• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gave the changed cinema mode a go. That is the first time I have been able to play games in it for extended periods of time and really enjoyed it. The change isn't massive but now everything just looks that little bit crisper which makes it far more enjoyable experience. Will try watching a movie in a bit to see how I like it. Might use it more than my TV as I quite like the isolation for some games.

Well, I fixed my dislike of the earbuds with just a handful of twisty ties. Now the earbuds dangle right where I want them. No more tangled cords and wires hanging from my ears!

IMG_20170204_202813_zps6d7vrouy.jpg

IMG_20170204_202852_zpsive3uuox.jpg

bumpkin

Well, I fixed my dislike of the earbuds with just a handful of twisty ties. Now the earbuds dangle right where I want them. No more tangled cords and wires hanging from my ears!

That's a killer idea. I actually haven't used the included earbuds once. I can't get them to stay in my ears. I usually just put on my Turtle Beach Wii U headset.

Grinchy

Banned

Yeah I did this with some eletrical tape months ago and it helped a lot. Being able to just grab the headset and put it on without ever thinking about headphones or earbuds is nice. They're just right there.

Freeman76

im so addicted to this thing lol. Since Monday I bought RE7, Thumper, Rez, Tumble VR,Batman, Pinball FX2 and Headmaster.

All amazing but pinball (not sure what i was expecting tbh) is shallow and very little skill involved, feels a waste of money at mo.

Headmaster isnt very accurate, is that my skill/set up or a known issue? Headtracking seems off?

Bluecondor

Cinema mode on the PSVR was always a disappointing missed opportunity to me. At launch the video quality was barely above 480P quality for movies or games, and the constant need to re-center the image because of drift was highly annoying.

Well, the latest beta (one dload for the PS4, one for the PSVR) fixes the first problem, and I can say first hand that the quality of the visuals was GREATLY improved - for medium (theater picture sized) or large (IMAX picture size) screen settings. Not quite razor-sharp HD, but just barely a notch below. Sound can be fed through the headset, but since 3D audio isn't an issue, I leave them off and stick with the 5.1 arrangement I normally enjoy. Overall, this beta is an awesome upgrade.

BTW, for someone above who mentioned minor pixel shimmer yesterday, it is there but to me it is only seen on the extreme edges of the headset's viewpoint, and on large picture mode only. As soon as I move my head towards that area, it sharpens up. Is that what's called foveated imaging? Either way, it isn't an issue at all as you almost ever really notice or think about it.

Now, with all that said, I will still mostly watch my 2D Blu-rays and such on my 60" HD screen since I'm only 8-feet away from it unless I want the "IMAX" setting experience.

What about 3D Blu-ray? My HDTV outputs 3D so I already have a collection, but with the PSVR beta update, the experience is now tremendously enhanced. With an HDTV, the 3D is not quite as in-your-face impressive as it is on PSVR, whether choosing medium or large screen size.

Also, the image quality is much, MUCH better than standard HDTV 3D because PSVR isn't darkened like the shaded lenses of the 3D glasses. There is also no shutter speed flutter such as with the HDTV 3D glasses open and close alternate lenses, which again points to a far more pristine image on PSVR 3D.

Compared to every single 3D video viewing experience I have tried over the years, PSVR tech is easily the best.

Hey! Thanks so much for taking the time to write all of this out.

I have had my PSVR since launch day, and have only used it four times (the demos - i.e. Shark Encounter and London Heist, the Kitchen and Headmaster Demos, Batman and the RE7 beta). While I enjoyed all of these and feel really optimistic about the future of the PSVR, I feel like it lacks a killer app that will really make me want to spend some time with PSVR on a regular basis.

After reading what you wrote, I had honestly never made the link between 3D movies and the PSVR. This update sounds like it could be a huge game-change with respect to providing a deep and immersive experience in PSVR.

I followed up on your post by reading up on 3D movies, and i came across a 3D movie review site that goes into great detail to rate the 3D experience of over 150 3D movies. After reading the reviews, I settled on Jurassic World 3D and Stalingrad 3D and ordered them online (here are the reviews for each film):

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Jurassic-World-Ticket-71946.html

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Stalingrad-Ticket-41877.html

Now I can't wait for the release of this update, as I will get to watch 3D movies at home (and, I haven't seen a 3D movie in a theater since I was a kid). I'm hoping that Jurassic World and Stalingrad 3D are amazing experiences, as watching 3D movies is something I could see myself getting into....

Thanks again for your post joeblow!

BTails

Just finished RE7, having played the whole game in the VR headset... Wow, what an experience! Glad to hear that Capcom considers VR a hit, and is looking into it for future games.

A problem arose though: dreaded blackouts. I only had them the last couple of play sessions (Usually only played for an hour at a time), but they got pretty bad. First time the audio and video would only cut out for a second. But the last couple of sessions it would cut out for 5-10 seconds, complete with the white spinning "loading" animation.

I;ve since used some pressurized air on all the connections to make sure everything is seated correctly, but haven't tried it again since then. Any other tips?

joeblow

Hey! Thanks so much for taking the time to write all of this out.

I have had my PSVR since launch day, and have only used it four times (the demos - i.e. Shark Encounter and London Heist, the Kitchen and Headmaster Demos, Batman and the RE7 beta). While I enjoyed all of these and feel really optimistic about the future of the PSVR, I feel like it lacks a killer app that will really make me want to spend some time with PSVR on a regular basis.

After reading what you wrote, I had honestly never made the link between 3D movies and the PSVR. This update sounds like it could be a huge game-change with respect to providing a deep and immersive experience in PSVR.

I followed up on your post by reading up on 3D movies, and i came across a 3D movie review site that goes into great detail to rate the 3D experience of over 150 3D movies. After reading the reviews, I settled on Jurassic World 3D and Stalingrad 3D and ordered them online (here are the reviews for each film):

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Jurassic-World-Ticket-71946.html

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Stalingrad-Ticket-41877.html

Now I can't wait for the release of this update, as I will get to watch 3D movies at home (and, I haven't seen a 3D movie in a theater since I was a kid). I'm hoping that Jurassic World and Stalingrad 3D are amazing experiences, as watching 3D movies is something I could see myself getting into....

Thanks again for your post joeblow!

No problem!

I should say though, that Jurassic World 3D was one of the ones I recently tested on PSVR and the image quality as well as 3D effect for most of the movie is VERY underwhelming.

Some of the IMAX 3D videos (like Grand Canyon Adventure, with an incredible 1st person white water rafting scene) are better than that movie for 3D visual effects. There are plenty of mainstream movies too are worth checking out (I watched Madagascar 3 this morning on the PSVR - really cool).

Bluecondor

No problem!

I should say though, that Jurassic World 3D was one of the ones I recently tested on PSVR and the image quality as well as 3D effect for most of the movie is VERY underwhelming.

Some of the IMAX 3D videos (like Grand Canyon Adventure, with an incredible 1st person white water rafting scene) are better than that movie for 3D visual effects. There are plenty of mainstream movies too are worth checking out (I watched Madagascar 3 this morning on the PSVR - really cool).

Thanks Joe!

That is good advice. I will look into the IMAX 3D videos, since they were clearly shot in 3D. I haven't seen Madagascar yet, so I will give that a shot as well.

OK - I went on Amazon and read through some reviews on the IMAX videos. I went with IMAX Under the Sea, IMAX Deep Sea (as I really enjoyed the Shark Encounter demo) and another one, IMAX Born to Be Wild, which apparently shows baby monkeys and elephants, etc.

This is great - I just bought 5 3D videos/movies for around the same total price as a single AAA game release.

dose

I'm on the beta yet it says I have the latest VR headset software, 2.00. Anyone else had this? I'm in the UK btw.
Edit, it's popped up now :)

joeblow

Another movie with great 3D effects (don't laugh) is Step Up 3D. It's my daughter's favorite dance movie, and I have to say some of the scenes are really well done for the pop out effect (especially the dance competitions in CHapter 7 and the one at the end in particular).

Don't get the sequel Step Up Revolution though - it's letterboxed (smaller visuals) and a drop in 3D impressiveness overall.

Another movie with great 3D effects (don't laugh) is Step Up 3D. It's my daughter's favorite dance movie, and I have to say some of the scenes are really well done for the pop out effect (especially the dance competitions in CHapter 7 and the one at the end in particular).

Don't get the sequel Step Up Revolution though - it's letterboxed (smaller visuals) and a drop in 3D impressiveness overall.

No one's laughing..the Step Up movies are great. Moose is my main man.
And the 3D one was shot in 3D, not that post conversion crap.

---
Yesterday I bought some 3D blu-rays to try...havent watched them yet though. They might not be have the best 3D-ness but I wasnt going to buy movies I wouldn't watch so I got Fury Road and Predator. I also bought Dredd because it was 11 bucks...movie is terrible but it's real 3D so I'll watch a few scenes to see how it looks.

-griffy-

Banned
So are these new bundles supposedly being restocked this week actually going to be available or is it still gonna be impossible to get one of these?

Fox1304

Finally tried 3D blurays on PSVR.
Maybe I have a way too good referential with my 4K Oled but it is nowhere near this good. 3D is good, but image quality is so bad compared to the TV that there is no way that I'll use it.
Well, it was worth a try.

Bluecondor

Finally tried 3D blurays on PSVR.
Maybe I have a way too good referential with my 4K Oled but it is nowhere near this good. 3D is good, but image quality is so bad compared to the TV that there is no way that I'll use it.
Well, it was worth a try.

Are you in the beta test for the next PS4 operating system update?

Joeblow is in the beta test, which apparently has a specific update to play Blu Ray 3D videos in PSVR.

I am hoping that this will be a game changing addition to PSVR when this update is released to everyone.

Fox1304

Are you in the beta test for the next PS4 operating system update?

Joeblow is in the beta test, which apparently has a specific update to play Blu Ray 3D videos in PSVR.

I am hoping that this will be a game changing addition to PSVR when this update is released to everyone.

Yes, I've installed the beta for console and the VR both. Had some messages about 3D br on the system so everything is correct. Just underwhelmed, but I guess it depends on what TV you have or how picky you are on IQ

Bluecondor

Yes, I've installed the beta for console and the VR both. Had some messages about 3D br on the system so everything is correct. Just underwhelmed, but I guess it depends on what TV you have or how picky you are on IQ

Oh - got it!

That's an interesting referent point - 4K image quality.

I don't have a 4K TV or the PS4-Pro, so I haven't really experienced this yet. My referent point is watching 3D movies in an IMAX theater several years ago. So - if the PSVR 3D Blu-Ray update can generate an individual viewing experience that is comparable to watching a 3D movie in an IMAX theater, that will be really something.

Fox1304

Oh - got it!

That's an interesting referent point - 4K image quality.

I don't have a 4K TV or the PS4-Pro, so I haven't really experienced this yet. My referent point is watching 3D movies in an IMAX theater several years ago. So - if the PSVR 3D Blu-Ray update can generate an individual viewing experience that is comparable to watching a 3D movie in an IMAX theater, that will be really something.

3D on a passive 4K tv really is something. It produces a real 1080p image, so it's as good as a standard bluray, wether on a passive 1080p set it's only 720p picture , so it suffers a lot. I had a 1080p oled setup before, and couldn't bother watching 3D even though passive is really easy to watch, but IQ suffered too much. Same on the PSVR.

So are these new bundles supposedly being restocked this week actually going to be available or is it still gonna be impossible to get one of these?

Depends on demand, if their are a lot of people waiting for the restock, expect it to be hard to find.

I feel like this next stock will be taken by Wave 2 of desperate people :p

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
When you put Playstation to sleep/suspend mode should the external box power down becuase mine stays on with the fan going?

Anyone?

-----------------------

I did a bit of research and it seems to be an issue with regards to having the download in suspend feature enabled?

Erm, not exactly helpful tips lol, thanks anyway, I found a guide if seems too much light can cause the issue.

They were not exactly tips at all.:p
I meant that there is no reason to not have a proper head tracking. I talk about headmaster. Even with lights on, it works perfectly for me. Unless the camera doesn't recognise the headset properly. Which is strange :/

Check maybe for objects that reflect the psvr lights in the room.

bumpkin

Yeah I did this with some eletrical tape months ago and it helped a lot. Being able to just grab the headset and put it on without ever thinking about headphones or earbuds is nice. They're just right there.
This is probably the dumbest question ever asked, but how are the earbuds supposed to be worn? When I set them in my ears, they just fall out. Am I supposed to like cram them in so they "catch" the groove of my ear canal or something?

Disclaimer: I HATE earbuds so I never use them with anything. I prefer regular headphones all the way.

Grinchy

Banned
This is probably the dumbest question ever asked, but how are the earbuds supposed to be worn? When I set them in my ears, they just fall out. Am I supposed to like cram them in so they "catch" the groove of my ear canal or something?

Disclaimer: I HATE earbuds so I never use them with anything. I prefer regular headphones all the way.

Did the earbuds come with different sized rubber pieces? I can't remember. Maybe you need to try the bigger ones if so.

But yes, they go inside the ear. They should not be falling out and they pretty much block all of the ambient sound of the room.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

Beleive it or not this isn't the first time I've heard someone ask this and it's understandable if your not used to IEMs, you basically have to think of them was 'ear plugs', they 'plug' your ear canals.

I love them as they block a lot of environmental noise out but I know some people find them a little claustrophobic.

j0hnnix

Weird question since I'm getting closer to making a purchase.. Does the user need the tv on to play, can someone else, gf/friends watch something else like Sling on my shield if I'm using the headset? Other question do I need a 3D TV to view 3D movies on this headset?

maxpo452

Neo Member
Weird question since I'm getting closer to making a purchase.. Does the user need the tv on to play, can someone else, gf/friends watch something else like Sling on my shield if I'm using the headset? Other question do I need a 3D TV to view 3D movies on this headset?

Nope, you'll get an "in-headset" ps4 menu, so your TV doesn't have to be on. I also don't think you'll need a 3D-TV to watch 3D-movies.(someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong)

Massa

Anyone?

-----------------------

I did a bit of research and it seems to be an issue with regards to having the download in suspend feature enabled?

Well it's not exactly an issue. While your PS4 is working in rest mode (downloading content, uploading saves, syncing trophies and things like that) the VR box light indicates that it's on.

Nope. I never turn the TV on whilst using VR unless it is multiplayer that uses the TV, or if I need to see what others are doing that don't really know how to use the controls and I need to do stuff or them.

j0hnnix

Nope, you'll get an "in-headset" ps4 menu, so your TV doesn't have to be on. I also don't think you'll need a 3D-TV to watch 3D-movies.(someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong)

Nope. I never turn the TV on whilst using VR unless it is multiplayer that uses the TV, or if I need to see what others are doing that don't really know how to use the controls and I need to do stuff or them.

Nice. That makes it even better to seal the deal on a purchase. I'm just prepping where to conceal the cables. That's the only negative I've run into. I tried the occulus yesterday at best buy and was amazed - I was already looking to get on the psvr train. I'm just doing research and preparing for it.

bumpkin

Did the earbuds come with different sized rubber pieces? I can't remember. Maybe you need to try the bigger ones if so.

But yes, they go inside the ear. They should not be falling out and they pretty much block all of the ambient sound of the room.
Beleive it or not this isn't the first time I've heard someone ask this and it's understandable if your not used to IEMs, you basically have to think of them was 'ear plugs', they 'plug' your ear canals.

I love them as they block a lot of environmental noise out but I know some people find them a little claustrophobic.
Thanks for the replies, guys. They do come with two other sets of rubber pieces, the manual said it comes with the "Medium" sized ones on. I switched them to the small ones and they seem to stay in better.

On one hand I'm tempted to rig things up (fastening the cables together), but there are times that I don't wear headphones while playing something in VR, so I'd have them dangling in those situations. That might get annoying. I don't know, we'll see.

Speaking of seeing about things, I wonder if the online community for Werewolves Within is going to be DOA tonight because of the Super Bowl. I got the game for a great price earlier in the week, but haven't tried it out yet. I was thinking about giving it a whirl tonight.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Drive Angry has the best 3D of anything I've seen, which is almost every 3D movie ever released.
I've seen stronger 3D, but you can have too much of a good thing. Some older 3D movies like Creature From The Black Lagoon look great but make my eyes hurt.

My "I can't believe this has good 3D." movie is Dolphin Tale.

And the 3D one was shot in 3D, not that post conversion crap.

I'm like a broken record about this but The Amazing Spider-Man has the absolute worst 3D I've ever seen not counting realtime autoconversions and it was shot in 3D.
My favorite post conversion is Ghostbusters. It looks better than most movies actually shot in 3D.

orborborb

Prometheus is still the one and only great film made even greater by 3D

and for all my fellow earbud/ear canal
haters, the $15 Koss KSC75s clip ons will change your life

I've watched a good amount of 3D movies so I can make a few recommendations. I agree with the person earlier saying imax titles are impressive (some, not all). Some others id recommend for 3D (not taste, thats your call)...

Adventures of TinTin
Sanctum
Kung Fu Panda 2
Harold and Kumar Christmas
John Carter
Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2
Life of Pi
A Christmas Carol
Avengers
Meet The Robinsons
Journey 2 The Mysterious Island
Toy Story 1,2 & 3
Finding Nemo
Lion King
POTC 4
Captain America 1
Transformers 3
Brave
Gravity
Hobbits
Jurassic World
Prometheus
Star Trek Into Darkness
Rio

Cyriades

At this point I have accepted that Sony will never implement it. They have said nothing about this support, it's not even hard to implement so they clearly have a reason they don't want it on PSVR (fear of porn?).
There's 3D BluRay porn so that cant be the reason.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Transformers 3 has overrated 3D, but the 3D in Transformers 4 is legit amazing.
Also, Pompeii 3D is $4.99 at Best Buy right now (in a small cardboard bin labeled "$4.99 Blu-rays" that's all Sony movies) and I was like fuck it, I'm in. I've bought quite a few 3D discs for less, though.
The least I paid was $1.50 for James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge, which has pretty sweet 3D.

joeblow

Is anyone with PSVR/PS4 Pro *not* having the issue with the screen and the sound cutting out when HDCP is set to on?

Also is anyone else having the issue where when you shut down the PSVR, the TV screen goes completely black and you have to reboot your PS4?

I'm getting very frustrated. The first one was never a problem with my OG PS4 and the second one only started recently.
I have both since their respective launches. What you describe has happened maybe three times to me for the briefest of seconds over many hours of play. I think it is a cable handshake issue, not the hardware.

joeblow

Drive Angry has the best 3D of anything I've seen, which is almost every 3D movie ever released.
I've seen stronger 3D, but you can have too much of a good thing. Some older 3D movies like Creature From The Black Lagoon look great but make my eyes hurt.
After being so impressed with the 3D Bluray quality of the PSVR beta patch this weekend, I started researching for new flicks to add to my collection Drive Angry was one I saw pop up several times in recommendations, so I went ahead and ordered it this morning along with five other releases.

I have both since their respective launches. What you describe has happened maybe three times to me for the briefest of seconds over many hours of play. I think it is a cable handshake issue, not the hardware.
For me the video/sound cutting out happens literally every time I play unless I turn HDCP off. Then it's fine.

As for the second issue I'm a dumb ass. I was holding the power button on the inline control instead of pressing it once.

androvsky

There's 3D BluRay porn so that cant be the reason.

It's possible the media player won't be updated until the beta is over. Last time the first round of beta testing added the libraries for FLAC and ogg, but the media player didn't support those codecs until after the beta.

On a side note, I haven't found any fun easter eggs in the software licenses this time.

i can't wait to try watching 3D bluray on my PSVR with this update..

i have only 2 3d blurays (Despicable Me & Lion King) that i only watched once on my 3dtv....

Fnord

im so addicted to this thing lol. Since Monday I bought RE7, Thumper, Rez, Tumble VR,Batman, Pinball FX2 and Headmaster.

All amazing but pinball (not sure what i was expecting tbh) is shallow and very little skill involved, feels a waste of money at mo.

Headmaster isnt very accurate, is that my skill/set up or a known issue? Headtracking seems off?

Methinks you aren't playing it "right." It is significantly deeper than it appears on the surface. Sure, you could just bang on the flippers with nary a care in the world, but that's similar to button mashing in a technical fighter. Each table has goals, missions, and objectives. Most of which require some pretty hard core skill and technique.

Adree

Since I liked the main 3 tables so much I bought the dlc for Pinball FX2 VR. I find it kind of annoying you can only load 3 tables at a time.

I love the 3D audio that PSVR offers via the breakout box. However, I do wish they would also allow the system-level virtual 7.1 channel surround sound features (similar to the 3D audio) that the headsets (i.e. Silver, Gold, Platinum) use. I use the surround sound when watching movies on PS4 while wearing my PS Gold headset. Unfortunately, while the 3D audio stuff in PSVR is probably superior, I feel like I'm missing out if I don't use my Gold headset in conjunction with PSVR when I'm watching movies (especially 3D Blu-Rays!) in PSVR. When I turn off the surround sound stuff while watching movies, the sound feels lacking. With PSVR and its default headphones, I wouldn't be able to watch my movies with surround sound. I wonder if they could add that via firmware or something. I like the lightness of the PSVR headsets, so if they could bring over the virtual surround sound stuff for movies, I'd be ecstatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom