• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doosi

Banned
disappointed with eagle flight. dunno why i expected it to be better

i am surprised windlands isn't getting a lot of love here. i think it's one of the best vr titles out there

btrboyev

Wow, I just wasted money on Eagle Flight. What a boring game. And the immersion is not there at all. The fact that you see part of the body and the blackened edges ruin all immersion.

Terrible game.

Maligna

Banned
Can I use remote play on my Vita (so it can be a second controller for playing Playroom VR) while someone is in the PSVR headset?

Very true. Some games are worth the money: Until Dawn, Tethered, Pixel Gear, Thumper. Robinson, Eve, and Rigs are all pretty pricey though.

I think Until Dawn is priced perfectly for what it is. It's one of the best games to boot.

So I've reached a point with VR where I only want one thing from Sony in the immediate future. It's one of the few things that pisses me off about PSVR, and Sony knows it's an issue but wanted to save costs by repurposing tech.

Before Sony comes out with any kind of new camera system or PSVR 2 or firmware updates or ANYTHING,
they need to stop screwing around and re-release the damn MOVE controllers with the analog integrated.

That developers should have to do freaking coding gymnastics to figure out decent basic locomotion on PSVR is insane. That you should have to CHOOSE between the MOVE controllers or the dual shock 4 irritates me.

It was a shitty design decision from the inception on PS3. Vive and Oculus both figured out that you have to have that analog stick/approximation designed on the wand, and C'mon Sony, you knew it too. You just wanted to use all of that old MOVE tech sitting around that nobody purchased initially.

You know that you need a better camera. You don't need PSVR 2, just a better camera and the ability to add and additional camera - but that might be a technical challenge that's easier said than done.

The MOVE CONTROLLERS WITH ANALOG MOVEMENT ADDED is not. Charge us whatever, Sony, but really? Sorry, just ranting.

The controller options irritate the fuck out of me at the moment. The Move isn't fit for purpose and neither is the DS4. Move feels like old tech integrated but not fully thought out (you can't navigate properly with them) and the DS4 whilst it works for the most part doesn't work for everything. You should have one set of controllers that do everything, after playing a few games you quickly realise this is a massive flaw and I feel will hold the system back in the long run. The reason I didn't buy the moves even though I really want to play Batman properly is because they are going to have to do a hardware revision if they are serious about VR, there are too many games on the rift and vive that require motion controls that also have locomotion options and this limits the chance of ports.

I don't see Sony bring out an IR camera or something similar this gen but they can't use the same tech next time around for tracking. For the price point it is adequate. I'd like to see how adding another camera would improve the experience though. Even though I'm not experiencing problems with the tech many are and that is a problem, ideally they address it sooner rather than later.

I didn't realize that I already owned the perfect VR chair. I tried this out this morning and put it through it's paces in RIGS and was dominating. Since it is a 360 degree completely flexible stool, it supports you while allowing you to easily look in all directions.

I bought this for my studio to work at my easel during long work sessions but am now going to put it into full time use as my PSVR chair. So freaking excited!!

image_zpsz7rwo0w0.jpeg

Muvman? Used to own one. Dat German engineering. Pricey though.

bumpkin

I need a new VR game. Anyone have Tumble, Bound, Sports Bar VR, Robinson, or Keep talking and nobody explodes?
I have Robinson and found it to be quite enjoyable, though not without its shortcomings, and it seems like a lot of people get queasy playing it. I was fine the entire time.

Also, it's $20 less if you get a physical copy for some inexplicable reason.

DerekNYC

I need a new VR game. Anyone have Tumble, Bound, Sports Bar VR, Robinson, or Keep talking and nobody explodes?

Keep Talking is a great 2 player/party game, but impossible to play solo (I think). My girlfriend and I love it, though it has started some screaming matches haha. All in good fun.

Just played London Heist for the first time with the fiancé and some friends and besides some awful tracking issues near the end, what an incredible experience. The cigar bit was fucking ingenious. VR still hasn't lost it's impact for me.

tr00per

The controller options irritate the fuck out of me at the moment. The Move isn't fit for purpose and neither is the DS4. Move feels like old tech integrated but not fully thought out (you can't navigate properly with them) and the DS4 whilst it works for the most part doesn't work for everything. You should have one set of controllers that do everything, after playing a few games you quickly realise this is a massive flaw and I feel will hold the system back in the long run. The reason I didn't buy the moves even though I really want to play Batman properly is because they are going to have to do a hardware revision if they are serious about VR, there are too many games on the rift and vive that require motion controls that also have locomotion options and this limits the chance of ports.

I for one am hoping they do something with their split controller patent for psvr 2 / ps5

ckohler

Robinson is a graphical marvel but it's a puzzler. Expect to take it slow doing menail tasks. Tumble is fantastic. Tons of content for the price. Probably the best value on PSVR. Sports Bar is cool if you have a friend. The pool is good but the other games are meh.

Skrams

I've had PS VR for about a week now and only own PS Worlds and Tumble currently I think. I might own something else with VR support but I don't remember it obviously. Mostly been fucking around with Tumble as it's a fucking crazy great game for $10. I bought it as my major test game besides PS Worlds. It looked good and it was only $10. Pleasantly surprised how much better it is than I thought. A lot of content. A lot of creativity. A lot of block stacking fun.

Only problem seems to be my setup I guess. I really don't understand how my setup is supposed to be so I don't accidentally move my hand in front of the helmet like I constantly do. This is a problem for PS Worlds with stuff like London Heist where I want to look down the iron sight only for my fucking head to die because it lost sight of me. My camera is currently below my TV so I'm not sure if that's the problem or not.

It gets annoying in Tumble too because I want to be precise as fuck, but that's hard to do with the camera fucking up a lot.

I also might have to get 6 feet away instead of 4ish?

PrinceKee

I have Robinson and found it to be quite enjoyable, though not without its shortcomings, and it seems like a lot of people get queasy playing it. I was fine the entire time.

Also, it's $20 less if you get a physical copy for some inexplicable reason.

Keep Talking is a great 2 player/party game, but impossible to play solo (I think). My girlfriend and I love it, though it has started some screaming matches haha. All in good fun.

Robinson is a graphical marvel but it's a puzzler. Expect to take it slow doing menail tasks. Tumble is fantastic. Tons of content for the price. Probably the best value on PSVR. Sports Bar is cool if you have a friend. The pool is good but the other games are meh.

Thanks guys. Robinson looks good but, I really don't have a clue what the game is about watching videos. I wanted keep talking to play for thanksgiving with family and friends. I loved the tumble demo but, didn't know how much content was there and I'm good and puzzles even though it's only $10. There's a couple other lesser known VR games on the PlayStation store I'm curious about also...

Maligna

Banned
Okay, these PSVR on PS Pro issues are getting ridiculous. My original PS4 worked perfectly, but I was showing VR to someone tonight and my Pro had the following issues.

#1 - Sound cut out of headphones. Wouldn't come back. Had to restart system.
#2 - Video cut to black intermittently.
#3 - Social screen started messing up. It was like massive screen tearing all over. Could barely see the game. In the HMD it still looked okay, but people watching had a bad time.
#4 - Frame rate dropped to about 5 fps. Game started going in slow motion. Had to restart console.
#5 - After restarting console, view of game world within HMD was tilted 45 degrees. No amount of re calibrating would fix it. Required 2 more restarts.

This is ridiculous. The PS PRO makes the games look way better when it's actually working, but besides that this feels anything BUT a premium console.

I want my old PS4 back...

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Wow, I just wasted money on Eagle Flight. What a boring game. And the immersion is not there at all. The fact that you see part of the body and the blackened edges ruin all immersion.

Terrible game.
Man, I totally disagree! I feel like that game is awesome and the sense of speed and flying is great! I do think it should have been 20-30$ though.

I bought Rez and I honestly cannot believe I paid 30$ for that. It's ok but it should be like 15$.

Okay, these PSVR on PS Pro issues are getting ridiculous. My original PS4 worked perfectly, but I was showing VR to someone tonight and my Pro had the following issues.

#3 - Social screen started messing up. It was like massive screen tearing all over. Could barely see the game. In the HMD it still looked okay, but people watching had a bad time.
#4 - Frame rate dropped to about 5 fps. Game started going in slow motion. Had to restart console.
#5 - After restarting console, view of game world within HMD was tilted 45 degrees. No amount of re calibrating would fix it. Required 2 more restarts.

This is ridiculous. The PS PRO makes the games look way better when it's actually working, but besides that this feels anything BUT a premium console.

did you do the HDMI 1.4 thing to fix the handshake issue. So, you're saying Game went to 5fps? What game?

i had some issues but nothing like what you described.

Man, I totally disagree! I feel like that game is awesome and the sense of speed and flying is great! I do think it should have been 20-30$ though.

I bought Rez and I honestly cannot believe I paid 30$ for that. It's ok but it should be like 15$.

that's crazy. Rez is the besssssttt!!!

None of this sounds normal at all. Try the HDCP 1.4 switch as detailed a few times ITT. Failing that, contact Sony or get a replacement from your retailer.

somme

Thanks guys. Robinson looks good but, I really don't have a clue what the game is about watching videos. I wanted keep talking to play for thanksgiving with family and friends. I loved the tumble demo but, didn't know how much content was there and I'm good and puzzles even though it's only $10. There's a couple other lesser known VR games on the PlayStation store I'm curious about also...

Robinson is great and if you can pick it up for cheap definitely do - it's not worth the £55 they're charging on the PSN store. Review here that might help explain more to you: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/14/robinson-the-journey/

Keep Talking is a great multiplayer experience. Reminds of the great N64 local co-op days. https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/15/keep-talking-and-nobody-explodes/

What were the other games you're curious about?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Tumble is great value for $10 and will keep you busy for a while.

R0n1n

Neo Member
So I just picked up one of these bad boys on my lunch break today after seeing some Eve-Valkyrie. It looked amazing (Haven't actually tried it yet, mind), and almost exactly what I imagined a VR experience in space would be like albeit something more tangible and actually available right now!

I also got the PsPro earlier this week. Is there anything important I should know in advance regarding these two? I am aware the processing unit does not pass-through HDR, so there would be some cable-switching involved(I'm not prepared to get a switcher, this just seems like a giant headache). Aside from this is there something else?

I can't wait to get home and try it out, the lasts time I was this excited for something it was 1999 and I'd just gotten Mk3 on the Genesis.

any news on black friday discounts for some games? specifically, i was hoping to get eve valkyrie for cheap.

In North America there haven't been any deals for PSVR or PSVR games in all the leaked flyers and they've all leaked now.

Your best bet is to find cheap PSN currency cards on sale and buy using that for a discount. PSN is likely to do a Flash Sale for Black Friday so there is still hope. Both these options are digital only however.

Given the games are only a monthish old and there's not much competition for PSVR games for sales compared to the many regular PS4 titles there isn't as much of a prerogative to put them on sale. Some PSVR games launched with a decent launch sale price but many have yet to see any discount digitally or at retail.

Grinchy

Banned
Man, it's been fun watching my family get blown away by VR. But I now feel for the reps that were demoing this thing to non gamers at the stores. I spent like a 12 hour period doing VR troubleshooting and explaining to non gaming family members and friends and it was so frustrating.

They'd do the calibration and then move to another chair and wonder why it wouldn't work, they don't know what the buttons are, ect. I never want to do this again lol. But they all loved it.

Shoeless

I found if I called Laika to me and picked up the football she had when you first found her, she would almost always focus on it and bring it back if I threw it.

Thanks bumpkin, that did the trick. Add me to the tiny percentage of people with a platinum trophy.

I'm probably going to keep this game installed as a demo piece for people that come over to see what VR is about. Now that the maps are unlocked, it's easy to just warp over to the most interesting areas where there are sauropods or pterosaurs and just let them boggle.

bumpkin

Thanks bumpkin, that did the trick. Add me to the tiny percentage of people with a platinum trophy.

I'm probably going to keep this game installed as a demo piece for people that come over to see what VR is about. Now that the maps are unlocked, it's easy to just warp over to the most interesting areas where there are sauropods or pterosaurs and just let them boggle.
No problem, happy to help! :)

It's hard to explain without giving away too much, but basically, you're playing as this character whose ship crash landed on an alien planet and you are searching for other survivors from your crew. It just so happens that the planet you land on is very similar in flora and fauna to prehistoric earth with dinosaurs, giant insects, small mammals, and so on. You are armed with a wand-like piece of electronics that allows you to lift and manipulate things in the environment, as well as scan things to learn more about them (think Metroid Prime).

You can't jump, so all of the vertical traversal is done via climbing that is very rock-wall in nature. You have a small dinosaur companion who can help you in subtle ways, as well as a floating spherical robot (think Wheatley from Portal 2) that aids in solving small puzzles. None of the puzzles are very complex and typically involve restoring power to devices in the environment or moving junk around to reach the next area.

Honestly, Robinson's strengths lie in its graphics (possibly the most detailed PSVR game), its immersive environments, and its undeniable sense of scale (you truly feel *tiny* when you see big dinosaurs). I always go back to citing that if you were a dinosaur nut as a kid, this game will blow you away at times. Although I have said that and had other GAF'ers say they were dinosaurs fans too and it didn't wow them, so take that with a grain of salt I guess.

FWIW, I finished the story and took the time to get every trophy afterwards. If I had rushed through the game, I think I would have finished it in around three hours. All told, I probably logged 5-6 hours.

Man, it's been fun watching my family get blown away by VR. But I now feel for the reps that were demoing this thing to non gamers at the stores. I spent like a 12 hour period doing VR troubleshooting and explaining to non gaming family members and friends and it was so frustrating.

They'd do the calibration and then move to another chair and wonder why it wouldn't work, they don't know what the buttons are, ect. I never want to do this again lol. But they all loved it.

I have a bunch of family coming later today that want to try it, wish me luck, I already had a non gamer friend try It and it was a nightmare, he was twisting non stop and getting the cable wrapped around him like a snake.

ckohler

I have a bunch of family coming later today that want to try it, wish me luck, I already had a non gamer friend try It and it was a nightmare, he was twisting non stop and getting the cable wrapped around him like a snake.

I demoed it for my non-gaming bother and I made him sit on a folding chair. That prevented him from loosing tracking. Oceans Decent works well since it's passive. Playroom is also good for newbies.

I really enjoyed the Harmonix VR demo, so I went ahead and picked it up! That dancing model thing sold me, I found it so cool haha.

Edit: Unrelated question, for those that have tried BattleZone on base PS4 vs. Pro, are the stated upgrades noticeable? I enjoyed the demo but am curious how upgraded the visuals are on the Pro. If it's substantial, I might go ahead and pick up BattleZone on my Pro.

doby

It's the headphone cable that's a nightmare for me, especially passing the headset round it gets so tangled, even if I'm just using it myself it becomes a mess. I'm looking into wireless solutions, I think I'm going to wire in the Pulse elite dongle into the headset itself as its a very compact radio transmitter with stereo input. Ruled out a Bluetooth transmitter because the lag is unacceptable, even when using the aptx low latency codec (and few headphones on the market actually support it anyway).

somme

I really enjoyed the Harmonix VR demo, so I went ahead and picked it up! That dancing model thing sold me, I found it so cool haha.

I loved The Trip. I know you don't do anything. But seeing the songs I know and love analysed and made visual... I think that may be how I first "listen" to new albums now. :D

I demoed it for my non-gaming bother and I made him sit on a folding chair. That prevented him from loosing tracking. Oceans Decent works well since it's passive. Playroom is also good for newbies.

This is a great idea, standing vr for people that don't understand the limitations is a bad idea.

It's the headphone cable that's a nightmare for me, especially passing the headset round it gets so tangled, even if I'm just using it myself it becomes a mess. I'm looking into wireless solutions, I think I'm going to wire in the Pulse elite dongle into the headset itself as its a very compact radio transmitter with stereo input. Ruled out a Bluetooth transmitter because the lag is unacceptable, even when using the aptx low latency codec (and few headphones on the market actually support it anyway).

As in, you are gonna mod the actual cable to incorporate the headphones?

doby

As in, you are gonna mod the actual cable to incorporate the headphones?

No, I'm going to wire up the radio transmitter logic board alongside the headsets logic board (in the headset). It will require micro soldering skills so I'm not suggesting anyone can do it, but in theory it should work a treat.

Harmonix made it pretty clear that the Game will Never get another Feature update. And even with its half baked feature set, its easily the most immersive and Impressive experience I had so far.

Well, then I'm waiting for it to get cheap. I'm actually philosophically opposed to the lack of Spotify support.

valeu

finally....got mine today. i was shocked assembling it, with all the wires. tried rez first and i was screaming out loud as i played: " i'm in the motherfucking matrix! this is amazing!" waiting for my move controllers to charge

TheMan

I went ahead and bought windlands, despite the warnings about nausea. The game just looked like the platformer I always wanted for VR.

Well, it made me sicker than almost any other game so far. I didn't throw up, but I felt almost as sick as when I used to get chemo back in the day. Luckily, the feeling passed relatively quickly, but damn. That initial sense of wonder turned to frustration pretty quickly.

Kalentan

Tried to play World War Toons. Seemed interesting but sadly it appears that little to no people play the game. At least on the VR side.

I had some frame rate problems with O! My Genesis VR in regular ps4.

Νot something annoying but I expected this simple game to be above 60fps. Instead, I experience some deeps below 60fps Ι think.

bumpkin

Just picked up a Pro on Amazon, what should I expect? Will it look better? Be smoother?
If the posts I've seen since its release are any indication, expect a lot of issues (sound cutting out, screen going blank randomly). Although I guess when it is working properly, several games like PSVR Worlds and Playroom VR do get significant improvement.

ElNino

Just picked up a Pro on Amazon, what should I expect? Will it look better? Be smoother?
If the posts I've seen since its release are any indication, expect a lot of issues (sound cutting out, screen going blank randomly). Although I guess when it is working properly, several games like PSVR Worlds and Playroom VR do get significant improvement.
This has been my experience. Games seem to run a bit better, but it has also been accompanied by intermittent audio and video drop outs. I've done the HDCP 1.4 change in safe mode and while I thought it had fixed it, I noticed the problem again today playing Batman with my son.

Shoeless

It's really odd, I switched over to a Pro on the day the new console launched, but I haven't had any major technical problems. I'd mostly been playing Robinson: The Journey and Rez, with a little bit of Batman and some of the demos just for testing, and no audio or video drop outs.

On the other hand, the graphical upgrades are pretty significant. Bound already looked good before, but it's super sharp now. And Robinson is a big upgrade visually. Same for Area X in Rez.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Edit: Unrelated question, for those that have tried BattleZone on base PS4 vs. Pro, are the stated upgrades noticeable? I enjoyed the demo but am curious how upgraded the visuals are on the Pro. If it's substantial, I might go ahead and pick up BattleZone on my Pro.

The upgrade is huge. Ignore the Youtube comparison videos. They're using the demo, which doesn't have Pro support, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom