• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

WITHE1982

Do you have to extend the headset at all in order to fit it around this thing? Or does it fit in a neutral position? I ask because I used to store mine on a glass head but one of the rubber bands eventually snapped since it was constantly being stretched out.

Not by much. The stand is a default moulded piece. The only adjustment you can make is the height. I do push the back button to fit it on but only extend it buy a couple of cm.

Joystick

I find it very hard to use the move controllers. I have tried to carefully calibrate everything. But they seem to start 'wobbling' in their current positions (as if my hand was shaking) - sometimes drift away, and definitely the default orientation drifts as well. It happens within minutes.

I have put many hours into Move games and don't think I've ever had a problem that interfered with the game. I sometimes have slight z-drift / slow wobble where one Move will slowly move forward and back slightly but it isn't a problem.

Perhaps there is a light source or reflection that is interfering.

Some things to try though:
  • Move closer to the camera. I find that about 5ft/1.5m is the sweet spot: better z-tracking and still enough space around to work in (but not enough for a game like Holoball).
  • Hold the Move's vertically for a few seconds (this helps with their orientation but might not help your tracking).
  • Shake and rotate the Move's in-game then hold them still to see if improved.
  • Check and eliminate reflections / similar light sources. Use the camera view to check for any obvious light sources. Check at night with the lights out for reflections.
  • Re-calibrate everything in the device settings.

iratA

So um... Dirt Rally VR is outstanding! This beats out Driveclub VR for me and I think I know why:

1. Looking way into the distance traveling at really high speed in Driveclub VR the image quality drops to a point where I find it very hard to make out what I'm seeing. It can be a mess of ugly pixels. In Dirt Rally VR your generally traveling at a much lower speed and your general point of focus is not over the horizon but on the corner, dip or crest right in front of you. This also happens to be where visual detail is best resolved. This also leads me straight into my next point.

2. Having spent tons of time with the game prior to the VR patch I can say without question that I'm a much better driver in VR. The headset perspective, 3D and wide FOV make it much easier to judge the demanding corners in a rally game. So much so that I found myself looking through some of the acute, right angle and hairpin corners and was able to pick the perfect entry speed. This allowed me to accelerate earlier and with way more confidence than without VR. Its a sublime feeling, and if you've driven any car IRL you'll instantly understand how and where your car is on the track in this mode.

Can't recommend this enough. I have the Pro+VR combo and I think this is easily worth its asking price. Also its not a separate mode but a complete game VR patch. 8.5/10

U2NUMB

Had it a week now... Still love it. Friends over for the first time. Going on 4 hours and they won't share... Rush of blood is a hit it seems.

I sure hope Sony and other devs continue to support this hardware.

Adree

So um... Dirt Rally VR is outstanding! This beats out Driveclub VR for me and I think I know why:

1. Looking way into the distance traveling at really high speed in Driveclub VR the image quality drops to a point where I find it very hard to make out what I'm seeing. It can be a mess of ugly pixels. In Dirt Rally VR your generally traveling at a much lower speed and your general point of focus is not over the horizon but on the corner, dip or crest right in front of you. This also happens to be where visual detail is best resolved. This also leads me straight into my next point.

2. Having spent tons of time with the game prior to the VR patch I can say without question that I'm a much better driver in VR. The headset perspective, 3D and wide FOV make it much easier to judge the demanding corners in a rally game. So much so that I found myself looking through some of the acute, right angle and hairpin corners and was able to pick the perfect entry speed. This allowed me to accelerate earlier and with way more confidence than without VR. Its a sublime feeling, and if you've driven any car IRL you'll instantly understand how and where your car is on the track in this mode.

Can't recommend this enough. I have the Pro+VR combo and I think this is easily worth its asking price. Also its not a separate mode but a complete game VR patch. 8.5/10

I've never played a rally game before so I'm absolute trash at it so far but it looks real pretty in VR. It's super annoying to have the "eyes shutting" vr comfort stuff unavailable as a toggle because when you are crashing because it's so sensitive it activates when things are recoverable.

It's also too bad it doesn't have VR replays since that's something I really enjoy in Driveclub.

cakely

Had a big group of friends over for "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes".

It's a great party game, and a pretty good intro to VR for those who hadn't tried it yet. There's no motion issues or jump scares and you just use the Dualshock.

I kind of wish you could see your controller in-game like you can in playroom VR. Some of my friends didn't know where to find the X and O buttons on the controller and they couldn't look at their hands.

Is the US getting a retail version of Dirt Rally w/ VR? If so I'll aim to get that, but if not then I might get the PS Plus deal right now for $37. Didn't really want tog e.g. This game now since I've got other stuff I'm playing but that's a huge discount from the normal insane price of $70.

Any good place to get the base retail game cheap? If so I could just get the DLC with the regular retail version.

Adree

Is the US getting a retail version of Dirt Rally w/ VR? If so I'll aim to get that, but if not then I might get the PS Plus deal right now for $37. Didn't really want tog e.g. This game now since I've got other stuff I'm playing but that's a huge discount from the normal insane price of $70.

Any good place to get the base retail game cheap? If so I could just get the DLC with the regular retail version.

The VR DLC alone is $13 and you'll probably not find a used copy for less than $20 (that's what Gamefly had it listed as) so you should probably just get the bundle.

Stargypsy

Just got my Bundle today. I had to drive an hour and a half to pick it up at a Best Buy and I felt lucky to get one.
So far I've tried Ocean Descent and Scavenger Odyssey. Ocean is a great way to get used to the idea of being in VR and Scavenger was a lot of fun. I had to stop at chapter 3 though. I started to feel a little weird. I'm just sitting here blown away at the experience. I'm 47, Been playing video games since Pong. This is just, Wow!.
I'm gonna try the demo for Rez and Rush of Blood tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to Rez.

Had a big group of friends over for "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes".

It's a great party game, and a pretty good intro to VR for those who hadn't tried it yet. There's no motion issues or jump scares and you just use the Dualshock.

I kind of wish you could see your controller in-game like you can in playroom VR. Some of my friends didn't know where to find the X and O buttons on the controller and they couldn't look at their hands.

The game was recently updated on PC to support the Oculus Touch and Vive controllers and this article mentions the same issues that you did (inexperienced players not knowing buttons), sadly there's no news on a Move patch for PSVR yet :-(

http://www.roadtovr.com/keep-talkin...ntroller-oculus-touch-vive-motion-controller/

Adree

Tried the new EVE Valkyrie update which seems to be modeled after Overwatch's weekly brawls. Pretty fun and Valkyrie is still fantastic to look at. I really wish there were more space games because it's perfect in VR.

Pjsprojects

Tried the new EVE Valkyrie update which seems to be modeled after Overwatch's weekly brawls. Pretty fun and Valkyrie is still fantastic to look at. I really wish there were more space games because it's perfect in VR.

As a PC player of Elite,it needs to be PSVR compatible at launch on PS4.

Amused

The NY Times daily videos are cool. Also enjoying a few of the other reporting/documentary-like short videos.

Definitely an area I hope we'll get to see a lot more going forward.

Jimmy_liv

For me the over zealous blackouts totally ruins Dirt Rally VR.
The situation is often recoverable and it blacks out.

The quicker devs realise that in VR there is no 'one size fits all' solution the quicker we can move forward with it.
After RE7's perfect number of options I really don't get why there not listening.

Dammed shame but for me Dirt VR is totally ruined by the failure to so much as add a slider for the blackouts or let the more accustomed people just crash.

*Splinter

For me the over zealous blackouts totally ruins Dirt Rally VR.
The situation is often recoverable and it blacks out.

The quicker devs realise that in VR there is no 'one size fits all' solution the quicker we can move forward with it.
After RE7's perfect number of options I really don't get why there not listening.

Dammed shame but for me Dirt VR is totally ruined by the failure to so much as add a slider for the blackouts or let the more accustomed people just crash.
That's a shame... I remember Trackmania also being slightly overzealous with this. Until one time I managed to finally get out of bounds being reset, and was finally able to drive around and crash etc all in first person.

The later areas in Resident Evil have made me wonder if a slow tactical shooter would work in VR. Earlier I would have thought this was a definite no due to the locomotion issues but no I'm not so sure - I played Killzone 3 with move and nav control and it was brilliant, hopefully Farpoint will sell well so lots of people have the gun control and more games will support it going forward.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
As a PC player of Elite,it needs to be PSVR compatible at launch on PS4.

I mainly want this because wearing the PSVR is so much more comfortable than the Vive and Oculus. I pretty much need to get out of the game every hour because the HMD is so taxing. Whereas with PSVR, I could play resident evil for hours with almost zero discomfort.

GAF help...I wanna buy some over the ear headphones for my PSVR and also for my iPhone but I'm having a hard time deciding between Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica m40x and Philips shp9500.
I'm not an audiophile but I like hearing music on a daily basis mostly alternative and pop-rock music.

I believe I like neutral headphones in terms of highs, mids and lows but I'm not sure because I always had those cheap headphones lol, one thing is for sure....I just wanna hear excellent quality crisp sound while playing with PSVR, PS4 or listening to music in general.

My budget is $100.

Any tips or suggestions?

andylsun

GAF help...I wanna buy some over the ear headphones for my PSVR and also for my iPhone but I'm having a hard time deciding between Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica m40x and Philips shp9500.
I'm not an audiophile but I like hearing music on a daily basis mostly alternative and pop-rock music.

I believe I like neutral headphones in terms of highs, mids and lows but I'm not sure because I always had those cheap headphones lol, one thing is for sure....I just wanna hear excellent quality crisp sound while playing with PSVR, PS4 or listening to music in general.

My budget is $100.

Any tips or suggestions?

Not sure how well over ear will work with the headset headband, I can't use my over ears but I do have the headband low at the back. I've actually switched to good IEM's for PSVR use.

Synth

My budget is $100.

Any tips or suggestions?

I've been using my m50x's with the PSVR without any issues. I also have a pair of HD380's, but I need to replace the earpads on them. I've always preferred the Senns for gaming purpose, but I don't think they would fit comfortably over the headset.

ChouGoku

For anyone else does flat gaming feeling outdated. Flat gaming is only slightly better for me because it has better games but even more now when I play games I think they all would be better in VR. Even 3rd person games, while playing Arkham Knight I just kept thinking how amazing it would be to dive off the buildings in VR with realistic size buildings.

Not sure how well over ear will work with the headset headband, I can't use my over ears but I do have the headband low at the back. I've actually switched to good IEM's for PSVR use.

Yeah, some over ear headphones don't fit 100% but others do. Some say the HD280s fit properly but who knows = s

Darknight

So would the Logitech G29+Shift nob combo be worth it @ $300?

Found one online I can get it for that price. Not sure how much these devices are worth it. Like i think its PC compatible which I could use on that as well so its not like I'd waste money as I could use it on multiple platforms.

Im debating on weather to buy it along with the Dirt VR bundle. Is 300 a good deal for both?

I've been using my m50x's with the PSVR without any issues. I also have a pair of HD380's, but I need to replace the earpads on them. I've always preferred the Senns for gaming purpose, but I don't think they would fit comfortably over the headset.

Thanks for the tip man. Hows the sound quality on those m50x's? I heard they are awesome just like the m40xs but with more bass, are they comfortable after using them for long periods of time? I'm think leaning towards getting those m40x's.

For anyone else does flat gaming feeling outdated. Flat gaming is only slightly better for me because it has better games but even more now when I play games I think they all would be better in VR. Even 3rd person games, while playing Arkham Knight I just kept thinking how amazing it would be to dive off the buildings in VR with realistic size buildings.

Yes and no. Some games absolutely, they feel very contrived especially games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider (these are games I enjoyed for the showcase) but the overacting of characters when placed in precarious situations loses all impact. The more realistic, uses things such as heights/speed or a focus on exploration fall flat for me now. Games that are highly stylised and skill based are still fantastic though. Games like Hyper Light Drifter, Bloodborne, Yakuza, Oxenfree, The Binding of Isaac all still keep my attention.

Shoeless

Some games feel this way to me. Especially FPS and cockpit-based games. After messing around with EVE and the X-Wing mission for SW: Battlefront, it's hard to go back to playing a game on a single TV screen. Even triple-monitor set ups feel a bit silly compared to a VR headset.

Other games are okay, however. Something like Gravity Rush might make me sick in VR, and I'm not sure whether VR would really add much to a game like Yakuza 0.

Alienous

I do get a 30fps -> 60fps like sensation when going back to a game on a flat screen, but 'flat' games don't seem outdated to me at all. I don't think VR is quite at the point, technologically, where it's a confident challenger to 'flat' experiences.

I really think VR shines in experiences developed around it. Games where you can reach out and grab things, or lean around obstacles.

Yes I completely agree, I'm one of the lucky ones and I don't get motion sickness so I would love VR options for lots of types of games. I would love to be able to play the Witcher 3 for example just as it is now but with PSVR patched in so everything was in full 3D. So looking straight ahead I would see Geralt and could play like that just looking forward to keep him in frame but everything was in full 3D to give that sense of scale and depth. Then I could turn my head and look around the world whenever I pleased from the floating camera position that follows him.

I hope more devs look into being able to provide these options in games that are not traditional VR experiences.

I started off playing RE7 in VR, then tried it 'flat'. I went straight back to VR after a few minutes; the detachment from playing on TV really took away a lot of the atmosphere of the game.

Same with driving and cockpit games; it's hard to go back after VR.

However, I am really looking forward to Horizon and Mass Effect. Maybe I don't associate that game style with VR?

Will be filled with murderous rage if Wipeout Omega and Elite Dangerous don't release with full-game VR modes, though. Well, I'd be quite upset.

bumpkin

Cross-posting this paragraph from the Dirt Rally VR thread...

I've been inching closer and closer to biting on the VR add-on, but I'm really worried it's going to make me feel sick. I've tried the Drive Club demo and that didn't bother me driving around, so long as I didn't end up in a wild tail-spin or flip the car a lot.

What has everyone's experience been with the add-on so far?

My PSVR is arriving today - pretty excited.

Took 12 days to get here which is annoying but at least it'll be here today. I got like 4-5 hours sleep though and feel like shit so probably going to wait till I'm in a better frame of mind to try it out.

I started off playing RE7 in VR, then tried it 'flat'. I went straight back to VR after a few minutes; the detachment from playing on TV really took away a lot of the atmosphere of the game.

However, I am really looking forward to Horizon and Mass Effect. Maybe I don't associate that game style with VR?

Will be filled with murderous rage if Wipeout Omega and Elite Dangerous don't release with full-game VR modes, though. Well, I'd be quite upset.

This so much, once you get a great VR experience like RE7, it is hard to go back, it is a paradigm shift imo. My only worry is support going forward.

Soi-Fong

Bought off PSPLUS today Dirt Rally VR for $37.99. Best VR racing game so far for VR in the PS4.

The graphics are definitely better than Driveclub. I'm playing on the PS4 Pro though.

The resolution is higher with Dirt Rally than Driveclub. Way higher. There's less of that Vaseline over screen look.

The driving is way harder as you'd expect. It feels a bit more grounded as well since you just don't have floating hands in front of you. Along with that, your fellow driver on the passenger seat adds to the immersion.

I think the type of racing also helps VR in general since the clarity is better because of the tighter turns in Rally.

There seems to be some VR comfort settings you can't turn off though. Any rollover or going through a big bump from say the side of the track results in your height FOV decreasing.

I couldn't even imagine. I'm spoiled to the point that the idea of playing RE7 on a TV almost sounds ridiculous. You don't get half of what you get out of it playing in VR.

I've been inching closer and closer to biting on the VR add-on, but I'm really worried it's going to make me feel sick. I've tried the Drive Club demo and that didn't bother me driving around, so long as I didn't end up in a wild tail-spin or flip the car a lot.

I'm enjoying it. I bought the base game in the PSN sale when they announced VR support. I gave up on the cockpit camera almost straight away and switched to the bumper cam, as I prefer to have my view filled with the road, rather than lose a load of screen space to the cockpit.

I've been playing VR using the same bumper cam (though it needs to be enabled in HUD options for some reason) and it's much easier to read corners. It does feel like you're really close to the road surface, and if you get close to trackside plants they look flat and low resolution. The fade-to-black is too keen to kick in when you make a mistake and can't be disabled, AFAIK.

It's a good VR mode, but whether it's worth the money or not depends on how much you like rally sims. It's a tough game with a steep learning curve. I've always liked watching Rally and being able to drive Mk2 Escorts and Lancia Deltas brings a bit of nostalgia to it.

iratA

I love it, I'm reading how some people don't like the 'black closing eyes filter' that kicks in when you go off track. Personally I don't mind it because I don't crash that often but when I do its usually in spectacular fashion and I'm barrel rolling into a tree or some such. So yeah the filter doesn't bother me and wouldn't prevent me from recommending this.

Its genuinely amazing and you will be able to take corners in a more natural fashion. I was worried about motion sickness with this one before going in, but I was fine. I recommend short breaks between events though as its pretty intense and the rally stages can go for 8+ minutes sometimes. For reference its the only way I've been playing the game since its release. Oh and for the upgrade price your getting a full game VR conversion all cars and all tracks, not just a separate VR mode.

(My experience is based on Pro+PSVR)

I couldn't even imagine. I'm spoiled to the point that the idea of playing RE7 on a TV almost sounds ridiculous. You don't get half of what you get out of it playing in VR.

After playing the demo in VR I wasn't sure I'd be able to play the full game, but I've been able to cope better than expected. I haven't finished the game yet (work and family limit my gaming time).

A couple of scares really did get me though. Mid-game spoilers
Ma Baker jumping out as you're about to open the door to the upstairs of the old house got me good. The spooky dark rooms beyond the lantern door almost made me nope out, too. Whoever put that together is a twisted genius.

ChouGoku

Yes and no. Some games absolutely, they feel very contrived especially games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider (these are games I enjoyed for the showcase) but the overacting of characters when placed in precarious situations loses all impact. The more realistic, uses things such as heights/speed or a focus on exploration fall flat for me now. Games that are highly stylised and skill based are still fantastic though. Games like Hyper Light Drifter, Bloodborne, Yakuza, Oxenfree, The Binding of Isaac all still keep my attention.
VR Bloodbourne would be amazing

I do get a 30fps -> 60fps like sensation when going back to a game on a flat screen, but 'flat' games don't seem outdated to me at all. I don't think VR is quite at the point, technologically, where it's a confident challenger to 'flat' experiences.

I really think VR shines in experiences developed around it. Games where you can reach out and grab things, or lean around obstacles.
Yea I think the limiter is resolution and sometimes putting on a helmet seems like a hassle when wanting a more passive gaming session. But I hope hybrid games like RE7 become the norm. A 3rd person game where you are the camera would still be nice.
Yes I completely agree, I'm one of the lucky ones and I don't get motion sickness so I would love VR options for lots of types of games. I would love to be able to play the Witcher 3 for example just as it is now but with PSVR patched in so everything was in full 3D. So looking straight ahead I would see Geralt and could play like that just looking forward to keep him in frame but everything was in full 3D to give that sense of scale and depth. Then I could turn my head and look around the world whenever I pleased from the floating camera position that follows him.

I hope more devs look into being able to provide these options in games that are not traditional VR experiences.
Yes! I want a VR Dragons Dogma with realistic size monsters and those amazing magic spells happening all all around you in 3d space.
noah.png

Yea, I sometimes play RE7 without VR but I only did it for about 3 mins total on my first playthrough. You can't beat VR immersion, especially with great atmosphere like RE7. I hope this sets the standard of more hybrid, switch anytime VR games.

bumpkin

I'm enjoying it. I bought the base game in the PSN sale when they announced VR support. I gave up on the cockpit camera almost straight away and switched to the bumper cam, as I prefer to have my view filled with the road, rather than lose a load of screen space to the cockpit.

I've been playing VR using the same bumper cam (though it needs to be enabled in HUD options for some reason) and it's much easier to read corners. It does feel like you're really close to the road surface, and if you get close to trackside plants they look flat and low resolution. The fade-to-black is too keen to kick in when you make a mistake and can't be disabled, AFAIK.

It's a good VR mode, but whether it's worth the money or not depends on how much you like rally sims. It's a tough game with a steep learning curve. I've always liked watching Rally and being able to drive Mk2 Escorts and Lancia Deltas brings a bit of nostalgia to it.
I love it, I'm reading how some people don't like the 'black closing eyes filter' that kicks in when you go off track. Personally I don't mind it because I don't crash that often but when I do its usually in spectacular fashion and I'm barrel rolling into a tree or some such. So yeah the filter doesn't bother me and wouldn't prevent me from recommending this.

Its genuinely amazing and you will be able to take corners in a more natural fashion. I was worried about motion sickness with this one before going in, but I was fine. I recommend short breaks between events though as its pretty intense and the rally stages can go for 8+ minutes sometimes. For reference its the only way I've been playing the game since its release. Oh and for the upgrade price your getting a full game VR conversion all cars and all tracks, not just a separate VR mode.

(My experience is based on Pro+PSVR)
I decided to take the plunge based on your impressions... I'm very satisfied! I don't know if it's just the perspective from the cockpit or what, but I do feel like the steering model is different in VR. I was much more in control of my car and making tough turns one after another without a lot of trouble. Certainly nowhere near as much grief as the game gives me on-TV. I'm probably going to always play it in VR now. $13 well spent. So thank you for the recommendations! :)

I did encounter an issue with getting the upgrade to install/work. My wife was playing something on PSVR while I queued it up from the web store on my phone, and when I went to tap "Download to my PS4," it just hung (the loading indicator). I tried it several times to no avail.

After that, I asked her if I could check something really quick, and when I went into the PlayStation VR menu for the game, it still had the "Buy" button. When I pressed X on it to proceed to the purchase screen, it said "Purchased." I tried restarting the game a few times, toggling the PSVR headset on and off, etc., nothing worked. What finally worked was restarting my PS4 completely from the Power Settings menu.

Also, anyone else really psyched about Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin on Tuesday?

t26

I am kinda interest in Psychonauts since it comes with the original for free, but there are no reviews of anything. I also don't know if I want to go through the first game.

bumpkin

I am kinda interest in Psychonauts since it comes with the original for free, but there are no reviews of anything. I also don't know if I want to go through the first game.
The impressions I've read here and there of a 20 some odd minute hands-on demo at a trade show (might have been E3 last year) were all pretty positive.

As for the original game, I didn't play it when it first came out, but decided to shell out $10 to play it on Xbox 360. I wanted to get up to speed for Rhombus since it's set in between the original game and the upcoming sequel. I've heard that the PS2 version that they're giving away for free has technical issues and input lag.

Synth

Thanks for the tip man. Hows the sound quality on those m50x's? I heard they are awesome just like the m40xs but with more bass, are they comfortable after using them for long periods of time? I'm think leaning towards getting those m40x's.

Sound quality is very good. I find them to be better for music listening, as opposed to movies and games though, as they prioritise bass over higher frequencies. They also have a much narrower sound stage than the 380s (which is surprising wide for a closed back set). My general use for each was that I'd use the m50x for music, and then would use the 380s with a modmic for gaming, but the m50x is holding up fine whilst the 380s are out of commission for now.

I've never tried either the m40x or HD280 though, so I'm not sure how each differs from the models I have. I find both of mine to be comfortable for long periods... but I'm probably not the best person to ask here, as I wear headphones damn near all the time, and have been doing so for the last two decades... so I probably notice wearing them far less than the average person would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom