• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeless

Here's hoping I just bit off more than I could chew with regards to my VR tolerance this early, and I'll eventually be able to cope. I'd hate to think this is going to be a common thing.

You can build it up. It's pretty much like getting your sea legs. You stick with it, but don't push it, and eventually you develop a tolerance. Just don't try to push through the nausea itself. Once you start feeling bad, stop playing.

Nausea medicine also helps some people, so you can consider that as well if you need a pharmaceutical assist.

ckohler

Here's hoping I just bit off more than I could chew with regards to my VR tolerance this early, and I'll eventually be able to cope. I'd hate to think this is going to be a common thing.
One of the biggest factors is "world wobble", when the headset tracking goes bad periodically. It really messes with your head and can make you ill. If you are experiencing any of this, try rebooting your PS4 between games rather than going between them or starting directly from sleep mode.

Mercador

Not sure if this relates to your situation or not, and not really sure what "my persprctive was flat out" means?

It's because I don't know how to say it in English. My vision was blurry (after playing it) and I was feeling out of my shoes, like I was still in VR. Vision was laggy when I turn my head around, had difficulties to grab my glass on the table. It was like my 3d perspective was messed out. After 30 minutes staying in the bed, eyes closed, it was ok. I think my internal ear was pretty fcked up. Anyway, I won't replay that one for sure.

It's not really an issue, I rent the helmet to a colleague for the holidays so even if I didn't enjoy that game, I still had fun with others. But there's no platform seller for me, yet. Bring me Skyrim in VR and then I'll buy my own helmet.

Shoeless

Couldn't resist it, got Here They Lie despite the lack of Pro support.

Hope it lives up to the demo.

It gets really, really insane towards the end of the game. Some of the stuff as the game winds down is probably on par with Rez as a hallucinatory experience, but not in that religious epiphany sort of way, more like a "I now understand why people who have a bad trip on LSD never touch drugs again" sort of way.

hawk2025

It gets really, really insane towards the end of the game. Some of the stuff as the game winds down is probably on par with Rez as a hallucinatory experience, but not in that religious epiphany sort of way, more like a "I now understand why people who have a bad trip on LSD never touch drugs again" sort of way.
The demo already leaned that way on the second half, so I definitely expect a ramp-up in the main game.

Let's see...

How long is it?

oatmeal

Banned
How jank is it on a scale to 0 to Big Rigs
Never played that. It just feels so unfinished. The NPCs are hilarious and terrifying. The scaling is really good though. Definitely could see people getting nauseous.

Did that end up having PSVR support? It didn't have the VR labelling on the store.

Oh yah it sure does. Walk around the park and ride all of the rides and play all of the games.

Any recommended tripod/mic stands?

Need to get something to fix this wobble shit.

I've corrected my wobble almost entirely. I think it's the camera going in and out of focus. Make sure lighting is even and low in the room (not absent though), make sure your PSVR has been calibrated through the settings menu, if wobble starts to occur, center yourself up and physically move towards your camera a ways, allow it to focus then go back to playing. This has worked for me like %99 of the time so far.

valeu

resident evil 7 producer in game informer:

"Do you feel like it's better to play this game traditionally or in VR?
The core gameplay and content are the same no matter what version you play, and you will still get an immersive, horror experience regardless of which version you play. Playing in VR is an option that can heighten the immersion, so I highly recommend trying it in VR at least once.

This is one of the first triple-A games to hit VR, what have been some of challenges and why did you want to go all-in with VR for this entry?
When we released the Kitchen tech demo at E3 2015, it really proved to us that VR technology melds well with the horror genre and first-person player perspective. Using that experience, we explored different means of utilizing VR and ultimately decided on making the entire game in VR. We have VR as a flexible option though, which allows the player the choice to play as little or as much of the game in VR as they'd like in this mode."

less than a month away. i'm ready to scream and be terrified

bumpkin

Couldn't resist it, got Here They Lie despite the lack of Pro support.

Hope it lives up to the demo.
I didn't love nor hate the demo, I just thought it was weird as hell. Very tempting at the sale price. The reviews all seem pretty middling though. Right now my top three "Maybe I'll buy it" games are Here They Lie, Pinball FX2 VR, and Fruit Ninja VR, but the sale might do me in.

I'm just about done with Wayward Sky, just have a few more automata gear/pods to collect and then I need to get the 100 points in the arcade. Is that in a single round or collective? It's tough to get much past double digits IMO.

Sorry to ask again but are there any impressions on Eve Valkyrie now that it's been patched? Are the graphics on par with Jackal Assault and Battlefront X-Wing? Thanks.

Amused

report back. i'd love to hear that granny kicked monster-clown butt in rush of blood

Haha, I went for something easier in "shark attack", but it was awesome! Both my mom and my grandmother loved it and were awestruck by the technology. Grandma slightly less scared when the shark showed up :D

Brother and sister loved the Kitchen demo, and four year old nephew had a blast with the turtles in the coral reef.

The way people react to this stuff tells me there has to be some sort of future for this tech, even though we aren't quite there yet ass far ass mass appeal goes.

Sorry to ask again but are there any impressions on Eve Valkyrie now that it's been patched? Are the graphics on par with Jackal Assault and Battlefront X-Wing? Thanks.

The game is far better than both of those, looks better especially if you have a pro. The game is multiplayer focused though so your enjoyment of it will depend heavily if you like this but its easy to find a game. There is some single player content but it is really an introduction to acclimatise people to the controls, the combat and learn the maps but is really just expanded versions of what you find in the demos and experiences you mentioned. The dev seem to be intent on supporting it for a long time so if it turns out to be your thing it could have some serious longevity.

SonnyBoy

All,

What's the best way to obtain a PSVR bundle at this point? I've trolled a few pages in this thread and have noticed a sentiment that they're hard to come by. My GF wanted to get me one in time for Christmas but we had to deal with her ACL surgery/recovery beforehand.

I would have assumed that Sony would have saturated the stores with units.

Alienous

Sony under-supplied the PSVR, so there are very few non-scalped units in the wild after the Holiday Season. Resupplies seem to be coming in the second half of January.

gunstarhero

Anything good on the horizon for PSVR? I've been trying to keep up with what's coming out since launch - but either nothing is coming out or I'm not paying attention. -_-

HeadMaster, SHC and BattleZone are still my go-to-games, but those are starting to get stale.

Anything good on the horizon for PSVR? I've been trying to keep up with what's coming out since launch - but either nothing is coming out or I'm not paying attention. -_-

HeadMaster, SHC and BattleZone are still my go-to-games, but those are starting to get stale.
Resident evil 7(Jan 24)farpoint,VR game from Sony Japan,Ace combat 7,gt sport is all I know that's either all VR or has a VR mode coming next year

Yesterday i showed the PSVR to my 73 year old neighbour. He couldn't get enough and after three hours of non-stop sampling games he went off and bought one. Seeing is believing with VR.

I was thinking about picking this up, might look into it more but good to know somebody is enjoying it.

Either that or Eagle Flight as my next game.

I have eagle flight and played it for about 10 minutes and stopped. I just picked up How We Soar and will post impressions later on when I play.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yesterday i showed the PSVR to my 73 year old neighbour. He couldn't get enough and after three hours of non-stop sampling games he went off and bought one. Seeing is believing with VR.

73 year old bought it that fast? WOW! That's good.

w0s

I tried searching but have failed miserably. Can someone find me a link to the guy selling the glass protector for the headset? It was a cushin or something so people wouldn't hit their glases on the screen.

So one of the games I got for Christmas was rush of blood. Now I've never had any controller problems with any other VR game so far but for some reason when playing until dawn the hands like cross over each other and I can't shoot straight. Any ideas? Should I switch to move controllers

The game is far better than both of those, looks better especially if you have a pro. The game is multiplayer focused though so your enjoyment of it will depend heavily if you like this but its easy to find a game. There is some single player content but it is really an introduction to acclimatise people to the controls, the combat and learn the maps but is really just expanded versions of what you find in the demos and experiences you mentioned. The dev seem to be intent on supporting it for a long time so if it turns out to be your thing it could have some serious longevity.

Thanks a lot! Must been a real improvement on Pro then. The graphics of the demo were not as good as Jackal Assault and Battlefront. Gonna buy Eve asap 👍🏻

Glix

Did he even have a ps4, or did he go buy the whole jam?

Super cool

antibolo

Banned
So one of the games I got for Christmas was rush of blood. Now I've never had any controller problems with any other VR game so far but for some reason when playing until dawn the hands like cross over each other and I can't shoot straight. Any ideas? Should I switch to move controllers

If you own Move controllers there's absolutely no reason to not use them in this game.

Maligna

Banned

Are you holding the correct controller in each hand? I.E. Make sure your left hand is your left hand and your right hand is your right.

bumpkin

Oh man, Move controllers are the way to go in that game!

I have eagle flight and played it for about 10 minutes and stopped. I just picked up How We Soar and will post impressions later on when I play.
I played through the single player story and invested a decent amount of time trying to 3-star every stage and collect all of the feathers and fish, but neither felt rewarding after very long. Some of the race courses are just complete tedium with the one hit death and having nothing other than audio cues to find stuff while you're trying not to hit a wall or tree is irritating. If they had at least tied rewards to either feat (other than hidden missions), I probably wouldn't have shelved it and said fuck it to getting the trophies.

Joystick

Sony under-supplied the PSVR, so there are very few non-scalped units in the wild after the Holiday Season. Resupplies seem to be coming in the second half of January.

Well the news is that there was a manufacturing issue with the OLED screens which severely limited production of the headsets so Sony scaled back their marketing over the holidays to lessen the disappointment. Stores here in Australia received a few shipments but have been advertising pre-orders for 2017 for a week or two.

Joystick

Resident evil 7(Jan 24)farpoint,VR game from Sony Japan,Ace combat 7,gt sport is all I know that's either all VR or has a VR mode coming next year

Off the top of my head, there's also Star Trek Bridge Crew.

I'm sure there's loads of indie stuff also.

Plenty of games coming. These are all imminent:

• Adventure Time: Magic Man's Head Games
  • Filthy Lucre
  • Headbutt Factory
  • Mortal Blitz VR
  • Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul
  • Radial-G: Racing Evolved
  • Space Slam
  • VR Tennis Online

And these are Q1 2017:

• CRANGA!: Harbor Frenzy
  • Dying: Reborn
  • Fated: The Silent Oath
  • First Impact: Rise of a Hero
  • GNOG
  • Golem
  • Korix
  • Megaton Rainfall
  • Neptune Flux
  • Pixel Ripped 1989
  • Psychonauts: In The Rhombus Of Ruin
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Solitude
  • StarBlood Arena VR
  • Star Trek: Bridge Crew
  • Statik
  • Whiteday: A Labyrinth Named School
  • XING: The Land Beyond

RoyalFool

Banned
Plenty of games coming. These are all imminent:

Hope there are some sleeper hits in there, as nothing jumps up at me as something to really sink my teeth into. Worried about PSVR support post Resident Evil 7. PSX didn't exactly re-assure me either what with the announcements that Ace Combat and Gran Turismo will just have a 'VR mode'..

Only title I'm hyped about is the rumored 'Virtual Arcade' SEGA have in the works.

RoyalFool

Banned
Say what!?

Was one of the ideas they voiced at a VR conference a few weeks back, along with them looking at Alien Isolation. Not an official confirmation of either but yer, if the virtual arcade has realistic cabinets I'm quitting my day job and becoming a VR hermit.

Just made my girlfriend try the shark encounter in VR Worlds with headphones in - completely immersed. Got some really amazing reactions and frights out of her. Really wish I filmed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom