• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumpkin

I bought it. Game is fun, tracking is perfect for me. Not the deepest game, but has more depth than the flat versions due to the precise control of the katanas. I have a stupid smile on my face when I play it.
I want it, but damn at the price tag. If it were $10 or less it'd be an insta-buy for me. From what I hear, it's extraordinarily light on content right now. I have the game on iPhone and they're always updating it with new stuff, but I don't know if they're doing the same for the VR version. I liked (on iOS) being able to pick from different blades, backgrounds, sounds and so on. If the VR version is missing that, they really skimped.

Supposedly it's also available on Vive, does anyone have that or know if they've added worthwhile content to that?

Looks like the PlayStation Move controller patch for The Assembly has hit. I've been waiting on that to finish the game. Guess I'll be playing tonight!

Oooooohh there is a patch for that? Glad Idid not went far in the game, hoping its worth it
Can I ask a favor, do either of you have a Pro? The Assembly was supposed to be Pro-patched day one, but I haven't heard any impressions. Even if you don't have anything to compare it to, the game runs non-VR as well, right? With a Pro you could take 4K screenshots that'd show if there are improvements. It'd be super helpful for my Pro update thread.

Kyolux

Too subtle for me. I avoid those kind of threads for a reason. Seemed like the logical conclusion to the 'Jeff VS low quality VR' rant.

He was ready to give it away for $10... and rebuy it in 3-4 months...Not really what I call subtle. I know he has been harsh on PS VR, but pretty sure the guy is saying this from a place of care, not hate.

I played Rigs last night with the update. There is now a comfort option that lets you experience not only being ejected but also being lowered onto your new RIG when it respawns. Very cool.

I can't figure out how to buy the APX rigs though.

He was ready to give it away for $10... and rebuy it in 3-4 months...Not really what I call subtle. I know he has been harsh on PS VR, but pretty sure the guy is saying this from a place of care, not hate.

Sorry, the 'subtle' bit was sarcasm. Maybe all our detectors are struggling today.

Next time I'll scour GAF for potential oblique references to other threads before commenting.

/S

*Splinter

I played Rigs last night with the update. There is now a comfort option that lets you experience not only being ejected but also being lowered onto your new RIG when it respawns. Very cool.

They aren't available yet. Vampire (and Test) APX will be available on the 27th, Nuke APX is Jan 10th, other APX don't have release dates yet.

Also that particular comfort option has always been there :p They did just add options to mute the chief and/or in-game announcer.

alienator

I want to talk a moment about Wayward sky.

Why is nobody talking about this little gem ? ;c

Just bought it today , after some hesitations (because noone seem to talk about it) Im not far into it, just fixed the first robot, but the presentation, scale and sense of being there is really well done. I really love it. Its very relaxing. Sure it aint the most difficult game out there, but its full of personality (those little robots with their dynamite crack me up).

Plus u can play fetch with chickens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUuH06NwiCg (yes i fail to grab the ball from the chicken the 2nd time, but i was literally banging my moves against a wall left to me, so i couldnt reach it :D )

They aren't available yet. Vampire (and Test) APX will be available on the 27th, Nuke APX is Jan 10th, other APX don't have release dates yet.

Also that particular comfort option has always been there :p They did just add options to mute the chief and/or in-game announcer.
Are you sure about that? I know there was an option to not see the ejection sequence but I never saw one that let you go down to the new RIG too.

Is the new arena live yet? What's it like?

I need to get back into RIGS. It's the only physical game I've got (because of the ridiculous pricing of it on PSN), but I've been struggling to find time for it.

*Splinter

Are you sure about that? I know there was an option to not see the ejection sequence but I never saw one that let you go down to the new RIG too.
Yeah I've been using it for a while
Is the new arena live yet? What's it like?

I need to get back into RIGS. It's the only physical game I've got (because of the ridiculous pricing of it on PSN), but I've been struggling to find time for it.
New map is live, and it's good. Bigger than the other maps (which always felt a bit small to me), and has lots of ramps and tunnels.

The layout is kind of similar to the testing area (but bigger)

Just bought it today , after some hesitations (because noone seem to talk about it) Im not far into it, just fixed the first robot, but the presentation, scale and sense of being there is really well done. I really love it. Its very relaxing. Sure it aint the most difficult game out there, but its full of personality (those little robots with their dynamite crack me up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUuH06NwiCg (yes i fail to grab the ball from the chicken the 2nd time, but i was literally banging my moves against a wall left to me, so i couldnt reach it :D )

I'll talk about it ALL DAY. It's my Game of the Year!!

Rubik8

I want it, but damn at the price tag. If it were $10 or less it'd be an insta-buy for me. From what I hear, it's extraordinarily light on content right now.

I totally understand that position. Personally, I never like the iOS fruit ninja. Playing in VR is weirdly satisfying, though. I took the chance because I REALLY wanted to weild a sword in VR. If that isn't worth $15 to you, I'm sure it will eventually go on sale for sub $10. It's easily worth that.

bumpkin

I totally understand that position. Personally, I never like the iOS fruit ninja. Playing in VR is weirdly satisfying, though. I took the chance because I REALLY wanted to weild a sword in VR. If that isn't worth $15 to you, I'm sure it will eventually go on sale for sub $10. It's easily worth that.
Are there any extras like being able to change swords or backgrounds or anything like that?

D23

Wayward Sky is amazing and its a sleeper hit. plus its only $20. everyone should buy it!!

I'm willing to do the next OT if no one has interest in doing it already.

Will we be moved to community or how does that usually work?

Any mods visit here regularity to ask?

Flandy

Jaunt VR released today
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...nces/cid=UP8829-CUSA06958_00-0000000000000000

"Download the free Jaunt VR app and watch over 150 premium, cinematic virtual reality experiences across your favorite genres: MUSIC, SPORTS, FILM, and TRAVEL!

MUST-SEE CONTENT:
- Watch the 5-part Invisible series by Doug Liman, Director of The Bourne Identity and Edge of Tomorrow
- Get into college football like never before with ESPN Gameday
- Enjoy VR documentaries Inside Syria and Inside North Korea by ABC News
- Be there with adventure athletes in amazing locations in the Home Turf series
- Be on stage with Paul McCartney and more in the Music World
- Get spooked in the The Game, a Jaunt Original, in the Horror World"

*Splinter

Just bought Rigs. It's dope. Which Rigs should I purchase first? What's the best beginners rig?
Painkiller is a good all rounder. Ok weapons/health, easy to use, can also heal teammates. Good first rig.

Blood Bank is probably the best overall rig. Decent health, powerful weapons, self heal after every kill. It has a rail gun which is a bit harder to aim with (no lock on) and the sentinel jump is a bit more fiddly than other types.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Jaunt VR released today
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...nces/cid=UP8829-CUSA06958_00-0000000000000000

"Download the free Jaunt VR app and watch over 150 premium, cinematic virtual reality experiences across your favorite genres: MUSIC, SPORTS, FILM, and TRAVEL!

MUST-SEE CONTENT:
- Watch the 5-part Invisible series by Doug Liman, Director of The Bourne Identity and Edge of Tomorrow
- Get into college football like never before with ESPN Gameday
- Enjoy VR documentaries Inside Syria and Inside North Korea by ABC News
- Be there with adventure athletes in amazing locations in the Home Turf series
- Be on stage with Paul McCartney and more in the Music World
- Get spooked in the The Game, a Jaunt Original, in the Horror World"

"Invisible" is so awful it's almost worth watching to witness it.

A great example of a film maker having zero idea how to use VR as a medium.

Grinchy

Banned
Just bought Rigs. It's dope. Which Rigs should I purchase first? What's the best beginners rig?

The red ones (Vampire) get their health back when you get a kill. That's a pretty huge advantage, so it makes it a good place to start IMO. As far as which rig to go with, it really depends on how you feel about their movement. I think the double jumping one (Nine Lives) is a good one to start with because double jumping is simple and makes sense.

I personally like the Tempest class the best. It's the one that can hover, but it has the lowest health and can die very quickly.

Wanna showcase PSVR to my 37 years old brother tomorrow, and I got Driveclub, RIGS, Tumble, VR Worlds and Sports Bar.
What's the best choice? He isn't into games at all.

Rubik8

Wayward Sky is amazing and its a sleeper hit. plus its only $20. everyone should buy it!!

I actually bought Wayward Sky by mistake. I was drunk and got it confused with Windlands. I had been putting off playing it, but now I'm moving it up the list.

Windlands turned out to be pretty fun. The world is sparse and sort of boring on its own, but the swing mechanics and sense of movement is solid. I wish it had Move support.

Rubik8

Fruit Ninja is a legit workout. I'm exhausted after about 30 minutes of frantic sword swinging.

That's for sure. Most of the fun for me is trying to make my moves as efficient and graceful as possible while maintaining an appropriate ninja-like stance. I'm sure I look stupid (my kids say I do), but it makes me feel like a fruit-hating badass. Not many games do that.

Rubik8

Wanna showcase PSVR to my 37 years old brother tomorrow, and I got Driveclub, RIGS, Tumble, VR Worlds and Sports Bar.

My mother, 64, will be arriving for a 3 day visit in a couple of hours. I'm straight-up, legit excited about putting her in the PSVR. I have to select my demo(s) carefully, so as to not give her a heart attack. Plus, she has a touch of vertigo, so I'll be limiting her to sit-down experiences. I'm thinking Ocean Decent (no shark) and then London Heist.

Thanks for that heads up on the free Jaunt app today, so far it has the best quality 3d videos I've been able to find on PSVR.

I knew Shaq was a big guy but goddamn!

The 3d is much clearer than I expected in the few of these I've tried out. They start out looking flat like 360 videos then when it loads in the 3d has a nice and natural "size" to it. In other 3d videos I've seen thru the Hulu app and VRideo the 3d seemed unoptimized and thus "too large" compared to reality.

Still no VR update for my YouTube app but Jaunt seems much better...

The best VR bang for your buck out of what you own would be VR Worlds/ London Heist and Dangerball.

London Heist is a real showcase for presence and interactivity. Its staionary so you dont have to worry about movement, picking up things and changing the radio is a cool first time gimmick and its got a good enough story thats dso brief.

Then Dangerball is just straight up competitive fun. Easiest game to control, fun/quick rounds, also a good demo for 3D audio.

Forget the kitchen, download Beginning Hour. The IQ is so much better and there's actually interactivity to it.

I agree with you about IQ, but kitchen is a much better brief experience. When you want to demonstrate psvr games in limited time, kitchen is a perfect ''summary'' of RE experience.

Planet

And l say Kitchen is broken graphically, dimensions are way off, and also kinda boring. Didn't shock me at all, there are much better horror moments in Here They Lie demo, Resident Evil 7 Beginning Hour or Until Dawn Rush of Blood Demo to be had for free. But sure, they require some sort of gaming experience, at least the first two.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but Perfect doesn't look like it got any form of Spotify integration besides what the system provides for any game? They only put it into the description because they know how boring the thing is, right?

Ristlager

Didn't find Jaunt vr on the european store, used my American account and downloaded it. But after I launch it nothing happened, just a black screen. Anyone outside of America gotten it to work?

I have been doing this all day today, the two best responses have been VR Worlds and Until Dawn. If I have to demonstrate it one more time I think I'm gonna explode though. Going to pick up Keep Talking so there is something a bit more sociable.

There is a sale on some PSVR titles at the moment on EU/UK PSN. Only noticed EVE:V, Headmaster, Thumper and Harmonix currently. Edit: There is a lot more.

ckohler

Holoball might make a good demo for non gamers as it's basically racket ball. It also does a good job of making VR feel "big". Granted, you'll need enough room and a Move controller.

Rubik8

My mother, 64, will be arriving for a 3 day visit in a couple of hours. I'm straight-up, legit excited about putting her in the PSVR. I have to select my demo(s) carefully, so as to not give her a heart attack. Plus, she has a touch of vertigo, so I'll be limiting her to sit-down experiences. I'm thinking Ocean Decent (no shark) and then London Heist.

Well she did the shark cage and it was hilarious. Putting Stepdad into Rush of Blood tomorrow, cause he is a "tough guy". We will see.

Joystick

Didn't find Jaunt vr on the european store, used my American account and downloaded it. But after I launch it nothing happened, just a black screen. Anyone outside of America gotten it to work?

Yes, Australia, downloaded from the US store and it works fine for me. I've watched about 15 videos and while they seem better quality than Within and there is a lot of 3D there is still a big room for improvement with 360 cameras, stitching, getting the projection right, increasing resolution and bitrate. There are some better 2D 360 videos in Littlstar. It's still early days for 360 3D videos despite the plethora of cameras and software available.

I'm liking the 3D stuff in Jaunt. I remember seeing Giant Bomb checking this out during the Vive or Oculus day one streams they did earlier this year. I didn't realize then that those were actually 3D videos. When Drew over there freaked out when he moved, I thought he was talking about 360 videos. So, when I first tried 360 videos when I got PSVR, I didn't think it felt that odd. But when I tried the Jaunt app tonight and realized it was actually 3D (and remembered the Giant Bomb stream), I know see what Drew was talking about. It really is an odd sensation for you to be able to move your head, but the 3D depth remain the same. I watched the same video they did. It was about the NHL Winter Classic. Seeing that, makes me hopeful that one day will we get live sporting events in VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom