• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
I love how the biggest complaint about 3D movies were the ultra light weight glasses needed.

We are now getting excited again, but the glasses weigh ten times as much haha.

Anyway, I'm teasing. I know the inherent advantage of 3D within a VR headset, so put me in the group of those who can't wait for this to push out.

Shoeless

I love how the biggest complaint about 3D movies were the ultra light weight glasses needed.

Anyway, I'm teasing. I know the inherent advantage of 3D within a VR headset, so put me in the group of those who can't wait for this to push out.

I just did a quick look and realized that I have a few 3D BDs sitting around like Prometheus and Judge Dredd. Pleasant surprise. Oh well, I guess we won't actually see this firmware update for another month or two?

Fisty

I think the biggest complaint with 3D movies was the thousands of dollars you had to spend on the 3D TV. $400 is chump change in comparison

Mung

It'll be the bearings in the tiny little fan, probably just an isolated incident and certainly not something people should worry about. You'll be able to get a replacement box.

The fan isn't actually attached, it just slots in between groves on the inside of the casing although I think there is a rubber buffer between it and the plastic.

Ah I see, makes sense. Thanks.

I hope Sony eventually creates a virtual theater like Hulu's, especially now that you can play 3D Blu-Rays. Though, I wonder if there would be rendering issues or some technical reason why you wouldn't be able to do 3D movies with it, as it would be a fully 3D rendered space with a screen playing a 3D movie.

I think the biggest complaint with 3D movies was the thousands of dollars you had to spend on the 3D TV. $400 is chump change in comparison

And you were getting a bad 3D no matter what, since flat screen are bad at it.

Projectors is where it's (was?) at for 3D.

Did the latest system update fix the HDMI/HDCP issue with PSVR/PS4 Pro?

I hope Sony eventually creates a virtual theater like Hulu's, especially now that you can play 3D Blu-Rays. Though, I wonder if there would be rendering issues or some technical reason why you wouldn't be able to do 3D movies with it, as it would be a fully 3D rendered space with a screen playing a 3D movie.
I don't get it either. The Gear VR has multiple, awesome virtual theaters to choose from and they can do 3D content.

I've tried Sennheiser 579s and JVC HA-S500s and they both fit fine.

Thanks for the info. I don't know if I'm ready to get new headphones - I have a big set of Monster and a little Sony set that I love, but neither fit. So I'll keep these in mind.

Did the latest system update fix the HDMI/HDCP issue with PSVR/PS4 Pro?

I don't get it either. The Gear VR has multiple, awesome virtual theaters to choose from and they can do 3D content.

And like I said, PSVR already does it, but it's only in the Hulu app (though, I think the content there is 2D only).

Adree

And like I said, PSVR already does it, but it's only in the Hulu app (though, I think the content there is 2D only).

Hulu really doesn't get enough credit for having a very nice VR mode for just watching their normal programming. I found it helpful in getting my "vr legs." Has a lot of cool scenery changes too.

Dthomp

Ha I was just about to post about Robinson since it's one of the few games I've tried that hit me super hard with potential sickness. I'll just have to build up resistance I guess because it looks fucking incredible on PS4 Pro.

I've only played for a short while but I think it's probably best to turn primarily with your head and not use the right analog (which in smooth mode turns way too fast which is crazy)

I'm glad I've seen a few posts about Robinson. I rented it from Gamefly and is my first sitdown since launch with the VR and holy crap after about 20 minutes I want to vomit or passout. Is there anything that you'd suggest for dealing with this game or are we doomed to play in very small doses or not at all?

D23

Reading these impressions from r/PSVR about the 3d Blu ray update got me HYPED!
[–]joesploggs 8 points9 points10 points 3 hours ago 
I'm impressed with it. It's a lot better quality than watching through our 3D TV with glasses (passive). Just watched my daughter's copy of Frozen it looked great.
Couple this with the fact cinematic mode has been updated to look much crisper... this is a fantastic update!!
[–]wrighton1989 2 points3 points4 points an hour ago 
Just tried Hugo 3D after updating the PSVR firmware to 4.5
I have to say I'm impressed! Film looks great in large screen mode and the 3D effect is as good as the film makes it. I'd say it's really immersive with the 3D audio adding to it somewhat.
Only negative I'd say is how comfortable it will be after an hour+.
To sum it up it's like sitting in your own private IMAX with a huge screen and perfect 3D effect as there's no glasses.
[–]RedSpecialFX 2 points3 points4 points an hour ago 
I've tried the force awakens, Jurassic park and pacific rim so far and I'm impressed with the results. I love watching movies on my 3dtv but this beats it which I didn't expect to be honest.
Zero cross talk that I can see, nice depth and pretty impressive with the Pop out moments.
It's very close to a cinema 3D experience, the force awakens in particular seemed really close to what I remember from viewing the movie in 3d at my local Imax. The screen might not be as crisp as that screen but its definitely improved since the update.

Adree

I'm glad I've seen a few posts about Robinson. I rented it from Gamefly and is my first sitdown since launch with the VR and holy crap after about 20 minutes I want to vomit or passout. Is there anything that you'd suggest for dealing with this game or are we doomed to play in very small doses or not at all?

You sat down? I always mimic what the character is doing so I stood.

I'm going to play a little each day until my tolerance builds up. It reminds me of when I first got my headset and I had to take breaks every half hour or so but I got over it.

doby

Reading these impressions from r/PSVR about the 3d Blu ray update got me HYPED!

The cross talk mention is funny, it doesn't even apply here because each eye cannot see what the other one is seeing. Its an impossibility.

Just watched Dredd 3D using the new PSVR mode. Very impressed. The 3D effect is more natural than using active shutter glasses on my old 1080p Panasonic plasma. A couple of times I noticed that the resolution was lower that a native full HD screen, but nothing major. I did notice some multi-coloured pixel shimmer in dark scenes (though strangely not in the pure black background of the credits), which looked a bit like the not-quite-black of the OLED panel that you see in some games.

Overall I was very impressed. A better effect than either active shutter or passive polarised glasses.

I also tried out the "sidetone" feature that I just found out about. I don't think it's new, but it captures sounds from the headset mic and sends them to the headphones. I tried it on level 5 but I could hear myself breathing. Dropped it to level 2 and it's enough to hear if the wife or kids are wandering around without being too distracting. Useful if you want to have some awareness of what's going on in the real world when your eyes and ears are in VR. Apologies if this is old news, but it appears in the 'audio devices' system menu when the PSVR is powered on.

JackEtc

Just saw this posted on Reddit:

hCDYxkR.jpg

this is one of the first PS VR firmware updates isn't it? I wonder what it does...

Just watched Dredd 3D using the new PSVR mode. Very impressed. The 3D effect is more natural than using active shutter glasses on my old 1080p Panasonic plasma. A couple of times I noticed that the resolution was lower that a native full HD screen, but nothing major. I did notice some multi-coloured pixel shimmer in dark scenes (though strangely not in the pure black background of the credits), which looked a bit like the not-quite-black of the OLED panel that you see in some games.

Overall I was very impressed. A better effect than either active shutter or passive polarised glasses.

The image quality is better now?

Also I read about 3d sound above. They have the same mediocre stereo sound or they implemented 3d sound?

Adree

I just spent like an hour trying to make the farthest basketball throw in Robinson. I failed but definitely got acclimated to the environment to the degree that I don't feel sick so I'm going to classify that as a win.

bumpkin

I'll definitely be trying 3D Blu-Ray with PSVR at least once. My TV is actually 3D-ready, but I never wasted any money on glasses.

the_id

My PSVR + PS4 Pro bundle is arriving soon. Getting it for RE:VII but what other games would you guys recommend?

Also, is the PS Move a must? Those things are hard to find in NZ at the moment.

Adree

My PSVR + PS4 Pro bundle is arriving soon. Getting it for RE:VII but what other games would you guys recommend?

There aren't that many games that use them.

Id plan on picking them up eventually but you'll be fine for a while.

Avoid London heist, Until Dawn ROB, and Batman.

Just tried the 3D playback via the beta with the one 3D blu I have, IMAX HUBBLE, and it works really well. Tried it with the large screen setting. I would never watch a whole movie like that but I am compelled to go buy like 3 more movies or so just to tinker with it.

Hale-XF11

Just got done watching all of Tron: Legacy in 3D in my PSVR headset.

The 3D effect works flawlessly. Some scenes really popped out and made me smile, especially the part where one of the programs is derezzed during the games. The resolution is noticeably improved, though still not as sharp as watching an HDTV, as expected. The limits of the resolution of the screen are still there, but not enough to detract from my enjoyment, which I guess is evident by the fact that I sat through a whole movie with no regret. I'm very pleased with the overall IQ and assuming my budget allows for it, I plan to buy more 3D blu-rays in the future to watch in PSVR.

ranmafan

Well finally my PSVR arrived today. For me I haven't tried any vr other than that 90s arcade game "Dactyl Nightmare" which was no where close to vr of today, and some phone stuff with the cardboard VR. But I had yet to get to try the real thing with any of the big headsets on the market. I was excited and looking forward to it but wasn't sure how it would turn out in the end. Would it be disappointing like that 90s game, or would it be the game changer everyone says it is?

Well after only a few hours of playing demos, I can already say Ive had some of the most amazing game experiences Ive ever had in over 35 years of gaming today. Just going through the demo disk alone has been an amazing experience. The first time I booted up the Eve Valkyrie demo was an amazing jaw dropping moment. Kitchen was so horrifying. I can't wait to get into the full RE7 later tonight. And even though it was short the star wars vr mission was a blast. And also job simulator demo was so awesome. that went from curiosity to must buy for me now. I still have a lot of demos and games to play through today and the days to come, but wow I just am blown away by this experience. I can't believe how real things felt. This really is the future of games, Im so glad I didn't wait any longer and got it now. Just an amazing time all around! I see why now its so popular. Im just so blown away by it all.

Adree

Well finally my PSVR arrived today. For me I haven't tried any vr other than that 90s arcade game "Dactyl Nightmare" which was no where close to vr of today, and some phone stuff with the cardboard VR. But I had yet to get to try the real thing with any of the big headsets on the market. I was excited and looking forward to it but wasn't sure how it would turn out in the end. Would it be disappointing like that 90s game, or would it be the game changer everyone says it is?

Well after only a few hours of playing demos, I can already say Ive had some of the most amazing game experiences Ive ever had in over 35 years of gaming today. Just going through the demo disk alone has been an amazing experience. The first time I booted up the Eve Valkyrie demo was an amazing jaw dropping moment. Kitchen was so horrifying. I can't wait to just into the full RE7 later tonight. And even though it was short the star wars vr mission was a blast. And also job simulator demo was so awesome. that went from curiosity to must buy for me now. I still have a lot of demos and games to play through today and the days to come, but wow I just am blown away by this experience. I can't believe how real things felt. This really is the future of games, Im so glad I didn't wait any longer and got it now. Just an amazing time all around! I see why now its so popular. Im just so blown away by it all.

VR really changes you.

I'm with you on the EVE demo, I just had to buy it after that.

ranmafan

VR really changes you.

I'm with you on the EVE demo, I just had to buy it after that.

It really does. The second the you see the cockpit and its like just there and feels so real, Ive never had a feeling like that in a game or anything. Im certainly going to get the full game soon. But yeah at times I've been so awed by todays experiences that Im left speechless

I was playing Resi 7 last night and had my first proper prescence experience - I was shooting one of the
moulded
only to turn around to see another one right next to me. It scared me so badly I actually got of out of my chair to run away in real life! The missus thought it was hilarious of course...

Is it worth 40 bucks?

I bought it purely for the Shark Cage encounter(Jaws fan :) but I still play the other games. They have extra challenge modes with leaderboards. It would be better if it was cheaper, but I've still got my moneys worth. It also has good Pro enhancements if you have one.

somme

Just managed to set up my PS4 Pro and Resident Evil 7 definitely looks way better for it. Didn't notice it too much on Robinson but then I haven't played that for quite a while anyway.

It really does. The second the you see the cockpit and its like just there and feels so real, Ive never had a feeling like that in a game or anything. Im certainly going to get the full game soon. But yeah at times I've been so awed by todays experiences that Im left speechless
Just a caveat with EVE, you need to understand it primarily as an online game I think. It gets a bad press from people expecting a decent single player campaign when all there is to do offline is practice and earn shit to use online. As such it wasn't for me, although I think it probably is quite good at what it does set out to be.

Freeman76

Thirded. I bought it off of the recommendations here and absolutely love it.

shame there is no demo. in fact i think due to the nature of VR devs should include a short demo with every game so we can try before we commit.

so many games seem to be "7/10" experiences. I have to say though, VR is the best experience Ive had in gaming, worth buying it for RE7 alone and last night I opened area x on Rez and it blew me away. I also really enjoyed Batman VR even without move controls, and thumper seems ok but a bit fast for my 40 year old reactions (doesnt help i did a lot of drugs in my 20's).

I wish there was a few more must haves, but its early days and I already can say it was worth every penny.

Played pinball fx2 for the first time this morning. It's the killer app for me. It was so much easier to accurately hit ramps and targets inVR.

RE7 in VR is amazing, just amazing, I cannot imagine playing it without VR, it is a game changer. Sony really needs to get on the horse and get more full fledged AAA games on VR, many games would work amazing in VR. My worry is support for games like RE are the exception, the tech is too damn good to be squandered Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom