• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adree

Sadly it seems that the screen blacking out has not been fixed on the Pro in the new 4.5 BETA firmware for PSVR Really hope that there is a fix for this as certain games it's imperative you keep view at all time. DRIVECLUBVR being one of them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfeS6lRyt38&t

Trackmania is the only that does it to me and I just restart the race and it fixes it. Driveclub I can lean out the passenger door and dangle my head against the rolling asphalt and it don't care.

ranmafan

I was wondering about Crystal Rift too. Seems like a game I will enjoy, especially since I like those old school drpg games. Im going to take a chance on it sometime soon.

bumpkin

Free Psychonauts download with Rhombus of Ruin digital preorder... Of course it's after I bought the game on XB1. Oh well, I used cashed-in Bing Rewards for it anyways.

I'm about an hour in (to Psychonauts), it's not too bad. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Free Psychonauts download with Rhombus of Ruin... Of course it's after I bought the game on XB1. Oh well, I used cashed-in Bing Rewards for it anyways.

I'm about an hour in (to Psychonauts), it's not too bad. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Oooh!

Edit- Oh, it's a pre-order bonus.

Free Psychonauts download with Rhombus of Ruin digital preorder... Of course it's after I bought the game on XB1. Oh well, I used cashed-in Bing Rewards for it anyways.

Do you mean Xbox 360?

Adree

Yeah, watched some gameplay of the Vive version in the past. I'm more interested in how the port to PS VR is handled.

Sounds like if you want to do two-handed serving you'll have a problem when one move wand overlaps another and causes it to freak out.

cakely

As you unlock more items and powers, make sure you use them with every character you meet. There's a surprising amount of good, hidden dialog in there.

muteki

Trackmania is on sale in the EU and I guess I will jump on it because it is a fun couch MP game.
How is the VR mode?
Interesting in that there isn't really anything out there like it at the moment but it isn't really what you first think of when you say "trackmania in VR". I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't into the non-VR portion, as they are essentially separate games. The VR portion alone I wouldn't say is worth more than 5 dollars.

Headbutt Factory Japanese Release Date Revealed

Headbutt Factory [February 17] Ѧ ¢

Title arriving to the western region in March.

It is Pro Enhanced too.

Edit:
Contents_About_01.png

D23

Guys.. I've been really enjoying watching 3D Blu ray on the vr. So far I've watched gravity 3D and Dredd 3d and its a really great experience. Might need to start a 3d blu ray soon.. luckily they are pretty cheap now on Amazon!

Guys.. I've been really enjoying watching 3D Blu ray on the vr. So far I've watched gravity 3D and Dredd 3d and its a really great experience. Might need to start a 3d blu ray soon.. luckily they are pretty cheap now on Amazon!

is 3d bluray playback already in or does it come with the firmware 4.5 beta?

playstation vr came in a day early. setting it up now, will update with first impressions.

1.Ok, this set up is kind of a pain in the ass. I thought just moving the playstation to a different room for vr would be the easy way to go. I'm going to have to buy a new cabinet or something cause this is a chore.. I WANT TO PLAY
2. already feeling a little woozy during initial set up. I did not expect to feel this claustrophobic...shit
3. still never could get the test text to be clear but started anyway. Tried Harmonix vr demo first and was pretty meh at first. Then it got the easel demo and I was sold. I was dancing and painting, I can only imagine once I get my own music on there. Picking up a psn card tomorrow to get this
4. played for about two hours more stopping to eat and have a break. Rigs gave me a "this is huge" feel but in my short time with it I felt a little sick. Next was the kitchen demo and I almost noped right outta there at the menu. Stuck with it and it wasn't that bad. Hoping to work my way up to RE7 proper by the weekend. Holding off on Bound until I need a hug after starting up RE7. Think I'm going to hop on a few more demos and call it a night.

started out a little poor, but good first impression. Can't wait to really dig into it this weekend.

playstation vr came in a day early. setting it up now, will update with first impressions.

1.Ok, this set up is kind of a pain in the ass. I thought just moving the playstation to a different room for vr would be the easy way to go. I'm going to have to buy a new cabinet or something cause this is a chore.. I WANT TO PLAY
2. already feeling a little woozy during initial set up. I did not expect to feel this claustrophobic...shit
3. still never could get the test text to be clear but started anyway. Tried Harmonix vr demo first and was pretty meh at first. Then it got the easel demo and I was sold. I was dancing and painting, I can only imagine once I get my own music on there. Picking up a psn card tomorrow to get this
4. played for about two hours more stopping to eat and have a break. Rigs gave me a "this is huge" feel but in my short time with it I felt a little sick. Next was the kitchen demo and I almost noped right outta there at the menu. Stuck with it and it wasn't that bad. Hoping to work my way up to RE7 proper by the weekend. Holding off on Bound until I need a hug after starting up RE7. Think I'm going to hop on a few more demos and call it a night.

started out a little poor, but good first impression. Can't wait to really dig into it this weekend.

Don't forget PlayroomVR lots of free mini games including an amazing platformer in Robot Rescue

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Still no one on Ping Pong VR?

Gave it a try just know.

First try was a mess. Paddle would jitter all over the place. Unplayable. I was on beta firmware 4.50 tho so I switched back to 4.07. Paddle would not jitter this time around but even tho the game appears to be running at 90hz there was some jitter on the ball as well as on the table (when leaning left-right). I though there might be something wrong with the new PSVR firmware as well, which comes with 4.50. It ups the PSVR ver from 2.00 to 2.40, but you have to manually install it in the PSVR settings. So, having already uninstalled the "main" 4.50 fw I went to the PSVR options screen to see if the fw fell back to 2.00 automatically. It didn't. Was still 2.40. Upon trying to revert to 2.00 I get a "cannot complete" error so I'm stuck with 2.40 on the PSVR side of things, even tho the PS4 firmware is 4.07.

Keeping that in mind, and understanding I'm a decent table tennis player in real life, I've had a very hard time hitting the ball correctly with regards to power as if the z-wobble causes to randomly add/remove power from my shots. Will test more later but I'm curious to read impressions from those with "clean" systems (PS4 fw 4.07 + PSVR fw 2.40).

I bought Psychonauts for the $2 off discount and to support Double Fine. I normally wouldn't pay $18 for a three hour experience. I know I've said this before, but the input lag on the PS4 version of the PS2 Classics Psychonauts is terrible. Among the worst I've ever seen. Many frames of lag between controller input and on-screen response!

Kyolux

Gave it a try just know.

First try was a mess. Paddle would jitter all over the place. Unplayable. I was on beta firmware 4.50 tho so I switched back to 4.07. Paddle would not jitter this time around but even tho the game appears to be running at 90hz there was some jitter on the ball as well as on the table (when leaning left-right). I though there might be something wrong with the new PSVR firmware as well, which comes with 4.50. It ups the PSVR ver from 2.00 to 2.40, but you have to manually install it in the PSVR settings. So, having already uninstalled the "main" 4.50 fw I went to the PSVR options screen to see if the fw fell back to 2.00 automatically. It didn't. Was still 2.40. Upon trying to revert to 2.00 I get a "cannot complete" error so I'm stuck with 2.40 on the PSVR side of things, even tho the PS4 firmware is 4.07.

Keeping that in mind, and understanding I'm a decent table tennis player in real life, I've had a very hard time hitting the ball correctly with regards to power as if the z-wobble causes to randomly add/remove power from my shots. Will test more later but I'm curious to read impressions from those with "clean" systems (PS4 fw 4.07 + PSVR fw 2.40).

That doesn't sound good. Hope that it's really just a firmware issue that's gonna be fixed.

Planet

First try was a mess. Paddle would jitter all over the place. Unplayable. I was on beta firmware 4.50 tho so I switched back to 4.07.
Did you try a simple reboot first? Did not encounter any such problems in general on 4.5 yet and if others had, there would have been a GAFplosion already! XD

Yet I did notice that the rest mode problem still exists, always reboot before you put on the headset.

bumpkin

I bought Psychonauts for the $2 off discount and to support Double Fine. I normally wouldn't pay $18 for a three hour experience. I know I've said this before, but the input lag on the PS4 version of the PS2 Classics Psychonauts is terrible. Among the worst I've ever seen. Many frames of lag between controller input and on-screen response!
I'm not crazy about the price for Rhombus either, but then again, I paid $16 for Batman (GCU) and that can be finished in an hour and change if you don't count the hidden stuff. I wonder if Rhombus will have much replay value.

The Xbox version via 360 BC isn't terrible. It hiccups for a split second every so often, and the audio cuts out for a moment here and there, but by and large it's very playable. I think I'm about halfway through the game (just got to the "Milkman Conspiracy") and have been enjoying it. Lots of fun bits of humor and weird as fuck characters.

EDIT: Not to derail the thread into Psychonauts talk, but the Milkman Conspiracy segment is tedious garbage... I hope this isn't an indication of how the back half of the game's going to be.

Kyolux

Did you try a simple reboot first? Did not encounter any such problems in general on 4.5 yet and if others had, there would have been a GAFplosion already! XD

Yet I did notice that the rest mode problem still exists, always reboot before you put on the headset.

I don't think there'll be any simple fix for the rest mode problem sadly. I think it's a matter of flushing completely the ram and doing so while the system is running or in rest mode wouldn't really work out too well.

j-wood

I don't think there'll be any simple fix for the rest mode problem sadly. I think it's a matter of flushing completely the ram and doing so while the system is running or in rest mode wouldn't really work out too well.

What about simply unplugging the camera? Isn't the rest mode thing due to something about the camera retaining images or something

Planet

What about simply unplugging the camera? Isn't the rest mode thing due to something about the camera retaining images or something
First, I'd consider unplugging the camera waaay more inconvenient than a reboot, but second: I don't think it works that way. There seems to be some task residing in memory that somehow interfers, you can observe that without VR when you use rest mode intensively. After many rest and resume calls, the system gets slower and games start to stutter where they normally don't. Even crashes get more likely. Reboot every now and then (and before each VR session) and you are fine.

Kyolux

First, I'd consider unplugging the camera waaay more inconvenient than a reboot, but second: I don't think it works that way. There seems to be some task residing in memory that somehow interfers, you can observe that without VR when you use rest mode intensively. After many rest and resume calls, the system gets slower and games start to stutter where they normally don't. Even crashes get more likely. Reboot every now and then (and before each VR session) and you are fine.

Yeah, I don't think it's the camera but just a lot of memory that isn't dumped, slowly slowing down things to a crawl. It's just more apparent sooner with VR because of how much memory bandwidth it uses.

I don't have a PS VR yet but I'm looking to buy one very soon. In the meantime I've been researching things and came across this YouTube video about improving image quality in the headset by using a Marseille 4K upconversion cable. Has anyone tried this? I'm skeptical but intrigued..

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

Did you update the PSVR firmware as well or just the PS4 one? Just curious.

I did try rebooting. I actually switched back to 4.07 and forth to 4.50 a few times. I had issues only with 4.50. I tried Batman, Fruit Ninja, London Heist, Lethal VR. DS4 tracking never glitched. Only Moves one. They litteraly teleport erratically for about 20 seconds. Then they work fine for another 20 seconds and then again they teleport for 20 seconds etc. It's cyclical like that. If I turn on the controllers simultaneously, they start glitching simultaneously. If I turn them at different times, they start glitching at different times. ie If Move #2 is turned on 5 secs after Move #1, Move #2 starts glitching exactly 5 seconds after Move #1 does.

Very odd, but fascinating behaviour.

tariniel

I wish there was a rental service for these or something. I'd really like to just try it out at home for an hour or two with the RE7 demo to see if it's something I want to spend money on.

Grinchy

Banned
I wish there was a rental service for these or something. I'd really like to just try it out at home for an hour or two with the RE7 demo to see if it's something I want to spend money on.

Yeah it's a ton of money for something that is so hard to understand without having tried it. It really can't be conveyed with videos or words.

Joystick

DS4 tracking never glitched. Only Moves one. They litteraly teleport erratically for about 20 seconds. Then they work fine for another 20 seconds and then again they teleport for 20 seconds etc.

I was worried by this so I did some testing as I'd only used DS4 games since the upgrade to PS4 4.5 and PS VR 2.40.

My Moves work fine - same as before the upgrade. I spent about an hour in Tumble VR and Harmonix Music VR (easel and dance). I have no idea what could be the issue with yours. Try fully powering off the PS VR PU, unplug camera, recalibrate PS VR.

What I did notice immediately after upgrading to PS VR 2.40 was cinema mode drifting which I had not experienced before. I was using cinema mode to do a "before" check, then upgraded, and 10 minutes later was using it to do an "after" check and comparison. After upgrading I was seeing quite a lot of drift in cinema mode when using the system menu, playing games, or watching 3D Blu-ray. The sharp angle rotate and reset trick seemed to improve it. Thankfully today after a restart the drifting doesn't appear to be present - only minor like before the upgrade.

the_id

Got the set yesterday. OMG it is amazing. Played Thumper, Rez, Super Hypercube. These were great on rails experiences.

Then tried the ones where locomotion is involved. nausea city. Had to take a break. Tried RE:7. Can't make it through the first area without feeling sick. I think there's a gradual tolerance that need to develop with VR. Definetly going to take my time.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I was worried by this so I did some testing as I'd only used DS4 games since the upgrade to PS4 4.5 and PS VR 2.40.

My Moves work fine - same as before the upgrade. I spent about an hour in Tumble VR and Harmonix Music VR (easel and dance). I have no idea what could be the issue with yours. Try fully powering off the PS VR PU, unplug camera, recalibrate PS VR.

What I did notice immediately after upgrading to PS VR 2.40 was cinema mode drifting which I had not experienced before. I was using cinema mode to do a "before" check, then upgraded, and 10 minutes later was using it to do an "after" check and comparison. After upgrading I was seeing quite a lot of drift in cinema mode when using the system menu, playing games, or watching 3D Blu-ray. The sharp angle rotate and reset trick seemed to improve it. Thankfully today after a restart the drifting doesn't appear to be present - only minor like before the upgrade.

Oh that's reassuring. Thanks! It definitely sounds like I need to power off (unplug) the PU. I never had to do it before the update. Only had the habit to simply power off the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom