• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
3D on a passive 4K tv really is something. It produces a real 1080p image, so it's as good as a standard bluray, wether on a passive 1080p set it's only 720p picture , so it suffers a lot. I had a 1080p oled setup before, and couldn't bother watching 3D even though passive is really easy to watch, but IQ suffered too much. Same on the PSVR.

Yeah image quality is good on 4K passive, I had the 850V and it looked fabulous, but I do feel that the VR encompassing your vision adds to the effect, obviously 3D on a TV is limited by the confines of the TV screen borders. You kinda loose that restriction with the PSVR.

Well, I fixed my dislike of the earbuds with just a handful of twisty ties. Now the earbuds dangle right where I want them. No more tangled cords and wires hanging from my ears!

IMG_20170204_202813_zps6d7vrouy.jpg

IMG_20170204_202852_zpsive3uuox.jpg

I have to quote this again because I did it myself after seeing this. Absolutely genius. Works great.

I actually stopped using the included headphones for another pair because of the uneven lengths cause one side to tug unless I put it on a special way and throw the cords behind my shoulder.

Fixing the headphones to the cord and putting the longer end over the head makes the short end make sense and it works perfectly.

Lancelot

I wanted to separately add this to the positive PSVR Cinema mode experience I've had with the new beta that I posted above.

Now that the image quality has been dramatically cleaned up, the only other thing that discouraged me from using Cinema mode was the constant drift of the picture in 2D movies and non-VR games. I'd start a film, and within a few minutes my head (or body) ends up being turned to the left to stay focused on the center. VR mode doesn't have the issue, but it was a problem (at least for me) outside of that.

Searching online, I finally found a solution that works PERFECTLY. It's kinda bootleg, but once you get used to it you will appreciate that at least something works until a perma-fix is released. A summary of the Reddit post is this:

• Go to your PS4 home UI screen (I don't think it works in a movie or game in the foreground)
  • Look at a sharp angle to the right of where you want the image centered. In large picture mode, I also look down a bit as well for a better centered image in the end.
  • Start turning your head from right to left, and begin holding the OPTION button at a point in time for the re-center action to kick in JUST as your head faces the ideal center position (I'll stop turning my head slightly after the adjustment occurs). This entire sequence takes about two seconds, and may need a little practice.
  • Go back to your movie or game and simply watch/play as normal. The drift should be gone!
It is important to point out that if you re-set the center in a movie or game (or remove the headset to put on again later), you have to go back out and re-do this method. Still, I have not needed to worry about keeping my head still for fear of messing up the setting, i.e. in large picture mode I can look around with no issue.

So far I've watched a full Blu-ray on the PSVR without any drift. Check it out and see if it works for you!

I think it worked! Thanks! My screen drifts to the right, not to the left, but it worked anyways...

Sony must fix this ASAP for good!

For me the video/sound cutting out happens literally every time I play unless I turn HDCP off. Then it's fine.

As for the second issue I'm a dumb ass. I was holding the power button on the inline control instead of pressing it once.

I've not turned HDCP off and I often get the video / sound cutout when I initially start playing, however now that I do a reboot before playing on VR the cutouts are usually only brief and happen in the first 5 mins or so and then it works fine. Like you I had no issues with my launch PS4 in this regard. If the cutouts persist then I turn off the headset then back on again (there's enough time to do this between driveclub online races!) which always clears the problem.

I've not turned HDCP off and I often get the video / sound cutout when I initially start playing, however now that I do a reboot before playing on VR the cutouts are usually only brief and happen in the first 5 mins or so and then it works fine. Like you I had no issues with my launch PS4 in this regard. If the cutouts persist then I turn off the headset then back on again (there's enough time to do this between driveclub online races!) which always clears the problem.

Running with the BETA firmware on PS4 Pro/VR and can't say I've noticed any cutouts, although my VR playtime has been lessened. Will fire up DC tonight for a test.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well it's not exactly an issue. While your PS4 is working in rest mode (downloading content, uploading saves, syncing trophies and things like that) the VR box light indicates that it's on.

If you Google around it is an issue, mine and many other people's PU never power down unless we disable the download while asleep feature, some people say just hold the VR power button to force the PU to turn off but if you do that it doesn't power back on when you turn the Playstation back on.

Vexii

I wanted to separately add this to the positive PSVR Cinema mode experience I've had with the new beta that I posted above.

Now that the image quality has been dramatically cleaned up, the only other thing that discouraged me from using Cinema mode was the constant drift of the picture in 2D movies and non-VR games. I'd start a film, and within a few minutes my head (or body) ends up being turned to the left to stay focused on the center. VR mode doesn't have the issue, but it was a problem (at least for me) outside of that.

Searching online, I finally found a solution that works PERFECTLY. It's kinda bootleg, but once you get used to it you will appreciate that at least something works until a perma-fix is released. A summary of the Reddit post is this:

• Go to your PS4 home UI screen (I don't think it works in a movie or game in the foreground)
  • Look at a sharp angle to the right of where you want the image centered. In large picture mode, I also look down a bit as well for a better centered image in the end.
  • Start turning your head from right to left, and begin holding the OPTION button at a point in time for the re-center action to kick in JUST as your head faces the ideal center position (I'll stop turning my head slightly after the adjustment occurs). This entire sequence takes about two seconds, and may need a little practice.
  • Go back to your movie or game and simply watch/play as normal. The drift should be gone!
It is important to point out that if you re-set the center in a movie or game (or remove the headset to put on again later), you have to go back out and re-do this method. Still, I have not needed to worry about keeping my head still for fear of messing up the setting, i.e. in large picture mode I can look around with no issue.

So far I've watched a full Blu-ray on the PSVR without any drift. Check it out and see if it works for you!

Quoting to easily reference this - Will test it when I get the chance to do so in an hour or two - just played 3 hours of Yakuza 0 in cinematic mode and it drove me nuts.

I hope it works!

j-wood

Does the new version of the PS camera provide any benefits to VR over the old one? Does it track better or anything?

I have the old one and I've noticed that jerky movement sometimes. Wondering if I should upgrade.

Grinchy

Banned
Does the new version of the PS camera provide any benefits to VR over the old one? Does it track better or anything?

I have the old one and I've noticed that jerky movement sometimes. Wondering if I should upgrade.

Nope. Same questionable tracking no matter what. It's just not up to the task of flawless tracking, but it saved Sony a ton of R&D money.

PSVR2 on PS5 is guaranteed to use a new control and tracking system.

Rumour has it that the newer one actually doesn't track as well as it blobs the lights compared to the old model giving a more defined light to track

ranmafan

Rumour has it that the newer one actually doesn't track as well as it blobs the lights compared to the old model giving a more defined light to track

Interesting, I should replug in my old camera and see if I notice any differences. I ended up using the newer one since it was easy to adjust its angle and all which I like. But if that rumor is true I would put the old camera back in.

JDH

LTTP: Just played London Heist after owning my PSVR since launch, and WOW. This has to be one of the best experiences I tried to date. I honestly don't know what took me so long.

Now i'm PSVR crazy again.

Interesting, I should replug in my old camera and see if I notice any differences. I ended up using the newer one since it was easy to adjust its angle and all which I like. But if that rumor is true I would put the old camera back in.

Someone on GAF did a test and some photos of what each camera was picking up, the older camera the lights were more defined which you would imagine should make for better tracking.

LTTP: Just played London Heist after owning my PSVR since launch, and WOW. This has to be one of the best experiences I tried to date. I honestly don't know what took me so long.

Now i'm PSVR crazy again.
Any game that makes extensive use of the move controllers for in-game "hands" really cranks up the immersion. I love cockpit games, and RE7 is the coolest thing since ever, but London Heist and Batman capitalize on that sense of presence that you can only get from being able to better interact with your environment. It's a little silly when your character is constantly performing inexplicable acts--as if Harpo Marx had been dropped into the lead of a Guy Ritchie movie--but all of the "oh shit, I can do that?" moments are bliss to discover. I mean, nobody in game seems to care that I'm constantly opening and closing the car door, playing with every single thing, and throwing shit around like a complete moron while they're trying to talk to me. It does break things a little, but it's fun nonetheless.

I have jumped in balls deep.

I have purchased:

1) PS4 Pro (going to trade my old PS4 at Gamestop)
2) PSVR preorder (Until Dawn bundle)
3) RE7
4) Carnival Games, Pinball FX + Season, Thumper, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes on PSPlus sale
5) Hubble 3D Blu Ray

This better be worth it. ;)

I have purchased:

3) RE7
4) Carnival Games, Pinball FX + Season, Thumper, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes on PSPlus sale
5) Hubble 3D Blu Ray

6) Rez Infinite

Tailzo

I have purchased:

3) RE7
5) Hubble 3D Blu Ray

Congrats :)

*Splinter

I have purchased:

3) RE7
5) Hubble 3D Blu Ray

You missed rigs!

by about a month...

ffvorax

I have purchased:

3) RE7
5) Hubble 3D Blu Ray

If you will like it, you MUST buy Batman (play it with two moves, like until dawn should be played too).

I also reccomend Robinson, it's really nice adventure game, with some puzzle and dinosaurs.

joeblow

Aside from RE7, he is saving money buying VR games on sale. Tomorrow will probably offer a few more discounted titles on the PSN store.

Still, if possible I suggest first timers get VR Worlds (Ocean's Descent and London Heist) and Batman to maximize the wow factor of the initial VR experience.

I got RE7 for like $47.99 from Amazon. $50 trade in bonus on the PS4. Etc. Stretching the dollar out everywhere I can.

I will be buying Rez + Batman as sales occur. Pretty much all my digital software is bought on sale as a matter of principle. Will also keep an eye out for VR Worlds physical and digital.

I'll also likely get Doctor Strange on 3D BD assuming my impressions are good with Hubble 3D but my primary interest is in documentary.

I got RE7 for like $47.99 from Amazon. $50 trade in bonus on the PS4. Etc. Stretching the dollar out everywhere I can.

I will be buying Rez + Batman as sales occur. Pretty much all my digital software is bought on sale as a matter of principle. Will also keep an eye out for VR Worlds physical and digital.

I'll also likely get Doctor Strange on 3D BD assuming my impressions are good with Hubble 3D but my primary interest is in documentary.
yeah, let us know about Hubble 3D. I'm really interested in that one.

Freeman76

I found Batman to be incredible even without move controllers. i honestly think VR was worth every penny. Every game I have has been superb:

Batman
RE7
Thumper
Rez
Headmaster
Pinball FX2
Eagle Flight
Playroom (free but sweet)
Tumble VR

I think I have an unhealthy addiction to buying VR games, I've only had it a week, luckily there arent many more that appeal to me (phew)

joeblow

Another important recommendation is to get Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.

It does not need to be played early, but I suggest you go through this horror arcade rail shooter before RE7 (only takes a few hours, but is enjoyble for replays). The issue is that if you play RE7 first, the creepy experience of UD RoB could be greatly reduced to where you feel like you are on It's a Small World at Disneyland.

Vexii

So I just got finished experimenting with this, and either something doesn't add up, or it's a placebo. I tried everything I could to use this method to stop drifting - turning my head while holding Options, turning my head AFTER holding Options... Stopping my head when calibration completes, stopping my head long after it completes... I tried playing a game without touching Options at all, but soon found that I was craning my neck rather uncomfortably within about 15 minutes.

Long story short, I still experience Cinematic Mode drift like always. The annoying thing is that sometimes the drift will just stop happening on its own, and sometimes I'll blink and suddenly realise my screen has drifted almost entirely left/right within a minute of recalibrating it.

For those of you who claims this works, how much do you move your head when using Cinematic Mode? Do you usually experience drift in one direction or multiple directions? What is your experience with it all?

I just want my nice headset to work :(

Another important recommendation is to get Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.

It does not need to be played early, but I suggest you go through this horror arcade rail shooter before RE7 (only takes a few hours, but is enjoyble for replays). The issue is that if you play RE7 first, the creepy experience of UD RoB could be greatly reduced to where you feel like you are on It's a Small World at Disneyland.

My PSVR bundle will include Rush of Blood. And I was planning on playing it first, actually.

I really hope for a Dead Space game at some point. Something in the vein of Extraction, even.

So what's the deal with RIGS? Community die out? I'm not really looking into getting into a community game right now anyway, don't really have the time. Maybe someday.

Freeman76

My PSVR bundle will include Rush of Blood. And I was planning on playing it first, actually.

I really hope for a Dead Space game at some point. Something in the vein of Extraction, even.

So what's the deal with RIGS? Community die out? I'm not really looking into getting into a community game right now anyway, don't really have the time. Maybe someday.

Rigs is the only game Ive tried where motion sickness was so bad I had to switch off. A lot of people love it though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, I fixed my dislike of the earbuds with just a handful of twisty ties. Now the earbuds dangle right where I want them. No more tangled cords and wires hanging from my ears!

This is MASTERFUL, yet simple and obvious at the same time. I'm doing this, this week!

Bluecondor

I've watched a good amount of 3D movies so I can make a few recommendations. I agree with the person earlier saying imax titles are impressive (some, not all). Some others id recommend for 3D (not taste, thats your call)...

Adventures of TinTin
Sanctum
Kung Fu Panda 2
Harold and Kumar Christmas
John Carter
Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2
Life of Pi
A Christmas Carol
Avengers
Meet The Robinsons
Journey 2 The Mysterious Island
Toy Story 1,2 & 3
Finding Nemo
Lion King
POTC 4
Captain America 1
Transformers 3
Brave
Gravity
Hobbits
Jurassic World
Prometheus
Star Trek Into Darkness
Rio

Hey! Thanks for writing out this list.

I noticed that Rio had several very positive reviews, and it is nice to see that Lion King is on there as my niece has two young children. A Christmas Carol also has a number of great reviews. This is definitely on my radar screen for the next Christmas season.

Great username by the way (I am a native Pittsburgher)....

mckmas8808

RE7 in VR is amazing, just amazing, I cannot imagine playing it without VR, it is a game changer. Sony really needs to get on the horse and get more full fledged AAA games on VR, many games would work amazing in VR. My worry is support for games like RE are the exception, the tech is too damn good to be squandered Sony.

I tried to play it in non-VR and got bored. I don't think that's a flaw of the game, but more to just how much VR adds to the game. After 20 minutes of straight playing the game, you feel like you are actually there.

mckmas8808

Cinema mode on the PSVR was always a disappointing missed opportunity to me. At launch the video quality was barely above 480P quality for movies or games, and the constant need to re-center the image because of drift was highly annoying.

Well, the latest beta (one dload for the PS4, one for the PSVR) fixes the first problem, and I can say first hand that the quality of the visuals was GREATLY improved - for medium (theater picture sized) or large (IMAX picture size) screen settings. Not quite razor-sharp HD, but just barely a notch below. Sound can be fed through the headset, but since 3D audio isn't an issue, I leave them off and stick with the 5.1 arrangement I normally enjoy. Overall, this beta is an awesome upgrade.

BTW, for someone above who mentioned minor pixel shimmer yesterday, it is there but to me it is only seen on the extreme edges of the headset's viewpoint, and on large picture mode only. As soon as I move my head towards that area, it sharpens up. Is that what's called foveated imaging? Either way, it isn't an issue at all as you almost ever really notice or think about it.

Now, with all that said, I will still mostly watch my 2D Blu-rays and such on my 60" HD screen since I'm only 8-feet away from it unless I want the "IMAX" setting experience.

What about 3D Blu-ray? My HDTV outputs 3D so I already have a collection, but with the PSVR beta update, the experience is now tremendously enhanced. With an HDTV, the 3D is not quite as in-your-face impressive as it is on PSVR, whether choosing medium or large screen size.

Also, the image quality is much, MUCH better than standard HDTV 3D because PSVR isn't darkened like the shaded lenses of the 3D glasses. There is also no shutter speed flutter such as with the HDTV 3D glasses open and close alternate lenses, which again points to a far more pristine image on PSVR 3D.

Compared to every single 3D video viewing experience I have tried over the years, PSVR tech is easily the best.

Does watching 2D movies in PSVR feel like 720p now?

Qronicle

Is there any news about the VR addon for Dirt Rally? The Codemasters blog has gone very silent :/

Since Dirt is one of the few titles still supporting my Fanatec, I'm pretty eager to try it :)

Adree

Guys, is EVE Valkyrie worth for a space sim fan? I know it may be overpriced, but how about it's quality?

It's beautiful but it's primarily a multiplayer game so be mindful of that. Try the demo disc version first (it's very short but will give you some indication of how it controls.)

I tried to play it in non-VR and got bored. I don't think that's a flaw of the game, but more to just how much VR adds to the game. After 20 minutes of straight playing the game, you feel like you are actually there.

I tried playing on the big screen for a while, but found it very dark and nowhere near as much fun.

Though 'fun' may be the wrong word: just finished a scary bit, and the feeling is lingering a bit. Mid-game light spoiler:
the area after the lantern door really got to me; creepy atmosphere and strange goings-on are worse for me than monsters. A shotgun won't save me from the darkness.

D23

omg i just bought 3d movie from amazon... never thought in a million years id be buying 3d movie. But after watching Gravity 3d in PSVR im hooooookeeed yo

Guys, is EVE Valkyrie worth for a space sim fan? I know it may be overpriced, but how about it's quality?

I love it. Controls beautifully and looks great running on a Pro. It's a no-brainer for a space sim fan. Easily the best cockpit game on PSVR.

Just make sure you have PS+.

BlvckFox

Gold Member

Incredible!

On an unrelated note was really hoping Robinson's journey was slashed down to something more reasonable than 45 bucks.

Freeman76

Does anyone have a solution for the image jumping around? Even if I'm playing Pinball VR the table is slightly moving up and down, it's so offputting I have to stop playing it. Due to having to play some games standing and some sitting I have positioned the camera around chest height (slightly below) when standing and when seated its slightly above head height aiming down towards my head.

If I play R7 it seems fine, but other games its not good. Headmaster is difficult to play and Tumble VR is pretty much impossible, the controller is easily out of bounds and I have to hold it up to my chest almost in order to have it on the same level as the blocks in the background.

Help lol

Does anyone have a solution for the image jumping around? Even if I'm playing Pinball VR the table is slightly moving up and down, it's so offputting I have to stop playing it. Due to having to play some games standing and some sitting I have positioned the camera around chest height (slightly below) when standing and when seated its slightly above head height aiming down towards my head.

If I play R7 it seems fine, but other games its not good. Headmaster is difficult to play and Tumble VR is pretty much impossible, the controller is easily out of bounds and I have to hold it up to my chest almost in order to have it on the same level as the blocks in the background.

Help lol

Do you have any lights in the background, like a microwave clock or indicator light? Reflections on mirrors or glass...etc. Always best to play in a low-light environment with no other light sources visible to the camera.

Great idea, I'm not sure what way you tidied the right earpiece but after trying a few different ideas this is the best I could figure out.

dBu6lN8.jpg

pTKh5sz.jpg

I popped off the back foam and unscrewed the plastic hoop the cable runs through and put the left earpiece through that. Reattached it all then ran the wire for the right headphone along the top of the back plastic where the cog is, you can make it out on the picture, I'm pointing at it. I poked bits of it in so it's nice and snug. This way both right and left dangle at almost the same length. Nice and tidy.

Good looking out Leondexter!

Freeman76

Do you have any lights in the background, like a microwave clock or indicator light? Reflections on mirrors or glass...etc. Always best to play in a low-light environment with no other light sources visible to the camera.

The strange thing is, I have tried it in pitch black, with lights on, lights dimmed, and it still does it. Just started Resi up and the desk on the title screen is wobbling around now. Really lost :(

The strange thing is, I have tried it in pitch black, with lights on, lights dimmed, and it still does it. Just started Resi up and the desk on the title screen is wobbling around now. Really lost :(

How far away is the camera from the headset? What kind of angle, is the camera looking down towards the headset?

Freeman76

How far away is the camera from the headset? What kind of angle, is the camera looking down towards the headset?

Its around 6ft away, and looking slightly down towards headset. I moved the camera to on top of my TV (which is wall mounted) to see if that made a difference but it hasnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom