• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is really enjoyable even for me as a non-native speaker and actually a legit way of practicing English. You should have basic knowledge already, of course.

Apparently central Ohio is a dead spot for PSVR trials lol.

I bought one without having tried it first. But I had been hyped for it for months. I ended up loving it too, but if you are on the fence you may get buyer's remorse if it doesn't absolutely blow you away.

This thread is full of first-timer impressions, though, if you want to dig through it. Or, if you have any specific questions we'd be happy to answer them.

bumpkin

Apparently central Ohio is a dead spot for PSVR trials lol.
I'm not sure they're still doing the demos TBH, but the site is still up. I would assume they would take it down if they weren't happening anymore, but I don't know.

Are you at all close to Belmont, OH? It looks like their "Road to Greatness" tour has a stop there in July.

I got my Until Dawn bundle at Gamestop last night, they came in six days early and without a street date limitation.

Rush of Blood is awesome. Carnival Games let me down big time (bought it on sale for 10 bucks). Pinball FX2 is great, though the lack of res makes it hard to read text on the tables compared to playing on a 1080p monitor. It helps if you are already familiar with the tables. I immediately started getting better scores in Pinball FX2 and Thumper, though, compared to playing on a monitor. It can't all be lag, too, because I play Pinball FX on my PC with a monitor that has like 7ms latency. Something about the immersion and perspective connects me to the games more and I get into the zone immediately.

I'll buy Rez on sale, I figure they'll have a few bucks off soon. Limited content VR modes in full priced games like Trackmania should be sold as standalone DLC IMO, so I'm staying away for now.

The "sense of presence" in the RE7 demo really gets to me. I'm going to wait and play the full game on weekend afternoons instead weeknights; I already have insomnia issues as it is.

I'm pleased with my purchase. Can't wait for the firmware update to finish beta because I've got a couple of 3D Blu-Rays I'm dying to watch.

gpn

There's a kickstarter in progress for a VR Titanic explorer and one of the supported platforms is PSVR. This group had a previous successful kickstarter for an Apollo 11 VR experience, which they say is coming to PSVR soon.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1436197736/titanic-vr

I have no affiliation with the kickstarter, just a backer who wants to see this project get funded. The early access level applies to PSVR too.

Shoeless

There's a kickstarter in progress for a VR Titanic explorer and one of the supported platforms is PSVR. This group had a previous successful kickstarter for an Apollo 11 VR experience, which they say is coming to PSVR soon.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1436197736/titanic-vr

I have no affiliation with the kickstarter, just a backer who wants to see this project get funded. The early access level applies to PSVR too.

This gives me hope for a VR Enterprise. I know Bridge Commander is coming, but I mean tour the ENTIRE Enterprise; shuttle bay, sick bay, transporter room, everywhere.

swnny

Just got RIGS, played the tutorial and the first match. Even after some tweaking of the comfort settings, I still felt dizzy in the half time. But its's WAY better then the demo, that's for sure!
I do have another question tho - is it normal to lose the first ever match in the game with 20 points difference? I felt that the my AI mates were free kills, while the enemy AI was facerolling us. I had to go to work (and take a break from VR) and couldn't continue on with the matches, but I have a feeling I will continue to lose.
Also is the online mode populated? Tried quick match, waited for some time and nothing came at all...

Just got RIGS, played the tutorial and the first match. Even after some tweaking of the comfort settings, I still felt dizzy in the half time. But its's WAY better then the demo, that's for sure!
I do have another question tho - is it normal to lose the first ever match in the game with 20 points difference? I felt that the my AI mates were free kills, while the enemy AI was facerolling us. I had to go to work (and take a break from VR) and couldn't continue on with the matches, but I have a feeling I will continue to lose.
Also is the online mode populated? Tried quick match, waited for some time and nothing came at all...

I miserably lost the first one or 2 matches too, I guess I chose my initial Rig (Tempest) and Weapon (pulse) very poorly. Because it has very light armor you'll die fast and the pulse weapon I had was slow and hard to use. Then I chose a Mirage with machine guns, missiles and the carapace ability (heavy armor in the back) and began winning almost all matches ;)

swnny

I miserably lost the first one or 2 matches too, I guess I chose my initial Rig (Tempest) and Weapon (pulse) very poorly. Because it has very light armor you'll die fast and the pulse weapon I had was slow and hard to use. Then I chose a Mirage with machine guns, missiles and the carapace ability (heavy armor in the back) and began winning almost all matches ;)

I went with a Thief(?) RIG with heavy machine gun and warheads. Yes, I did die really fast, but so did my teammates... maybe i choose them poorly too. :D But the game sure looks like a lot of fun. I hope the online modes are populated, so I can have my fix when I get better at the game.

ranmafan

Well I finally picked up Crystal Rift today. I really wanted an old school like DRPG to play in VR, and so far its a neat little game. Nothing too fancy, but just fun being able to explore a dungeon and all with that classic vibe to it. Only thing is I was having a little trouble with some motion sickness (still rare for me, but happens a little at times) so Ive only played a little bit. Still Im having a good time with it. Certainly going to go through it this weekend a bit.

However tomorrow finally my copy of Eve Valkyrie arrives. Cant wait to delve into that. Looking forward to all that the game has to offer.

Neverwas

I finally tried an online match in RIGS. Jesus Christ. My team scored 1 point. The other team had over 25. Felt like we got put up against professional players. At least, that's the story I keep telling myself...

I am so satisfied with my PS VR purchase. Got my unit in January with RE7 and played through the entire game with the headset, today I played the X-wing mission in battlefront and my oh my, what an experience was that. Wish we get a full X-wing VS Tie fighter dog fight games. Tonight I am starting Rush for Blood and Batman.

I was wondering if PS VR worlds is worth the purchase, as I've played the demo disc and did not like it.

swnny

I finally tried an online match in RIGS. Jesus Christ. My team scored 1 point. The other team had over 25. Felt like we got put up against professional players. At least, that's the story I keep telling myself...

I jumped right into the multiplayer and my first 2-3 games were total bust, but I soon got the hang of it and put a good fight, even managed to win my first ever Endzone match with an amazing comeback in the second half.
Really amazing feeling.

Tonight I am starting Rush for Blood and Batman.

Start with Batman, altho it's short it was the best f*cking experience I had with VR so far, especially the ending! (Having a pair of Moves helps a ton)

Neverwas

I jumped right into the multiplayer and my first 2-3 games were total bust, but I soon got the hang of it and put a good fight, even managed to win my first ever Endzone match with an amazing comeback in the second half.
Really amazing feeling.

I need to give it another shot. After a few nights against the CPU, I pretty much destroy offline play, and was not expecting such a complete shut down lol. I love this game though. The movement in it feels so good.

Kyolux

Have some people over for d&d tonight. We might do some vr for a bit too. Did we get any more impressions for Ping pong vr?

Amused

Downloading the Joshua Bell video now.

A lot of neat YouTube videos popping up as well over the last few weeks.

These kind of experiences are cool, and Sony obviously knows, making it ever more annoying that Sony is blocking 3D vr videos through their media player.

Freeman76

Have any of you tried the Youtube VR clip of 24? You are in the back of a chopper and the u go down to ground level, really cool but the resolution was so shit it kind of ruined it a bit.

Downloading the Joshua Bell video now.

A lot of neat YouTube videos popping up as well over the last few weeks.

These kind of experiences are cool, and Sony obviously knows, making it ever more annoying that Sony is blocking 3D vr videos through their media player.

Joshua Bell video is fantastic, I want one with Clapton sitting on a chair with his guitar, pls.

Yes, Sony needs to get that 3d VR on media player asap!

ranmafan

The Joshua Bell video was a great surprise and a fantastic vr video for sure. I certainly want to see that sort of quality in videos in the future for sure. Right now many of the 360 videos like the ones on YouTube are neat but way too low res and need work. Hope they improve cause this one was just simple and awesome. If more videos can be like the Bell one I'll be happy.

Start with Batman, altho it's short it was the best f*cking experience I had with VR so far, especially the ending! (Having a pair of Moves helps a ton)

So I did, the game is indeed short but very well made. Only gripe is that it breaks immersion with the teleporting instead of moving like in the arkham games.
As gor Rush for Blood, I'm really liking the game, as it's not scary but a lot of fun.

So today, I'm going to pick up EVE and DribeClub.

Pjsprojects

Picked up Driveclub and didn't realise its not connected to the main game. My club was not available and so I started a new one and started sending out challenges again.

Club name Garage Boldie if anyone want to join :)

I also picked up Thumper and have just had my head fried by the level 2 boss,exhausted Lola.

Synth

I grabbed a PSVR yesterday. Not my first VR device, as I already own a Rift, but it compares better than I was expecting it to. Been having a few issues with the view drifting, but nothing a swivel chair doesn't fix.

Picked up Driveclub VR, Rez Infinite, Thumper and Bound to start. Rez was the primary reason I had for picking up the device, and is already amazing, even though I haven't tried Area X yet. Driveclub Is very rough graphically, but isn't something that I notice for long when playing anyhow, and I find it a lot more fun to play than the original game (probably simply due to 60fps). Thumper's cool, but I've so far played 4 stages, and I'm a bit disappointed that the game doesn't vary it's audiovisual experience much.

Now just waiting for Ace Combat 6. Thinking of picking up RIGS and Battlezone, as I enjoyed the demos for each.

Picked up Driveclub and didn't realise its not connected to the main game. My club was not available and so I started a new one and started sending out challenges again.

Club name Garage Boldie if anyone want to join :)

I'll probably send a request to join later, as my club from the original isn't available either.

ckohler

Any recommendations on settings for RE7 - my son is feeling a little icky (or he's just got no balls lol)
Don't use smooth turning. Too many people are probably like "oh, smooth turning works so much better! I hate degree turning!" An hour later, they get sick.

Grinchy

Banned
Smooth turning, with high turning speeds, is way better IMO. Oh, and having the FOV filter turned off in the Display settings is nice, too.

WITHE1982

Any recommendations on settings for RE7 - my son is feeling a little icky (or he's just got no balls lol)

Finally got my PSVR yesterday and after trying Driveclub VR, Rush Of Blood, Eve Valkyrie (doing barrel rolls and spinning on my axis), Star Wars VR mission, Job Simulator and a few demos I wasn't feeling any ill effects at all.

Cue me jumping into RE7 full of confidence. I turned on smooth turning, turned up walking speed, didn't use the display grid lines etc and started up a new game. I made it to the starting house before experiencing terrible motion sickness. The room began spinning, I had sweats and cotton mouth. I had to turn it off there and then. After that I was feeling rough and it took around an hour to return back to normal.

So I can fully sympathise with your son. Some games just send people over the edge. I'm gonna try again tomorrow with all settings dialled down to "help me I'm a pussy" levels.

Let me know if your son has any luck with it and I'll follow suit.

cakely

The only comfort feature that made any difference for me was to leave turning at 30 degree intervals.

Everything else, including fast ducking, normal walking speed and normal FOV did not affect me at all.

cakely

I just tried the Joshua Bell app, and I really liked it.

I would love more studio recording sessions done in VR like that. "Scotch Mist" by Radiohead comes to mind immediately.

I find it very hard to use the move controllers. I have tried to carefully calibrate everything. But they seem to start 'wobbling' in their current positions (as if my hand was shaking) - sometimes drift away, and definitely the default orientation drifts as well. It happens within minutes. I can't play the batman VR game with it (this is adding to the fact that my head is slightly wobbling itself, which is giving me slight sea sickness even though I am pretty immune to it in general). Is there any way to fix this? I don't understand what it is due to - i have the camera point in straight LOS to the camera, a couple of meters maybe, in a darker room to help with tracking (tried lights as well).

Should I replace them? They are very first gen ps3 move, maybe that's why they suck? I am afraid of getting new one and them sucking just as hard.

edit; or maybe it's the camera? it's an earlier ps4 camera. There is a new model (goes on top of tv), but I believe the specs are identical. And a camera is a camera. The image seems fine.

edit: i tried power cycling. does not seem to help.

t26

Any suggestion on carrying case? Right now I am using the box and I am looking at the POWER A Storage Case on amazon

WITHE1982

Any suggestion on carrying case? Right now I am using the box and I am looking at the POWER A Storage Case on amazon

It's pretty much the mutts nuts as far as storage is concerned. I'm using it combined with the official PSVR stand and imho they are the best of the bunch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MQW1MV7/

Now I'm just looking for some lens protectors, as I wear glasses and I'm terrified of scratching my lenses whenever I use the headset.

I find it very hard to use the move controllers. I have tried to carefully calibrate everything. But they seem to start 'wobbling' in their current positions (as if my hand was shaking) - sometimes drift away, and definitely the default orientation drifts as well. It happens within minutes. I can't play the batman VR game with it (this is adding to the fact that my head is slightly wobbling itself, which is giving me slight sea sickness even though I am pretty immune to it in general). Is there any way to fix this? I don't understand what it is due to - i have the camera point in straight LOS to the camera, a couple of meters maybe, in a darker room to help with tracking (tried lights as well).

Should I replace them? They are very first gen ps3 move, maybe that's why they suck? I am afraid of getting new one and them sucking just as hard.

edit; or maybe it's the camera? it's an earlier ps4 camera. There is a new model (goes on top of tv), but I believe the specs are identical. And a camera is a camera. The image seems fine.

edit: i tried power cycling. does not seem to help.

Not 100% sure TBH. I'm using 3 ps move controllers I bought 2 years ago and a v1.0 PS4 camera and so far have experienced no drifting problems other then having to re-calibrate a couple of times (camera is mounted on top of tv).

The only solution I've found for ps move wobbling is moving closer to the camera or adjusting the camera angle. It's a shame as replacing either the move controllers or camera has become an expensive business.

It's pretty much the mutts nurses far as storage is concerned. I'm using it combined with the official PSVR stand and imho they are the best of the bunch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MQW1MV7/

Now I'm just looking for some lens protectors, as I wear glasses and I'm terrified of scratching my lenses whenever I use the headset.

Do you have to extend the headset at all in order to fit it around this thing? Or does it fit in a neutral position? I ask because I used to store mine on a glass head but one of the rubber bands eventually snapped since it was constantly being stretched out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom