• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a write-up of Trackmania Turbo VR that I recently posted. It's easily the best "mid-length" gaming experience I've had so far on the PSVR (I haven't finished RE7 yet.). Go for 100% green medals like I did to fully appreciate the gameplay.

I bought it in the sale after your recommendation and I'm enjoying it though I don't feel it's going to take that long to complete the vr section even with the green trackmaster medals. It'd be great if they'd open up the rest of the game to vr even tho I am quite enjoying playing on the TV for a quick blast whilst the kids are around (can't keep an eye on them with your head in VR!). It's a shame as well that you've only got the medal ghosts to go against in vr where you can compete against your friends in 2D and see your records in comparison to theirs.

Just got my headset today and overall I'm pretty happy with it! I started off with the xwing mission and had an absolute blast. I don't think I stopped smiling for the majority of that one.
I did run into a technical issue though. I know people were having issues after putting the system to sleep, well I am having huge issues with mine. My Samsung plasma seems to get confused by the hdmi signals or something. After waking the system from sleep the tv just powers on and off until I unplug the system! Is there anything that can be done on the system to fix this or am I going to have to just power off all the time now instead of going to rest mode?

joeblow

I bought it in the sale after your recommendation and I'm enjoying it though I don't feel it's going to take that long to complete the vr section even with the green trackmaster medals. It'd be great if they'd open up the rest of the game to vr even tho I am quite enjoying playing on the TV for a quick blast whilst the kids are around (can't keep an eye on them with your head in VR!). It's a shame as well that you've only got the medal ghosts to go against in vr where you can compete against your friends in 2D and see your records in comparison to theirs.

Even an advanced gamer will take quite awhile to get green medals on all 40 tracks. Is it as meaty as the full game (over 200 tracks?), no, but it is still a great value for a free add-on. Compared to most VR experiences/games so far, it took me a bit to get through and I enjoyed every challenge.

I'm now halfway done with getting all gold in the normal game, which I started after I completed the greens in VR. It's going pretty quickly, most likely because of the VR training. Not nearly as exciting though, for obvious reasons.

the chris

Just picked up the last core system at Gamestop last Thursday. I'm really enjoying it so far, just wondering if there are any "must-have"accessories I should get for it?

joeblow

Lens Pen
31PD39F1AHL.jpg

Fancy a spot of culture? A Joshua Bell live studio performance of Brahms’ Hungarian Dance will be available to watch for free on PlayStation VR today.

It's up now in EU https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...er=4.20.9:home

Even if the subject matter isn't to your taste, it's worth a look just for the technical accomplishment here. This is leaps and bounds ahead of the VR video we've seen from YouTube and other streaming apps, not just in terms of the picture quality, but also the 3D effects on display. By leaning forwards or to the sides there is a parallax effect to the footage, so you can actually see behind certain objects in 3D space. The audio is fully realised in 3D as well. It's a great example of where VR video can go in the future.

Fancy a spot of culture? A Joshua Bell live studio performance of Brahms’ Hungarian Dance will be available to watch for free on PlayStation VR today.

Even if the subject matter isn't to your taste, it's worth a look just for the technical accomplishment here. This is leaps and bounds ahead of the VR video we've seen from YouTube and other streaming apps, not just in terms of the picture quality, but also the 3D effects on display. By leaning forwards or to the sides there is a parallax effect to the footage, so you can actually see behind certain objects in 3D space. The audio is fully realised in 3D as well. It's a great example of where VR video can go in the future.

Can't access the store on my tablet right now, I guess it's a download and not a stream, how big is it?

swnny

RIGS is on sale in my local store and I'm really on the fence about buying it.
I really liked what I've (re)played from the demo, but on the other side it's one of the games that makes me a bit sick (not to the point of making me take of the headset). I guess the demo is some sort of the game's final match, where things should be intense and the player - experienced. So, will the full game go easy on me (and my motion sickness) at the beginning. I'm with a PS4 Pro, so I hope this will reduce the jaggers as well?

For example, the Driveclub demo doesn't make me sick when I'm driving calmly, but if start crashing in corners or sniping around the track, I do feel like puking on the floor. :O

So, I'm kinda hard to satisfy when comes to VR.

Fake edit: Also the platformer like mini-game in the Playroom also makes my head heavy, when the camera starts moving forward when following the little robot.

Another question: Any ideas how to put the Gold headphones (or my other over-ear set - Audio Technica ATH20x) with the PSVR? I can't fit them whatever I try...

Thanks for the heads up!

Pjsprojects

I'm good friends with the guys who made the Call of Duty Jackal Assault game (Paper Crane Games - former Infinity Ward guys and actually Neversoft before that, for several years). I notice quite a few people in this thread saying how much they enjoy it, esp. compared to Eve or Star Wars. They are not getting much feedback, if you want to see more of the same, give them some feedback beyond just mentioning in this thread!

Found them on Twitter. Good call.

Neverwas

RIGS is on sale in my local store and I'm really on the fence about buying it.
I really liked what I've (re)played from the demo, but on the other side it's one of the games that makes me a bit sick (not to the point of making me take of the headset). I guess the demo is some sort of the game's final match, where things should be intense and the player - experienced. So, will the full game go easy on me (and my motion sickness) at the beginning. I'm with a PS4 Pro, so I hope this will reduce the jaggers as well?

Rigs has a pretty good amount of "comfort" options that I didn't notice in the demo, from limiting your field of view, to "looking" with the headset or the right stick, and sensitivity levels for both.

Myself and others have had issues with the Lens Pen scratching the PSVR lenses, so proceed with caution.

This can't be true. I'm using these pens for photography on both my Nikon and Canon for years. No scrathes whatever. You should wipe away the dust with the brush before cleaning though. If there is something on the lens and you start to rub it with the Lenspen or whatever you use to clean,now that will cause scratches.

McCHitman

Banned
This can't be true. I'm using these pens for photography on both my Nikon and Canon for years. No scrathes whatever. You should wipe away the dust with the brush before cleaning though. If there is something on the lens and you start to rub it with the Lenspen or whatever you use to clean,now that will cause scratches.

From what I understand, the VR lens is very different than other lenses.

Shoeless

PS Blog article that goes into a bit more detail:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...performance-for-free-today-on-playstation-vr/

This is where I have been hoping VR video would go. Stuff those 2D 360 degree videos. We need a rendered 3D scene.

It's available on the North American PSN Store now as well.

Just tried it. VERY impressed. It's not quite the same as true CG VR with complete freedom of movement, but you can move your head around to a limited degree and see a change in angle with microphone stands, but as soon as you stand up, it fades to black.

Aside from the SD effect of the display itself, however, the 3D effect of this is so good that you pretty much just have to accept that you are in that cathedral. I'm actually kind of blown away it took this long to see a really good example of live action 3D VR that just completely transports you to another place.

This is definitely going to be another demo showpiece for me when I have friends over.

FDC1

Virzoom Arcade is up in Europe and is free!

Edit: it seems you need a special bike controller to play the game?

Edit 2: No, you can play with a controller too

I have used them for years as well with no problem. Also no problems with PSVR. As long as there is nothing on the lens you shouldn't have any problem. I always do a quick brush, a light wipe with the pen and a polish with a microfiber cloth. Also the lens pen wont polish it if you have just removed moisture as it will interfere with creating a clear surface.

Yeah, that's been out here for a while. The actual bike costs the same here as the core PSVR. Some of the games (with a controller) just didn't seem good and I don't see them being any better with the bike. The actual bike game and the horse riding one are probably the best games on it. I wish they'd make those full games. They were entertaining, even with a controller.

Fancy a spot of culture? A Joshua Bell live studio performance of Brahms' Hungarian Dance will be available to watch for free on PlayStation VR today.

I tried this out and, oh boy, is this thing neat. The behind the scenes on how they accomplished it is fascinating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poI6E8O4jmQ. While it may be too hard to do, I hope this technique is used for a feature-length live action VR movie. Also, if they can progress this far enough where this can be done on the fly, I think live virtual concerts and sporting events would be incredible in VR.

From what I understand, the VR lens is very different than other lenses.

You could be right, but in what way?

I have used them for years as well with no problem. Also no problems with PSVR. As long as there is nothing on the lens you shouldn't have any problem. I always do a quick brush, a light wipe with the pen and a polish with a microfiber cloth. Also the lens pen wont polish it if you have just removed moisture as it will interfere with creating a clear surface.

Thanks.
It could be that the microfiber causes scrathes when pushing though.

McCHitman

Banned

That game is a steaming pile if I've ever played one. The whole thing sucks. It seems like it was built as a literal Arcade game to suck quarters and let you experience VR.

Also made me woozy.

Wow this is the best live action VR video I've ever seen. It's amazing how you can actually move your head around in 3D space, I've never seen that done before.

Planet

It seems like it was built as a literal Arcade game to suck quarters
It was made as a context for workout, and I think it might even be quite good at doing that.

But I would never combine PS VR with workout unless I get a second set for cheap and label that as "personal sweat rag, don't touch!", and also expect that set to be disfunctional in a few months the latest.

GeeTeeCee

Nice, since I last checked the store it appears we can pre-order Psychonaut in the Rhombus of Ruin in Europe now, along with the free PS2 original and a PS Plus discount.

Even better, I didn't realise it released in less than a week.

Speaking of scratched lenses, I feel like I should plug this -- custom 3D printer spacers to prevent glasses from scratching the lenses.

(someone else's photo)

These are made by a gaffer and a little on the pricier side (to be expected of something made by hand and shipped from the UK to US), but it's basically a little piece of polymer you stick off to the side next to the lens, and it keeps your glasses from directly touching them. Works absolutely perfectly.

If you're a physically gentle soul maybe you don't have an issue, but I intend to bring my PSVR at work to have people try out, and I'm sure the very first person will try to fit their metal frames in sideways.

It's indeed a relatively small price to pay to keep from ruining the most fragile part of that unit, and high on the list of oversights that I hope they fix for the next revision.

Kyolux

It was made as a context for workout, and I think it might even be quite good at doing that.

But I would never combine PS VR with workout unless I get a second set for cheap and label that as "personal sweat rag, don't touch!", and also expect that set to be disfunctional in a few months the latest.

Maybe if you're wearing one of those cushion masks in-between? But still, the last thing I want to do while working out is feeling stuffed around the head.

antibolo

Banned
It's disappointing how PSVR prior to release was often hyped as the one true VR headset that finally solved the problem of using it with glasses. And yet it's still problematic.

To be honest I haven't used my PSVR since the holidays because I'm afraid of scratching the lenses further.

I've been thinking about trying contacts again but the last time I did was a very unpleasant experience.

It's disappointing how PSVR prior to release was often hyped as the one true VR headset that finally solved the problem of using it with glasses. And yet it's still problematic.

To be honest I haven't used my PSVR since the holidays because I'm afraid of scratching the lenses further.

I've been thinking about trying contacts again but the last time I did was a very unpleasant experience.

I've got a pair of prescription sports goggles I use. It's a little silly but they're basically flush with my face and fit very comfortably inside the headset.

I've been wondering if it's possible to implement a feature on VR headsets where you enter your glasses prescription and they adjust the image to correct your vision so you can go glasses free inside the headset.

There is now a company making PSVR lens protectors, similar to the kind of things people put on phone screens.

Haven't tried them personally.
Due to the curved nature really awkward to put on, you gotta take your time and be careful, But if you do it right they are great.
if you fuck it though you will get bubbles and distortion.

Any positive previews on StarBlood Arena? As an old school Descent multiplayer fan I'm really interested in this one, and I'm happy to see games that don't try for ultra realism and instead opt for stylized art styles instead. From the few videos I've seen of it, it looks really awesome.

*oh wow, I just looked up some info on VR Tennis online as it had a nice look to it. This game is not good, folks.
"VR Tennis Online is one of the most shoehorned implementations of VR in the entire Oculus Rift launch lineup. Nearly every element of the game is negatively impacted because of the use of VR and the core game itself is hardly enough to warrant a purchase in the first place." - UploadVR

ElNino

Dirt Rally VR launching February 17
Awww yea! I've been waiting for this. Thanks for posting.
So have I (sold my XB1 version so that I could pick the VR version up), but I'm still waiting for a digital sale or the physical version. There are no retail copies to be found anywhere locally, and the digital version is still $80 on the PS Store (I missed the sale over Christmas before the PSVR update was announced).

I know there is supposed to be a physical version, but it has yet to show up in any store as far as I can tell.

Just noticed GameStop's Until Dawn Rush of Blood bundle with camera and 2 Moves for $499. Almost seems to good to be true. How is Rush of Blood?

Really, though, just getting everything for $499 bundled is good enough for me. I think it's time to take the plunge. I told myself if I could find one around $500 I'd take it. My poor wallet...

Just noticed GameStop's Until Dawn Rush of Blood bundle with camera and 2 Moves for $499. Almost seems to good to be true. How is Rush of Blood?

Really, though, just getting everything for $499 bundled is good enough for me. I think it's time to take the plunge. I told myself if I could find one around $500 I'd take it. My poor wallet...
Rush of Blood is one of the best games on PSVR.

The Playstation Worlds bundle is the same price and if you are interested in that, then PSVR Worlds is more expensive than Until Dawn: ROB. So you might as well get that bundle instead. It's available at Best Buy online and I've started seeing it randomly at Targets.

Alienous

Speaking of scratched lenses, I feel like I should plug this -- custom 3D printer spacers to prevent glasses from scratching the lenses.

(someone else's photo)

These are made by a gaffer and a little on the pricier side (to be expected of something made by hand and shipped from the UK to US), but it's basically a little piece of polymer you stick off to the side next to the lens, and it keeps your glasses from directly touching them. Works absolutely perfectly.

If you're a physically gentle soul maybe you don't have an issue, but I intend to bring my PSVR at work to have people try out, and I'm sure the very first person will try to fit their metal frames in sideways.

It's indeed a relatively small price to pay to keep from ruining the most fragile part of that unit, and high on the list of oversights that I hope they fix for the next revision.

I can vouch for these - they're awesome. And they're easy to put in and the premium ones fit the headset perfectly - there's no reason why Sony shouldn't have done this themselves.

j0hnnix

Oh boy this is a good excuse to jump on it now.

Mendrox

So as a new PSVR owner.. if I or anyone else in my family do not use glasses do I have a need for that lens protector?

Even with glasses there are no problem. You just have to adjust everything right and be a bit careful that you don't put your eyes on the lenses :p

My glasses (even a big fatter):

No scratches or anything else and I have mine since release and played over 50 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom