• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone seen any news about War Thunder on PSVR? I read a while back that Gaijin Games had the game running on PSVR (still named Morpheus at the time) but Sony were worried about showing the more intense games early on, how true that is I have no idea.

ymgve

I hope Sony makes a VR-optimized camera - where the two lenses are 1m or more away from each other, to get more precise tracking.

Are the accelerometers in the Dualshock/Move controllers used at all? It seems like using the data from them to correct the data from the camera would significantly improve tracking.

Theonik

I hope Sony makes a VR-optimized camera - where the two lenses are 1m or more away from each other, to get more precise tracking.

Are the accelerometers in the Dualshock/Move controllers used at all? It seems like using the data from them to correct the data from the camera would significantly improve tracking.
The IMU data for the DS4, Move, and the headset are all used as part of the tracking solution for dead reckoning and general tracking. Tracking has been flawless for me so far, but I have an optimised playspace for that setup.

Shoeless

If you've already
gotten Laika to see-saw on the Farm
, you've completed the most difficult and buggy action in the game that you need to complete to get platinum. lol.

Thanks. I'd already managed to get that one done by accident, while messing around early in the game, so it's a done deal.

Last for me one is the "fetch" command. Games seems picky about what it's deciding to interpret as a proper fetch since tossing stuff with the telekinesis wand and telling Laika to bring it back doesn't seem to be doing it.

panda-zebra

Internets been down for days, missed this thread and annoyed my new Pro wasn't set to primary as it left me without access to my massive downloaded games library. D'oh!

My biggest complaint is not having an option for controlling flight with the Dual Shock 4. I've always had weird issues with my neck, so having to tilt to aggressively or very far to one side (for tight turns) got to be uncomfortable and gave me a headache. I also would have liked to have some sort of mini-map or something to aid in tracking down collectibles. Having to rely completely on line-of-sight is a little annoying.

Turn tilt sensitivity up to 10 - makes everything from simple normal flight to the hardest challenges much easier.

PSVR games for next week

Gary the Gull

PS VR — Digital

Sounds terrible! If it's cheap simply have to buy because it's something different.

But can I fap to it

Hidden trophies are the best trophies.

I dunno, they're no further apart than my eyes and I have no difficulties tracking objects before me ;-)

Shoeless

Happy to be unbanned after a month and be back in the VR thread!

Also..another endorsement. PS4 PRO makes a HUGE difference. Glad I gave in and bought one.

It's too bad Here They Lie is probably not going to get a Pro patch. That's another game, like Robinson, that would get some pretty big gains from taking advantage the extra power.

How's Eagle Flight? Something with a sense of Flight and turns your stomach sounds perfect for me, just need to know how it turned out. Any impressions?

panda-zebra

How's Eagle Flight? Something with a sense of Flight and turns your stomach sounds perfect for me, just need to know how it turned out. Any impressions?

Plenty if you search the thread. Although you'll find it lacking in stomach-churning qualities, it's easily got the highest thrills to lowest simulation sickness ratio on PSVR so far. Everyone should buy this one.

The Chef

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, and Rez. Both have reviewed pretty well and gotten positive reception from GAFfers. I own and love both.

Cool.
I tried this one game on Vive where you are shooting at waves of flying bots. You could use a shield and stuff and it was very cool. Kinda more fun than serious like Rush of Blood.
Anything like that? I'll definitely check Rez out.

doby

Dreams is coming out next year. Once that is out it's the only art creation tool you'll need. And it's in VR.

Has this been confirmed? I haven't heard anything about Dreams for ages. At the end of last year they said they were announcing beta details at the start of this year and yet no announcement came.

I can honestly see it getting a release date of fall 2017 and then probably getting delayed to spring 2018, but if that means a fully realised VR experience then I'll take it!

Shoeless

Has this been confirmed? I haven't heard anything about Dreams for ages. At the end of last year they said they were announcing beta details at the start of this year and yet no announcement came.

I can honestly see it getting a release date of fall 2017 and then probably getting delayed to spring 2018, but if that means a fully realised VR experience then I'll take it!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you, I've been tracking the progress--or distinct lack thereof--with this game. Maybe there will be more info at the PSX event in Anaheim that's coming up. The Harmonix easel really blew me away, so I'd love to use a dedicated sculpting program to see what can be really done.

Cool.
I tried this one game on Vive where you are shooting at waves of flying bots. You could use a shield and stuff and it was very cool. Kinda more fun than serious like Rush of Blood.
Anything like that? I'll definitely check Rez out.

Sounds like space pirate trainer, the closest PSVR has to that is probably pixel gear - it's fun but a bit more limited as your fixed in position. Still the accuracy is great and it's cheap.

The Chef

Pixel Gear it is! Thanks guys!
However I can't find a demo for it. Is there one?

I just bought Job Simulator. Haha this is the best game.
Thinking of getting PS Worlds and maybe Arkham

somme

Beta starts Q1 2017. And yes it's confirmed.

somme

Pixel Gear it is! Thanks guys!
However I can't find a demo for it. Is there one?

I'm not sure if there is a Pixel Gear demo, but it's really cheap - and there's a free multiplayer mode for up to 5 local players (1 VR, 4 DS4) coming next week/week after.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Tried Jackal Assault, Trackmania VR and Kismet today.

Kismet was ... alright, but it doesnt offer much, even considering the boardgame they packed in. I liked the visuals in that area, but its the first VR game I have deleted after going through it, as I dont think its particularly worth showing off to others.

Jackal Assault was interestingly enough a lot more engaging than EVE was. Might just be me, but I liked the controls quite a bit better, especially the head targetting for missiles, while you were free to shoot ahead. Unfortunately its only short, but will keep this as space flight showcase instead of the EVE demo.

I already owned Trackmania, so a free VR update is pretty neat in my book. This game made me a bit queasy with some of the looping levels, but it has a tremendous sense of immersion. Quite a few of the levels have you going up/down ramps or making huge jumps and it really works incredibly well. There are only 40 shorter VR levels, but its definitely recommended to grab. Replaying for the highest (green) medals will give you plenty of challenge/replayability too.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The thing I didn't like about Bound in VR is the way the camera works.

I agree its a bit weird, but it also makes it a super safe comfortable camera mode, so that basically anyone can experience it. The mix of that camera mode and the graphics lead to me choosing it as the first VR game to show to people, while I walk around with the character in front of their camera. Works really well.

I didn't realize that I already owned the perfect VR chair. I tried this out this morning and put it through it's paces in RIGS and was dominating. Since it is a 360 degree completely flexible stool, it supports you while allowing you to easily look in all directions.

I bought this for my studio to work at my easel during long work sessions but am now going to put it into full time use as my PSVR chair. So freaking excited!!

image_zpsz7rwo0w0.jpeg

I didn't realize that I already owned the perfect VR chair. I tried this out this morning and put it through it's paces in RIGS and was dominating. Since it is a 360 degree completely flexible stool, it supports you while allowing you to easily look in all directions.

I bought this for my studio to work at my easel during long work sessions but am now going to put it into full time use as my PSVR chair. So freaking excited!!

image_zpsz7rwo0w0.jpeg

Pretty cool that it you can lean forward and stuff but it looks like you are sitting on a cake stand. Nice high back chair on a swivel is how I go.

Pretty cool that it you can lean forward and stuff but it looks like you are sitting on a cake stand. Nice high back chair on a swivel is how I go.

LOL I honestly love how it looks. I swear by it for work purposes - swivel chair is completely fine but this allows natural full upper body motion to twist, turn and look around. I did a lot of research before investing in it and it's not for everyone for sure. Pretty happy that it's now going to be doing double duty!

http://www.workwhilewalking.com/aeris-muvman-leaning-stool-review#gsc.tab=0

LOL I honestly love how it looks. I swear by it for work purposes - swivel chair is completely fine but this allows natural full upper body motion to twist, turn and look around. I did a lot of research before investing in it and it's not for everyone for sure. Pretty happy that it's now going to be doing double duty!

http://www.workwhilewalking.com/aeris-muvman-leaning-stool-review#gsc.tab=0

Definitely like the way you can move around on this thing and I assume the height adjustment is pretty wide so that you can basically just slip right onto it without actually "sitting". I just need to lean back to offset the weight of my giant gut!

-EDIT-
Also..WHOA 600 bucks!

orioto

Good Art™
SO i tried that second vr video app they got on the psn, what's its name i don't remember.

Anyway there are lots of things there, kinda random, but at least some 3D 360° vids, at least.

But the app is all buggy. It crashed on my many times and especially the vids are always badly oriented. The hub is right, but the vids always starts with the front on my left..

That Shark vid was way scarier than the ocean deep thing by the way.

Definitely like the way you can move around on this thing and I assume the height adjustment is pretty wide so that you can basically just slip right onto it without actually "sitting". I just need to lean back to offset the weight of my giant gut!

-EDIT-
Also..WHOA 600 bucks!

Yeah, it comes in 2 different heights and fully extends for standing. It's pricey for sure but is built like a tank. I've had mine for a good long while and it still looks and operates like new.

So I've reached a point with VR where I only want one thing from Sony in the immediate future. It's one of the few things that pisses me off about PSVR, and Sony knows it's an issue but wanted to save costs by repurposing tech.

Before Sony comes out with any kind of new camera system or PSVR 2 or firmware updates or ANYTHING,
they need to stop screwing around and re-release the damn MOVE controllers with the analog integrated.

That developers should have to do freaking coding gymnastics to figure out decent basic locomotion on PSVR is insane. That you should have to CHOOSE between the MOVE controllers or the dual shock 4 irritates me.

It was a shitty design decision from the inception on PS3. Vive and Oculus both figured out that you have to have that analog stick/approximation designed on the wand, and C'mon Sony, you knew it too. You just wanted to use all of that old MOVE tech sitting around that nobody purchased initially.

You know that you need a better camera. You don't need PSVR 2, just a better camera and the ability to add and additional camera - but that might be a technical challenge that's easier said than done.

The MOVE CONTROLLERS WITH ANALOG MOVEMENT ADDED is not. Charge us whatever, Sony, but really? Sorry, just ranting.

panda-zebra

image_zpsz7rwo0w0.jpeg

Been looking at something very similar myself, glad to read this as it makes my purchase a safer one.

Even the DS4? No matter what game and what distance I sit from the screen, it always pulsates back and forth, like the depth tracking is broken.

Oh no, I have that, as I think everyone does to some degree. I believe it can be done away with in software - either a fix to Sony's libraries or some level of smoothing by the game devs.

Been looking at something very similar myself, glad to read this as it makes my purchase a safer one.
Definitely make sure you try out a demo model. If my partner hadn't bought one, I wouldn't have had any interest but as soon as I sat on it I knew I had to have one. Some people that I've had over who have tried it have found it kind of disorienting and weird as you have pretty much complete freedom of movement while being supported. You have to get used to it.

silentbum

Neo Member
I haven't been following PSVR releases since launch, but I've been kept afloat by Rez, Thumper, Batman, and SuperHyperCube. Are there any new games that people are really digging?

bumpkin

Thanks. I'd already managed to get that one done by accident, while messing around early in the game, so it's a done deal.

Last for me one is the "fetch" command. Games seems picky about what it's deciding to interpret as a proper fetch since tossing stuff with the telekinesis wand and telling Laika to bring it back doesn't seem to be doing it.
I found if I called Laika to me and picked up the football she had when you first found her, she would almost always focus on it and bring it back if I threw it.

Kalentan

I forgot about Brookhaven actually. I need to get it but I'm still recovering from Rush of Blood. VR has made 2D horror games much less scary, which is both a good and a bad thing.

Also, does Brookhaven require you to turn around and shoot? Does the tracking work okay?

Oh I forgot if this was answered! Sorry for not responding. Yes, you do turn around by pressing O on the left handed controller (assuming your gun is on the right and the flashlight/knife on the left.) It works very well.

So I finally got round to finishing thumper, doing levels 7-9 today.

Holy shit! Those were some crazy levels, felt so fast paced and manic. Loved it though and especially loved the escalation of the boss' final forms.

btrboyev

So I've reached a point with VR where I only want one thing from Sony in the immediate future. It's one of the few things that pisses me off about PSVR, and Sony knows it's an issue but wanted to save costs by repurposing tech.

Before Sony comes out with any kind of new camera system or PSVR 2 or firmware updates or ANYTHING,
they need to stop screwing around and re-release the damn MOVE controllers with the analog integrated.

That developers should have to do freaking coding gymnastics to figure out decent basic locomotion on PSVR is insane. That you should have to CHOOSE between the MOVE controllers or the dual shock 4 irritates me.

It was a shitty design decision from the inception on PS3. Vive and Oculus both figured out that you have to have that analog stick/approximation designed on the wand, and C'mon Sony, you knew it too. You just wanted to use all of that old MOVE tech sitting around that nobody purchased initially.

You know that you need a better camera. You don't need PSVR 2, just a better camera and the ability to add and additional camera - but that might be a technical challenge that's easier said than done.

The MOVE CONTROLLERS WITH ANALOG MOVEMENT ADDED is not. Charge us whatever, Sony, but really? Sorry, just ranting.

They definitely should have a released a new, better camera. I can live with the move drawbacks. They need a better camera that has a much wider and taller field of view and a better resolution.

Theonik

They definitely should have a released a new, better camera. I can live with the move drawbacks. They need a better camera that has a much wider and taller field of view and a better resolution.
Resolution isn't really an issue, and the problem is it increases the processing cost so it's not a clear cut solution. Greater FOV would help though, but Sony recommends only limited movement and I've found their solution works great in those boundaries.

somme

Oh I forgot if this was answered! Sorry for not responding. Yes, you do turn around by pressing O on the left handed controller (assuming your gun is on the right and the flashlight/knife on the left.) It works very well.

Cheers - I've added it to my list!

I feel PSVR was designed out of price point. I think it is ultimately a trial run. Sony isn't dumb, they know what can make VR better in terms of tracking and immersion but felt slightly unsure of the market so they went with a safe bet for R&D to minimize cost and sold at a profit to prevent major losses.

I feel PSVR2 will be proper with new camera(s) and new, dedicated controllers. About the only thing standing in the way of ensuring that successor is games. VR is new and many games will fumble out of the gate. I also see price point for games being a huge issue as some right now feel like they are hitching a ride on the bandwagon while the iron is still hot, as some experiences aren't worth the price of admission. That's a failed approach by publishers and developers and won't do VR any favors. If they want VR to succeed they need to be realistic with pricing.

doby

I think you're in the minority. There would be far more disgruntled customers had they just stuck an analogue stick onto Move tech and made the millions of Moves already out there obsolete. Sony have been in debt to Move owners since it's release and I for one am glad I'm finally getting my moneys worth.

Had Sony not been so reactive to the market with the Move (Wii) and PS4 Camera (Kinect) then we absolutely would have far more robust controllers and tracking for the first generation of PSVR. Although I suppose you could also argue that Sony wouldn't have even got into VR so early without the Move tech.

I think you're in the minority. There would be far more disgruntled customers had they just stuck an analogue stick onto Move tech and made the millions of Moves already out there obsolete. Sony have been in debt to Move owners since it's release and I for one am glad I'm finally getting my moneys worth.

Had Sony not been so reactive to the market with the Move (Wii) and PS4 Camera (Kinect) then we absolutely would have far more robust controllers and tracking for the first generation of PSVR. Although I suppose you could also argue that Sony wouldn't have even got into VR so early without the Move tech.

I would definitely buy Move with an analog stick, and I just bought Move as the part of Launch Bundle. Just call it Move Pro. ; ) DualShock works great for cockpit VR games, but I strongly prefer Move controllers for non cockpit VR games. Unfortunately, the lack of the analog stick makes Move less than ideal for many first person view games with free movement. Loading Human is the only game that I can think of with Move and free motion. The controls work in that game but the analog stick would be much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom