• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

majik13

Not sure if anyone's seen this yet, but it's a new screenshot for Megaton Rainfall, posted on the dev's blog a few days ago.

01.png

Looks pretty great!

Wows that looks like a pretty big improvemnt over whats been shown before, if these arent bullshots or comcet art, which is possible.

goonergaz

This is simple, really. You are breaking immersion. Forget the loud bass, the overpowered amps, get a good set of flat cans and you want to be able to hear NUANCE directionally correct, not hot garbage that gives incorrect audio positioning.

I use my amp just for bass - it's great to add a little punch to the headphones

And what you're not understanding is when I turn my head, not the camera, this is still be acounted for and the volume and effects are being changed on the fly from all aplicable speakers. Its working no different than it does with headphones. And on MY setup, its working better.

So your 7.1 setup is doing the binaural thing? Cool - I never knew that

Picked up a PSVR finally on Wednesday last week. As I was finishing ringing up, the cashier was talking to the electronics lady who said "Im so damn tired of people calling to see if we got any in stock" . It wasn't me, but man to think it's that hard to find!

Starting off with Star Wars, Sports Bar, Fruit Ninja, Driveclub and Pixelshooter. Those Playroom games are also awesome, and I hope theres an expansion for them soon.

My biggest hope is that there are some full experience games that I am familiar with in the pipeline. FFXV could have been a real seller for VR if the experience was available day 1. Serious Sam has me very excited, as does Ace Combat. I was let down a bit by Tomb Raider's VR mode, and Batman's didn't intrigue me much. I'll be buying Rush of Blood today, as it's been said that it's a great comparison to House of the Dead. I'm hoping more info about Tekken's VR becomes available. I'd love to be able to have a spectator's view of the fight.

I really wish 90's Sega existed today and on VR. There are so many of Sega's titles that could have made the leap to VR and the format really lends itself to Arcade-style games.

majik13

And what you're not understanding is when I turn my head, not the camera, this is still be acounted for and the volume and effects are being changed on the fly from all aplicable speakers. Its working no different than it does with headphones. And on MY setup, its working better.

How do you have your speakers setup to give postional 3d audio relative to wear your head is looking? Also dont think 7.1 can give sound above and below you like 3D audio can.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
How do you have your speakers setup to give postional 3d audio relative to wear your head is looking? Also dont think 7.1 can give sound above and below you like 3D audio can.

I don't understand what people dont get about this. If 3D audio can be determined by your headset and pushed to your headphones, it can just as easily be pushed to your speakers. Furthermore 2 of my speakers are directly overhead, built into my ceiling. Sound from above isn't an issue.

Headphones aren't magic.

Mosse

Neo Member
I don't understand what people dont get about this. If 3D audio can be determined by your headset and pushed to your headphones, it can just as easily be pushed to your speakers. Furthermore 2 of my speakers are directly overhead, built into my ceiling. Sound from above isn't an issue.

Headphones aren't magic.

Well with headphones you have two audio sources that is on your head and follows your movement. With speakers you have more sources but they are in fixed spots in your room. Binaural audio is made for headphones and are supposed to mimic how your ear detects sound, that's why you have one audio source for every ear.

Vr games is made with this in mind and is optimized for headphones since the breakout box is doing the 3d audio proccesing to the headset. so if you're pluggin your speakers in the headset you're only getting the stereo sound that is meant for headphones

I have not testet ps vr with speakers, so maybe it actually works better for you. But in my experience with non vr games and audio recording/sound design. I have a hard time seeing how it would be more immersive with surround since binaural audio is made for immersion.

I can see how the sound quality could be better with speakers vs headphones depending on your gear. But a good pair of headphones should be more immersive

I cant play Resident Evil or Until Dawn ROB with headphones on, its just too scary and overwhelming. Playing it with speakers helps break the immersion enough for me that I can play them. The whole experience is just not nearly as convincing even on a solid 7.1 setup.

Hale-XF11

I've been waiting for this game for ages. Hopefully it delivers!

Fingers crossed! If it plays as good as it's looking, I think we're in for a real treat.

Wows that looks like a pretty big improvemnt over whats been shown before, if these arent bullshots or comcet art, which is possible.

I know, I was kinda shocked. Looks like the real deal though to me. Seems they've been improving on a number of things and even hired new artists to re-vamp everything. Maybe they got a budget boost or something.

My most hyped game for VR, I hope they have a freeflight mode and that the scale is still galaxy+

Feeling pretty hyped myself. Freeflight mode would be perfect for this game.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I checked out the Jaunt app. I thought it looked awful. I imagine that has to do with my garbage internet connection. Wish there were a way to select a video resolution and just download the files, I don't mind the wait.

Headphones aren't magic.

I'm not 100% sure that every game works this way (I don't think the RE7 demo does, for example), but I am absolutely certain London Heist did. I'll probably put it back in later to confirm.

Basically all the game needs to do is center the audio on the position of the PS camera instead on the direction the headset is looking. It's pretty simple.

valeu

the theme you get when you pre-oder gnog is pretty great. all the buttons are different colors and the clicking sound as you scroll through icons is bizarre. hope this game comes out soon

Great day with VR today. Yesterday my uncle, aunt and parents, all in their seventies, flew the X-Wing mission. Today my cousin brought his children over and we all watched his 12 year old fly the X-Wing and then do a few races in Driveclub, which I only bought the day before. This evening I spent 2 hours earning stars in Driveclub, in the living room while the old folks watched some shite.

I had hoped we'd play some Keep Talking, but it turned out the old folks were just too old for a game based on testing your ability to communicate. On the other hand I was very glad to have Eagle Flight, as it meant my dad, who doesn't have great control of his hands, could still experience, and self direct, a thorough VR game.

Driveclub's an interesting one. It took some time to warm to the idea of crashes putting the engine on hiatus, but I think I'll start to love that it forces you to drive properly. I knew from the demo that the graphics made an unfortunate trade off, prioritising effects over resolution. I'm used to it now. Crucially it's a fun and full featured racer, something worth dropping hours at a time into, and I'm hungry for that.

I'm disappointed, mostly in myself, that I haven't stuck with the cockpit view. I've been racing in third person for too many years to do without the extra information you get from further out. And it's still super like this, but it bypasses a huge amount of the game's value (the experience of verisimilitude, and these gloriously detailed cockpits). It also begs the question of why own and play in VR. People have started commenting on losing the sense of VR, and for me playing this game in third person is just like playing on a huge, really low res screen. I'm giving serious thought to picking up a wheel as a means of bringing myself back into the cockpit and close to the action again.

I'm a bit lost in the structure, it doesn't really seem like there is one ... Some things are locked, but there are so many things that aren't, I could really do with being forced to completely own a car or a track before moving on. An odd thing to complain about probably.

I looked online but it seemed pretty dead, is there much action to be had?

PSVR was a big hit at the Xmas party I brought it to today. Multiple runs with Ocean Descent and The Kitchen. Others tried the X-Wing mission and London Heist.
Good stuff, lots of laughs and 2 probable purchases once they become available.

majik13

Headphones aren't magic.

Thats what i dont get, the 3d audio only comes from/outputs from the 3.5 jack on the cord to the headset, so im just trying to figure out how you are getting that to go to your speakers. Unless you rigged something somehow out of the PU unit. Also the effect only really works binuarally, so not sure how it would translate to more than 2 speakers.

Just got like 5 family members who asked where can they find the psvr in stock after my Christmas party lol.

Than after posting videos on social media had even more people wanting to find one. This thing sells once ppl see others having a blast with it. Was so fun

bumpkin

Just got like 5 family members who asked where can they find the psvr in stock after my Christmas party lol.

Than after posting videos on social media had even more people wanting to find one. This thing sells once ppl see others having a blast with it. Was so fun
It really is one of those things that you have to experience to appreciate. The live demo at Best Buy was what sold me and I haven't been disappointed.

JoshHood

Total longshot, but I don't suppose anyone here has seen any PSVRs in stock in the U.K.? Finally in a position to pick one up, but can't find one anywhere except +£150 on eBay.

Headphones aren't magic.
The problem with speakers is that they can't precisely position objects in 3 space. They can locate a sound at any position where a speaker is located, but they have to approximate everywhere else because they can't exactly control what each ear should hear as the sound moves around. The sound that is supposed to go to the left ear can be heard by the right and vice versa.

Alienous

Total longshot, but I don't suppose anyone here has seen any PSVRs in stock in the U.K.? Finally in a position to pick one up, but can't find one anywhere except +£150 on eBay.

For curiosity sake I've been searching and I haven't seen any. Keep an eye on hotUKdeals.com - if one pops up someone will put it on there.

I know Amazon Spain are selling some units at the standard price but with supposedly superficial damage, and covered by their return policy, but it probably isn't worth the risk for hardware like this.

Mosse

Neo Member
So... Just like sounds in real life then?

If someone is standing to your left in real life and is talking to you. You hear it with your left ear. If you look the other way you hear it with your right ear since thay are standing at the same spot. In vr if you turn around the 3d audio sends the sound from the left channel to the right channel when you turn around, this works since the headphones is on your ears and turn with you. If you use speakers the 3d audio will send the sound from your left channel to the right. But since your speakers is not turning with you, the sound will go to the right speaker which is always to your right. So with headphones the person talking is in the same place and you are turning, with speakers the person talking is also moving

This is how it should work if you plug your speakers in the vr headset. Maybe it works different if you take the sound from the socialscreen instead, but then you wont get the 3d audio from the proccesing box

I think some games have options for speaker setups that should work better for speakers, but I still think headphones is prefered

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Sony should revive Jumping Flash for VR. Its the perfect candidate. It likely couldn't find any success in today's traditional market but as a pioneer for VR it could do well. Plus the simplistic visuals would be easy to push. Seems like a nobrainer.

Quonny

Got one for Christmas from my wife!

She didn't know it needed the camera. I didn't complain, but I did tell her later, she almost cried because she felt bad. I was like wtf, it's fine! Gotta go get a camera tomorrow, but I'm excited to join you all.

So... Just like sounds in real life then?

No, because in real life the sounds come from the actual correct position. With speakers that can only happen if a sound has to come from one of the speaker locations. If a sound has to come from a position that has no speaker, like a foot away from your left ear, then it can only be approximated. Speakers can't make the sound wave originate from that spot which would be needed for both ears to hear the correct thing.

Headphones on the other hand can give each ear the exact sound they would hear regardless of where the sound needs to come from.

This is how it should work if you plug your speakers in the vr headset. Maybe it works different if you take the sound from the socialscreen instead, but then you wont get the 3d audio from the proccesing box
The processor box is a good point. If your sound isn't coming from the wired connection to that box, you aren't getting any 3D audio processing at all. From the FAQ it is pretty clear that you need a wired connection yo the processor box to get the full 3D effect.
Q: What is 3D audio?
3D audio simulates the effect of audio arriving at your ears from different directions and distances to more closely mimic the behavior of sound in real life. Not only does PS VR create sounds coming from front, behind, left and right, but also above and below. This type of audio greatly enhances the feeling of immersion and presence in VR over traditional audio systems like 7.1 surround sound.

Q: Do I need new headphones to experience 3D audio?
No, any wired stereo headphones or wired earbuds can support 3D audio. Stereo headphones are included with PS VR, but you can also use your preferred audio headsets if they feature a standard 3.5mm male connector.

Q: Are surround sound headphones better for PS VR?
No, any surround sound generated by the headphones themselves will interfere with the 3D audio from the PS VR headset. It is recommended to turn off surround sound mode or use standard wired stereo headphones that do not use surround sound.

Q: Can I use my PULSE wireless headset or other wireless headsets with PS VR?
Yes, but you should connect the wireless headset using a standard 3.5mm wired cable. A wireless audio connection will not work with PS VR.

cakefoo

I have a Vive, so feel free to correct me if it's different on PSVR.

The VR player is facing the TV. A bird chirps to the player's right. The right speaker channel chirps. The player hears it in their right ear. The sounds match so far. But now the player turns to the right, facing the bird. The bird chirps, and the player hears it in their left ear. Why? Because the bird is on the TV, which is now to the left of the player.

Speakers only make sense when you're facing the TV.

For what it's worth, all it would take to support surround sound would be to only account for lateral player movement and ignore rotational movement.

23qwerty

Got one for Christmas from my wife!

She didn't know it needed the camera. I didn't complain, but I did tell her later, she almost cried because she felt bad. I was like wtf, it's fine! Gotta go get a camera tomorrow, but I'm excited to join you all.
Do you have two move controllers too? Those are pretty necessary as well.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So, I just messed around with the VR that my wife got me for Christmas after she and my daughter went to bed... OH MY GOD, I'M IN LOVE. I had the biggest grin on my face playing some of the demos: Kitchen was awesome, and I got crazy addicted to Rigs. I'm picking that up tomorrow for sure, and no motion sickeness!

That being said, I got some rough nausea playing the RE7 demo, which is worrying considering that's my "killer app". Will play around with it some more, maybe end up using the 30 degree turning angle, as it was definitely the turning the was screwing with me.

Also, did anyone notice that the demo was really bright in VR? I found the house much less scary vs playing on TV as it seemed so illuminated.

You sure it was the turning? Did you strafe at all? Because strafing is far more problematic for me.

I was lucky enough to receive a PSVR for Christmas from my girlfriend, I'm playing on an OG PS4 and with just a DS4 at the moment. I have the demo disc and VR Worlds and I have been totally blown away. Prior to this I'd only ever experienced a 360 short movie experience in Gear VR which I hadn't been that impressed with. Ocean Descent was my first PS experience on Christmas Day, I felt like a kid again seeing Mario 64 for the first time. I've played most of the games and demo's on the discs now, Eve gave me a slight feeling of nausea, I was okay with Driveclub but a little disappointed with the IQ. I found Battlezone too much of a sensory overload, tanks, turrets, aerial assault and swarms so I gave up on that. Love the look of Wayward Sky but had real tracking issues when I tried to move the lever in the crane cabin.

I have a few questions - what is the best experience or game outside of VR Worlds that I should get...for both fun and immersion? How much of an impact does the PS Pro have on the VR IQ (I know it's on a game by game basis)? Is it worth splashing more money on that just for an improved VR experience when I still only have a non HDR 1080P TV with no plans to change that anytime soon? That said, the IQ on most of the games I've tried so far is far better than I ever expected even with the OG PS4. What are the upcoming VR games of 2017 to look out for?

Apenheul

I have a few questions - what is the best experience or game outside of VR Worlds that I should get...for both fun and immersion? How much of an impact does the PS Pro have on the VR IQ (I know it's on a game by game basis)? Is it worth splashing more money on that just for an improved VR experience when I still only have a non HDR 1080P TV with no plans to change that anytime soon? That said, the IQ on most of the games I've tried so far is far better than I ever expected even with the OG PS4. What are the upcoming VR games of 2017 to look out for?

Generally speaking PS4 Pro versions of PSVR games basically have better anti-aliasing which in practical terms comes down to a few extra meters (in depth) of sharpness. If you're spending a lot of time playing VR games it's definitely worth the upgrade IMO, otherwise I'd say stick to the OG PS$. In Batman VR it also removes the blurriness around the eyes.

I personally don't have any 2017 PSVR games on my radar (that's the reason I came into this thread) so hopefully someone else can point out what's coming.

I'd go with Until Dawn, goty contender for me and it's pretty cheap.

2017 there's RE7 (the demo is really good), Farpoint, Ace Combat 7 and GT7 for the big games.

For more info check out this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044658

Enjoyed Battlefront a lot. COD mission also very nice
. Thinking about buying Eve Valkyrie but didn't really like the demo ( might be a bad showcase for the full game). Blurry demo graphics certainly didn't help.

Anyone who played all three and can compare Battlefront and COD with Eve?
Thanks.

somme

If any newcomers to PSVR want some reviews for games I've written a load over here: https://psvr-reviews.com/

I haven't been able to play much myself over Christmas as I've been ill. Looking forward to Resi 7 in January, though I do wonder how long I'll actually be able to cope.

Also thinking about getting a PS4Pro, as a lot of people have said it improves PSVR. How big are the improvements? I don't have a 4K TV yet so would really only be getting it for PSVR improvements.

Alienous

Just played some Batman VR and left it feeling the slightest bit unglued from reality.

I don't think the tracking on my left hand move control was 1:1, but I was excited to play so I jumped in and got used to it. But minutes after turning it off I felt weirdly disconnected from my left hand, like it wasn't where I thought it should be. For example, I reached for a cabinet handle and I grasped just in-front of it.

Looking at my actual hand while moving it seemed to alleviate the feeling pretty quickly.

This is the coolest weirdest thing ever.

Mendrox

No you don't understand 3D sound. It's way different from your setup. Your setup cannot simulate sounds being directly near you. That is the whole reason that the processor unit even exits (except for the second picture on the TV), because the box does the 3D sound and it's imo the most important part of many games like London Heist or Summer Lesson where you pick up phones and hold them to your ear etc.

It's the wrong way to play VR

No you don't understand 3D sound. It's way different from your setup. Your setup cannot simulate sounds being directly near you. That is the whole reason that the processor unit even exits (except for the second picture on the TV), because the box does the 3D sound and it's imo the most important part of many games like London Heist or Summer Lesson where you pick up phones and hold them to your ear etc.

It's the wrong way to play VR

Agreed. To reiterate the point I made yesterday, the TV HDMI output will be the TV POV. Not using the headset audio is not only missing out on the 3D audio, but will also be rendered from the wrong position in any game which uses the social screen for asymmetric multiplayer.

RoyalFool

Banned
Also thinking about getting a PS4Pro, as a lot of people have said it improves PSVR. How big are the improvements? I don't have a 4K TV yet so would really only be getting it for PSVR improvements.

I picked up a Pro just for VR and don't regret it. While not every game benefits from it yet, the additional clarity in the games optimized for it to date make me think it'll be a must-own going forward. But you know, I wouldn't recommend buying one just for VR unless you forsee VR being your main gaming avenue, the games are just as fun with the jaggies.

Oh, and thanks for all the reviews. Hoping you can cover Rigs and Werewolves within at some point to get your take on them,

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I just tried some headphones and no, the 7.1 speakers are more convincing. Resident Evil even gives options for wide dynamic range, the sounds of squeaking wood floors, to doors closing to the wind are all more convincing on my speakers. Also, it still takes into account which direction you're looking, the 3d effect is still there.

Sorry, but no way I'll believe this.

..../snip All in, all considered, by far the best looking VR game I've yet played. I wish the player cast a shadow, but that's a small nitpick. Definitely felt that the lower rendering resolution of the Kitchen demo represented a serious downgrade, over running Beginning Hour on a Pro. On a Pro, you can tell you're playing a lower resolution VR game, but all the effects they've put together added up to a fantastic atmosphere. There is no doubt in my mind that Capcom have built the RE engine, and every environment in the game for VR. Absolutely amazing work, and I can't believe I'll be playing a AAA full length VR title in my favorite franchise in just a few
The shining star so far has been Playroom VR. Its amazing. My wife who has never 'just' had fun while wearing a VR headset loved it, and loves how c
All in all, the PS4 pro seems to be doing what an entry level VR PC (GTX 970 ish) can do with a Rift. That's really impressive. $900 all in is still an expensive entry into the world of VR for anyone without a PS4, but to get an appropriate PC, head set, and motion controller setup, would set you back in the ball park of $1700.

Granted you'll have better motion controls, but that's really the only area where I think PSVR falls behind. The software line up so far is great, certainly on par if not better than what you've got for PC.
Just wanted to say thanks for the great comparison. It wasn't TL;DR at all, and I know how frustrating it can be when you post something that you're sure is meaty enough to start a conversation but gets lost in the stream of rapid updates. This was a great read and it's reasssuring as a PSVR owner to hear the positive perspective from someone that owns multiple hardwares. I love the tech, but my main worry now is in the disparity of opinions from developers trying to figure out what an appropriate VR experience is! It's a little worrying. Some developers want VR to be small experiences within a primary flat game because of cost and audience fatigue. GT sport is a good example.

Then you have beautifully insane devs like Capcom who take the risk of making an entire game that can be played in VR or not in VR, which is my preference.

Then you have devs that feel VR can/should ONLY be smaller one-off experiences like Job simulator or I expect you to die, both FANTASTIC games, but definitely NOT what I want out of all VR.

Then there are the troubling words in a recent Ueda ( The Last Guardian)interview about how he's interested in VR but assumed VR should only be enjoyed in first person. From that perspective, he said, titles like The Last Guardian would be too difficult to do, which led to his uncertainty. It read like he never experienced third person VR, and from that couldn't imagine how incredible his specific games could be from a different perspective. Could you imagine Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, or The Last Guardian from the perspective of that allumette free short on PSVR??? Or some of the stuff in the playroom? It's feel like devs aren't talking to each other about what works, and that's concerning.

And lastly there are the issues of locomotion and player sickness. It's perplexing. Some games like RIGS, Battlezone, and RE7 have figured out how to capture traditional movement with teleportation, while others feel like teleportation is the only way to ensure that the audience doesn't get sick. Can u imagine playing skyrim by teleporting g around? Me either.

Regarding the PSVR controller, you mentioned this this was probably the biggest thing holding PSVR behind the big guys. One thing that I can't understand is why the MOVE+NAV controller isn't even an option. A wider range of locomotion + comfort settings seems to be the way to go.

Either way, great post and hopefully this kicks off a good conversation!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Trying to find one sodding Move controller in the UK to finish my PSVR setup is driving me insane. Paying these mad £35 and up prices would make my skin crawl off and make me a skeleton.

Being 300 miles away from my PS4 and looking at a PSVR box all Christmas has also been driving me mad.

I wish Sony was more aggressively courting all the Vive games and the like. Accounting should be on PSVR and all that sort of stuff. Certainly hope the Rick and Morty game makes it for instance. Ignoring a probably soon to be 1-million PSVR market seems a bit dim.

Mendrox

I just tried some headphones and no, the 7.1 speakers are more convincing. Resident Evil even gives options for wide dynamic range, the sounds of squeaking wood floors, to doors closing to the wind are all more convincing on my speakers. Also, it still takes into account which direction you're looking, the 3d effect is still there.

I don't believe you because the 3D sound only works with the processing unit. It is different and you are missing out imo. It CANT take into account how sounds is directly near you. How would that be possible?

Alienous

Trying to find one sodding Move controller in the UK to finish my PSVR setup is driving me insane. Paying these mad £35 and up prices would make my skin crawl off and make me a skeleton.

Being 300 miles away from my PS4 and looking at a PSVR box all Christmas has also been driving me mad.

I wish Sony was more aggressively courting all the Vive games and the like. Accounting should be on PSVR and all that sort of stuff. Certainly hope the Rick and Morty game makes it for instance. Ignoring a probably soon to be 1-million PSVR market seems a bit dim.

One controller? Do you have one already?

If so you might want to look at selling that one then getting a dual pack. It might work out cheaper.

The prices are extortionate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom