• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, is EVE Valkyrie worth for a space sim fan? I know it may be overpriced, but how about it's quality?

I really enjoy it. When its in full flow, the matches are well balanced and a ship you like it is fantastic. I think the single player content is poor though and it can be a bit of a grind once you get the 3rd ships and get to level 15. It does have a steep learning curve but not off putting.

The biggest negative I have about the game is when you get put against squads when playing on your own as you will get crushed and really not fun when that happens.

The strange thing is, I have tried it in pitch black, with lights on, lights dimmed, and it still does it. Just started Resi up and the desk on the title screen is wobbling around now. Really lost :(

Look for reflective materials that are behind you, as there are lights on the the back of the headset any reflective materials will pick up the lights. Also have you done the headset calibration that is in the system settings? Usually when I have moved the headset to a new location I will get a slight judder until i have done that.

I also find that if you can get the headset to be as close to the centre of the frame the better the tracking will be. When it comes to games standing up the further away the camera is the better due to having full range of motion with the moves without going towards the edges of the frame but there is a distance that is outside of the good tracking area (there is a good guide online by the devs behind Job Simulator for this). Sitting down is the easiest to get sorted but standing up is trickier but certainly doable just takes a bit longer to understand where the perimeters are. Once you get it down it then is really easy to set up.

Hale-XF11

Speaking of space shooters, I really hope Jackal Assault becomes a full game, as that's the one VR space shooter demo that impressed me the most. I'm more than ready to play a game like that, that keeps me inside VR for hours at a time.

androvsky

lol, good to see that 70% of development team is still working on it.

Hopefully the VR content is good if that many are working on it.

There's no telling how many are working on just the VR, unfortunately.
Of the 70% still working on the game, part is working on updates, part on DLC packages and part on the promised virtual reality experience based on Final Fantasy XV for PlayStation VR.

Great idea, I'm not sure what way you tidied the right earpiece but after trying a few different ideas this is the best I could figure out.

dBu6lN8.jpg

pTKh5sz.jpg

I popped off the back foam and unscrewed the plastic hoop the cable runs through and put the left earpiece through that. Reattached it all then ran the wire for the right headphone along the top of the back plastic where the cog is, you can make it out on the picture, I'm pointing at it. I poked bits of it in so it's nice and snug. This way both right and left dangle at almost the same length. Nice and tidy.

Good looking out Leondexter!

I just ran it along the groove just above the one you're pointing at, tucked it into the ends much as you have, and secured it with a little tape. I may re-do it like you did, though, that looks very nice!

Rigs is the only game Ive tried where motion sickness was so bad I had to switch off. A lot of people love it though.

Yup, usually I don't notice anything unusual during any VR game so far. But an intense round of RIGS with lots of jumping and fast movement even makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. Not that I need to throw up, just a little dizzy, like when you get out of a rollercoaster.

majik13

Well it's not exactly an issue. While your PS4 is working in rest mode (downloading content, uploading saves, syncing trophies and things like that) the VR box light indicates that it's on.
No there is a bug, even if you arent syncing, uploading or downloading, it stays on forever in rest mode, for many people, myself included. But it should work as you describe.

j-wood

So when I play holo ball or super hyper cube, the controller seems to have trouble tracking. Like it spazes out for a second and jumps around. Sometimes even if I hold it still. The headset seems to be fine

Is this the rest mode bug thing? Is that still an issue? Do I need to power cycle?

I've done the calibration for the move and the dual shock.

I also have hue let's and set them to max brightness and white in my room. Should I change that?

Joystick

I noticed that Rio had several very positive reviews, and it is nice to see that Lion King is on there as my niece has two young children. A Christmas Carol also has a number of great reviews.

Movies that are filmed in 3D or are animated/CGI will be better than the ones that are converted from 2D to 3D because it's never perfect even with manual editing. They tend to give you eye strain.

Edit: see these lists for real or converted 3D:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_films
http://www.realorfake3d.com/

GeeTeeCee

I Expect You To Die is finally up on the UK PSN Store (and I assume the rest of Europe too?)

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/i-expect-you-to-die/cid=EP0941-CUSA07396_00-IEYTD00000000001?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=playstation%20store&utm_campaign=PX+-+PlayStation+-+Brand+-+UK&EMCID=GM300000_store

£20 might be a bit steep for me as I'm waiting for Psychonauts.

EDIT: according to the blog, apparently it's only currently available for Aus, Czech, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, NZ, Slovakia, UK. Weird.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone who grabbed Ping Pong VR? Any impressions?

Bluecondor

Movies that are filmed in 3D or are animated/CGI will be better than the ones that are converted from 2D to 3D because it's never perfect even with manual editing. They tend to give you eye strain.

Thanks!

The real or fake list is very interesting. Your point about 2D conversions leading to poor viewing experiences is reflected in many of the reviews of "3D" movies.

Fox1304

I Expect You To Die is finally up on the UK PSN Store (and I assume the rest of Europe too?)

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/i-expect-you-to-die/cid=EP0941-CUSA07396_00-IEYTD00000000001?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=playstation%20store&utm_campaign=PX+-+PlayStation+-+Brand+-+UK&EMCID=GM300000_store

£20 might be a bit steep for me as I'm waiting for Psychonauts.

EDIT: according to the blog, apparently it's only currently available for Aus, Czech, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, NZ, Slovakia, UK. Weird.

Come on, when will it release in France :(

bumpkin

In other news, I decided to look on YouTube for an "all cutscenes" video of Psychonauts to prepare me for The Rhombus of Ruin. I have a sealed copy of the game for the original Xbox and I know it's cheap on PSN and the App Store (I'm a Mac guy), but I'm in the middle of a few games right now, I don't want to add another to the mix.

I wonder how much Rhombus is going to cost, or moreover, if it's going to be digital-only or physical as well.

muteki

First time going back to Bound after the update and wow, Smooth 1 camera makes it a completely different game. Amazing. I hope more games can offer camera options like this.

In other news, I decided to look on YouTube for an "all cutscenes" video of Psychonauts to prepare me for The Rhombus of Ruin. I have a sealed copy of the game for the original Xbox and I know it's cheap on PSN and the App Store (I'm a Mac guy), but I'm in the middle of a few games right now, I don't want to add another to the mix.

Don't buy the PSN version, it's trash.

PC version is best. It doesn't take long to play Psychonauts and I highly recommend it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Does the Battlefront mission have any Pro updates?

This isn't always the case, The Avengers for example is easily one of the best 3D blu-rays available, Gravity is another high-profile conversion job. Post-conversions can be very convincing when done properly and with care, problem is they are usually rush-jobs.

bumpkin

Don't buy the PSN version, it's trash.

PC version is best. It doesn't take long to play Psychonauts and I highly recommend it.
I do have some cash in my account on Xbox Live from Bing (Microsoft) Rewards that's expiring soon if I don't use it. Maybe I'll buy the Xbox version from there (it's the same price) so I don't have to open the sealed copy I have. I don't generally play games on my laptop. I much prefer to park my ass on the couch, sit back, and play games on a TV.

Just ordered mine, should arrive on Friday.

Mind if I ask where you ordered this from, and if you got a bundle or just the headset? I've been looking all over for a starter bundle (w/ camera and 2 moves) but everywhere I look is sold out except for resale (and for about $200-$300 more than MSRP). Really want to get one but it's already an expensive purchase...can't handle the after-market markup.

Nice, supporting the 'burgh's gaming scene. I was at their office a few weeks ago and tried that out as well as Budget Cuts, SuperHOT, and Bullet Train. Made me a believer and is the reason I'm jonesing for a PS VR.

How is the PSN version trash?

It's a laggy emulation of a mediocre PS2 port.

I do have some cash in my account on Xbox Live from Bing (Microsoft) Rewards that's expiring soon if I don't use it. Maybe I'll buy the Xbox version from there (it's the same price) so I don't have to open the sealed copy I have. I don't generally play games on my laptop. I much prefer to park my ass on the couch, sit back, and play games on a TV.

I'm spoiled given that I have a PC plugged into my plasma. This lets me play Psychonauts in native 1080p with a 360 controller.

dubq

Has anyone had any luck unloading their PSVR? Did you get anywhere close to what you paid for it? Mine has become a glorified paperweight.
Before the flames start, I thought I would be into it but it's just not for me.
=\

bumpkin

Has anyone had any luck unloading their PSVR? Did you get anywhere close to what you paid for it? Mine has become a glorified paperweight.
Before the flames start, I thought I would be into it but it's just not for me.
=\
I'm sure if you post it with a decent price in the BST thread, someone would bite.

First time going back to Bound after the update and wow, Smooth 1 camera makes it a completely different game. Amazing. I hope more games can offer camera options like this.

YES! I tried this recently and was incredibly impressed with how it worked and felt.

I tried Gravity 3D blu ray today. Definitely a cool way to watch it. I wanted to try it with audio coming through sound system but it only let me use headphones. I tried regular Blu ray version and it worked fine. Any idea why 3D version doesn't work?

Shoeless

Yeah, the ribbon surfing sequences are quite impressive now, as I'd imagined they would be.

FDC1

Yep, VR Ping Pong is up in Europe. I really liked ping pong in Sport Champions, it could be great in VR. The games looks barebone, I will wait for feedback at this price.

My word Bound looks amazing. I should have tried this out earlier, certainly going to buy this.

Now I really want Unfinished Swan, Journey, Abzu, and Flower in VR.

VR Ping Pong is up. Which of you brave souls has $15 to buy it and report back to us?

Yep, VR Ping Pong is up in Europe. I really liked ping pong in Sport Champions, it could be great in VR. The games looks barebone, I will wait for feedback at this price.

https://youtu.be/mJEiDX5V8-s

It looks rough. I also wonder if this is all the game has to offer in terms of speed. Guess this is one to avoid?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Only had mine for a few days, I wish there wasn't added 'VR Tax' on these games, a lot of them have no way got enough content to justify the price, there are definitely few game I want but I think I'm going to hold out for a sale, outside of game pricing though I've been quite impressed with it, Thumper demo was amazing.

Adree

Only had mine for a few days, I wish there wasn't added 'VR Tax' on these games, a lot of them have no way got enough content to justify the price, there are definitely few game I want but I think I'm going to hold out for a sale, outside of game pricing though I've been quite impressed with it, Thumper demo was amazing.

They just had a sale on practically all the games.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
They just had a sale on practically all the games.

I must've just missed that, I've only had my headset a couple of days, oh well, that bodes well for a future sale again I suppose, maybe Easter.

I've way over done it tonight, must of spent a good five hours playing demos, feeling a little queasy now tbh, RE7 demo was very impressive, after about ten mins you just forget about the resolution and you feel like you're actually there, I've never in my life been creeped out by any video game but playing that in VR on your own at night is not easy!

Freeman76

Thumper is really good, I find it mentally difficult to keep up but its still fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom