• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

antibolo

Banned
Just noticed some nasty scratches on the right lens of my headset while cleaning it...

They're not noticeable during actual use but I'm super worried to get more of them now...

I wonder if they were caused by my glasses touching the lenses, or when cleaning them (with the microfibre cloth). What is more likely?

Really surprised by Scavengers Odyssey, I decided not to play it myself until later due to the less than favourable impressions from some but having just played it I really enjoyed it (for what it was). Expand on that as a typical corridor shooter with a faster turning circle, bigger set pieces and more interesting opponents, a few open areas to explore and I'd happily play a 8 to 10 hour story in that manner. I especially enjoyed the surface changes whilst fighting just wish i could have been more nimble and the enemies weren't mindless waves.

bumpkin

Really surprised by Scavengers Odyssey, I decided not to play it myself until later due to the less than favourable impressions from some but having just played it I really enjoyed it (for what it was). Expand on that as a typical corridor shooter with a faster turning circle, bigger set pieces and more interesting opponents, a few open areas to explore and I'd happily play a 8 to 10 hour story in that manner. I especially enjoyed the surface changes whilst fighting just wish i could have been more nimble and the enemies weren't mindless waves.
Seconded. SO and London Heist were the stars of VR Worlds as far as interactive experiences go. I would buy full-fleshed games of both at a high price!

III-V

Just noticed some nasty scratches on the right lens of my headset while cleaning it...

They're not noticeable during actual use but I'm super worried to get more of them now...

I wonder if they were caused by my glasses touching the lenses, or when cleaning them (with the microfibre cloth). What is more likely?

People with glasses have been reporting scratching their PSVR lenses.

Flandy

LoadingHumanCH1R3.jpg

Loading Human is $20 at Amazon and Gamestop

edit: Previously wrote Best Buy instead of Amazon

Flandy

Is it any good, though?
I think I've heard it's mediocre. I've got some Best Buy credit due to expire at the end of the month so I might just price match it and grab a copy there.

edit: Amazon has it for $20 NOT Best Buy. Which is why I'd be price matching

Loading Human is pretty good. There are some cool ideas there. The control scheme was hilarious at first, but it ended up growing on me. At $20, it is worth it in my opinion. The game felt like a mix of Moon and Prometheus (movies) in some way. If you liked games like Robinson Journey or The Assembly (I did), I would recommended it.

Also, Here They Lie is a good game imo. Yes, the main character walks too slow and the graphics looks rough. Still, the game is a real journey with some really cool moments and set pieces, and it is fairly long. The ending was good too. I believe that there are 2 endings, which are affected by you decisions throughout the game. If you enjoy David Lynch, H.P. Lovecraft, Here They Lie will be right up your alley.

Thanks a lot! Must been a real improvement on Pro then. The graphics of the demo were not as good as Jackal Assault and Battlefront. Gonna buy Eve asap ����

I have EVE Valkyrie, and I am not a fan. I much prefer Star Wars: X-Wing or even Call of Duty: Jackal. EVE is just too twitchy for me, and it is not fun to play. The universe seems like a generic Sci-Fi. The menu system is a confusing mess. Single player content is a joke. The game feels like a freemium game. You will be grinding the same 6 areas in MP for better ships and customization options over and over.

RIGs is a very similar game in many ways. Except, it is cheaper, the gameplay is much more fun, it does not have the freemium BS, and it just feels much more polished and finished.

Darknight

I tried searching but have failed miserably. Can someone find me a link to the guy selling the glass protector for the headset? It was a cushin or something so people wouldn't hit their glases on the screen.

Bumping this post. Can someone link?

Loading Human is pretty good. There are some cool ideas there. The control scheme was hilarious at first, but it ended up growing on me. At $20, it is worth it in my opinion. The game felt like a mix of Moon and Prometheus (movies) in some way. If you liked games like Robinson Journey or The Assembly (I did), I would recommended it.

Have you checked out the game after the pro patch? Supposedly, they added MOVE controls and improved graphical resolution. Are the changes worth recommending the game?

Have you checked out the game after the pro patch? Supposedly, they added MOVE controls and improved graphical resolution. Are the changes worth recommending the game?

I played the game at launch. Move support was in game day one. I think you are confusing Loading Human with The Assembly. At $20, I would recommend Loading Human if you liked adventure games like Robinson Journey and The Assembly.

bumpkin

Man... I was wiping off the lenses of my headset and noticed a hairline scratch on one of them. I never see it while I'm playing, but it still makes me sad. :(

Fired up Battlezone for the first time in a little while... I still suck it. Met my demise about halfway through an "easy" difficulty campaign when a Nemesis made it its mission to end me in one shot when I had no lives to respawn with. I'm pretty much convinced I will never finish a campaign.

Anyone got any pro tips for success in BZ?

I have EVE Valkyrie, and I am not a fan. I much prefer Star Wars: X-Wing or even Call of Duty: Jackal. EVE is just too twitchy for me, and it is not fun to play. The universe seems like a generic Sci-Fi. The menu system is a confusing mess. Single player content is a joke. The game feels like a freemium game. You will be grinding the same 6 areas in MP for better ships and customization options over and over.

RIGs is a very similar game in many ways. Except, it is cheaper, the gameplay is much more fun, it does not have the freemium BS, and it just feels much more polished and finished.

Okay, Thanks for your impressions. I've ordered it already. Got it for 34,99. Hope I'll like it then.

Man... I was wiping off the lenses of my headset and noticed a hairline scratch on one of them. I never see it while I'm playing, but it still makes me sad. :(

Fired up Battlezone for the first time in a little while... I still suck it. Met my demise about halfway through an "easy" difficulty campaign when a Nemesis made it its mission to end me in one shot when I had no lives to respawn with. I'm pretty much convinced I will never finish a campaign.

Same problem with BZ. Even on Easy I'm having a hard time.

Wehrwolf

I wrote a review for Lethal VR: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/12/20/lethal-vr/ (Suffice to say I strongly warn against a purchase!)

I also have ones up for Rez Infinite and Crystal Rift. Got one for Batman coming as well.

What, it''s been over a week since the last review? Guess the honeymoon is over, obviously you're bored with it, probably already sold it or threw it away.

Just kidding, nice collection of reviews. Just felt like giving you a hard time.

Jimmy_liv

I dont wear glasses and nobody but me and my wife has used mine. Noticed 2 small hairlines on the left lense and 1 on the right lense - im guessing its the microfiber cloth.
Im gutted but fortunately you cant see them whilst wearing it.

I've now bought a lense pen and urge everyone else to do likewise.

Apologies if any/all are obvious:

Use boost sparingly in combat; it drains your shields rapidly.

If one of your shields fails (there's an audio cue), turn to point a working shield to the direction you're taking damage from and find some cover.

Always take the opportunity to hack buildings; every zone has one hackable base in addition to the radar tower. When the mission starts a white arrow will show on your radar for a few seconds to give you the direction to it. The important ones are power relays, always hack these - if you do the enemy power level will reduce at the end of the mission instead of increasing. You can keep the enemy tanks at a low level and stop the nemesis tanks from spawning.

The latest update added green health crystals to single-player. Shoot them to recover lost health.

It might be worth playing a campaign on co-op before trying to complete it solo. Most times I've finished a campaign at least one other person in the team has also got to the end. The final fight is tough and it makes a big difference if you've got someone there who knows what's coming.

I can't beat the volcano on either normal or easy, can reach it comfortably on a short campaign but once there the endless enemies do me in every time. Not played online yet, which I want to do once I have beat the game once by myself.

I have a hypothesis on how to do it but haven't had time to give it a try yet. The map isn't go from point A to point B (that was essentially what I was doing wrong so was massively underpowered) it is there for you to pick up as much data as possible so you can improve the tank, focus on shields and health first then focus on upgrading the weapons. Essentially treat it a bit like grinding for a boss fight in a JRPG. Only problem I have found is that I'm not really sure what is the best way to collect lots of data because it isn't obvious but will figure that out soon. What I know works with the heavy tank is fight with your back against the wall so scout the area before starting an assault, you have little mobility so use this to your advantage as the worst thing is to be flanked or have a turret pop up behind you.

I can't beat the volcano on either normal or easy, can reach it comfortably on a short campaign but once there the endless enemies do me in every time. Not played online yet, which I want to do once I have beat the game once by myself.

I have a hypothesis on how to do it but haven't had time to give it a try yet. The map isn't go from point A to point B (that was essentially what I was doing wrong so was massively underpowered)

This might be a dumb question, but how many shield generators did you take out on your way to the volcano?

I aim to take out all of them, and only leave one if it's too far off the best route.

Leaving any shield generators active when you get to the volcano massively increases the difficulty of the last level. Playing solo and trying to take out the bases with constantly spawning enemies can easily result in losing a life.

Mendrox

I dont wear glasses and nobody but me and my wife has used mine. Noticed 2 small hairlines on the left lense and 1 on the right lense - im guessing its the microfiber cloth.
Im gutted but fortunately you cant see them whilst wearing it.

I've now bought a lense pen and urge everyone else to do likewise.

Every headset has both of these "scratches". It's just the lenses.

This might be a dumb question, but how many shield generators did you take out on your way to the volcano?

I aim to take out all of them, and only leave one if it's too far off the best route.

Leaving any shield generators active when you get to the volcano massively increases the difficulty of the last level. Playing solo and trying to take out the bases with constantly spawning enemies can easily result in losing a life.

Usually about two, by the time I get to the third the nemesis is usually on or around it.

Usually about two, by the time I get to the third the nemesis is usually on or around it.

I guess it depends if you're playing on short, medium or long! Completing two out of three generators on a short campaign will give you a fighting chance at the volcano (but still way harder than doing them all); completing only two out of five or two out of six will make the final level really, really hard.

If you're lucky with the random hackable buildings and get a few power relays you can keep the enemy power level below the point where the nemesis spawns. This is the main reason for always completing the hack before finishing the main objective on a level.

I guess it depends if you're playing on short, medium or long! Completing two out of three generators on a short campaign will give you a fighting chance at the volcano (but still way harder than doing them all); completing only two out of five or two out of six will make the final level really, really hard.

If you're lucky with the random hackable buildings and get a few power relays you can keep the enemy power level below the point where the nemesis spawns. This is the main reason for always completing the hack before finishing the main objective on a level.

Thanks for the tips.

I tried the demo of Driveclub VR again last night, this time in the open top sports car and for the first time felt that I was going to puke, in fact I only managed a lap before I had to pull my headset off. I had no problem with the cars where I was sat inside with a roof over my head though.
I'm now at a stage where I have played all the demo's (on the bundled UK disc), completed VR Worlds, watched the animated short VR film (I really enjoyed that despite the image being a bit fidgety occasionally) and would like to see more experiences like that in VR. I found I couldn't handle to much of RE7 Beginning Hour or Rush of Blood demo...no problems with nausea, just felt I was about to have a heart attack!

So I'm looking for new VR experiences or games to buy, I do fancy Batman but I hear it's quite short and the graphics are a bit compromised on the OG PS4, I'm pretty terrible at FPS...so any recommendations?

Hey guys, I just got my PSVR yesterday and am very excited to be part of this community finally. I've had some amazing experiences so far playing REZ and Thumper, but I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly where and how to position the camera so that it accurately tracks my move controllers.

I bought Job Simulator but every time I reach below my waist, or too far to the left or right, the move controllers loose tracking and float off away from my control. I can reach as high as I want and the tracking is ok, but there seems to be a giant dead zone to my sides and below my waist. If I lower the camera to see more of my legs then I worry it'll loose tracking on my head. My PSVR is a refurbished pre-owned one from Gamestop with very little manuals or instructions so any help about this would be greatly appreciated.

Any experience with just the controller has been pretty awesome, but I'm dying to get these move controllers working properly. Also, as a side note question about these move controllers: what the hell is up with charging them? My pre-owned bundle didn't even come with charging cables for them. I had to dig out an old PS3 controller charging cable but it doesn't even seem to be charging properly (it dies the second I unplug it). What is the OG charging cable and where can I get one?

Grinchy

Banned
Hey guys, I just got my PSVR yesterday and am very excited to be part of this community finally. I've had some amazing experiences so far playing REZ and Thumper, but I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly where and how to position the camera so that it accurately tracks my move controllers.

I bought Job Simulator but every time I reach below my waist, or too far to the left or right, the move controllers loose tracking and float off away from my control. I can reach as high as I want and the tracking is ok, but there seems to be a giant dead zone to my sides and below my waist. If I lower the camera to see more of my legs then I worry it'll loose tracking on my head. My PSVR is a refurbished pre-owned one from Gamestop with very little manuals or instructions so any help about this would be greatly appreciated.

Any experience with just the controller has been pretty awesome, but I'm dying to get these move controllers working properly. Also, as a side note question about these move controllers: what the hell is up with charging them? My pre-owned bundle didn't even come with charging cables for them. I had to dig out an old PS3 controller charging cable but it doesn't even seem to be charging properly (it dies the second I unplug it). What is the OG charging cable and where can I get one?

You kinda have to learn to look at the camera and imagine the cone of vision that it has. If you're too close to the camera, reaching your arm out to the side is obviously going to be way too far to the side for it to still see your controller.

If the camera is pointed too high up, then it can't see far enough down for you to bend down and reach for something.

Here's a guide they put up. It basically tells you to have the camera at like your eye level, but angled downward toward your chest.

somme

What, it''s been over a week since the last review? Guess the honeymoon is over, obviously you're bored with it, probably already sold it or threw it away.

Just kidding, nice collection of reviews. Just felt like giving you a hard time.

Haha, I've actually been horrendously ill over Christmas, which is never fun! Shall be back to reviewing tomorrow. Cheers for reading. :)

Kyolux

I'll add to the Loading Human worth it at that price. It's a game that does a few things I haven't seen tried anywhere else yet.

Make sure you get that romantic dinner set up right. :p

SuperJay

PSVR appears to be sold out everywhere where I am looking (Indiana) and all the online retailers say out of stock.

Any tips on where I can find a bundle? Did Sony under-stock or was Christmas just that gangbusters for PSVR? (I'm guess a little of both)

cakefoo

Which cloth did you get? I think they shipped three different ones.

Really need to get a lens pen but the one everybody is recommending (Nikon) has been sold-out for months on amazon.
Just get a rocket blower and Kimwipes. The blower is the most gentle way to remove debris, and disposable wipes will insure that you won't be transferring oils and dirt from the previous cleaning.

Any recommendations on some of the best PS VR exclusives? I think I will be getting one shortly.

I am already planning to buy RIGS. Anything else? I already have a Vive so I am looking specifically for games I can only get on PS4.

Maligna

Banned
Any recommendations on some of the best PS VR exclusives? I think I will be getting one shortly.

I am already planning to buy RIGS. Anything else? I already have a Vive so I am looking specifically for games I can only get on PS4.

Until Dawn and Batman. Star Wars Battlefront Mission.

Alienous

If anyone in the UK is looking for a PlayStation VR at retail price Amazon Spain seems to have a few. I ordered from them some weeks ago and it arrived just fine. Had to use a PS3 power cable for the processing box instead of the European one that came with it.

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01JLPUDBU/

You can use your regular Amazon account, but you may have to sign up to Prime for Amazon Spain. It's a free trial and you can cancel it before it renews.

Listonosh

LoadingHumanCH1R3.jpg

Loading Human is $20 at Amazon and Gamestop

edit: Previously wrote Best Buy instead of Amazon

This was an absolute puke fest for me. This and the other first person adventure game, which I can't remember the name of right now. It worries me since I was excited about RE7 but with this much motion sickness for walking games, I'm not sure that I'll be able to stomach it.

Alienous

This was an absolute puke fest for me. This and the other first person adventure game, which I can't remember the name of right now. It worries me since I was excited about RE7 but with this much motion sickness for walking games, I'm not sure that I'll be able to stomach it.

Why not try the RE7 demo? It has VR functionality.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry

Try the RE7 demo. It has various comfort settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom