• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale-XF11

That's awesome! I'm looking forward to it even more now. Is it possible to still sign up for the beta or has that ship sailed?

You could always sign up in case they let more people in early: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/playstation-4-firmware-45-beta-registration/

I bet you can snag 3D movies on the cheap at Half Price Books too!

I've been finding some great deals on ebay.

I love my 3D Blu-Rays. Those are all great choices. My go to demo desk remains Tron Legacy (I usually watch the entrance into the grid, through the escape from the games). I'm interested to see how this compares to my 3DTV for a few darker movies that suffer from cross talk issues (Fright Night remake). I could never really be bothered to try and rip them to watch them on PC when I still had my Oculus, so I imagine I'll get some use out this feature.

Hopefully the firmware launches soon!

Tron Legacy looks great in 3D in PSVR. It's especially nice because in theaters, you have to wear glasses that darken the image, but in PSVR, the movie retains its original brightness level. That's kind of a big deal for movies like this one where there's a lot of dark scenes.

Adree

Made a Hong Kong PSN account and activated the PS+ trial (just go to upload saves on that account and it'll give you 2 days for free) to get Danganronpa Class Trial Demo and it was totally worth it.

ranmafan

Made a Hong Kong PSN account and activated the PS+ trial (just go to upload saves on that account and it'll give you 2 days for free) to get Danganronpa Class Trial Demo and it was totally worth it.

Yeah that demo was really awesome and makes me wish there was a full danganronpa vr game. Although it was weird seeing the Japanese demo had the English version too as I had heard before that wasn't the case. Also weird since I've only played in Japanese the original games. Going to have to go back and play it in Japanese too sometime. Still was a super treat.

MageBoySA

Just played some of Batman. Holy shit, it got me right from the title screen. Game me a feeling of vertigo when I looked down from that balcony on the title screen. Then the platform that lowers into the Batcave really made me feel like it was moving. Glad I bought this thing. And I still haven't played RE7 in VReven though that was the game that I already owned in VR.

Pjsprojects

Bought PSVR Friday.
Eve felt great but I'm not sure about buying because of all the micro dlc they sell,it looks like an expensive game over time?

Anyone got Eve?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Guys...image feed cutting off frequently when playing non VR games...is my processing box defect or something? My only solution to playing regular games without random black screens and whatnot has been to unplug all VR stuff :/

rObit

Banned
Guys...image feed cutting off frequently when playing non VR games...is my processing box defect or something? My only solution to playing regular games without random black screens and whatnot has been to unplug all VR stuff :/

I haven't been keeping up on known issues so take this as a completely random suggestion but could it be the HDMI cable that runs between the processing unit and the PS4 going bad? Could test it by hooking that HDMI cable from your tv to your PS4 with the VR stuff unplugged and see if you get the image drops.

McCHitman

Banned
Bought PSVR Friday.
Eve felt great but I'm not sure about buying because of all the micro dlc they sell,it looks like an expensive game over time?

Anyone got Eve?

From what I understand all of that stuff is cosmetic only. You can't buy a better ship or anything, as it's all earned from playing. You can however get a doubler to earn XP quicker.

ranmafan

Just played some of Batman. Holy shit, it got me right from the title screen. Game me a feeling of vertigo when I looked down from that balcony on the title screen. Then the platform that lowers into the Batcave really made me feel like it was moving. Glad I bought this thing. And I still haven't played RE7 in VReven though that was the game that I already owned in VR.

Batman was a great joy the first time through, and still fun now on my second run through. I really loved the little touches that made you feel you were Batman. Going through the extra stuff now and it's fun. My only complaint was getting the camera in the right position to play the game was a little of a pain. But makes me glad I got the vr set with the new camera included as I bet it would've been even more of a hassle with the old one I had. But yeah it's a great title, one which I plan on showing others when they come try vr.

T-0800

Will we ever see a price drop for PSVR? Here in Australia it costs $549 and another $89 for the camera. $639 before you even buy a game. A PS4 costs less than half that.

wondermega

I'm good friends with the guys who made the Call of Duty Jackal Assault game (Paper Crane Games - former Infinity Ward guys and actually Neversoft before that, for several years). I notice quite a few people in this thread saying how much they enjoy it, esp. compared to Eve or Star Wars. They are not getting much feedback, if you want to see more of the same, give them some feedback beyond just mentioning in this thread!

Shoeless

Will we ever see a price drop for PSVR? Here in Australia it costs $549 and another $89 for the camera. $639 before you even buy a game. A PS4 costs less than half that.

A price drop is inevitable, just not any time soon. They'd be crazy to do it now when it's in demand, but there may sales, and the inevitable permanent price drop when there's a move to the PS5 and likely a new head set.

No reason for Sony to right now, when they're being sold out as quickly as they appear on shelves.

ChouGoku

Bought PSVR Friday.

Anyone got Eve?
Eve is a very good multiplayer dogfighting game. But it may as well be multiplayer only because the single player is pretty bare bones and gets me sad that we don't have a space exploration game or a good story in a dog fighting game. The game is very fun, the grind just makes it feel like it should be f2p, but it cant I guess with a small install base

MageBoySA

Batman was a great joy the first time through, and still fun now on my second run through. I really loved the little touches that made you feel you were Batman. Going through the extra stuff now and it's fun. My only complaint was getting the camera in the right position to play the game was a little of a pain. But makes me glad I got the vr set with the new camera included as I bet it would've been even more of a hassle with the old one I had. But yeah it's a great title, one which I plan on showing others when they come try vr.
Yeah, when my friend comes over the first weekend in March I'm going to have him try the Kitchen demo first (he's a huge horror buff) then I'll let him be the Barman. Batman and Job Simulator are the two best uses of VR for me so far, but I think Batman wins just because it let's you be Batman!

U2NUMB

Cool! My kids are too young to try but they got a kick out of being the tv player in the playroom while I used the vr headset. Playroom vr is such a great game to play with a family. But Yeah the motion sickness thing can always be a concern. Best thing to do is ease yourself into VR. As someone said to me here a few weeks ago when I got mine, you got to get used to your vr legs so to speak. Try out the demos first since they are short and easy to ease into vr, and take breaks when you can too, as playing too long in my experience can bring a little bit of sickness. hopefully those tips and the others that others have mentioned helps. Enjoy, it's an amazing experience!

Well so far I really love it. It is my first real VR experience. The shark attack is a great way to introduce someone to VR cause you just sit there. The movement ones are killing me in the motion sickness area. My son and his friend are LOVING it and of course have no issues.. I am a bit let down at the amount of swearing going on in the London Heist.. seems SOOO over the top and kinda sucks as my boy is 11.

Gonna pick up Batman VR later today and I see a TON of games in the PSN store that look fun. For myself I am gonna keep with the ones where you are sitting still doing stuff as I can not handle the movement.

So loving it so far outside of the 60000 cables you have to make room for but it is a great experience and I am looking forward to showing it off to everyone who comes over.

So no regret so far... good stuff.

For myself I am gonna keep with the ones where you are sitting still doing stuff as I can not handle the movement.

Headmaster, Batman VR, Job Simulator, I expect you to die, Keep talking and nobody explodes, Tethered, Werewolves Within, Bound(with comfort camera), Wayward sky, VR Worlds(except luge and Scavenger's Odyssey).

Maybe I forget some.

I suppose that you can start developing VR legs with games that have movement but ''on rails''(not right-left). for example Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and Playroom VR.

cakely

They can't make enough to cover the demand so a price drop is probably a long ways away.

U2NUMB

Headmaster, Batman VR, Job Simulator, I expect you to die, Keep talking and nobody explodes, Tethered, Werewolves Within, Bound(with comfort camera), Wayward sky, VR Worlds(except luge and Scavenger’s Odyssey).

Maybe I forget some.

I suppose that you can start developing VR legs with games that have movement but ''on rails''(not right-left). for example Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and Playroom VR.

Appreciate the list... Will work towards getting some of those.

Flysquare

Yeah i'm also experimenting that, from time to time. It happened with RE7. I turned VR off, system off, unplugged cables from the processor unit.
I don't know what causes it, if it's hardware or not...
Yesterday i did a speedrun of RE7 and there was no problem during 3 hours.
I'm a bit scared.

Shoeless

Maybe I forget some.

There's also Surgeon Simulator, and in a couple of weeks, Psychonauts: Rhombus of Ruin, which is pretty much my VR highlight of the month as I'm a huge Tim Schafer and Psychonauts fan, and this game takes place directly after the end of the first game, so it's actually a "bridge game" between Psychonauts and Psychonauts 2.

bumpkin

Finished Psychonauts tonight in preparation for The Rhombus of Ruin... The last part of the game is ridiculous, just not in a good way. C-tier platformers should never include time and/or precision intensive sections. I don't know how many times I wanted to throw my controller because of a bad camera auto-pan or input lag not registering a button press in time, resulting in me falling.

That said, excited to play Rhombus on the 21st! At least now I'll be caught up and not be totally lost about who the characters are, their relationships or events which led to their current predicament.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah i'm also experimenting that, from time to time. It happened with RE7. I turned VR off, system off, unplugged cables from the processor unit.
I don't know what causes it, if it's hardware or not...
Yesterday i did a speedrun of RE7 and there was no problem during 3 hours.
I'm a bit scared.

Turning off HDCP in the settings should solve the issue completely.

You have to turn the setting back on to use things like Netflix, though.

Finished Psychonauts tonight in preparation for The Rhombus of Ruin... The last part of the game is ridiculous, just not in a good way. C-tier platformers should never include time and/or precision intensive sections. I don't know how many times I wanted to throw my controller because of a bad camera auto-pan or input lag not registering a button press in time, resulting in me falling.

The Steam version got patched to make the meat circus easier. I did beat the unpatched version on Xbox back in the day, but I can't imagine trying to do it with the input lag on the PS2/PS4 version.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

That said, excited to play Rhombus on the 21st! At least now I'll be caught up and not be totally lost about who the characters are, their relationships or events which led to their current predicament.

That's sad to read. Guess I'll just pass on the OG Psychonauts game.

Neverwas

I grabbed EVE:Valkyrie and Rigs over the weekend. I did pretty well against the CPU in EVE, but once I got to PVP, not so much lol. And I'm bummed to see the Rigs dev was shut down last month. Would have liked some DLC.

Overall, I'm mostly just excited neither game gave me motion sickness.

Planet

Overall, I'm mostly just excited neither game gave me motion sickness.
If you want some of that just to know, go grab World War Toons Beta from the US store (for free), set the controls to full freedom and maximum speed, then circle strafe and jump around until you can't take any more punishment. XD

I ordered an Asus bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle thingy ($7 after rebate) and 4 PS3 cameras off Ebay (only $17 for 4) to try room-scale PSVR on PC. Definitely going to try Trinus, although I'm confused why it requires FreePie in addition to PSMoveService.

Please keep us updated on this. If it works I am very interested!

bumpkin

That's sad to read. Guess I'll just pass on the OG Psychonauts game.
If you preordered Rhombus digitally, you'll get the OG game for free. The game has oodles of charm and is plenty of fun. Honestly, the only part of the game that has infuriating sections is the last area. Once I figured out the tricky parts it wasn't so bad, it just has parts where you're secretly being timed. It's possible to get to the end, but not have enough "time" left to finish it. I don't want to give anything away, but it isn't a boss fight (if that makes it any better).

If you're committed to not playing it, here's a video of all the cutscenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOh74or_Caw&t=311s

I'm glad I played it because it had its moments and it primed me for Rhombus.

Shoeless

If you preordered Rhombus digitally, you'll get the OG game for free. The game has oodles of charm and is plenty of fun. Honestly, the only part of the game that has infuriating sections is the last area. Once I figured out the tricky parts it wasn't so bad, it just has parts where you're secretly being timed. It's possible to get to the end, but not have enough "time" left to finish it. I don't want to give anything away, but it isn't a boss fight (if that makes it any better).

If you're committed to not playing it, here's a video of all the cutscenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOh74or_Caw&t=311s

I'm glad I played it because it had its moments and it primed me for Rhombus.

I wonder if you played Psychonauts on a Pro, with the controller attached via cable, whether that would reduce the input lag? That was supposed to be one of the perks included on the Pro, right? Though I never thought it would amount to much.

I wonder if you played Psychonauts on a Pro, with the controller attached via cable, whether that would reduce the input lag? That was supposed to be one of the perks included on the Pro, right? Though I never thought it would amount to much.

Input lag with wireless controllers on modern consoles is measured in the single digit milliseconds; less than one frame. Input lag on Psychonauts on my PS4 is several frames.

Shoeless

Input lag with wireless controllers on modern consoles is measured in the single digit milliseconds; less than one frame. Input lag on Psychonauts on my PS4 is several frames.

I'm going to have to try this out for myself. I played Psyhonauts on the PS2 and the PS3 port, but haven't tired the PS4 version yet, even though I've already bought it.

-griffy-

Banned

The version of Psychonauts on the PS4 is a PS2 Classic, which means it's just the PS2 version with all the subpar visuals and performance that entails. I don't think anything would make that better. I frankly wouldn't recommend anyone to play that version of the game, even accepting you may get it for free due to the pre-order bonus. The Steam version would be preferred, even on a lower powered PC/Mac I'd think, and it can regularly be had for $5 or so.

The version of Psychonauts on the PS4 is a PS2 Classic, which means it's just the PS2 version with all the subpar visuals and performance that entails. I don't think anything would make that better. I frankly wouldn't recommend anyone to play that version of the game, even accepting you may get it for free due to the pre-order bonus. The Steam version would be preferred, even on a lower powered PC/Mac I'd think, and it can regularly be had for $5 or so.

It's about a dollar on CD key sites, it runs on Macs, it runs on toasters, it runs in 60fps 1080p and looks great plugged into an HDTV.

Yeah, I loved it.

Grinchy

Banned
It's nice of you to let him try PSVR, but that's no reason to make him mix your drinks!

Wow, that could totally be a small indie game like the ones that make you cook things. The Barman lol. You stand at a bar and mix exactly what people are asking for and if you take too long they start getting mad, ect.

jrcbandit

Please keep us updated on this. If it works I am very interested!

I'll be sure to post an update. The bluetooth adapter will be here today, but the cameras could take awhile since I opted for free slow shipping. I also will likely need some usb extender cables but I am waiting for the cameras to arrive to know how many extender cables to get and how long.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to try to only have 2 PS3 cameras per USB hub built into your motherboard. Like I have 4 rear USB 3.0 ports that are Intel hub and I have 4 more rear from Etron and 2 front ports via an AsMedia hub. I might use front ports for 2 of the cameras since I am not entirely sure which of the rear ports are Intel vs Etron.

ascii42

Wow, that could totally be a small indie game like the ones that make you cook things. The Barman lol. You stand at a bar and mix exactly what people are asking for and if you take too long they start getting mad, ect.
Tapper sequel?
maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks a ton.
Nice! Looks like a game we can play together at some point.

Anyone else play Trackmania? I was positively surprised by how the VR mode works just in the trial. The sense of being on a rollercoaster kicked in a few times, especially when the camera closes in over the hood.

FDC1

There is a new free app called Lens PS Vr on the european store. Not sure what it exactly is.

Edit: it's a vidéo streaming service, very little content apparently

joeblow

Anyone else play Trackmania? I was positively surprised by how the VR mode works just in the trial. The sense of being on a rollercoaster kicked in a few times, especially when the camera closes in over the hood.
Here's a write-up of Trackmania Turbo VR that I recently posted. It's easily the best "mid-length" gaming experience I've had so far on the PSVR (I haven't finished RE7 yet.). Go for 100% green medals like I did to fully appreciate the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom