• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gitaroo

Did they announce it would be available as a stand-alone release? I thought it was just going to be free to Battlefront owners. If you're into Star Wars, Battlefront's worth the $15-20 it goes for nowadays. It's actually something like $8 digitally on PSN right now (through 11/28) and I thought I read somewhere that the physical game was going to be $10 somewhere on Black Friday.

yeah, I meant the game is 10 bucks on PSN right now, wonder if its worth getting just for the PS mission, from what I understand it is just 1 mission isn't it?

Getting my Pro on Saturday, not looking forward to swapping out my current 2TB drive and downloading my stuff again, will be mainly VR and Pro patched games to start with though.

Being fair I did consider that but with a 200Mb fibre connection I'm thinking that downloading might be quicker anyway.

Do exactly what you said. Re-download.

When I got my PRO I just went into the PSN store/VR section and downloaded everything I purchased. Did some PRO patched games after that.
Going forward if there is something I want to play, in time, I will just download on the PRO or go in the bedroom and use my old PS4 (which is now the backlog machine). No reason to re-download everything at once.

Someone wanted a review of Waddle Home? Well here it is: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/23/waddle-home/

Haven't been able to write many in the last couple of days. Had a lot of work on.

Seems EU/UK only got the Basketball VR game this week? NBA-something? Not really my thing.

How much is Gary the Gull going for in the US? Looks completely absurd but the trailer made me laugh. "Take a hike Gary!!" So if it's cheap might be a nice distraction.

It was me who wanted the review. I have never seen a review of that game, so I was curious if it is any good. Thanks for the review.

SJRB

Gold Member
Don't forget that the Pro supports 5g wifi, which is a HUGE deal if you have a 5g router at home. I'm downloading stuff at 7mb/s on PSN with the Pro, which is unprecedented considering the snail speed of the default PS4's wifi.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know what it is about Holoball, but I am just about done messing with it. I was able to get through the whole Medium campaign this time, but right on the last few scores, the headset tracking went back to being fucked.

It's like this every time. I boot it up and everything works fine until a certain point where the headset tracking just goes to shit. I have to restart the game every single time I attempt a campaign or else the entire world zig-zags while I move foward and backward.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't know what it is about Holoball, but I am just about done messing with it. I was able to get through the whole Medium campaign this time, but right on the last few scores, the headset tracking went back to being fucked.

It's like this every time. I boot it up and everything works fine until a certain point where the headset tracking just goes to shit. I have to restart the game every single time I attempt a campaign or else the entire world zig-zags while I move foward and backward.

Sucks to hear, I didnt have any issue when playing for an hour last night. :(

bumpkin

35.99 with gamers club
That's mighty tempting but now I'm just tempted to wait for a flash sale

Edit: appears to be the deal of the day. Guess I'll grab it then. Would rather have it digitally for $30 but I guess this is as good as its gonna get for a while.
Hmm... I tried demos of both, both were neat in their own way.

With RIGS, I didn't care for having no sense of what I was supposed to do. It just kind of dumps you into the game with all of these nuances you need to understand and the only guidance it gives you is something about overdrive and jumping through a goal.

Battlezone was cool, it gave me a TRON vibe just with more color. I made the mistake of reading reviews and there seemed to be a common complaint that the missions in SP get borderline unfair later on.

What say you, fellow PSVR'ers? If I were to pick up one, which should I get; RIGS or Battlezone?

but I read that it was lifeless and boring ITT. lol

Like most VR games on PSVR, I do think you have to do a little work in terms of getting yourself into it. You have to be willing to say--okay, this is a very simple thing, but it's in VR and it has a cool vibe. I think right now, you kind of have to meet VR games halfway.

Is the starwars vr mission going to worth the 10 bucks?

I think the other guy that replied to you above misunderstood your question.

We don't know how long it'll be, but journalists who demoed it said they played for 15+ minutes and didn't finish it. But who really knows...I was not impressed at all with Jackal Assault so hopefully Star Wars will at least be longer and more fun than that.

I think we'd all prefer a full Star Wars Rogue Squadron VR game, though.

Maligna

Banned
Okay, these PSVR on PS Pro issues are getting ridiculous. My original PS4 worked perfectly, but I was showing VR to someone tonight and my Pro had the following issues.

#1 - Sound cut out of headphones. Wouldn't come back. Had to restart system.
#2 - Video cut to black intermittently.
#3 - Social screen started messing up. It was like massive screen tearing all over. Could barely see the game. In the HMD it still looked okay, but people watching had a bad time.
#4 - Frame rate dropped to about 5 fps. Game started going in slow motion. Had to restart console.
#5 - After restarting console, view of game world within HMD was tilted 45 degrees. No amount of re calibrating would fix it. Required 2 more restarts.

This is ridiculous. The PS PRO makes the games look way better when it's actually working, but besides that this feels anything BUT a premium console.

I want my old PS4 back...

Quoting myself...

Okay I've switched my TV since then. These issues were all occurring on an LG television. I switched to my Samsung that was in the upstairs living room and I haven't had any issues since then. Is this a coincidence or is this whole thing just LG's fault?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Quoting myself...

Okay I've switched my TV since then. These issues were all occurring on an LG television. I switched to my Samsung that was in the upstairs living room and I haven't had any issues since then. Is this a coincidence or is this whole thing just LG's fault?

Just anecdotal, but no issues on my LG.

Any news on an EVE pro patch?

Zero news for several weeks.

The good news is that they are frequently updating the game, and the Vive version just released so now they can hopefully focus on the Pro patch.

I bought it but barely scratched the surface because I'd rather wait for the Pro patch. Game is already incredible so I can't wait for it to look even better!

Quoting myself...

HDCP looks at end of chain, which is your TV. If there is a handshake issue, HDCP will kick in on PS4 side causing black screen, flashes, audio issues, etc as the handshake tries to resolve.

This is why with an HDCP stripper in the post-pu chain the social screen does not reflect the issues present in the HMD. I use a splitter which strips HDCP for recording Game footage to a capture card directly and the other into my monitor since the capture card passthrough compresses the image for capture and displays that rather than the clean signal.

So, yes, a TV without HDCP issues should perform fine which is why some people have the issue with Pro and others don't. End of chain is the handshake to the PS4.

Just anecdotal, but no issues on my LG.
Won't know unless we compare model numbers.

Kyolux

Review for I expect you to die already out. Ahead of its release in 2 weeks.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-i-expect-you-to-die-399724.phtml

Like most VR games you won't technically move anywhere as the scene takes place in a centralized location (like the driver's seat of a car), but it absolutely does not feel like a tech demo.

/10.

No, as I just said there are tons of games released in Canada without a French localization.

I never said it was illegal. I said they may have held because of that. And most games do release with a French version.

HDCP looks at end of chain, which is your TV. If there is a handshake issue, HDCP will kick in on PS4 side causing black screen, flashes, audio issues, etc as the handshake tries to resolve.

This is why with an HDCP stripper in the post-pu chain the social screen does not reflect the issues present in the HMD. I use a splitter which strips HDCP for recording Game footage to a capture card directly and the other into my monitor since the capture card passthrough compresses the image for capture and displays that rather than the clean signal.

So, yes, a TV without HDCP issues should perform fine which is why some people have the issue with Pro and others don't. End of chain is the handshake to the PS4.

Won't know unless we compare model numbers.

Tried to do the 1.4 trick last night. The screen turned back and the PS4 eventually rebooted when I switched to 1.4. Could it be a wire not supporting 1.4?

Review for I expect you to die already out. Ahead of its release in 2 weeks.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-i-expect-you-to-die-399724.phtml

/10.

I never said it was illegal. I said they may have held because of that. And most games do release with a French version.

Tried to do the 1.4 trick last night. The screen turned back and the PS4 eventually rebooted when I switched to 1.4. Could it be a wire not supporting 1.4?
The console automatically reboots when you change the setting. If you used the Pro supplied cable and PSVR supplied cables you should be fine.

Kyolux

The console automatically reboots when you change the setting. If you used the Pro supplied cable and PSVR supplied cables you should be fine.

Nah, I'm using the cable I bought 9 years ago for my PS3 because of the length and overall build quality. But I guess if I still get issues I'll switch it to the Pro cable.

farisr

Probably dead. Damn it.

Edit: Yup, looks like they caught it. Switched to a vpn and it still said coming soon, refreshed it said 49.99. So yeah. It's dead.

*Splinter

Hmm... I tried demos of both, both were neat in their own way.

With RIGS, I didn't care for having no sense of what I was supposed to do. It just kind of dumps you into the game with all of these nuances you need to understand and the only guidance it gives you is something about overdrive and jumping through a goal.

Battlezone was cool, it gave me a TRON vibe just with more color. I made the mistake of reading reviews and there seemed to be a common complaint that the missions in SP get borderline unfair later on.

What say you, fellow PSVR'ers? If I were to pick up one, which should I get; RIGS or Battlezone?
If you prefer co-op play get Battlezone, if you prefer competitive get RIGS.

Personally I preferred RIGS by a long shot, even in the offline modes which are just PvP against bots.

Hold on, the Pro has three USB ports??

2 in the front and one in the back

zMbav9Y.jpg

Sorry, just catching up from a few pages back, wanted to lower the tone briefly.

Kyolux

Game sounds right up my alley, I'm in.

It's funny, it sounds like the reviewer never played Arkham VR. He's really impressed with things like picking up a note with a controller and holding it up to read it.

I'm pretty sure he did too. But there's a lot of room resetting in Arkham VR though, that may be why.

But Chris Carter has been reviewing VR games since OR and Vive been released too. So that's kind of odd. Maybe he hasn't spent a lot of time in VR recently?

The guy reviews games like a machine. He's probably one of the only reviewers I respect/care what he has to say out there. Even if I don't always agree.

Maligna

Banned
Spoke too soon. This isn't VR related, but my screen just went black while playing Overwatch and wouldn't come back. Couldn't tell if the system was on or off. I think it was off because there were no lights on the front.

Jesus... again, fuck this Playstation "Pro". Causing me nothing but problems.

Toma

Did anyone buy Proton Pulse? Can you play the whole game with move controllers or is that a different mode in addition to head controls?

Griss

Do we have a general VR thread to talk about impressions and stuff?

Because I was given a $200 best buy gift card and went to buy PSVR having never even tried it. (Nothing else I wanted with the gift card, so why not, right?)

I was fortunate enough that they were demoing both PSVR and Oculus Rift in the store, and I tried them both. As a VR-virgin, I was all hyped to be truly blown away like I've seen on those reaction vids. But after trying them, my hype went 180 and I decided not to purchase. Both had strengths and weaknesses but to make a long story short the sense of 'presence' I had heard so much about just wasn't there. I'm really curious why it wasn't.

I tried RIGS on PSVR (probably a bad idea, I think) and 'The Climb' on Oculus.

But my reaction was that this tech has a long way to go before I feel like it's ready, especially in the area of screen resolution and jaggies.

I'll say this for PSVR - the absence of the screen door effect compared to Oculus and the amazing sense of comfort and no light leak were all very impressive. Combined with the price, even more so.

RoyalFool

Banned
But my reaction was that this tech has a long way to go before I feel like it's ready, especially in the area of screen resolution and jaggies.

I would agree that the tech isn't ready for prime-time just yet, but I can't relate to your lack of presence. For me, the first time wearing VR was pretty mind blowing experience, just the PSVR demo disk menu made my jaw drop, seeing that virtual controller hovering there in what felt like an infinite vastness of space around me.

Sounds like you did the right thing in saving your money, but I wouldn't let one experience sour you to it. Did you have time to properly calibrate everything, and have headphones in?

Kyolux

Did anyone buy Proton Pulse? Can you play the whole game with move controllers or is that a different mode in addition to head controls?

I posted impressions a page or so back last night.

Don't buy it if you want to play with move. The game doesn't let you reach the edges of the box, but doesn't shy away from sending the ball there. It then forces you to recenter towards where you're looking, making you face away from the camera.

I went in expecting something good, given Jake Kaufmann's involved. But heh.. big disappointment.. I'll keep playing it, but probably just with the head controls, which actually lets you reach the edges.

Flandy

Having second thoughts about buying battlezone. Will essentially be $40 after tax if I get it from Best Buy. Looked up some reviews and I'm not sure it looks worth $40 :/

Griss

I would agree that the tech isn't ready for prime-time just yet, but I can't relate to your lack of presence. For me, the first time wearing VR was pretty mind blowing experience, just the PSVR demo disk menu made my jaw drop, seeing that virtual controller hovering there in what felt like an infinite vastness of space around me.

Sounds like you did the right thing in saving your money, but I wouldn't let one experience sour you to it. Did you have time to properly calibrate everything, and have headphones in?

Yeah. Good headphones, calibrated, all that.

I just feel like.... I always get immersed in games. I remember having a 6 hour session of Metroid Prime, and when I took off the headphones I had no idea whose house I was in. I felt like I had been to Tallon IV and come back to earth. I was there. I had to stumble around and find the lights to know where I was (my own college dorm room). That's the honest truth... I had lost myself. And I've always been that way.

So, to my surprise, my reaction to both VR experiences was simply 'Huh, I can move the camera with my head.' That was it. I feel like I forget about the controller and TV screen so totally when I'm gaming that the fact that the screen was stuck to my face wasn't such a big deal. That's the only way I've been able to rationalise how little an effect it had on me.

I was on this platform on 'the climb', and I immediately stepped off it into mid air because the visuals just weren't good enough to convince my brain. I would have been more immersed with better visuals and resolution on a normal TV, and that was my instantaneous feeling, and it persisted. It was weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom