• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really like the Wormholes update in Eve: Valkyrie. Especially like the entrance to each game in the new mode, I look forward to see all different variations. The reticle changes are much nicer as well.

ManeKast

Dirt Rally VR IS LIVE au.

Bought the bundle. $69au.

43.31gb.

Full game. VR. Fully loaded: Ford, Mini and Rally Cross pack included.

Special Price until 27/2.

ManeKast

Holy crap I want this, 2017 q1 has been insane for my wallet.

I'm fully broke. In debt actually. Luckily I'm injured and actually have time to play all these amazing games, even then, there's not enough time. Best quater in decades.

Horizon AND Switch/Zelda/Mass Effect/Nier incoming for me too.

bumpkin

Can't wait to read impressions about Dirt VR. Especially on PS4P. Let's hope visual fidelity is better than Driveclub's.
Same. I'm pretty curious about it. If there's one thing Codemasters are awesome at, it's racing games. If there's one other thing, it's great graphics.

If it's worth its salt, I may have to try to track down a copy of the game.

Can't wait to read impressions about Dirt VR. Especially on PS4P. Let's hope visual fidelity is better than Driveclub's.

It should be. Driveclub VR didn't take full advantage of Pro hardware, but DiRT Rally is getting Pro support specifically for the VR version while the base game remains unchanged.

ManeKast

Doesn't seem to be live in the Canadian store yet, but I'm anxious for any impressions.

You'll be playing before me. I got 39gb to go at 3.5Mbit. Lol. 25-30 more hrs.

Aussie regional internet is that bad.

I got a pro and VR ready to go.... so I'm waiting for impressions too!

I heard Dirt Rally is very simmy which doesn't really jive with me. I can't even play Driveclub.

Does using a wheel make sim racers easier to control? If this is good in VR it might be worth the purchase.

I'm excited for drive club. the code masters team picked up many of the evolution team after the layoff. I suspect that's how the PSVR version came together so quickly. Dirt rally is essentially what drive club would've look like had the team continued support, I think. depending on how this sales, drive club for with VR its probably going to be something very very special now that the combined teams are on their sophomore VR efforts.

ElNino

I'm excited for drive club. the code masters team picked up many of the evolution team after the layoff. I suspect that's how the PSVR version came together so quickly. Dirt rally is essentially what drive club would've look like had the team continued support, I think. depending on how this sales, drive club for with VR its probably going to be something very very special now that the combined teams are on their sophomore VR efforts.
I thought Codemasters said the Evolution team was working on something different than Dirt, so I'm not sure how much (if any) input they had on Rally. I believe Dirt Rally had VR on the Vive before DC VR came out, so it seems they would have their own expertise.

The base game never went on sale since the announcement of the VR DLC, gonna have to pick up a used physical copy and buy the DLC :(

Cant wait, now need to buy a wheel.

Haines

Banned
I'm fully broke. In debt actually. Luckily I'm injured and actually have time to play all these amazing games, even then, there's not enough time. Best quater in decades.

Horizon AND Switch/Zelda/Mass Effect/Nier incoming for me too.

You realize there's a million games already out that are just as good and cheap right?

You should not be in debt over games and still buying brand new ones.

So I know that I'm super late to the PS VR party but oh my god. I've heard all the horror stories of blur, crappy graphics and nausea, of janky tracking... But I had never been able to try it for myself. I ended up cancelling my preorder because I had never been able to try VR at all.

Today I went into a mall for something completely unrelated and they had a PS VR booth. Because it was a working day in the morning the mall was pretty much empty and I had the PS VR totally for myself. There was no one there to show me how to put on the headset but it was so intuitive that in no time I figured it out and was good to go with clear visuals and perfect focus. I could only try the VR Worlds demo and it blew my mind off. I tried Luge, London Heist's tutorial and the space mech one. Silky smooth 60 FPS that felt just as smooth as playing on any normal monitor on my PC, even though "supposedly" you need much higher framerates in VR. I didn't feel any such thing. Head tracking was completely flawless, and I experienced no nausea or discomfort of any kind whatsoever for the half hour or so of uninterrupted play. I just "got" everything right from the start.

In my experience, in terms of controls it just doesn't feel any different from playing on a TV, with the added axis control of your head. Normal FPS two-joystick controls feel totally natural and they work great, and I think designing games around things like teleports to combat nausea might actually limit the potential of game design. My father needed to take the headset off after literally 5 seconds of VR Luge, but my girlfriend (who plays games regularly) got into the action quickly. It seems to me like the kind of people who would get sick from VR are the same people who would get sick from Sonic Generations or a fast arena FPS played with a mouse on a normal 2D monitor. But admittedly this is totally anecdotal.

I also didn't feel things like, for instance, feeling that if I crashed into a wall or an obstacle it was going to actually hit me. I felt totally immersed from a visual and mental standpoint, but I felt completely disconnected physically from the experience, which I think is actually good. The lack of actual bodily feedback means that you don't feel any discomfort.

It really did blow my mind, and now I can't wait to get my own. I want to try Driveclub VR, but I fear Resident 7 would scar me for life. I'm also greatly anticipating Farpoint, Gran Turismo and Ace Combat but unfortunately those aren't out yet. Still, this thing was so damn cool that I might just order one right this instant just to play Driveclub.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gets too damn hot man...that's like one of the only reasons I need a break every 15 min or so. Where's the Nyko VR Cooler Booster Max (TM)?!

Planet

Silky smooth 60 FPS that felt just as smooth as playing on any normal monitor on my PC, even though "supposedly" you need much higher framerates in VR.
You actually experienced silky smooth 120 FPS, though only every other frame was completely new. With reprojection at 60 FPS base, you adjust the headset viewpoint for each frame twice, then display it. And then there are games that give you 90 or 120 true frames, each reprojected just once, then. Anyway you never get "just 60 fps" with PS VR.

Congrats on the eye herpes!!
Just kidding obviously ;)

Your father tried the worst demo out of them all, you should show him Ocean Descent when you get your PSVR.
Get Rush of Blood to test your courage, if you don't shit your pants, you should definitely give RE7 a chance, it's a game changer! Oh and there is actually a free RE7 demo on the store.

Guys! I'm borrowing a PS VR from a friend! What games are BEST for it? I just bought Batman and have RE7 but what else?

Note: The cheaper the better since it's my roomies PS4

ManeKast

You realize there's a million games already out that are just as good and cheap right?

You should not be in debt over games and still buying brand new ones.

I'm ahead of my backlog, I'm good. Played everything I wanted to since PS4 launch and Wii U this gen, and been gaming hard since the 90s :) There's a couple on my pile of shame but I'm not going back to them, bored.

I'm only in a small amount of debt temporarily, being injured badly in my feet and stuck on a couch for 3 months or so means I'm playing and plan to play more this quater than usual but yes; out of whats coming up I'm only buying Zelda/Switch and the rest I listed will have to wait a long while :-/

I've had the PSVR for a few weeks and haven't played a ton but definitely love it and can't wait for what the future holds.

Sometimes it's the simple things that get you. I had my younger brothers over last night to try out the VR so I bought RE7. They played for a little while and then passed it over to me.

The jump from the real world directly into the mansion was surreal. I'm so used to being handed the controller and playing a game. But going into the VR is a completely different experience. I was genuinely warped into the video game that I was previously watching.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
1) avoid alcohol
2) aim a small fan at your face
3) no socks or shoes

I actually found that being drunk alleviates all VR sickness for me. I couldn't last more than 5 minutes in HalfLife 2 VR in the DK2, but if was substantially drunk I could do it for hours.

So how well is PS VR doing in terms of sales? Not just the headset but also the games. Does it seem like it's gonna get support going forward? Really wanna pull the trigger over here.

Edit: also unsure if I should wait for a revision.

ManeKast

Thanks I'm actually borrowing that from him--forgot to mention it. Any others?

If you have move controllers 'Until Dawn: Rush of Blood' is meant to be a good scary horror shooter. Can play with dual shock but much harder.

I heard a LOT that 'Werewolves Within' is a great social / psychological game.

Racing: if your in eu/au Trackmania is on spesh for $18aud and has a great VR component. Driveclub VR is quite rad too.

I'm new to VR. REVII is the best so far but loving Driveclub, Trackmania and the Playroom a LOT.

MikeBison

Got my PSVR at launch and was very happy with it but more traditional games have been taking up my time. Been playing Resi 7 in VR though and it's been blowing my tits off. Sense of presence is brilliant. Genuinely terrifying and great for a long time horror fan who has felt immune to being scared since I was a kid.

Really made me optimistic about the future of full scale VR titles.

Waiting on impressions on Dirt'sn VR component as whilst not usually my kind of game, I feel like I play driving games so much better in VR! When to break comes way more naturally than I've ever found it before.

Can anyone tell me how trackmania's VR mode holds up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom