• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman76

Is there dynamic resolution on re7 psvr? Seems like the image fluctuates a lot for me. At times it's decently sharp but then immediately turns blurry. And this is just me standing still and staring straight ahead.

I tried playroom vr and the kitchen off the demo disk. Despite the jaggies on the kitchen demo that actually kind of seemed sharper and much easier on the eyes.

Neither of those games seemed to have the same issue so I don't think it has anything to do with adjusting my headset or other things setting pupillary distance?

Note I'm on ps4 pro on 1080p tv if that matters

Im also on pro and i get the same situations as you. Sometimes it gradually sharpens when i stay in the same spot, for example.

Would you all recommend getting the VR worlds bundle, or wait and get the Until Dawn one? I definitely want to play Until Dawn, but I know it can be picked up separately for pretty cheap nowadays.

VR Worlds is a pretty solid collection and as you say, ROB is pretty cheap now anyway. Grab it while you can!

somme

I used mine on a normal PS4 for about a month before I bought a Pro and it makes a huge difference in most games from what I can tell. Rigs and Eve Valkyrie look particularly nice.

This chart is pretty handy

Cheers for that.

Would you all recommend getting the VR worlds bundle, or wait and get the Until Dawn one? I definitely want to play Until Dawn, but I know it can be picked up separately for pretty cheap nowadays.

I'd get the VR Worlds bundle, as Rush of Blood is, as you said, cheap to pick up on its own.

Theonik

I have the Asian version of DOA Extreme 3. Do I have to make a HK account in order to grab the free PSVR DLC? How hard is that to do?
You do. It's quite easy to do. Buying things is a bit harder like paid DLC. But currently the DLC is not available in the Asian version but most DLC for it has been delayed so far so it might show up eventually.

ranmafan

Well I just couldn't hold back anymore. After last weeks fail of getting one in Japan and the hopes of getting one at a store looking grim for the next few months, I went looking around the auction sites and such and found one at a semi reasonable price brand new unopened so I decided to get it. Part of me wanted to wait but I really want to experience it now with all the excitement lately. Got me RE7 ready to go, along with the us demo disk and the dlc stuff for battlefront and doa. Hoping to get batman and eve Valkyrie soon too. Worlds looks nice too, might get that sometime if I see it on sale. But certainly looking forward to enjoying this this weekend finally. Been waiting decades for a real good vr experience and this should be what I've been waiting for from all I've heard from. Can't wait!

Im also on pro and i get the same situations as you. Sometimes it gradually sharpens when i stay in the same spot, for example.

Pro here too and I see the same thing. Usually happens when the game switches/loads from one large area to another. Very Minor Spoiler
Like when you go to the docks from the outside/trailer area

Just got an email from Sony saying the PSVR bundle is making a return this month (and in the link, actually says next week):

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...bundles-coming-this-month/?emcid=em-ph-101753

Also, looks like there's two choices for the bundle: One with VR Worlds, and one with Rush for Blood.

Edit: Actually, someone mentioned above about the bundles being at Gamestop, but I didn't take note as I thought it was just Gamestop doing their thing where they make their own bundles... But nope, they're the official Sony bundles.

If anyone is interested in both VR Worlds and Rush of Blood, they're better off getting the VR Worlds bundle seeing as the game retails separately for $35-40 right now, and Rush of Blood is a $20 MSRP game that can probably be found even cheaper than that at the moment( I think bestbuy even had it on sale for $10 a few weeks ago).

Freeman76

I have no intention of buying move controllers for months.

Anyone else like me that doesnt own them, that has played Batman or Expect you to Die using a DS4?

I have RE7 and Tumble VR and not sure what else to buy.

Can I chip in with a question on the same subject?

I'm considering a Pro for Horizon and Mass Effect. I've got a 4k HDR TV and PSVR.

An I right that the processing unit will pass through 4k but not HDR? So I could switch from a PSVR game to a 4k game with no cable-swapping, as long as I don't enable HDR?

I've created a thread to compile some working solutions to the HDR PSVR problem.

SonnyBoy

Anyone else like me that doesnt own them, that has played Batman or Expect you to Die using a DS4?

I couldn't imagine playing Job Simulator without them. I haven't tried the 2 games you mentioned.

Is anyone aware of more art based games/applications coming out for PSVR? I tried the easel in the Harmonix music game and it was by far one of my favorite experiences... Being able to create in 3D was a lot of fun and relaxing.

Telekap

I've just recently bought a PSVR. It's been fantastic so far. I've been following this thread for a while but there is so much information that I may have missed some. So I'm sorry if this has already been answered. I'm having a bunch of family over soon to try out the PSVR. Is there anything you guys have discovered that helps protection or possible screen guards? Just want to make sure the PSVR makes it through the experience. Thanks

I would wait to play Batman until you get Move controllers. And then buy Until Dawn.

Without one, I'd recommend Rez and Thumper. Also check out Battlezone and Eve Valkyrie.

Mendrox

Ehh, I didn't even realize that Batman VR is playable without moves...

I wouldn't recommend the DS for any game that offers you the move experience. It's totally different and worth it. Don't play Batman or Except you to Die without move controllers - even Tumble VR is very different imo

The Goat

It just so happens that VR doesn't affect me as I thought it might. I played RE7 for roughly 2 hours straight last night, with no issues. I also ran through all the demo disc games (except Driveclub) and the only game that gave me even a bit of problem was EVE Valkyrie, and even that was due to the flight controls, as my expectation of movement was thrown off.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed with PSVR. Only gripe is that it breaks HDR, but that's semi-easy to get around.

We people that bought the asian version are out of luck. No way to currently play the VR mode. I am mad as hell.

You do. It's quite easy to do. Buying things is a bit harder like paid DLC. But currently the DLC is not available in the Asian version but most DLC for it has been delayed so far so it might show up eventually.

Wasn't vonStirlitz talking about the Asian version? Said it was available on the Singapore store.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
PlayStation UK boss finally tells media the reason why PSVR marketing was slightly subdued.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/02/sony_we_had_to_be_careful_not_to_overhype_playstation_vr

Yep, they knew demand would outstrip supply. So people shouldn't worry that Sony is killing off PSVR. They just didn't want to overhype something they couldn't supply.

In other news, water is still wet.
I really wanna know if they are planning to release another bundle with camera+moves+different game included this year or not? Time will tell I guess.

Quick question but how often does everyone find themselves doing the camera head position and/or helmet light calibration process?

I find myself needing to do it once a week or I will experience drifting and I'm not sure if that's normal or excessive.

Glix

Dont play them that way. For real, just wait.

Buy Thumper and Rez and Pinball and maybe How We Soar, Bound, Battlezone.

@space cobra - never. I just make sure i do a full power down before starting. Being in rest mode seems to fuck up VR when you come out of it. Or even just having the PS4 on for a while does it so i will shut down first.

Additionally i find it helps to have the headset on and be sitting in the proper spot BEFORE powering up the headset itself

Matush

Developer of Rec Room did AMA, someone asked about PS4 port, their reply:

"We are actively looking into it. Not sure yet."

Heads up for VR GAF: For anyone looking for a camera extension cable Best Buy has one up today only (Deal of the Day) for $4.99 ($15 off). These things are normally so terribly overpriced that I wanted to spread the word.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...on-4/9323926.p?id=1219418741385&skuId=9323926

9323926_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

ChouGoku

Well I just couldn't hold back anymore. After last weeks fail of getting one in Japan and the hopes of getting one at a store looking grim for the next few months, I went looking around the auction sites and such and found one at a semi reasonable price brand new unopened so I decided to get it. Part of me wanted to wait but I really want to experience it now with all the excitement lately. Got me RE7 ready to go, along with the us demo disk and the dlc stuff for battlefront and doa. Hoping to get batman and eve Valkyrie soon too. Worlds looks nice too, might get that sometime if I see it on sale. But certainly looking forward to enjoying this this weekend finally. Been waiting decades for a real good vr experience and this should be what I've been waiting for from all I've heard from. Can't wait!
Remember if you dont have much experience playing VR, you might have to work up your VR legs

cakefoo

Developer of Rec Room did AMA, someone asked about PS4 port, their reply:

"We are actively looking into it. Not sure yet."
The porting challenge with many Vive games is going to be keeping the player informed of which direction the camera is so they don't do a 180 and lose handtracking, and coming up with a solution for artificial turning that isn't clunky. I imagine the player looking over their shoulder and pressing the Move button to snap turn in that direction.

ranmafan

Remember if you dont have much experience playing VR, you might have to work up your VR legs

Looking forward to it! Last time I played any sort of ''vr' was that vr arcade game in 1993 that was riding on the popularity of the term at the time and so not ready for prime time. Today's vr sounds so much more like what I've always wanted and waited so long for. I know it's going to take some getting used to and getting more physical but I'm sure I'll adapt and all. I love learning experiences and this will be a fun one. Exciting times!

Haint

Is there dynamic resolution on re7 psvr? Seems like the image fluctuates a lot for me. At times it's decently sharp but then immediately turns blurry. And this is just me standing still and staring straight ahead.

I tried playroom vr and the kitchen off the demo disk. Despite the jaggies on the kitchen demo that actually kind of seemed sharper and much easier on the eyes.

Neither of those games seemed to have the same issue so I don't think it has anything to do with adjusting my headset or other things setting pupillary distance?

Note I'm on ps4 pro on 1080p tv if that matters

It does, changes on the fly to meet frame rate target. That's why loading a new zone often goes really blurry, the frame rate's tanking as it's streaming assets. There are intermediate resolutions as well, outdoors are obviously lower than a small indoor room. This is on Pro, I can't comment on base behavior.

Hale-XF11

Controlling the gatling gun in Toy Wars is super satisfying. What a fun game mode. Wish it lasted longer and had more levels to it.

mishakoz

Bought Robinson: The Journey.

I have played in VR for hours at a time with no problem, but Robinson was instant motion sickness for me. I had to lay down for awhile afterward. My friend tried and lasted about 2 minutes before he felt bad (less tolerance that I do)

I dont know what it is about the game. I think its the turning mechanic but im not sure. Is the game worth playing? i mostly bought it for the environments.

Got my PSVR last night, with Resident Evil 7. I already have an Oculus, so I'm used to VR, but I wanted to play RE7.

My impressions:

• Setup was easy.
  • It's pretty comfortable.
  • I love having the ability to move the eyepiece out if I want to look at the real world for a moment.
  • It works better with glasses than the Rift. I have to use an older, smaller pair with the Rift. I can use my current ones (which are not large) with PSVR, so that's nice.
  • The control box and the cords are way too heavy. What a literal drag.
  • I hate earbuds, and the design prevents me from using normal headphones. Yuck. Having to deal with these totally negates the convenience of the eyepiece. They do sound fine, at least.
  • The image is a little swimmy (dynamic resolution, I guess?), but it also has a permanent sort of hazy foreground texture on it. Hard to describe. It's nothing you notice once you're paying attention to the game instead of eyeing it as pure tech. At least it doesn't have the Oculus' god rays, not that I've noticed. I look forward to VR display tech getting better.
  • Headset tracking is pretty good. It had serious trouble tracking my Dual Shock, though. I expect it'll do much better with the Move controller, which I haven't tried yet.

Speaking of the Move controller, I have one. Thought I had two, but apparently not. Are there any games that require two? I see there's a list of games that show which controller to use, but it doesn't say two.

As for RE7, I'm not the type to get actually scared from entertainment, but it is tense. It's so nice to have another "real" game to play in VR. I've loved the few I have so far, and I hope RE7's high profile leads to more big budget games embracing VR. So much VR content is very demo-ish, still.

Shoeless

I have played in VR for hours at a time with no problem, but Robinson was instant motion sickness for me. I had to lay down for awhile afterward. My friend tried and lasted about 2 minutes before he felt bad (less tolerance that I do)

I dont know what it is about the game. I think its the turning mechanic but im not sure. Is the game worth playing? i mostly bought it for the environments.

Have you played other games with traditional FPS controls, or is Robinson your first try in that style? Most people cite Robinson, RE7 and Here They Lie as games that tend to cause VR-related motion sickness.

Robinson is a decent adventure game that is priced too high, but it's got some very impressive dinosaur debut moments in VR. I got it at launch, and have no regrets, but I did get motion sickness from it at first. I built up my resistance to it over time and can now play games like Robinson and RE7 with all comfort settings turned off.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It does, changes on the fly to meet frame rate target. That's why loading a new zone often goes really blurry, the frame rate's tanking as it's streaming assets. There are intermediate resolutions as well, outdoors are obviously lower than a small indoor room. This is on Pro, I can't comment on base behavior.

i was in the trailer last night and looking at a pillow and it kept changing from detailed to blurry mess even after all the assets for the rest of the room were loaded lol

bummer. i guess if its some aggressive texture streaming/lod thing related to maintaining stable fps/psvr performance nothing can be done outside of capcom patching in future improvements

Porkepik

They don't joke when they ask if your surrounding are clear for holoball, reminder for myself it includes above my head too . Especially if your brain thinks you are really there and you smash heavily without thinking. So..... First VR casualty at home

JlhJ35e.jpg

BKUit2K.jpg

TxDOP2n.jpg

Game is a blast though but I guess I ll have to move the headset on the ps4 in the living room if I want to play it again however I much prefer it on the PS4 pro in the basement it works perfectly there.

Oh and RE7......love it.
Also my daughter has a bigger VR tolerance than me , she played robinson s journey for 3 hours straight with the VR smoothing off last weekend without any complaint. This game is the only one making me a bit queasy after 30 minutes. Driveclub no nothing, RE7 all vr assist off ... easy. Here they Lie all fine, and so on...... but damn robinson has my stomach well in sight

majik13

I really wanna know if they are planning to release another bundle with camera+moves+different game included this year or not? Time will tell I guess.

They announced new bundles coming next week a few days ago, thats what some people are talking about a few posts above yours. VR worlds bundle like at launch and a new Until Dawn bundle. GS had preorders up for them for a few days a couple days ago too.

Flandy

They don't joke when they ask if your surrounding are clear for holoball, reminder for myself it includes above my head too . Especially if your brain thinks you are really there and you smash heavily without thinking. So..... First VR casualty at home

JlhJ35e.jpg

BKUit2K.jpg

TxDOP2n.jpg

Game is a blast though but I guess I ll have to move the headset on the ps4 in the living room if I want to play it again however I much prefer it on the PS4 pro in the basement it works perfectly there.

Oh and RE7......love it.
Also my daughter has a bigger VR tolerance than me , she played robinson s journey for 3 hours straight with the VR smoothing off last weekend without any complaint. This game is the only one making me a bit queasy after 30 minutes. Driveclub no nothing, RE7 all vr assist off ... easy. Here they Lie all fine, and so on...... but damn robinson has my stomach well in sight

holy shit

Nintendad

It looks like the original launch bundle with Worlds is in stock at pretty much every Gamestop near me. I'm really really tempted to pick it up tomorrow. It's a matter of PS VR and a Switch or two Switches at launch.

Lancelot

JlhJ35e.jpg

BKUit2K.jpg

TxDOP2n.jpg

Oh and RE7......love it.

Oh my!

BTW, is Holoball good?

D23

It looks like the original launch bundle with Worlds is in stock at pretty much every Gamestop near me. I'm really really tempted to pick it up tomorrow. It's a matter of PS VR and a Switch or two Switches at launch.

Get ps vr and re7. Best thing to come out of video games in a while.

Adree

Ha I was just about to post about Robinson since it's one of the few games I've tried that hit me super hard with potential sickness. I'll just have to build up resistance I guess because it looks fucking incredible on PS4 Pro.

I've only played for a short while but I think it's probably best to turn primarily with your head and not use the right analog (which in smooth mode turns way too fast which is crazy)

Freeman76

Thats a no brainer, pSVR all the way

KyleCross

I've been hearing of a comfort mod where you can pop off the back padding to unscrew and remove the rubber band, making it less tight and the tightening wheel still works. I can't find any videos or instructions about this and don't wanna fuck it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom