• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeless

I assume I need to go through the rest of the game to see that?

Move or DS4? Any other tips for maximum enjoyment?

You need to either finish the main campaign, or simply clock one hour of gameplay and the Area X level will unlock.

I'd actually recommend using the DS4 just to hold a lock on, and use the headset itself to aim. It's the most efficient layout.

Shoeless

Robinson the Journey left me feeling kind of ill. It doesn't seem terribly exciting either. Anyone like this game?

I liked it, but it's an adventure game, so don't expect too much in the way of action. It's more puzzles. Also, it's one of the games that's high up there for the possibility of motion sickness.

It's a pretty divisive title on this thread, especially because of the price point, but if you're playing it on a Pro and you want to see VR dinosaurs, it's a pretty impressive experience. But yeah, it can make you sick, so take it easy with that game.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It should have no problems other than not even being 1k let alone 4k.

1080p is basically 2K. The difference between the two is tiny.
Also, what Backfoggen said.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Should I give Rez infinite another shot? I played the first two levels and was incredibly underwhelmed. I thought the gameplay was pretty boring

I see Rez less as a traditional game and more like a hypnotic chillout coma inducer. You just have to flow with the experience, the visuals and the sound, and then it will click.

phant0m

Guess I'm buying battlefront

How's it compare to Jackal Assault? I wasn't too impressed by it since I already own Eve Valkyrie

Jackal Assault has better combat, period. You can't even roll in X-wing. Jackal Assault, however, doesn't have the Star Wars Universe behind it. I grinned ear to ear when I accidentally opened the manual targeting computer.

EVE is far and away the best of all the space combat games out so far.

Aww, that's too bad. But yeah, probably the age because you never know with them. I had some "awe" moments with my family. My favorite was with my Star Wars nerd brother-in-law who is in his 40's. He has played games throughout his life, but probably not anything since the Xbox.

I threw Battlefront on him and at the intro at first he didn't really react. Then I grabbed his head and physically made home move it around and he screamed (I have my headset pretty loud) "Holy Fuck" and the proceeded to almost lay down on the floor looking up at the AT-AT while laughing. He then had the biggest smile and "ooh's" and "ahh'" and a huge squeel when he saw his own droid.

That is a fantastic story! That realization moment, though!!

Jackal Assault has better combat, period. You can't even roll in X-wing. Jackal Assault, however, doesn't have the Star Wars Universe behind it. I grinned ear to ear when I accidentally opened the manual targeting computer.

I played it again tonight and I just realized the targeting computer actually functions during battle when you lock on to Tie Fighters. I thought it was just a really cool Easter Egg, then I decided to use it while locking on to Tie Fighters and it was functional and my mind was blown!

MrMephistoX

So I have Rez and Battlezone ready to play when I get my PSVR on Xmas but I'm looking for a Wii Sports level crowd pleasure for casuals at our Xmas eve party as well: thoughts? I just got the standard headset bundle so I do not have VR Worlds.

[edit] and by casuals I mean my family including late 30's siblings and parents.

androvsky

So I have Rez and Battlezone ready to play when I get my PSVR on Xmas but I'm looking for a Wii Sports level crowd pleasure for casuals at our Xmas eve party as well: thoughts? I just got the standard headset bundle so I do not have VR Worlds.
Headmaster. There's a demo on the demo disc that's a decent length for running through a party.

Actually, just the demo disc itself would be fine so people can pick the genre they're interested in. Just learn enough about the games to warn about increased chance of motion sickness or if it's a horror game. But Headmaster is a safe pick in general.

MrMephistoX

Headmaster. There's a demo on the demo disc that's a decent length for running through a party.

Actually, just the demo disc itself would be fine so people can pick the genre they're interested in. Just learn enough about the games to warn about increased chance of motion sickness or if it's a horror game. But Headmaster is a safe pick in general.

Cool the sadist in me wants to do surgeon simulator ;) also important I probably need to get the move controllers for Headmaster?

Spman2099

If Jackal Assault has better combat then it doesn't utilize it very well. I found that whole thing to be VERY underwhelming. X-wing, on the other hand, is genuinely exhilarating. It feels faster, more chaotic, and shows real promise.

I need them to turn that demo into a full game, it is way better than Battlefront itself. It actually makes me feel less sad about buying that game.

My Mom (in her late 60s) also loves the original Star Wars movies so she freaked out over Battlefront VR. However, I had to pilot the X-wing for her using the TV.

I did the same thing with my mom who is her 70s. She's had multiple eye surgeries and overall still poor eyesight yet no motion sickness when the rest of us are always sweating after playing it.

I totally have my VR legs but I had my first, genuine, I'm gonna' hurl moment with Windlands tonight. I jumped, swung, and turned to look down and sideways as I was flying forward and had to pull the headset off and take some deep breaths... it was magical! :-D

Kurdel

Banned
Should I give Rez infinite another shot? I played the first two levels and was incredibly underwhelmed. I thought the gameplay was pretty boring

I had the same experience my first time playing. It slowly gets better until you reach lvl4 and 5, then it climaxes everywhere. And Area X is worth unlocking too, it looks completely different.

And I play with DS4+ head movement for more clusters of enemies.

bumpkin

Are they kidding with the demo of Rollercoaster Dreams where you can't actually go on any rides? That was the part of the experience that I wanted to sample.

Shoeless

[edit] and by casuals I mean my family including late 30's siblings and parents.

I would imagine that the new Fruit Ninja game would probably be pretty casual friendly.

Although Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and probably Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes would be good too.

D23

Wife got me Robinson:journey as a early Christmas present. Wow this game is beautiful on the Pro. Might be the best looking vr game yet.

Only an hour in so far and I like it. Just totally get lost in that world. Can't wait to go back in

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea, I really liked Rez on Dreamcast, but was surprised how much it really aged. Neat nostalgia trip, but not a very impressive rail shooter for newcomers. After an hour of total gametime or just finishing all five levels(the fifth level being super long and the most interesting of the bunch) will unlock Area X at the main menu which is worth experiencing.

Plasma

Banned
Didn't realise Surgeon Simulator was on psvr. Went to have a look and it seems to have low reviews on the store, any particular reason?

It was a mess when it released the tracking made it unplayable, they fixed a lot of it in the last patch but I still don't think it feels as good to play as other games like Job Simulator.

ffvorax

It was a mess when it released the tracking made it unplayable, they fixed a lot of it in the last patch but I still don't think it feels as good to play as other games like Job Simulator.

That is a bad news... :(
I was very happy when I found out it was going to PSVR and was waiting for the first price drop to buy it... but if it is so bad on tracking it make no sense, the game IS about decent tracking...

B D Joe

@BlackBanditSho @TTP @Splinter

Thanks for all your replies, everything seems to be working with the new headset like tracking and has depth and is in VR mode.

I think the problem with the new unit is it's like looking thru a tunnel now, where as the old headset i could move the scope really close and fill my whole vision , the new one if i get too close half circles appear at the sides and if you move it away you get the tunnel effect which kills the immersion for me.

I might try a replacement once stock levels normalise.

I got to spend some time playing the new 1.03 Battlezone patch last night, and thought I would share some impressions:

Tank selection screen now displays some extra stats for each tank type (shield, armour and speed, IIRC). More importantly, they seem to have added more default mod boosters to tanks: The Hacker tank always came with some extra points in its Heal ability, but last night I noticed that the Mine Clearer now comes with three points of Front Shield and two points of Magnet by default. The default mod points are coloured white to make them stand out from the bought mods. The MC was my go-to tank due to starting with a Mk5 Cannon, but now it's even better!

Solo maps now contain 'health crystals', which look the same as data crystals but are green. They show as an allied blue item on the radar and heal you when they are attacked. I didn't try co-op, but I assume that they only appear in solo to give you some way of healing hull damage.

I'm not sure if it's always been there and I just didn't notice or whether it's new, but weapons which have unlock criteria now show your progress towards unlocking them in the Arsenal screen. This may be useful for those hunting the data, tank, turret and hopper trophies, as the numbers you need for the trophies are the same as the weapons. Depressing as my progress towards the 'Life Get' data trophy is pretty poor.

I picked up a mid-level artillery from a supply point and was far more impressed with it than I have been in the past. Again, it may have always been this way, but I feel like the targeting has improved - enemies (and hackable buildings) are highlighted when you hold R2 and change colour when you get their range right. For the first time I felt like it was a really useful secondary weapon; I was able to clear turrets from extreme distance and managed to get the triple-kill trophy from a cluster of tanks. The ability to see and attack enemies from behind cover really makes a difference, the only problem is the low ceilings in some of the areas of shield generator missions.

The 'classic mode' is ok for a few minutes, but I found the one-shot kill mechanic to be a bit unforgiving. I know, I should just 'git gud', but I just gave up and went back to the main game.

The 'field manual' told me a load of stuff I already knew (blaster kills always result in ammo drops, etc.), but did have the odd nugget of info. For example, supply points near the edges of the map have better items; before I thought that it was the ones closer to the volcano.

There are also new paid-for customisation options. £0.79 could buy you a hot neon pink paintjob; or you could get a festive jingle bells horn. But apart from that the new update is great!

TL;DR: A great game just got a lot better!

Maligna

Banned

Honestly for crowd pleasing games I've had the most success with Playroom VR, which you can get for free. People love the "Godzilla" game.

Playroom VR and also if you want some fun grab Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

gmoran

Rush of Blood, especially if you have Moves, it is the one thing I can show anyone and they instantly love, the Nightmare Descent level is the best for demoing: not too scary, roller-coaster section, good tempo

Rubik8

Has anyone tried Fruit Ninja VR? I'm itching to get this one.

I bought it. Game is fun, tracking is perfect for me. Not the deepest game, but has more depth than the flat versions due to the precise control of the katanas. I have a stupid smile on my face when I play it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I bought it. Game is fun, tracking is perfect for me. Not the deepest game, but has more depth than the flat versions due to the precise control of the katanas. I have a stupid smile on my face when I play it.

If you are gentle enough, you can also hold fruit on the side of blade. Serves no purpose, but it's cool :D

Gift me a 10 dollar PSN card and you can have the whole damn setup.
Including my 2nd camera and tripod!!

I just can't justify keeping this thing. I will rebuy it when Star Trek Bridge Crew comes out.

I'm guessing that you're being sarcastic or something, but I'll respond anyway:

You're going to sell it and then rebuy early next year because you can't justify keeping it? You've already got the thing and it doesn't cost you anything to keep it so what do you need to justify? Just put it back in its box and get it out again when something you want to play comes out.

I can understand someone selling it and later rebuying if they're looking to make a profit by exploiting the lack of supply, but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying.

Baffled.

Kyolux

I'm guessing that you're being sarcastic or something, but I'll respond anyway:

You're going to sell it and then rebuy early next year because you can't justify keeping it? You've already got the thing and it doesn't cost you anything to keep it so what do you need to justify? Just put it back in its box and get it out again when something you want to play comes out.

I can understand someone selling it and later rebuying if they're looking to make a profit by exploiting the lack of supply, but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying.

Baffled.

C'mon. He's clearly making fun off the 'I quit PS VR" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom