• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably going to pick up Thumper and Werewolves Within now that I've used the headset for a few days. I've also been thinking about grabbing Rez too

Flandy

I'm seriously getting tired of waiting for the DOAX3 VR experience. :( Why is TN doing this to us?

image.php

I am curious what happened to that. Actually a lot of games that were supposed to get PSVR patches still haven't gotten them. DoAX3, War Thunder, and Futuridium EP Deluxe off the top of my head

Joystick

I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly where and how to position the camera so that it accurately tracks my move controllers.

You might have to sit/stand a bit further back. When you start a VR game you get the warning message about health, age, and then the camera view to "make sure that the room is clear!" - check at that time that the camera can adequately see around you and see your move controllers when you reach up/down/left/right.

I had to dig out an old PS3 controller charging cable but it doesn't even seem to be charging properly (it dies the second I unplug it).

Yes, that old PS3 controller cable is what you need. When you charge the Move controller does the small red light on the front bottom flash to indicate that it is charging? Try leaving it on charge for a full day (or until the red light stops flashing and turns off - fully charged). I'm using Move's that are several years old and they're fine but it may depend on how they were previously used and charged.

If they are old Move controllers then there could be issues with the batteries and you may need to buy a replacement battery. Move batteries are a bit expensive but you can buy flashlight 3.7V Li-ion batteries off eBay quite cheap and rig them up yourself if you want to save money (PM me if interested in some tips).

Joystick

and yet developers/publishers still don't seem too hot on it.

What gives you that impression? I've read quotes and impressions from many devs and spoken to several who are absolutely positive and none who have given a negative view. Publishers - well it might take them a bit longer to get on board ($/risk) but I've yet to read anything negative from them either.

Joystick

Does the coupler thing work? Does it alleviate having to switch cables? When wanting to do hdr gaming?

The following options make it easier. They all require using two HDMI inputs on the TV to get both HDR gaming and non-HDR PSVR social screen. Switch between inputs using the TV remote. If you don't want to use PSVR social screen then you can avoid connecting the PSVR PU to the TV altogether and eliminate one cable & TV input.

To make swapping cables easier connect the PSVR PU to a regular TV input and use one of the following to add a second cable to a HDR TV input to an easy to reach position, then swap the HDMI cable coming from PS4 between the PSVR PU and the extension:
  1. (premium) HDMI extension cable (male-female)
  2. (premium) HDMI standard cable (male-male) + female-female HDMI adapter

No cable swapping: Use one of the following for around $30-$40 (the switch/splitter must support HDMI 2 + HDCP2.2 @4K@60Hz+HDR):
  1. HDMI switch + (premium) HDMI standard cable (male-male). PS4 to switch input, switch output A to PSVR PU input, PSVR PU output to non-HDR TV input, switch output B to HDR TV input. Switch output A for PSVR, B for HDR. Some switches have a physical switch, some have a remote.
  2. HDMI splitter + (premium) HDMI standard cable (male-male). PS4 to splitter input, splitter output A to PSVR PU input, PSVR PU output to non-HDR TV input, splitter output B to HDR TV input. Manually power off the PSVR PU to get HDR or add a remote controlled power adapter to it for around $5-10.

Edit: fixed HDMI cable descriptions in last list.

Shoeless

It's sad how the PSVR seems to be sold out everywhere and yet developers/publishers still don't seem too hot on it.

I think the big issue is that few publishers--understandably so--want to commit to a full length, AAA VR game because the ROI at the AAA level is pretty steep. Everyone is excited by VR, and experiences like Arkham VR and the X-Wing mission are a great way for devs to get in the design experience, but there just aren't enough units out there to make a reasonable risk for full priced AAA games yet. Games like RE7 and Ace Combat 7 are relatively "easy" fits since, aside from comfort setting issues, they don't have to do much to the actual gameplay to make it VR viable. But other projects aren't quite so easy to transition.

w0s

quite honestly I don't even care about full length games. Give me 2-3 hour games that are great experiences and price it accordingly.

I just played the Resident Evil 7 demo for like 35 minutes and spent the entire time looking at the FIRST room. This is legitimately insane...surprisingly the movement controls didn't make me feel weird after the first try at it. I could just stand there and look at every crack in the wall and ceiling all day. I played through the demo non vr and thought it was neat, but this opens up an entire new tier of visual detail that I normally just toss away as background graphical noise. Now I'm standing here wanting to open up a cardboard box that's sitting on the virtual chair in front of me.

In other news, I really want to get SuperHyperCube, but that price is so steep. Even the 20$ flash sale seemed like too much. I blew a lot of money this holiday already, but those beautiful warm neon glowing god rays beaming into my face is difficult to pass up. Anyone have any words on longevity of SHC? I can't stop playing the demo. It feels good, but I could see it getting stale.

quite honestly I don't even care about full length games. Give me 2-3 hour games that are great experiences and price it accordingly.

Yeah I agree even though I do want much longer games but a movie length is perfect as long as it is concise, well considered and about the price of a blu-ray.

I remember when I tried VR I got a sense of height and felt like I could fall to my death up high but never got a sense of somebody was close to me face, have any of you guys got that feeling yet?

Bebpo

Banned
So Batman VR has been sold out since Black Friday, so I gave up and cancelled it and just bought it on on PSN instead. Will check it out next time. Still haven't tried Rigs yet.

Battlezone was nicely done, but the maps are too long for me. I took my PS4 Pro + PS VR to relatives for the holidays to let people try it and the hardest part honestly is finding the "showpiece" demo because every single person seems to like something different about VR. But everyone really dug it and two people were really thinking about picking up a P4Pro + PSVR down the line.

It's interesting because like the Ocean diving demo is neat for some people, but for me it's boring because you can't interact at all. One of my friends absolutely loved the London Heist shooting/puzzle parts, I thought it was just ok. I love Thumper but people were like what's the point of this in VR it's just a normal game. I'm definitely more into Holoball than other people. RE7 demo played well for newcomers but I'm not a big fan because of the movement controls (would like it 1000% better if it had teleport movement).

Btw, why do so few games on PSVR use teleport movement while tons of stuff on Vive does? I can't imagine it's hardware related since pointing at a space and pressing a button is something you can do with Move. It's hard for me to play controller walking games after that.

I have a weird issue with VR. I think the reason why I find VR uncomfortable after about an hour is less to do with motion sickness, and more that because this slightly heavy headset is pushing down on the top of my nostrils, the pressure actually shrinks the nose cavity space and I get less oxygen so I get tired out over time. This is just my pet theory but I do notice it's a little tougher to breathe through my nose when I'm using the headset. Oh well -_-

In other news, I really want to get SuperHyperCube, but that price is so steep. Even the 20$ flash sale seemed like too much. I blew a lot of money this holiday already, but those beautiful warm neon glowing god rays beaming into my face is difficult to pass up. Anyone have any words on longevity of SHC? I can't stop playing the demo. It feels good, but I could see it getting stale.

SuperHyperCube is way too step. When I finally played it, it's cool but it's like a $10 puzzle game at best.

Eighthours

Superhypercube hasn't even been on sale in the EU yet. It really is like Polytron doesn't want to sell any copies. I'd love to buy it, but £24.99 is a ridiculous price point for this sort of game.

Dachande

I'm considering jumping in tomorrow. I'm in the UK - I've noticed that it seems to be sold out everywhere online at the moment, but is that the case for brick and mortar stores? Game have an interesting deal on at the minute with a camera, Move + games deal on their website, but it's out of stock there. Is that the case for the stores?

nikos

Any impressions of I Expect You to Die? Do you need a lot of space to play it? I loved The London Heist and had plenty of room for that.

I also enjoyed the Job Simulator demo but ultimately did not end up buying it because it seemed better standing up, and that requires a little bit of setup in my space. I still intend on buying that one day as well.

MrMephistoX

I think the big issue is that few publishers--understandably so--want to commit to a full length, AAA VR game because the ROI at the AAA level is pretty steep. Everyone is excited by VR, and experiences like Arkham VR and the X-Wing mission are a great way for devs to get in the design experience, but there just aren't enough units out there to make a reasonable risk for full priced AAA games yet. Games like RE7 and Ace Combat 7 are relatively "easy" fits since, aside from comfort setting issues, they don't have to do much to the actual gameplay to make it VR viable. But other projects aren't quite so easy to transition.

I think it should be a standard option in AAA games and wouldn't be that hard to implement head tracking in an FPS or Flight mode. I had fun playing overwatch in big picture mode and battlefront too after I finished up the VR mission.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Completed my VR set with a second move and my eyes are knackered from binging it all day and my girlfriends GearVR interchangably.

Couple of weird tracking things:

- My controller goes out of sync weirdly in Play Room VR and I have to re-plonk it into the ghost controller from settings before it... starts swivelling around again. Doesn't do it in any other demo so far.

- My left hand goes crazy flying everywhere in the Job Simulator demo at times, and I had seen some people say its tracking can be iffy. Is it perhaps better in the final thing/patched? Want to pick that up but no sale on and no idea on the support its getting.

Even though I've played Batman VR at trade shows and in someone elses house, just the damn title screen still gets to me. Legit AAA PSVR makes me thirsty for more devs to get into this shit.

Want to see a hell of a lot more Vive content ported over too but that seems to have not whirred into motion yet.

Oh and Sony having no highly detailed Cinema thing like Oculus Video or even just a fucking competent 3D Media Player speaks volumes of how shit their O/S team are these days.

Mendrox

I remember when I tried VR I got a sense of height and felt like I could fall to my death up high but never got a sense of somebody was close to me face, have any of you guys got that feeling yet?

Yes Summer Lesson has that feeling. Feels really strange like somebody pushing their face onto mine like in real life.

ckohler

My controller goes out of sync weirdly in Play Room VR and I have to re-plonk it into the ghost controller from settings before it... starts swivelling around again. Doesn't do it in any other demo so far.
I think this is a common issue with this otherwise perfect VR game. I have the same problem and I've seen other people do as well.

Oh and Sony having no highly detailed Cinema thing like Oculus Video or even just a fucking competent 3D Media Player speaks volumes of how shit their O/S team are these days.

Agreed but for now you should try the HULU app. It's VR mode is excellent.

majik13

I heard Dev units had a stereo vr media player, so they took it out for some reason. Also, what do you mean by a "highly detailed cinema thing"?

Would be nice if they had a VR front end that also supported Moves and such. Will probably be there eventually.

oatmeal

Banned
I want a Rock Band port where you are in the space that you're playing. Starting in a garage, then bigger and bigger Venues until it's a massive stadium and you can't hear anything but the crowds.

Would be really cool.

valeu

i remember people talking about this but i'm too lazy to hunt through 333 pages.....if someone easily knows the answer i would appreciate it: there are videos online of workarounds where you can convert youtube videos to psvr and connect a pc to your psvr BUT does anyone have recommendations of videos i can watch that are 360 degrees that work with psvr just using the youtube app on psn?

valeu

Huh, I forgot about the Youtube app when Jaunt released but looking again...... My YouTube app still won't update to 1.09.

yeah, there's no update for 1.09 yet....I saw a couple vids on the demo disk but the rest of them are locked and say you must download the Within app which we don't have yet either, or Jaunt.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
i remember people talking about this but i'm too lazy to hunt through 333 pages.....if someone easily knows the answer i would appreciate it: there are videos online of workarounds where you can convert youtube videos to psvr and connect a pc to your psvr BUT does anyone have recommendations of videos i can watch that are 360 degrees that work with psvr just using the youtube app on psn?

The youtube app isn't working for most of us (unless you got the 1.09 update during its brief window), but I would recommend converting them to 1080p videos, putting them on a USB stick, and using media player (for some reason it won't accept 4k video files).

I would highly recommend any video by Unreality Journeys. They are vaporwave videos and packed with memes (there is even a hilarious short based on dat boi).

One of my favourites is the vr/360 video sadpostingvibes. It is just a megaton of awesome. My GF has been unimpressed with the majority of the VR gaming stuff, but when she watched this video in PSVR she was like wow.

I've been loving my PSVR for the my first days of owning it. It's such a completely new experience and has really made me fall in love with games even more. I do have to wonder if this is bad for your eyes though

I have a weird issue with VR. I think the reason why I find VR uncomfortable after about an hour is less to do with motion sickness, and more that because this slightly heavy headset is pushing down on the top of my nostrils, the pressure actually shrinks the nose cavity space and I get less oxygen so I get tired out over time. This is just my pet theory but I do notice it's a little tougher to breathe through my nose when I'm using the headset.
It's not just you. To get my clearest picture the headset needs to rest pretty heavily on my nose. I feel and sound like I'm wearing a scuba mask. I can only take it for so long.

Chris_C

I do fancy Batman but I hear it's quite short and the graphics are a bit compromised on the OG PS4, I'm pretty terrible at FPS...so any recommendations?

Personally I think Batman is one of the best looking VR games on the OG PS4. It looks cleaner on the Pro of course, but it's very impressive on the base PS4. For my money the closest to a AAA presentation. As far as length goes, your valuation may be different from mine, but I thought it was easily worth the money. I tend not to mind if a game is short as long as I feel it's well crafted and makes blood use of its runtime.

Pac3y

I'm considering jumping in tomorrow. I'm in the UK - I've noticed that it seems to be sold out everywhere online at the moment, but is that the case for brick and mortar stores? Game have an interesting deal on at the minute with a camera, Move + games deal on their website, but it's out of stock there. Is that the case for the stores?

You'll be lucky to stumble upon one instore unfortunately. Stocks pretty much barren everywhere in the UK at the moment. You could try the more obscure stores, maybe smaller independent ones.

Goes for the move controllers also, they're like goldust.

katagai

Any impressions of I Expect You to Die? Do you need a lot of space to play it? I loved The London Heist and had plenty of room for that.

I also enjoyed the Job Simulator demo but ultimately did not end up buying it because it seemed better standing up, and that requires a little bit of setup in my space. I still intend on buying that one day as well.

If you have enough space to play Job Simulator, you should be fine with I Expect You to Die. The game features telekinesis, so you can grab objects from far away and bring them to you.

As for impressions, it plays like Job Simulator, except you're not told what to do and requires you to do trial and error to solve the level. The game is relatively short, but does feature some basic replay value, so you'll have a reason to replay levels.

The following options make it easier. They all require using two HDMI inputs on the TV to get both HDR gaming and non-HDR PSVR social screen. Switch between inputs using the TV remote. If you don't want to use PSVR social screen then you can avoid connecting the PSVR PU to the TV altogether and eliminate one cable & TV input.

To make swapping cables easier connect the PSVR PU to a regular TV input and use one of the following to add a second cable to a HDR TV input to an easy to reach position, then swap the HDMI cable coming from PS4 between the PSVR PU and the extension:
  1. (premium) HDMI extension cable (male-female)
  2. (premium) HDMI standard cable (male-male) + female-female HDMI adapter

No cable swapping: Use one of the following for around $30-$40 (the switch/splitter must support HDMI 2 + HDCP2.2 @4K@60Hz+HDR):
  1. HDMI switch + (premium) HDMI standard cable (male-female). PS4 to switch input, switch output A to PSVR PU input, PSVR PU output to non-HDR TV input, switch output B to HDR TV input. Switch output A for PSVR, B for HDR. Some switches have a physical switch, some have a remote.
  2. HDMI splitter + (premium) HDMI standard cable (male-female). PS4 to splitter input, splitter output A to PSVR PU input, PSVR PU output to non-HDR TV input, splitter output B to HDR TV input. Manually power off the PSVR PU to get HDR or add a remote controlled power adapter to it for around $5-10.

Why is a male to female needed?

I already have a hdmi switch... Trying to see if it works.. But I'm confused.. How do i set it up for the hdr part..

Can you link to the equipment.

bumpkin

Decided that I couldn't resist the sale price any longer (40% off for PS+) and downloaded Here They Lie. First impression? Unsettling as fuck. Second impression? Bummed that it has stealth sections. Also, no HUD to tell me anything about what I'm carrying or moreover, the health/condition of what I'm carrying is kind of annoying.

I also went back to play some more Battlezone using some of the tips people gave me. The ones about sparingly using boost and turning healthier shields to take hits when I was in trouble were very helpful. I actually got to the final volcano. And I thought I had it beat. And then another phase started and I got gang raped by a bunch of AI tanks that spawned (with no lives left). I was pissed; over an hour of play down the drain.

I also found myself feeling a bit curious about cinema mode and nostalgic for a game I hadn't played in years, so I fired up Resogun. Not to ask questions about non-VR games here, but how do you actually find the humans before they die (when it says "human detected")? It feels like total luck if you get to them in time; that's if you can actually find them.

Sorry, meant the Assembly. I have loading human. New umpressions?

I liked The Assembly when I played through it close to PSVR launch. In fact, I played it right after I finished Loading Human. The Assembly is a solid game. As far as the graphics go, it looks better than Loading Human. I played through the entire thing with Dualshock using regular FPS controls.

I just fired up the game again to see PS Pro and Move changes. Honestly, I do not see much difference in graphics. Granted, it has been a while since I played the game. As far as Move support goes, I prefer Dualshock because with Move, there is no option to move without teleporting. I just do not like teleporting controls for VR.

Sony really needs to make Move controller with an analog stick. I feel it is holding many games back.

kyser73

I liked The Assembly when I played through it close to PSVR launch. In fact, I played it right after I finished Loading Human. The Assembly is a solid game. As far as the graphics go, it looks better than Loading Human. I played through the entire thing with Dualshock using regular FPS controls.

I just fired up the game again to see PS Pro and Move changes. Honestly, I do not see much difference in graphics. Granted, it has been a while since I played the game. As far as Move support goes, I prefer Dualshock because with Move, there is no option to move without teleporting. I just do not like teleporting controls for VR.

Sony really needs to make Move controller with an analog stick. I feel it is holding many games back.

I think it's worth remembering that for Sony PSVR is a beta test for the commercial potential for VR. While it's a well made piece of kit that delivers a good VR experience, investing in the R&D but more importantly manufacturing tool-up for a suite of brand new peripherals probably wasn't going to fly with the top brass on the board.

I think the gun with Farpoint will improve things in this field, if only for shooting games, but I suspect a full blown Move won't happen as I doubt PSVR2 will use the same budget tracking system.

It's sad how the PSVR seems to be sold out everywhere and yet developers/publishers still don't seem too hot on it.

Its going to take time for them to fully jump on VR, the install base is less than a million right now.

Its not like there is a lack of games though and PSVR has reportedly nearly sold more the Rift and Vive combined (around 800,000 units) in just over 2 months and would have probably gone over a million if it wasn't for lack of stock, so PSVR is looking like its off to a really solid start.

Personally I think Batman is one of the best looking VR games on the OG PS4. It looks cleaner on the Pro of course, but it's very impressive on the base PS4. For my money the closest to a AAA presentation. As far as length goes, your valuation may be different from mine, but I thought it was easily worth the money. I tend not to mind if a game is short as long as I feel it's well crafted and makes blood use of its runtime.

Thanks, you have convinced me to drop some money on this :)

I also went back to play some more Battlezone using some of the tips people gave me. The ones about sparingly using boost and turning healthier shields to take hits when I was in trouble were very helpful. I actually got to the final volcano. And I thought I had it beat. And then another phase started and I got gang raped by a bunch of AI tanks that spawned (with no lives left). I was pissed; over an hour of play down the drain.

I also found myself feeling a bit curious about cinema mode and nostalgic for a game I hadn't played in years, so I fired up Resogun. Not to ask questions about non-VR games here, but how do you actually find the humans before they die (when it says "human detected")? It feels like total luck if you get to them in time; that's if you can actually find them.

Sorry to hear about BZ, dying at the volcano is a pain, lost a normal difficulty, medium length solo campaign the other day- left a shield generator active and the nemesis was guarding the AI core. Used up too many lives on them before the final bit.

IIRC, in Resogun the highlighted enemies ('keepers') point the way to the freed human when the last one is killed. There's a little ray of light which goes to the box the guy is in and opens it, I think.

Alienous

Amazon Spain seems to have some stock for the 5th of January, if you're willing to order now and wait. I ordered from them weeks ago and the unit turned up fine. The only issue is you'll need a EU-TO-UK outlet convertor or a spare power cable (the kind that came with the PS4 and PS3 Slim). And you may need to subscribe to Amazon Spain's free trial.

Amazon Italy is also an option. They get stock on January 3rd, it seems, two days earlier than Spain.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Argos or Tesco stock alerts are your only hope and you have to catch them in the 30-40 mins they go up.

Playstation Moves are the rarest fucking commercial item in the country right now too.

I think this is a common issue with this otherwise perfect VR game. I have the same problem and I've seen other people do as well.
Its so weird because its not losing tracking just.... rotating the thing so its not in the right place. Seems like some odd software drift bug in there.

I heard Dev units had a stereo vr media player, so they took it out for some reason. Also, what do you mean by a "highly detailed cinema thing"?

One of the first VR things completed, and its still one of the most impressive:
RHDL2YJ.jpg

WU8BL8u.jpg

The video screen illuminating the room, the texture detail, the fact you can play any 3D movie and have the full experience? Shit is TIGHT and runs off a smartphone. I guess the fact PSVR is a bit lower rez than the 1440p on GearVR would make it a bit shittier, but still. It's cool.

Sony can't even get the 3D video playing part right yet! Its bizarre. Or create a 360 wraparound version of the XMB. Something weird happened to the O/s team at Sony right after the Vita. Seems like there was a major brain drain.

So, anyone in here run into any VR sickness yet? I've played Thumper, Play Room VR, Tumble VR and others just fine, but RE7 and Robinson give me some motion sickness. Anyone been able to combat the feeling yet?

Joystick

Why is a male to female needed?

Copy-paste error - fixed, thanks!

I already have a hdmi switch... Trying to see if it works.. But I'm confused.. How do i set it up for the hdr part..

Use it as one input to two outputs. Connect as I describe below.

Can you link to the equipment.

What equipment? The cables? You need two premium (new) cables and two high-speed (older) cables of the required lengths, which you can buy from most stores (more expensive is not always better - spend as little as you can). What switch do you have? Is it 4K HDR @60Hz capable?

Setup: Connect the PS4 to the switch input (premium cable). Connect the switch output A to the PSVR PU input (older high-speed cable). Connect switch output B to the HDR TV HDMI input (premium cable, some TV's have only one HDR capable input and make sure HDR is enabled on it in the TV settings). Connect the PSVR PU output to another TV HDMI input (older high-speed cable).

Use: Select switch output A and the correct TV HDMI input for PSVR. Select switch output B and the HDR TV HDMI input for HDR.

Werewolves Within is such a great game. I had a blast playing it tonight. It is up there with Until Dawn, Rez, and Rigs as one of the best games on PSVR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom