• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have heard it is more of an experience than a game.

I have also heard yesterday a company is developing some generic vr sports titles for vive,rift,psvr

Impressions for Pixel Gear?

I just got my $10 bucks for buying the PS4pro (?) I just have enough money of PG so tempted to get it. Kinda want Harmonix Music though...

thoughts?

finally....got mine today. i was shocked assembling it, with all the wires. tried rez first and i was screaming out loud as i played: " i'm in the motherfucking matrix! this is amazing!" waiting for my move controllers to charge

hahah. yes, REZ is amazing - especially when you've played it before. It's a dope. As a long time fan. just wow. Wait til you get til Area X.

jon_dojah

Banned

I just got my $10 bucks for buying the PS4pro (?) I just have enough money of PG so tempted to get it. Kinda want Harmonix Music though...

thoughts?

hahah. yes, REZ is amazing - especially when you've played it before. It's a dope. As a long time fan. just wow. Wait til you get til Area X.

Had a big family gathering tonight for early Thanksgiving. Harmonix Music VR was the most played with Pixel Gear at a close second. The other 8 games didnt get much love: Batman, Until Dawn, Driveclub, Thumper, Tumble, etc.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

thoughts?

Harmonix VR gets my vote above alsmost any other VR experience. Best game to show off, spark some creativity and relax to.

panda-zebra

It's OK, and price is about right for what can be got from it.

I Kinda want Harmonix Music though...

Personally I feel what I paid for that and what the full version of the game offered over the demo don't sit right. The demo gives away too much of the whole title, the added features I'll never really bother with as all the game modes are all very limited and feel like the combined results of VR experimentation rather than a cohesive product brought through from a structured design brief.

If you like the demo and feel those few added features would help you keep coming back, then you know exactly what you're in for.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's OK, and price is about right for what can be got from it.

Personally I feel what I paid for that and what the full version of the game offered over the demo don't sit right. The demo gives away too much of the whole title, the added features I'll never really bother with as all the game modes are all very limited and feel like the combined results of VR experimentation rather than a cohesive product brought through from a structured design brief.

If you like the demo and feel those few added features would help you keep coming back, then you know exactly what you're in for.

Well the problem of the demo is that you cant play Easel mode on loop and with different songs.

But yeah, if someone likes the Easel mode of the demo and wished he could play more of that, its definitely worth the investment.

NBA2KVR experience is a thing

Check out the video
https://m.facebook.com/NBA2K/videos/10157781331465305/

Do we know if this is free, paid for or requires the main game? Has trophies but no plat so if free/cheap will deffo give it a go as looks like a small experience, like that big publishers are putting out vr games even if small add ons

Out this week according to the Drop

Gary the Gull
Holoball
Proton Pulse
VirZoom Arcade

panda-zebra

Well the problem of the demo is that you cant play Easel mode on loop and with different songs.

But yeah, if someone likes the Easel mode of the demo and wished he could play more of that, its definitely worth the investment.

That was the only mode I really enjoyed from the demo. But TBH it's just too limiting to be of anything other than novelty value, that's why the demo scratches enough of an itch for me and paying for those few added features isn't a good value proposition vs free demo.

If I could design my own tools and created objects could be deformed, transformed and edited in really interesting ways, then it'd become a truly creative environment and would be worth the investment over the demo. There's always Dreams... one day.

SOLDIER

Can someone recommend a good, sturdy hook/hanger that I can hang the PSVR headset off?

I want something like the Command Utilty hooks that can be attached to walls and shelves without having to use nails. I'd like to hang it on the side of my shelf.

Bluecondor

Tried to play World War Toons. Seemed interesting but sadly it appears that little to no people play the game. At least on the VR side.

I tried World War Toons twice and there just isn't much to it.

Since it is a free to play game, I had hoped that it would have a campaign mode along the lines of Zynga's Empires and Allies - which had a really in-depth single player campaign mode in which you had to build up your forces by playing through a very challenging set of missions and enemies, etc.

Now, to be fair, Empires and Allies is pretty much a straight rip-off of Advance Wars. But - it replicates the compelling rock, paper scissors gameplay of having to select your forces and deploy them against challenging sets of enemies.

From what I had seen on the trailers for World War Toons, I (wrongly) assumed that we would have to put together squads of soliders with pistols, soldiers with machine guns and soldiers with heavy artillery to do various missions in the game world (which seemed to have been set in a cartoon version of WWII Paris).

Instead, the entire game seems to be PVP and you only seem to be able to progress through your kill numbers on PVP.

I'm just not interested in a pure PVP game.

Is anyone else playing the Eagle Flight online? It's insanely addictive and clearly a standout of all the VR multiplayer experiences including RIGS and Eve Valkyrie. I could see this being a thing with multiple maps, modes and a progression system a la Splatoon someday with ranking and outfits.

NBA2KVR experience is a thing

Check out the video
https://m.facebook.com/NBA2K/videos/10157781331465305/

Oh boy..Taking the worst parts of the All Star Saturday and making a game out of it but hey, if it's 10 bucks I'll try it. If I have to own 2K17 then "not gonna be able to do it!".

-EDIT-
brb_using imagination_since_no_vr_controls_in_video.gif

I mean..what do you need to know? Seems like any VR game, you look at the menu option you want, click a button and you use the Move or Dualshock to pick up a ball and throw it.

Is anyone else playing the Eagle Flight online? It's insanely addictive and clearly a standout of all the VR multiplayer experiences including RIGS and Eve Valkyrie. I could see this being a thing with multiple maps, modes and a progression system a la Splatoon someday with ranking and outfits.

I played it the day it came out and wound up playing with the same 4 people over and over again. I thought it was a lot of fun. Only thing I want to know is how the mic in the headset works...is it always on? I was talking to my teammate and there was no response.
So many variables in that situation though.

Was I muted?
Was he muted?
Was he just not talking?
Could he hear me even?

I have to tinker with how the microphone works with the VR headset, Astro A40's w/ mic plugged in and the camera on. I never know if I can be heard.

*Splinter

I played it the day it came out and wound up playing with the same 4 people over and over again. I thought it was a lot of fun. Only thing I want to know is how the mic in the headset works...is it always on? I was talking to my teammate and there was no response.
So many variables in that situation though.

Was I muted?
Was he muted?
Was he just not talking?
Could he hear me even?

I have to tinker with how the microphone works with the VR headset, Astro A40's w/ mic plugged in and the camera on. I never know if I can be heard.
I'm pretty sure there is just no mic support in Eagle Flight. No idea why, but I've played quite a bit now and never heard a sound, compared to Rigs and Battlezone where you hear people more often than not (thanks to every headset having a built in mic which is unmuted by default).

Toma

That was the only mode I really enjoyed from the demo. But TBH it's just too limiting to be of anything other than novelty value, that's why the demo scratches enough of an itch for me and paying for those few added features isn't a good value proposition vs free demo.

If I could design my own tools and created objects could be deformed, transformed and edited in really interesting ways, then it'd become a truly creative environment and would be worth the investment over the demo. There's always Dreams... one day.

I definitely would want more features, but you can still express a lot of creativity with what is there. Its restricted sure, but it still is the best creative tool on the platform atm:
Alright, so after trying all available demos, I kinda made the weird call to make Harmonix VR my first VR purchase. There are several other games I am really interested in, but for now I would just like to focus on this, as I read some reviews before I bought it and most people are trashing it to hell and back.

The easel mode is genuinely awesome and the best VR feeling I have encountered so far. Its a 3D drawing application with the strokes reacting to the music. To get the bad out of the way: The rest of Harmonix VR is kinda... pointless, which is also the reason why most reviews turned out so incredibly negative. Most of the other stuff is actually pretty shitty, so I will likely never do much in those modes, but I came back to that 3D drawing again and again and again. Drawing around me feels so much more vivid in VR than any of the other VR experiences managed to be so far. Its still a bit janky and probably overpriced for what it is, but omg do I love this ... lets call it application instead of game.

This is making me want Dreams VR sooooo much. If you are a creative type and you like doodling around with different brushes and whatnot, definitely try the Harmonix VR demo. Unfortunately, you will need to finish the pointless first level first, but in the Easel mode, you can already check if this is something for you or not.

I made some screenshots to share, but keep in mind that its of course not even remotely as interesting to look at them as screenshots (and drawing them yourself is even better). I usually tend to load up my playlist with stuff from the USB stick and draw something that the first random song inspires me to.
Vxb4vbI.jpg
H2zqROR.jpg

g62D7DL.jpg
bjOBhey.jpg

2XJgoqK.jpg

I really wish Harmonix would continue to expand on this, as this is genuinely the only "game" so far that drags me out of reality into this little VR world that I interact with.

chippy13

I tried to get a match going yesterday morning but it just sat there for me. I think it was more due to my internet than anything. How long does it usually take to find a match?

cakefoo

I mean..what do you need to know? Seems like any VR game, you look at the menu option you want, click a button and you use the Move or Dualshock to pick up a ball and throw it.
To be fair, on a second viewing, I do see one motion control shot at the very end, and headtracking in the menu footage. But it still strikes me as odd that they used a mouse for the rest of the shooting gameplay. It's a terrible way to demo a VR game.

*Splinter

I tried to get a match going yesterday morning but it just sat there for me. I think it was more due to my internet than anything. How long does it usually take to find a match?
It can take 30 seconds plus but you will usually find at least one person. Full games are rare but do happen occasionally.

Experien

If the posts I've seen since its release are any indication, expect a lot of issues (sound cutting out, screen going blank randomly). Although I guess when it is working properly, several games like PSVR Worlds and Playroom VR do get significant improvement.

ugh! I mean I only really have two VR games so far, but I hope RIGS works fine.

NateDrake

Oh boy..Taking the worst parts of the All Star Saturday and making a game out of it but hey, if it's 10 bucks I'll try it. If I have to own 2K17 then "not gonna be able to do it!".

-EDIT-

NBA2KVR is $14.99.

Just picked up a Pro on Amazon, what should I expect? Will it look better? Be smoother?
Don't listen to the guy saying you can expect problems. I have a Pro and PSVR and they work amazing together. Yes, the screen has blipped black once for literally 1 second in my many hours using them together. Otherwise? You can expect significant image quality improvements in games that have Pro support, and also can look forward to most if not all games going forward having better graphics. In VR, visual enhancements like these are vital so the Pro and PSVR are a wonderful combination.

goonergaz

I definitely would want more features, but you can still express a lot of creativity with what is there. Its restricted sure, but it still is the best creative tool on the platform atm:

I thought it was a fun way to chill (Harmonix VR) - the easel mode tho really was my first wow moment in VR...I know it's only £12 but I have so many other games I want to buy and TBH I've hardly touched what I have...will definitely pick up in a sale.

ElNino

Don't listen to the guy saying you can expect problems. I have a Pro and PSVR and they work amazing together. Yes, the screen has blipped black once for literally 1 second in my many hours using them together. Otherwise? You can expect significant image quality improvements in games that have Pro support, and also can look forward to most if not all games going forward having better graphics. In VR, visual enhancements like these are vital so the Pro and PSVR are a wonderful combination.
Is this referring to me?

I don't think I was saying to expect problems, but there are issues to be aware of coming from the OG PS4 to the Pro... along with benefits. I agree that the benefits outweigh the issues, but it would be a disservice to not acknowledge them. I've generally been quite pleased with the PSVR, and I appreciate the visual upgrades from the Pro along with the rear USB port so it's one less connection to worry about every time I want to use the PSVR. However, the recurring audio drop outs that I experience are annoying and it's something I hope Sony addresses.

*Splinter

Is this referring to me?

I don't think I was saying to expect problems, but there are issues to be aware of coming from the OG PS4 to the Pro... along with benefits. I agree that the benefits outweigh the issues, but it would be a disservice to not acknowledge them. I've generally been quite pleased with the PSVR, and I appreciate the visual upgrades from the Pro along with the rear USB port so it's one less connection to worry about every time I want to use the PSVR. However, the recurring audio drop outs that I experience are annoying and it's something I hope Sony addresses.
Hold on, the Pro has three USB ports??

Pinball FX2 (i.e. Zen Pinball 2) coming to PSVR
We at Zen Studios are so excited to announce that Pinball FX2 VR is coming to PlayStation VR! The most immersive pinball experience around, Pinball FX2 VR and the Season One Expansion pack will both hit PlayStation Network on November 29 in North America.
To celebrate this launch, The Walking Dead pinball, the blockbuster collaboration between Zen, Telltale Games, and Robert Kirkman’s Skybound imprint, will be available in Pinball FX2 VR day and date! That’s a frighteningly huge launch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom