• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

doby

I can't even add the Groupon Audible deal to my cart.

The groupon deal is sold out. I was too late too, annoying.

I was referring to the $25 promo credit offer, which ends on the 23rd. You can still get it if you sign up to audible (if you have prime) but you'll technically only get $10 free as its $15 to sign up, whereas using the groupon deal you could get the full $25.

I picked up Starship Disco and Lethal VR last night and I had a blast with them. If you like light gun games like I do then I recommend not writing them off because imo theres not nearly enough yet and they are perfect for VR.

Lethal VR is short and overpriced but if youre interested in score chasing then theres enough here to have some fun. I was not having the tracking issues many are referring to.

Starship Disco was awesome! Even just playing with the supplied songs was fun, its essentially a light gun game but with a twist.

FDC1

Another game was released today: Starship Disco, a rythm shooter where you can import your own music. Any feedback?

antibolo

Banned
PSVR doesn't officially support 3D video...

What

Sorry for asking a dumb question but other threads got me worried - does the processing box introduce significant display lag for 'regular' PS4. Can it not be bypassed by 'switching' the box (you know it has this weird transformer feature where you pull half of the box back for seemingly no reason)

Haven't felt any extra latency so far and I'm usually pretty sensitive to those.

DrPirate

Banned
Has anyone gotten "I expect you to die"? Any word on how good it is in terms of length, fun factor, whether this would be great at a party? I'll be bringing my VR to my family gathering this Christmas and I've already got Keep Talking and a couple of other stuff, thinking about adding this to the repertoire.

Has anyone gotten "I expect you to die"? Any word on how good it is in terms of length, fun factor, whether this would be great at a party? I'll be bringing my VR to my family gathering this Christmas and I've already got Keep Talking and a couple of other stuff, thinking about adding this to the repertoire.

This feels more like a single player experience to me tbh. I've only done about two levels but they feel like short vignettes that dont really suit a party idea because of goody or anything.

Job Simulator would be better because of the humor, craziness of it. Plus once you figure out the solution its pretty much done unless everybody wants to laugh at one person playing.

Not picked it up yet but will be doing over Xmas, its been reviewing well, so it seems to be worth picking up.

Apparently its not too long, but each of the 4 scenarios have multiple puzzles and different ways to complete the level and it sounds like it might be getting more levels in the future too.

Shoeless

I like it a lot, but it's only four missions in length, which, of course, are only as long as it takes for you to figure out puzzle situations. However, the atmosphere is great, so is the humor, it uses Move controllers and feels a lot faster with them, and because of the social screen aspect, it can still be a lot of fun to play with others. I played the entire game with my wife cackling over my various deaths, and of course, she got engaged in trying to help me figure out some of the puzzles.

But yeah, once you do know the solutions, that's about it. So while I do like the game and recommend others play it, I also understand the price tag may be a little steep for some people considering the length.

Hmmm...the youtube VR update doesn't seem available in the US yet. I'm still running the older version and when i go to update it says the version I'm running is the latest.

Some of the people who got it last night were in NA.

I'm also in NA (Mountain time) and I've also not received it. I haven't checked this morning yet, perhaps it's downloaded.

Shoeless

Some of the people who got it last night were in NA.

I'm also in NA (Mountain time) and I've also not received it. I haven't checked this morning yet, perhaps it's downloaded.

Yeah, this is really weird. I'm in the Eastern zone, and I didn't have to do anything, my console automatically detected, downloaded and installed it while in rest mode. I just turned it on, saw the notification last night, came to this thread and one other guy had also commented that he'd seen it. Iv'e already tried out a few videos, and it kind'a works. 360 videos are fine. 3D videos are screwy.

valeu

i need advice...

i want to play star wars battlefield vr mission

star wars battlefield is on sale, but when i look at the game on the psn store there is no icon for psvr, which other games with vr elements have....and there is a list of expansions that you can download with the game, but the vr mission isn't one of them.

i'm in brazil and psvr will release here in april, but there are plenty of games like thumper, rez, bound, etc., that i can play on my psvr.

for those that have played the vr mission, is the mission in an in-game menu? if you look on your psn store at the game, is it listed as an expansion?

i don't want to download the game and then it not be there, because i'm only interested in the vr mission

Shoeless

i need advice...

star wars battlefield is on sale, but when i look at the game on the psn store there is no icon for psvr, which other games with vr elements have....and there is a list of expansions that you can download with the game, but the vr mission isn't one of them.

i'm in brazil and psvr will release here in april, but there are plenty of games like thumper, rez, bound, etc., that i can play on my psvr.

for those that have played the vr mission, is the mission in an in-game menu? if you look on your psn store at the game, is it listed as an expansion?

i don't want to download the game and then it not be there, because i'm only interested in the vr mission

That's tricky. The game does launch from within Battlefront itself, so you're right about that. However, not having access to the Brazilian PSN, I can't tell you why you can't see the VR mission. On the North American store, I can see it just fine in the VR section of the store. You also have the option to download it from within Battlefront itself.

I don't know whether this means that it's simply not available to Brazilian players, or the Brazil store has it tucked away in some weird digital corner and you'll need to do some crazy search to dig it up.

farisr

i need advice...

Well loading up the Brazil webstore, it seems like no VR only titles are listed at the moment (the mission has its own standalone listing on the store over here as well, even though you need the base game to launch it) so it could just be a matter of VR launching before the star wars mission gets listed once VR actually launches.

But if you want to be on the safe side, I would suggest not buying Battlefront just yet.

Cess007

i need advice...

I don't have VR yet, but I'd to download the VR mission from the US Store as the MX Store didn't have the VR Mission; I guess is the same for the BRA PS Store?

And yes, the mission is accessible from the in-game menu once you've download it.

valeu

thanks, for the tips. yeah, there's no vr section on our store yet.....but games that you can play on both ps4 or psvr have a psvr icon next to where it lists how many gigs the game is, if it has camera support, etc.

for ex., today rollercoster dreams launched which has that icon, whereas starwars battlefield doesn't have it

the price is so low maybe i could take a risk and at worst have to wait to play the vr mission in april....or i get lucky

Shoeless

thanks, for the tips. yeah, there's no vr section on our store yet.....but games that you can play on both ps4 or psvr have a psvr icon next to where it lists how many gigs the game is, if it has camera support, etc.

for ex., today rollercoster dreams launched which has that icon, whereas starwars battlefield doesn't have it

the price is so low maybe i could take a risk and at worst have to wait to play the vr mission in april....or i get lucky

At least on the North American store, there are multiple ways to get that mission. You can download it from within Battlefront, you can download it from the web version of the store to your PS4, or you can find it separately in the VR section of the store on your console and download it that way. I have no idea if any of these options will work for the Brazil version. You should be able to download it separately even without Battlefront. A few people here erroneously did that, not realizing you'd need Battlefront to run it.

B D Joe

Strange situation. Got my first psvr day one and it was the most immersive and greatest gaming experience ive ever had. However CEX were offering silly money so sold it a week later knowing I could buy another cheaper.

Fast forward a couple weeks ago and I got a new headset, instantly it's a completely different experience. There's little to no immersion and I find no matter how I position it on my head nothing helps. Even my wife knows it's different so I know it's not me.

Has anybody had a similar experience or have I just got a defective unit?

farisr

The thing is the games you're referring to so far (Rez, thumper, bound, rollercoaster dreams), all can be played in and out of VR in their entirety, hence they have a VR icon. Battlefront can not and it's only an expansion that has to be downloaded seperately that supports VR (and is exclusive to VR), which is why it likely doesn't have that icon.

Also, just looking at the listing here on the webstore:

STAR WARS™ Battlefront™: Missão X-Wing VR vai deixar os jogadores imersos em uma das fantasias mais esperadas de Star Wars – pilotar uma X-Wing nos recônditos do espaço. Essa nova missão será exclusividade do PlayStation VR, e será gratuita para quem já tem o STAR WARS™ Battlefront™.

* Requer Star Wars Battlefront para PS4™, PlayStation®VRe e a PlayStation Camera (todos vendidos separadamente)

It lists the X-Wing VR mission, and its requirements. So yeah. Actually, get it if you don't think it'll be on a better sale by the time you get VR. It seems like it is absolutely planned.

Worst case scenario, you can just make a US account, and download it from the NA store. It's not like it's an online multiplayer mission or anything.

valeu

here on the webstore[/URL]:

It lists the X-Wing VR mission, and its requirements. So yeah. Actually, get it if you don't think it'll be on a better sale by the time you get VR. It seems like it is absolutely planned.

Worst case scenario, you can just make a US account, and download it from the NA store. It's not like it's an online multiplayer mission or anything.

wow! i didn't see that. farisr the detective. thanks, dude

Flandy

When is the game supposed to start running terribly?
Running at 1620p60 on Chapter 2 with the auto detected settings which were Very High/Ultra
Using a GTX 1080

Opps wrong thread

Well I guess I'll ask if Battlefront is worth the $10 if I want it soley for PSVR

antibolo

Banned
When is the game supposed to start running terribly?
Running at 1620p60 on Chapter 2 with the auto detected settings which were Very High/Ultra
Using a GTX 1080

Opps wrong thread

Well I guess I'll ask if Battlefront is worth the $10 if I want it soley for PSVR

Yes.

Haven't even touched the rest of the game yet.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Strange situation. Got my first psvr day one and it was the most immersive and greatest gaming experience ive ever had. However CEX were offering silly money so sold it a week later knowing I could buy another cheaper.

Fast forward a couple weeks ago and I got a new headset, instantly it's a completely different experience. There's little to no immersion and I find no matter how I position it on my head nothing helps. Even my wife knows it's different so I know it's not me.

Immersion = field of view + stereo vision. I don't see what defect would cause the two not to work. Hard to tell what might be going on. Are you experiencing a lack of depth perception? Did you try re-adjusting eye-to-eye distance? Are you trying the same content that wow'ed you before?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Guess I'm buying battlefront

How's it compare to Jackal Assault? I wasn't too impressed by it since I already own Eve Valkyrie

It's much, much better than Jackal. It stands up there along with Batman VR as the most impressive VR content I've enjoyed.

tr00per

Just a heads up!

They have a free $25 Amazon Credit for trying a free 2 month trial of Audible from Groupon. A lot of people are using the credit to buy Final Fantasy for $10 (It is on sale today only on Amazon for $35).

You could use the $25 for PSN Credit (which you get instantly from Amazon) and buy PSVR Games. I am deciding now on whether to get PSN Credit for I Expect You To Die, or should I buy Final Fantasy.

Good looking out, thanks!

Hi,

I've got some update on Bound's camera patch. I see that there are a lot of you waiting for it and I'm thankful for that :).
Unfortunately due to various events we missed our December spot and because of Xmas break at Sony we should exit from FormatQA in the beginning of January. Expect the update around second week of January :(. Sorry for that....
But to leave you with some good hopes for that patch, here's the teaser video that I assembled today:

http://twitter.com/plasticdemo/status/811220997516967936

I think it's worth to wait a bit more :). Also the demo will be released together with that patch!

How exciting! Big Plastic fan here. I've been dying to play this since its announcement! I have already purchased the game but I thought it wise to wait for the best VR experience. And by the way is there any hope for Datura in VR? PLEASE!? :D I even tried hooking up my psvr to the ps3 just so I could pretend I had it :p either way I appreciate the update!

I wrote a review for Lethal VR: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/12/20/lethal-vr/ (Suffice to say I strongly warn against a purchase!)

I also have ones up for Rez Infinite and Crystal Rift. Got one for Batman coming as well.

That's hard to hear I was looking forward to that one :/ thanks for braving the storm for us

antibolo

Banned

How's it compare to Jackal Assault? I wasn't too impressed by it since I already own Eve Valkyrie

Jackal was closer to the Eve Valkyrie demo in terms of content.

This is a more substantial experience, it lasts 12-15 minutes and has you doing more stuff.

And if you care even remotely about Star Wars you should have a big dumb grin on your face all the way through.

I'm looking forward to having my nephews try it out this holiday season.

Joystick

I said in another forum that it's Jackal Assault x 5. Maybe not that good but it's much better! Better explosions, better sound, better graphics, longer, flying around huge ships, through asteroids etc.

Flandy

It's much, much better than Jackal. It stands up there along with Batman VR as the most impressive VR content I've enjoyed.

Jackal was closer to the Eve Valkyrie demo in terms of content.

This is a more substantial experience, it lasts 12-15 minutes and has you doing more stuff.

And if you care even remotely about Star Wars you should have a big dumb grin on your face all the way through.

I said in another forum that it's Jackal Assault x 5. Maybe not that good but it's much better! Better explosions, better sound, better graphics, longer, flying around huge ships, through asteroids etc.

Bought.
I'm planing on seeing Rogue one next week which I'm pretty hyped about. This will hopefully hold me over until then

Finally, this Sunday I get to rip mine open and hook it up. No doubt I'll be back here asking for recommendations.

I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed for either or both of the Serious Sam games to make their way over to PSVR... but the line up is pretty damn good, as someone who had a Rift.

If you pick it up and enjoy the main game, just know the Season Pass is only $20 this week. A single expansion pack for the game is typically $15. You can get all 4 for just $5 more than that. The expansions are worth it just for the Death Star and Rogue One Scarif expansions (the Bespin (Cloud City) and Jabba's Palace stuff is really neat, too).

valeu

I downloaded Star Wars Battlefield to the point where it starts letting you play (5gb)....it goes right into a game where you are Vader killing waves of Rebels....but there's no main menu to go to yet to start the VR download. You're just stuck in this endless Vader mode, I guess until the whole 45gb download. I'll have to be patient.

Flandy

If you pick it up and enjoy the main game, just know the Season Pass is only $20 this week. A single expansion pack for the game is typically $15. You can get all 4 for just $5 more than that. The expansions are worth it just for the Death Star and Rogue One Scarif expansions (the Bespin (Cloud City) and Jabba's Palace stuff is really neat, too).
Isn't it just multiplayer stuff? Not really interested in the rest. I have other multiplayer games that I could play lol

Glad I waited on Battlefront, no way I was paying for that stupidly expensive season pass.

Now the VR Mission is out I will be picking up Battlefront Ultimate Edition with all the DLC included.

Isn't it just multiplayer stuff? Not really interested in the rest. I have other multiplayer games that I could play lol

Well the game is multiplayer only (apart from the VR mission). The main game (sans DLC) has offline multiplayer where you can play against bots solo or co-op split-screen with one other player (you can also play against bots online with a friend if you can't do local split-screen). For whatever reason, that does not extend over to the DLC. I would love for it to happen, though. The tutorials are offline as well (with the option for split-screen). The speeder bike part is really fun. I wonder how that would be in VR if they ever made it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Amazon uk is having a sale and I picked up Eve Valkyrie for £25. I hope it's good.

muteki

I downloaded Star Wars Battlefield to the point where it starts letting you play (5gb)....it goes right into a game where you are Vader killing waves of Rebels....but there's no main menu to go to yet to start the VR download. You're just stuck in this endless Vader mode, I guess until the whole 45gb download. I'll have to be patient.
You should be able to start the download for the VR mission from the PSN store directly.

Flandy

Rogue One X-Wing VR Mission
c8e.jpg

That is going to blow their minds. You'll be giving them their Mario 64 moment, I hope you realize this.

Man I was SOOO hoping for that reaction from my nephew. He's a gamer. Plays sports games and pokemon. Ten (maybe too young). I let him try VR and he shrugged his shoulders. Said, "This is weird", and asked me to take it off. It was the shark demo.

So disappointed.

More for me, though!

Yeah, this is definitely a strange one. When you say no immersion, are you playing in Cinema mode? Cinema mode is 'flat' for lack of a better word. More like playing on a gigantic 120ft movie theater screen and you're close it.

When you're in VR, you can see things in front AND around you. Look to the left and right, there's both depth and an image. You can even look behind you.

Are you stuck in Cinema mode perhaps?

*Splinter

Is the camera tracking your head movements? I.e. if you move side to side (rather than rotating) do you move in-world? It's the only thing I can think of that would be kind of subtle, and I think someone else in this thread reported the same issue.

Man I was SOOO hoping for that reaction from my nephew. He's a gamer. Plays sports games and pokemon. Ten (maybe too young). I let him try VR and he shrugged his shoulders. Said, "This is weird", and asked me to take it off. It was the shark demo.

So disappointed.

More for me, though!

Aww, that's too bad. But yeah, probably the age because you never know with them. I had some "awe" moments with my family. My favorite was with my Star Wars nerd brother-in-law who is in his 40's. He has played games throughout his life, but probably not anything since the Xbox.

I threw Battlefront on him and at the intro at first he didn't really react. Then I grabbed his head and physically made home move it around and he screamed (I have my headset pretty loud) "Holy Fuck" and the proceeded to almost lay down on the floor looking up at the AT-AT while laughing. He then had the biggest smile and "ooh's" and "ahh'" and a huge squeel when he saw his own droid.

Chris_C

Looks like the PlayStation Move controller patch for The Assembly has hit. I've been waiting on that to finish the game. Guess I'll be playing tonight!

Flandy

Should I give Rez infinite another shot? I played the first two levels and was incredibly underwhelmed. I thought the gameplay was pretty boring

jrcbandit

Aww, that's too bad. But yeah, probably the age because you never know with them. I had an awe moments with my family. My favorite was with my Star Wars nerd brother-in-law who is in his 40's He has played games throughout his life, but probably not anything since the Xbox.

I threw Battlefront on him and at the intro at first he didn't really react. Then I grabbed his head and physically made home move it around and he screamed (I have my headset pretty loud) "Holy Fuck" and the proceeded to almost lay down on the floor looking up at the AT-AT while laughing. He then had the biggest smile and "ooh's" and "ahh'" and a huge squeel when he saw his own droid.

My Mom (in her late 60s) also loves the original Star Wars movies so she freaked out over Battlefront VR. However, I had to pilot the X-wing for her using the TV since she kept crashing and couldn't hit any Tie Fighters...

I have $15 in my wallet. I was thinking either I Expect You to Die or Surgeon Simulator VR (got patched). Which is the better experience? I wish both games were cheaper by $5-10, I might wait on sales for both. As is, I'll have to add $5-10 more to purchase.

Shoeless

Should I give Rez infinite another shot? I played the first two levels and was incredibly underwhelmed. I thought the gameplay was pretty boring

If you haven't unlocked and experienced Area X, you've missed out on the PS VR equivalent of a religious epiphany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom