• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

wondermega

Played pinball fx2 for the first time this morning. It's the killer app for me. It was so much easier to accurately hit ramps and targets inVR.
Pinball in VR is surprisingly amazing, I love it! If they made a pinball controller (stand with buttons on either side) I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

RE7 in VR is amazing, just amazing, I cannot imagine playing it without VR, it is a game changer. Sony really needs to get on the horse and get more full fledged AAA games on VR, many games would work amazing in VR. My worry is support for games like RE are the exception, the tech is too damn good to be squandered Sony.

Colony Wars for PS4 and PSVR would be glorious or fully fledged Star Wars VR game.
Could be the same like RE7, because it doesn't need to be VR exclusive but it'd be a better experience on it.

Played RE7 for around 3h and it's absolutely horrifyingly awesome.

GrazGamer

I finally cracked today after playing RE7 on PC I had to try it in VR.

Is the full version of PS World worth it?

I tried the Ocean Descent and was blown away.

Only tried the COD demo and Eve as well so far and just WOW!

Any other recommendations, I fancy Batman but don't have Move, yet.

The cinema mode is so good too, like being in a cinema watching a blu-ray, can't wait to try 3D.

Any recommendations on experiences? The Sony website had some David Attenborough thing but
I can't find that.

Plasma

Banned
I finally cracked today after playing RE7 on PC I had to try it in VR.

Is the full version of PS World worth it?

I tried the Ocean Descent and was blown away.

Only tried the COD demo and Eve as well so far and just WOW!

Any other recommendations, I fancy Batman but don't have Move, yet.

The cinema mode is so good too, like being in a cinema watching a blu-ray, can't wait to try 3D.

Any recommendations on experiences? The Sony website had some David Attenborough thing but
I can't find that.
London Heist in PS VR Worlds is really good but if you don't have move controllers yet you won't be able to play it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
When you put Playstation to sleep/suspend mode should the external box power down becuase mine stays on with the fan going?

joeblow

Cinema mode on the PSVR was always a disappointing missed opportunity to me. At launch the video quality was barely above 480P quality for movies or games, and the constant need to re-center the image because of drift was highly annoying.

Well, the latest beta (one dload for the PS4, one for the PSVR) fixes the first problem, and I can say first hand that the quality of the visuals was GREATLY improved - for medium (theater picture sized) or large (IMAX picture size) screen settings. Not quite razor-sharp HD, but just barely a notch below. Sound can be fed through the headset, but since 3D audio isn't an issue, I leave them off and stick with the 5.1 arrangement I normally enjoy. Overall, this beta is an awesome upgrade.

BTW, for someone above who mentioned minor pixel shimmer yesterday, it is there but to me it is only seen on the extreme edges of the headset's viewpoint, and on large picture mode only. As soon as I move my head towards that area, it sharpens up. Is that what's called foveated imaging? Either way, it isn't an issue at all as you almost ever really notice or think about it.

Now, with all that said, I will still mostly watch my 2D Blu-rays and such on my 60" HD screen since I'm only 8-feet away from it unless I want the "IMAX" setting experience.

What about 3D Blu-ray? My HDTV outputs 3D so I already have a collection, but with the PSVR beta update, the experience is now tremendously enhanced. With an HDTV, the 3D is not quite as in-your-face impressive as it is on PSVR, whether choosing medium or large screen size.

Also, the image quality is much, MUCH better than standard HDTV 3D because PSVR isn't darkened like the shaded lenses of the 3D glasses. There is also no shutter speed flutter such as with the HDTV 3D glasses open and close alternate lenses, which again points to a far more pristine image on PSVR 3D.

Compared to every single 3D video viewing experience I have tried over the years, PSVR tech is easily the best.

joeblow

I wanted to separately add this to the positive PSVR Cinema mode experience I've had with the new beta that I posted above.

Now that the image quality has been dramatically cleaned up, the only other thing that discouraged me from using Cinema mode was the constant drift of the picture in 2D movies and non-VR games. I'd start a film, and within a few minutes my head (or body) ends up being turned to the left to stay focused on the center. VR mode doesn't have the issue, but it was a problem (at least for me) outside of that.

Searching online, I finally found a solution that works PERFECTLY. It's kinda bootleg, but once you get used to it you will appreciate that at least something works until a perma-fix is released. A summary of the Reddit post is this:

• Go to your PS4 home UI screen (I don't think it works in a movie or game in the foreground)
  • Look at a sharp angle to the right of where you want the image centered. In large picture mode, I also look down a bit as well for a better centered image in the end.
  • Start turning your head from right to left, and begin holding the OPTION button at a point in time for the re-center action to kick in JUST as your head faces the ideal center position (I'll stop turning my head slightly after the adjustment occurs). This entire sequence takes about two seconds, and may need a little practice.
  • Go back to your movie or game and simply watch/play as normal. The drift should be gone!
It is important to point out that if you re-set the center in a movie or game (or remove the headset to put on again later), you have to go back out and re-do this method. Still, I have not needed to worry about keeping my head still for fear of messing up the setting, i.e. in large picture mode I can look around with no issue.

So far I've watched a full Blu-ray on the PSVR without any drift. Check it out and see if it works for you!

ranmafan

Just a caveat with EVE, you need to understand it primarily as an online game I think. It gets a bad press from people expecting a decent single player campaign when all there is to do offline is practice and earn shit to use online. As such it wasn't for me, although I think it probably is quite good at what it does set out to be.

Yeah I've heard that a lot too. Many mixed feelings and such it seems on the game. I'll keep those in mind and all. Probably won't pick it up for a little while. Hopefully it will be cheaper when I can get it. Still even if the main game isn't the greatest that demo was so awesome when I first tried it.

Shoeless

Colony Wars for PS4 and PSVR would be glorious or fully fledged Star Wars VR game.
Could be the same like RE7, because it doesn't need to be VR exclusive but it'd be a better experience on it.

Played RE7 for around 3h and it's absolutely horrifyingly awesome.

I still don't understand why we don't have Colony Wars.

I'm also glad that someone with your avatar brought this up. I also wouldn't say no to a G-Police or Krazy Ivan remake.

Adree

Yeah I've heard that a lot too. Many mixed feelings and such it seems on the game. I'll keep those in mind and all. Probably won't pick it up for a little while. Hopefully it will be cheaper when I can get it. Still even if the main game isn't the greatest that demo was so awesome when I first tried it.

Your first few online matches are against bots at least and they don't stomp you flat like the ai in RIGS. There are some nice modes that just let you fly around freely on maps or do a few campaign missions (I think there are 5 including the stuff that happens at the start of the game.)

You should try the free Jackal Assault Call of Duty game if you haven't.

I still don't understand why we don't have Colony Wars.

I'm also glad that someone with your avatar brought this up. I also wouldn't say no to a G-Police or Krazy Ivan remake.

I bring this up every opportunity I get here on NeoGAF and randomly harass Shu about it on twitter ;) but alas no success yet as it still doesn't exist ;(

One day though we'll get it!!1

ranmafan

Your first few online matches are against bots at least and they don't stomp you flat like the ai in RIGS. There are some nice modes that just let you fly around freely on maps or do a few campaign missions (I think there are 5 including the stuff that happens at the start of the game.)

You should try the free Jackal Assault Call of Duty game if you haven't.

Oh I tried that one last night as well. It was pretty cool as well. Short like battlefront but a blast none the less. I really hope we get more space shooters like this. Also gets me excited for ace combat later in the year

Thanks for the responses guys.

Decided to bite the bullet and pick up a bundle at gamestop. Went to go buy it, they were all sold out. Shi- oh wait BestBuy to the rescue as they got solo headsets in. Snagged one up and picked up RE7.

CoolNumber9

Played pinball fx2 for the first time this morning. It's the killer app for me. It was so much easier to accurately hit ramps and targets inVR.

So funny I just came in to post about this game because I just picked it up on sale!! You couldn't have said it better. This game is so awesome in vr!!! No other way to play it!!! It makes it so much more realistic on judging when to hit the ball and makes you more accurate. I can't even state how much I love this!!

j-wood

So finally got my headset. I think I'm going to get super hyper cube because the demo was awesome, but what else should I get? I have RE7 already

Grinchy

Banned
So finally got my headset. I think I'm going to get super hyper cube because the demo was awesome, but what else should I get? I have RE7 already

RIGS and Battlezone if you think you'll be playing online with people. If not, don't get them, but they're the best games after RE7 IMO.

gunstarhero

I never really gave the Playroom 'Capsule Room' a chance since VR launch.

Good LORD! The amount of detail and animation is downright amazing. I'm not sure if it got that PS Pro boost - but I don't remember it looking this good when I first checked it out back in the day.

Me and my son just spent about an hour going back and forth in it - and finally finished the collection. I hope half the stuff Sony modeled for this thing makes it in another Playroom game down the road.

Really good stuff!

gunstarhero

Battle zone seems intriguing. Is it online only or is there single player?

Single player. BattleZone is one of the better VR games imo. RIGS blew me away at launch, but it never stuck with me. BattleZone is legit a great arcade type game - even without the VR factored in.

bumpkin

So this is interesting... I recently noticed a drifting issue when playing Pinball FX2 VR, and it got me wondering, what can I do to fix it? I did some searching on the issue and I found a really fascinating idea/fix. I thought it sounded nuts, but now it makes so much sense why they have a black matte backdrop up when you try the demos at stores.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/583a2d/ok_guys_i_have_finally_fixed_all_tracking_issues/d8xnd9x

I haven't done any testing to see if there's any credence to the idea, but the anecdotal evidence seems to add up. What say you, GAF?

j-wood

Single player. BattleZone is one of the better VR games imo. RIGS blew me away at launch, but it never stuck with me. BattleZone is legit a great arcade type game - even without the VR factored in.

So far I got holoball, hyper cube, and thumper. Debating batman and wayward skies and battle zone.

Adree

So this is interesting... I recently noticed a drifting issue when playing Pinball FX2 VR, and it got me wondering, what can I do to fix it? I did some searching on the issue and I found a really fascinating idea/fix. I thought it sounded nuts, but now it makes so much sense why they have a black matte backdrop up when you try the demos at stores.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/583a2d/ok_guys_i_have_finally_fixed_all_tracking_issues/d8xnd9x

I haven't done any testing to see if there's any credence to the idea, but the anecdotal evidence seems to add up. What say you, GAF?

I have my camera on a wall about 2 feet above my tv. Camera view is looking down at me and seeing the top lights of the headset only for the most part. I turn off every single light I can so it's pretty much pitch black.

I turn on the headset and let it sit on a flat surface for 30 seconds. I sometimes power cycle.

From this I generally get no drift in most games and a tiny bit of shuddering in others. It really varies from game to game. Games that have you moving forward you tend to not notice any but games that have you stationary like Job Simulator and Arkham VR really suffer if you have any environment movement.

bumpkin

shame there is no demo. in fact i think due to the nature of VR devs should include a short demo with every game so we can try before we commit.

so many games seem to be "7/10" experiences. I have to say though, VR is the best experience Ive had in gaming, worth buying it for RE7 alone and last night I opened area x on Rez and it blew me away. I also really enjoyed Batman VR even without move controls, and thumper seems ok but a bit fast for my 40 year old reactions (doesnt help i did a lot of drugs in my 20's).

I wish there was a few more must haves, but its early days and I already can say it was worth every penny.
There is a demo, it's just part of the Demo Disc that comes with the hardware. It's downloadable separately on PSN too, I think. It just doesn't give the greatest first impression of the game, IMHO.

Adree

There is a demo, it's just part of the Demo Disc that comes with the hardware. It's downloadable separately on PSN too, I think. It just doesn't give the greatest first impression of the game, IMHO.

Different demo discs for each region. It's trivial to make separate accounts for each though since they all have it downloadable.

Adree

Rollercoaster Dreams is not a good game but I have to admit it is fun to go visit parks and get willfully sick on the rides.

ranmafan

Been playing around with some of the extra little demos that I found on the Japanese store the last few months getting ready for when I got PSVR finally, and they were all pretty nice. The Godzilla one was cool in its whole sense of scale, but way way too short sadly and just really a movie. Still it was a fun couple of minutes. The Danganronpa one was really nice too, but ended far sooner than I had hoped. Also surprised that it was in English when I played. I knew an english version had released in Hong Kong but I didn't know the Japanese version had english voices too. Was weird as I never heard the voices in English before. Still I hope they would make a full dangaronpa game like that in the future. I would love to play that.

Still so utterly blown away by the whole experiences. Im also surprised how quickly I've adapted to VR. So many people said it would take some getting used to, and while the insane first shock of how real it was was an unbelievable moment, I really haven't had trouble adjusting to it. It almost felt natural almost a minute after starting my VR experiences. So much so a few times I had to remind myself this is a game. Especially RE7. Im shocked how well that looks in VR, and how real it feels.

Got me Batman today, which I will play a bit after I put more time into RE7. Cant wait for that!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So this beta is the OS beta that also introduced Boost Mode? I'm so jealous of people who have that.
Also, I have about 110 3D Blu-ray titles.

Joystick

Also, I have about 110 3D Blu-ray titles.

4UFrcZY.gif

ManeKast

My pro is ready
My beta 4.5 firmware is ready
My camera v2 is ready
My move controller pair is ready
RE7 with season pass is ready
My 3D blurays are ready
My body is ready.....

.... my PSVR should be in stock any week now....... preordered BECAUSE of REVII, Sony should thank Capcom with a cake or something. Made VR go from 'novelty' to 'essential'.

Can't wait

D23

Got to watch Gravity 3D in Vr after the update and I must say I'm impressed. Ended up watching the whole movie because I got so into it and it's quite impressive...

Never thought in a million years that I'd be wanting to buy 3d blu ray movie.

ZehDon

Man, reading those cinema mode impressions is gonna make waiting for the roll out hard. Got about 30 3D blu-rays, but the shutter flicker and cross talk with my series 7 Samsung TV leaves a lot to be desired. Sounds like this is a fantastic way to enjoy that content now!

I don't have a Pro or any 3D blurays yet, however I am interested to know how they have improved the PQ of the cinema mode. Was it just poorly implemented in the first place or are they upscaling (for want of a better technical term) the 1080 image, then supersampling that to fit the PSVR screen? I actually have no idea what I'm talking about really so maybe there's someone who knows or can correctly figure it out. I assume the improved PQ and 3D will be there on my PS4 Amateur and not just on the Pro?

Freeman76

such a shame there isnt even a full game experience like R7 on the horizon yet alone close to release. Is it much work to convert a game into VR?

Planet

Some people are very convinced that the new beta VR firmware improved image quality in games. (Cinematic mode is surely improved) I didn't notice any change on that and there isn't anything of that sort indicated in the change log. Am I going crazy or is it just them?

Some people are very convinced that the new beta VR firmware improved image quality in games. (Cinematic mode is surely improved) I didn't notice any change on that and there isn't anything of that sort indicated in the change log. Am I going crazy or is it just them?

I mean, whenever anything gets an update like this, there's always a bit of a placebo effect in regards to people thinking things have changed. It's possible, but if it's not part of the change log then it's probably not real.

pachura

I can say first hand that the quality of the visuals was GREATLY improved - for medium (theater picture sized) or large (IMAX picture size) screen settings. Not quite razor-sharp HD, but just barely a notch below.

I am wondering how they did it, technically.
Is it some kind of antialiasing taking into account the subpixel arrangement of PSVR, something like ClearType font rendering technique?

Came back to RIGS after a couple of weeks. Holy fucking shit, not only does it look amazing on PS4 Pro, it is also incredible intense. Best VR game hands down.

Cinematic mode is what PS VR does when there isn't anything VR running, like in the system menu. The games are a totally different thing.

Oh you're talking about the games itself. I'm not sure. I thought they looked the same to me. I only played Playroom VR and the Bound demo which had really good visuals imo but I couldn't tell if that was because I wasn't on for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom