

Got Batman, eagle flight, battle zone, Rez and thumper.

I played some Batman, amazing!

I played some battle zone. Oh wow!

I tried regular games and it's pretty cool, definitely more immersive

Netflix/YouTube was pretty sweet!

I'm super impressed so far dudes!! Super impressed.

Don't sleep on the Playroom. The platformer will blow your mind!

Finally got a PSVR about an hour ago. Some quick impressions:

Now that I had it in my house, I spent a solid 10 minutes trying to figure out how to make it display clearly. I tried making it clear for one eye, but it would blur the fuck out of the other. I tried making it closer, but for it to even work at all, it has to be so close that my eyelashes rub against the lenses when I blink, creating smudges instantly, though I didn't start to notice them until towards the end of the hour. Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce blurriness? Anything I might be overlooking as (essentially) a first-time user?

Have you tried configuring the eye to eye distance? If yes and it didn't work, then you should use the Reddit guide to do it manually, maybe the distance the PSVR gives you is not working for you and should try different ranges close to your correct eye distance.

here you go

Hope this helps.

P.S: another thing might be to put it as focused as possible then lower or raise the band on the back of the headset, sometimes users report that they have to put it in weird positions like very high on the crown of the head or put the headset a little lopsided, because you know different eyes and heads for everyone and no headset can have a perfect universal design. Try it out as many weird ways a possible. My configuration requires me to lower the band a low as possible, my gf needs it as high as possible due to hair lol.

jdzdNuT.jpg

Link

And I'm pretty surprised by the results. I used the cloth that came with the PSVR for like a month and just assumed it was cleaning the lenses as well as they'll ever be cleaned. This pen made me realize that's not even close to reality lol. I had no idea my lenses were so smudged up until I used this.

User since day one and nothing comes close. If you try this, it's dirt cheap, you'll never ever wanna use something else.

Used LensPen before in photography and also with very positive results.

User since day one and nothing comes close. If you try this, it's dirt cheap, you'll never ever wanna use something else.

I already had one myself but was too lazy to go and find it so was just using the cloth. Found the pen by accident the other day and decided to clean the lens with it, my word they were nasty.

joeblow

jdzdNuT.jpg

Link

It's been on back-order for weeks.

rwVGW.gif

Apart from that, I think your criticisms are fair, I haven't found anything with the longevity of a non-VR game (except maybe for Rigs, which I love but unfortunately doesnt have the player base to support its online mode).

I'd recommend Eagle Flight next time you're looking for a new game. It's very Ubisoft (collectibles, repeated mission types) but it makes good use of the head tracking and is a blast to play. Like Thumper, it starts easy but gets a lot more difficult later on. It also has a multiplayer mode which is a lot of fun, but as with Rigs you might struggle to find a game.

Yeah, Thumper hasn't been a challenge at all so far (beat three or four end bosses so far). We'll see how it goes moving forward.

Jimmy_liv

O! My genesis - is it the first full level? Played the demo and what's actually different between that and the proper thing?
It's only £2.50, how big/good can it be for that??

Also, time machine is now out on UK stores. Anyone seen a review for the PSVR version?

I've been really generally enjoying PSVR. Rez, Thumper, Superhypercube are freaking amazing. After getting the PS4 Pro, it's all I need performance-wise from VR at the moment. Unfortunately, there are certain experiences I just can't get past. Rigs and Robinson make me absolutely nauseous and uneasy, and I am generally the type of guy with an iron stomach. It's disconcerting and it turns me off of the headset altogether, to the point that I don't even want to look at it. I hope that these negative associations don't build up to the point that I can't enjoy VR at all.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
O! My genesis - is it the first full level? Played the demo and what's actually different between that and the proper thing?
It's only £2.50, how big/good can it be for that??

Also, time machine is now out on UK stores. Anyone seen a review for the PSVR version?

There is a full level in the paid version, which you can finish in about 30-40 minutes, but there might be more planets to come. I thought the 30-40 minutes and added mechanics over the tutorial was worth it for 3 bucks.

somme

I've been really generally enjoying PSVR. Rez, Thumper, Superhypercube are freaking amazing. After getting the PS4 Pro, it's all I need performance-wise from VR at the moment. Unfortunately, there are certain experiences I just can't get past. Rigs and Robinson make me absolutely nauseous and uneasy, and I am generally the type of guy with an iron stomach. It's disconcerting and it turns me off of the headset altogether, to the point that I don't even want to look at it. I hope that these negative associations don't build up to the point that I can't enjoy VR at all.

How long/how many days have you been playing? "VR legs" is definitely a thing.

I'm tempted by Brookhaven and Time Machine, but am struggling to find many reviews.

I realise that Brookhaven has made some compromises to cope with the Move tracking limitations (it's 180 degrees with a quick turn button, right?), but I thought it looked pretty good from the PS Access video and a couple of streams.

I've been taking an enforced break from VR because of a minor health problem, but I'm ready to dive back in! Stupid real-world body.

majik13

Then I tried Rigs, which is one of my most highly anticipated VR games. I was pretty sorely disappointed by it, but I'll give it another shot with the control/view options I didn't pick: "mask off," whatever the fuck that means, and head turning, which actually was pretty awkward. The game didn't really "click" for me. It seems really boring on its surface. Shooting lacks impact, for example.

Did you only play the demo? The demo kinda just throws you in, without much explanation. I felt the same way after the demo, disappointed, but actually playing the full game and doing the lengthy intro tuturial, and testing different control options, really showed what Rigs is about and now I love it.

sourc3d

I'm tempted by Brookhaven and Time Machine, but am struggling to find many reviews.

I realise that Brookhaven has made some compromises to cope with the Move tracking limitations (it's 180 degrees with a quick turn button, right?), but I thought it looked pretty good from the PS Access video and a couple of streams.

I've been taking an enforced break from VR because of a minor health problem, but I'm ready to dive back in! Stupid real-world body.

I jumped in on Brookhaven last night, again hadn't seen much of it or read much in the way of impressions on PS4, so I was actually pleasantly surprised.

It does offer the 'circle' to 180 but tbh I was turning 180/270 to shoot/machete anything that moved and it coped better than expected with the tracking dropout as I faced away from the camera.

Only played the first couple of levels last night, but enjoying it so far and will look forward to inflicting it on my friends too!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So Brookhaven or Until Dawn?

Haven't played Brookhaven(isn't it a 360 degree "turret-like defense game" against waves of zombies?)

Until Dawn is one of the more impressive rail shooters ever crafted...when the tracking isn't total dogshit. Mileage varies there, sometimes it plays nice for me, other times I want to chuck my PSVR in the trash due to motion tracking, drift, and z-wobble issues.

Beyond that, Until Dawn's 7 or 8 levels are filled with surprises, scares, secrets, and all manner of creative visual eye candy to please.

I jumped in on Brookhaven last night, again hadn't seen much of it or read much in the way of impressions on PS4, so I was actually pleasantly surprised.

It does offer the 'circle' to 180 but tbh I was turning 180/270 to shoot/machete anything that moved and it coped better than expected with the tracking dropout as I faced away from the camera.

Only played the first couple of levels last night, but enjoying it so far and will look forward to inflicting it on my friends too!

Thanks for the info! We've got some friends coming round for dinner tonight, so might see if they want to try PSVR. Brookhaven might go well with a bit of Kitchen and Rush of Blood!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Did you only play the demo? The demo kinda just throws you in, without much explanation. I felt the same way after the demo, disappointed, but actually playing the full game and doing the lengthy intro tuturial, and testing different control options, really showed what Rigs is about and now I love it.

Good to know this. I was turned right off by Rigs playing the demo. Just felt confused and lost, which is a death knell for a demo.

It's been on back-order for weeks.

um there are plenty of sellers offering reasonable prices. Are you just looking at shipped and sold by Amazon?

Mine delivered yesterday and everyone is correct - it is the perfect tool for cleaning lenses. I used to use canned air and a cloth, but this takes up much less space and does a better job.

somme

Good question. I'd really like an excuse to get the VR out on Christmas day...

To be honest, if you're with a bunch of people who haven't tried it before, even single player games are really fun for everyone.

Pixel Gear has a multiplayer mode coming out next week. Not sure what that entails but considering the price and the excellent Move tracking it's worth it for the single player anyway.

Glix

I picked up a "LENSPEN ORIGINAL" from a photography equipment place on Broadway on my lunch. $10, cleaned my glasses real nice!

Absolutely. Got it on recommendation of this thread and it is the perfect device for PSVR. Feels like it came in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom