• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
VirZoom Arcade
PS VR — Digital

It's a game for a $400/$500 accessory that requires another $400 accessory. If it were half that, I might be interested. But that's the price of a PS4 Pro and if I had $400 to spend, I'd go for the Pro. If GTA V was patched to work with the VirZoom bike when you use bikes in the game, I'd be way more interested in it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Eagle Flight. Bound is pretty but it's not a good game.

Thats stretching it a bit, its less "game" in classical terms, but its by no means bad. Plus its half the price of Eagle Flight.

Eagle Flight.

I've been playing it with this pointed directly at my face

91v07u%2BsE-L._SL1500_.jpg

Amazing.

Is Eagle Flight an enjoyable package? I might be able to get this quite cheap.

Where would you rank it between Driveclub VR, RIGS and Tumble VR?

I have to say, the major boost in graphical fidelity for Playroom VR, RIGS & Thumper because of the Pro just blows me away. The games that have the Pro update are so insanely sharp, it's ridiculous.

So, been playing some Space Rift and I'm enjoying it.

The in-between space stuff (story) is horrendous but I've done a couple cool missions so far and it's a trip flying a space ship. Scale is really great here too.

Graphics are nice and sharp on an OG ps4.

Any love for this title??

Been playing more Rez. It's great, really got that old school Sega replayability thing going on. Every time I finish an area, I think "Well why don't I try ..." and start another area. Plus you always know you could do it better. Plus there are bonuses to play for! Area X was great, I'm glad I stopped last night and picked it up again today. I got a better hang of the controls, steering by leaning and right triggers for speed. I don't think it was wise to introduce these controls in a black space with no landmarks to make them clear, but w/e! It's a fabulous experience. I slowly drifted up to one of the new style 'section end' waypoints, and revolved around it ... Stunning. And those dragons are visions of beauty. I'm so glad I got this game, it's personally a VR killer app.

Speaking of which, YOU MUST try the Croft Mansion bonus content in Rise of the Tomb Raider. I wasn't ready for how awesomely freaking cool this is. The mansion is so detailed, and drips atmosphere ... And being VR, you really feel you're in it. Just unworldly. I didn't bother taking comfort controls off, because the default locomotion is actually kind of genius. The implementation is admittedly somewhat fiddly, allowing you to get too close to things for comfort, and using some fussy line of sight rules that serve no purpose. But it just takes acclimatisation and is still both clever and useful.

The part where you first take a torch into a darkened area is a billion times scarier than the kitchen demo imo. Even though you know Tomb Raider is not a horror game and there is nothing in there to get you ... It's got more of a sense of presence, and the world is just so real. To be clear, the game makes no effort to be scary at all, no spooky music ... It's just genuinely unnerving outside of its intent, and that's WHY it's unnerving. You're alone, it's dark, you're descending a dark and decrepit staircase ... Ugh!

This is a fantastic showcase demo, especially for oldsters who think computer games are all CoD. Are there any 'full fat' games on similar lines? Robinson? Batman? Just curious as I don't have PS Moves yet.

Edit: Also, Vrideo seems to be broken for me, I get to the VR cockpit part, but just get the loading pips, no text, no images, nothing. Tried restarting PS4, tried deleting and reinstalling the app, no difference. I downloaded a few clips yesterday (before this experience) and really would like to see them. Emailed Vrideo for support, but wondering if anyone has/had similar.

Man, the feeling of PSVR gaming is so incredibly immersive I'm not sure if I could ever go back to regular gaming. It's just so mind-blowing that we have this sort of tech in our homes.

Trackmania Turbo VR is so insanely cool and leaves me with a constant smile on my face. It's just insane. As is Battlezone. I feel like I'm there. I look around and am surrounded by this foreign world. It's like I've totally left my body and went somewhere else. The feeling is just something else.

Granted, I'm a VR noob, and while I've used the Gear VR and Google Cardboard, I've never tried the Rift or Vive. So maybe this post may come across as 🙄.

I tried Windlands today and it was seriously just mind-boggling. I had to quit because I didn't want to get sick, and I'm afraid of heights 😆

Next up, Eagle Flight.

The Chef

Experiencing a very weird problem.
Playing PSVR I dont have any problems except for the TV output and audio keep cutting in and out. Goes to black with no audio and pops back in constantly. I cannot figure it out.
Any ideas?

bumpkin

Woohoo! Robinson platinum'ed! I have my complaints about the game, but all in all I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was definitely worth the $32 via Best Buy GCU that I paid for it.

Now back to Eagle Flight.

tr00per

Tumble is fun and cheap.
Until Dawn is a decent long action experience, horror/splatter so if you like the setting and have two moves is a nice game really.
Personally I really liked Wayvard Sky. Puzzles are very easy and the game doesn't last longer than 3h I think, but it's a nice story and fun to play, also there is a very good sense of scale.

Well thank you for responding but I already have all of those :p

I'll probably just save it for something else

So, been playing some Space Rift and I'm enjoying it.

The in-between space stuff (story) is horrendous but I've done a couple cool missions so far and it's a trip flying a space ship. Scale is really great here too.

Graphics are nice and sharp on an OG ps4.

Any love for this title??
I'm enjoying it as well. Yea the in-between sections have crappy dialogue and voice acting but everything else is cool. I love flying in space and the scale is really good in the game. Makes me want Elite Dangerous on PSVR badly.

I'll do all of those except Kismet. It's not even a game and is about Astrology. I can you tell you now it's bollocks. haha

Great, I am looking forward to the reviews.

On a side note, I finished Here They Lie two days ago. I really liked the game overall. Sure, it looks blurry and the main character walks too slow for my liking, but the atmosphere is top notch, and it was fun to walk around and explore. There are some really trippy sequences as well. Anyone who likes Lovecraft and David Lynch should check it out.

Last night, I played though Wayward Sky in one sitting. This is one of the most polished games that I played on PSVR so far. It looks great and plays well. The only downside is the game's short length. I beat it in 3-4 hours.

I am going to fire up Robinson next.

Shoeless

Woohoo! Robinson platinum'ed! I have my complaints about the game, but all in all I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was definitely worth the $32 via Best Buy GCU that I paid for it.

Now back to Eagle Flight.

Trophy questions:

How do I get Laika to pick things up?

I've used the basket and the lures, what's the 3rd way to catch fish?

Darvan

Experiencing a very weird problem.
Playing PSVR I dont have any problems except for the TV output and audio keep cutting in and out. Goes to black with no audio and pops back in constantly. I cannot figure it out.
Any ideas?

HI Chef,

Try this and see if it helps,

1. Access Safe Mode on your PS4. To do this you need to turn off the PS4 Pro by pressing the power button on the front panel of the console. Once the PS4 Pro is fully off, press and hold the power button down again for around seven seconds until you hear a second ‘power up’ beep. Then connect your joystick via USB, and press its PS button.

2. Select option 8 (HCDP Mode adjustment)

3. Select option 2 (HDCP 1.4)

4. Your system will restart when you select OK.

bumpkin

Trophy questions:

How do I get Laika to pick things up?

I've used the basket and the lures, what's the 3rd way to catch fish?
Point at the object with your laser (L2) and long press right on the D-pad.

This one is a pain in the ass. Basically, I waited by the river with Laika nearby and watched for a fish to jump so far out of the water it ends up on land. Do what I described above to make Laika grab it and bring it to you.

If you've already
gotten Laika to see-saw on the Farm
, you've completed the most difficult and buggy action in the game that you need to complete to get platinum. lol.

The Chef

HI Chef,

Try this and see if it helps,

1. Access Safe Mode on your PS4. To do this you need to turn off the PS4 Pro by pressing the power button on the front panel of the console. Once the PS4 Pro is fully off, press and hold the power button down again for around seven seconds until you hear a second ‘power up’ beep. Then connect your joystick via USB, and press its PS button.

2. Select option 8 (HCDP Mode adjustment)

3. Select option 2 (HDCP 1.4)

4. Your system will restart when you select OK.

Wow! Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.

ymgve

Are the motion controls in Job Simulator jittery like hell for everyone, or is it my setup? Using the mouse in the office sim is really hard when it jumps around all the time.

In Robinson, how do you get past the long neck sitting on his ass in the tar pit? This is directly after getting the one to drop the HIG in its mouth.

bumpkin

In Robinson, how do you get past the long neck sitting on his ass in the tar pit? This is directly after getting the one to drop the HIG in its mouth.
Direct Laika to roar at it. I put the laser pointer right on the sitting dinosaur's hip. It should respond by standing up and walking away.

Immediately after you do that, look at HIGS and press X to do another power circuit puzzle. I missed this on my first time going through the area, but it's required in order to check off the "Solve all HIGS puzzles completely" objective for the Tar Pits.

I disagree with you on Bound. I thought it was a pretty awesome experience. Why didn't you like it?

It's a game about a dancer that's got the feet of an elephant. The animation is fluid, but the dancer herself feels awkward to control. Rather than factoring into the platforming in a meaningful way, the dancing itself is almost purely decorative. The hazards you face aren't challenging, they're just temporary irritants. The camera shifts add little and are occasionally pointlessly disorientating. The would-be 'emotional' story is trite. And cutscenes can't be skipped when you're speedrunning, which all but proves it's a game that's designed more to be looked at than played.

I was really looking forward to it, too. It's a waste of a great idea, and the most disappointing thing I've played all year by quite a distance.

Happy to be unbanned after a month and be back in the VR thread!

Quick story.
Somewhere in the last month I bought Here They Lie and RIGS.
Both made me very sick. I called Sony, told them this and they just straight up refunded me the money. This isn't the first refund on my account either. Pretty cool.

With Robinson I was very worried about motion sickness but I bought it anyway. Fucking paid 60 dollars for it on PSN..which I will just have to get over..and played a little. I think the pie chart turning is a very cool idea it just doesn't 100% work for the eyes. If Here They Lie's turning made me 80% sick, Robinson with the incremental pie chart turning makes me 55% sick.

So tomorrow after a good nights sleep I am going to try a few of these motion sickness remedies I bought:
Non Drowsy Dramamine
Ginger Dramamine
Sea Bands

I'll try one at a time everyday to see which works best.

Also..another endorsement. PS4 PRO makes a HUGE difference. Glad I gave in and bought one.

Grinchy

Banned
Are the motion controls in Job Simulator jittery like hell for everyone, or is it my setup? Using the mouse in the office sim is really hard when it jumps around all the time.

The game requires you to stand back pretty far from the camera and the further away you are, the worse the tracking gets. It adds up to frustration. The company who makes it put up a guide that might help a little bit.

Massa

Was having terrible wobbling issues yesterday for a while, with every game... until I remembered to power cycle to PU box. That fixed it immediately.

Did you only play the demo? The demo kinda just throws you in, without much explanation. I felt the same way after the demo, disappointed, but actually playing the full game and doing the lengthy intro tuturial, and testing different control options, really showed what Rigs is about and now I love it.

I look forward to receiving it from Gamefly, then.

rwVGW.gif

Apart from that, I think your criticisms are fair, I haven't found anything with the longevity of a non-VR game (except maybe for Rigs, which I love but unfortunately doesnt have the player base to support its online mode).

I'd recommend Eagle Flight next time you're looking for a new game. It's very Ubisoft (collectibles, repeated mission types) but it makes good use of the head tracking and is a blast to play. Like Thumper, it starts easy but gets a lot more difficult later on. It also has a multiplayer mode which is a lot of fun, but as with Rigs you might struggle to find a game.

Same for these. Unless later Thumper levels add another button...

Have you tried configuring the eye to eye distance? If yes and it didn't work, then you should use the Reddit guide to do it manually, maybe the distance the PSVR gives you is not working for you and should try different ranges close to your correct eye distance.

here you go

Hope this helps.

P.S: another thing might be to put it as focused as possible then lower or raise the band on the back of the headset, sometimes users report that they have to put it in weird positions like very high on the crown of the head or put the headset a little lopsided, because you know different eyes and heads for everyone and no headset can have a perfect universal design. Try it out as many weird ways a possible. My configuration requires me to lower the band a low as possible, my gf needs it as high as possible due to hair lol.

Thanks, but changing the IPD didn't improve the blurriness issue for me. My IPD was set to the default of 63 mm; the tool said my IPD is actually 75 mm.

Unfortunately not. Instant killer app if they ever integrate the two.

Sucks. I think I'll hold out until after they add that support, then.

just finished BATMAN VR

if you're on the fence like I was, this is definitely worth the $20 bucks they're asking for it. Its pretty amazing with you playing "detective batman" and going through gotham trying to work out what happens to robin. some truly great VR work and sequences in it. One extremely clever implementation of the gyro in the move.

Highlights + Big spoilers
A) the time reversal nightwave death, robin and his death at the hands of the croc was a shock and also scary at the same time C) the last bit of insanity in the asylum with the appearing characters in the cell. Oh, they had you at a lowered viewport as young bruce also so the adults were towering over you.

powerful stuff.

Character viewer mode is amazing. It brought me back to RE5's excellent model viewer but animated and life sized. I think its not that hard to implement so hopefully future games can have a VR gallery (if they're not VR games). So good just looking at the ingame character models in VR.

Extremely high quality content for PSVR, get on it you guys. Had a blast.

PSVR games for next week

Gary the Gull

PS VR — Digital

Holoball

PS VR — Digital

Proton Pulse
PS VR — Digital

VirZoom Arcade
PS VR — Digital

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/18/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-11222016/

Just watched the trailers for all of these. Between these and last weeks garbage we are really seeing the bottom of the VR barrel. What the fuck is that Seagull shit?

I built up a nice VR backlog so weeks like these don't feel so down. Nothing like those first two 10 days where you checked the PSVR/NEW section of the PSN Store and some random game was there.

I Expect You to Die can't come soon enough!!

Grinchy

Banned
Just watched the trailers for all of these. Between these and last weeks garbage we are really seeing the bottom of the VR barrel. What the fuck is that Seagull shit?

I built up a nice VR backlog so weeks like these don't feel so down. Nothing like those first two 10 days where you checked the PSVR/NEW section of the PSN Store and some random game was there.

I Expect You to Die can't come soon enough!!

Dude, Holoball is going to be sweet.

Direct Laika to roar at it. I put the laser pointer right on the sitting dinosaur's hip. It should respond by standing up and walking away.

Immediately after you do that, look at HIGS and press X to do another power circuit puzzle. I missed this on my first time going through the area, but it's required in order to check off the "Solve all HIGS puzzles completely" objective for the Tar Pits.
Thanks, I'll try this today.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sucks. I think I'll hold out until after they add that support, then.
Harmonix made it pretty clear that the Game will Never get another Feature update. And even with its half baked feature set, its easily the most immersive and Impressive experience I had so far.

somme

Harmonix made it pretty clear that the Game will Never get another Feature update. And even with its half baked feature set, its easily the most immersive and Impressive experience I had so far.

And it's not hard to chuck some mp3's on a usb stick.

Theonik

Need a quick answer to this: is the "new" PlayStation camera that is rounded any different than the one I bought with the PS4 on launch day?
Same spec, parts are different though, there is reports of different visual and tracking characteristics between the two. Someone in this thread tested it earlier.

btrboyev

I thought they would at least at some more features and graphic fidelity. I want the easel portion to be on par with googles on the vive

somme

I thought they would at least at some more features and graphic fidelity. I want the easel portion to be on par with googles on the vive

Dreams is coming out next year. Once that is out it's the only art creation tool you'll need. And it's in VR.

Toma

Nope, I was just looking into that topic 2 days ago. They will not add any more features or improvements. They might possibly be looking into the savegame restriction, but thats it.

But yeah, while this obviously limits the ease of use, I found great pleasure in throwing an mp3 album on a stick and playing through that album as 1 session.

Dreams is coming out next year. Once that is out it's the only art creation tool you'll need. And it's in VR.

Yeah, but I wouldnt mind tiltbrush to tide me over.

Or Google Earth. Goddarn it, google needs to get their apps on PSVR.

RoyalFool

Banned
Need a quick answer to this: is the "new" PlayStation camera that is rounded any different than the one I bought with the PS4 on launch day?

They are different but the same, it doesn't have improved specs - but it does have slightly different hardware which is noticeable when viewing what the camera sees in that 'heat vision' mode calibration screen.

Get whichever is cheapest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom