• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeblow

Is there anything in particular you need to do to allow for 3D supported games to run in the HMD? I have the beta firmware... I loaded up Sniper Elite 4 from my headset and the 3D option was greyed out in the menu.

The first time I fired up the 3D mode in SSU, my HDTV displayed the game with double images, so I know the effect was turned on. I put on my VR headset for ten seconds and the image was clear, even though the 3D effect seemed very underwhelming like half the 3D Blurays I've recently watched with it.

I checked SSU again right now with the VR gear and I was wrong - the visuals are only in clear, single-image 2D despite my HDTV showing double image 3D. My set is 3D capable, so I put on my glasses for it and the explosions are properly popping out at me while the play field is showing a ton of depth.

I should have noticed this initially before I posted above - sorry about that (posts edited). It is weird though that the feed to the VR headset is a clean 2D image when 3D is activated in the game. You would figure it would send the same feed as what's sent to the HDTV.

Briarios

If you purchased Eagle Flight and linked your PSN with your Ubisoft account, you may want to check your email -- I just got a link to a survey ... And you get a free copy of Werewolves Within for completing it!

Shoeless

Does it support Move controllers? And is that the recommended way to play?

I've got it digitally preordered, but haven't gotten to try it yet. Won't be able to until tonight after work.

There's no Move controller compatibility as far as I can tell. I enjoyed my brief time with it, and it's a nice appetizer towards a full Psychonauts 2 game, but you have to take it for what it is; a very short, but fun, funny adventure game. This is just more proof that adventure games do work very well in the VR format, and the more stylistic visual design of the Psychonauts universe works very well in VR, since it's not striving for photorealism, so this is another one of those games that holds up nicely visually.

Hale-XF11

Some quick impressions on Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin (after making it about half-way through the game last night):

- maintains the humor and atmosphere of the first game
- fantastic music, art, characters, modern graphics, etc.; it's aesthetically pleasing to look at throughout
- freely moving objects around with your mind is fun in the beginning, but then you hardly get to do this after the first chapter
- too much linear pointing and clicking to progress and not enough actual puzzle solving
- the puzzles themselves are relatively simple and quick to solve (yet another sliding tile puzzle in a video game, zzzzzzzzzz, c'mon Double Fine, you can do better than that)
- feels too short, I can tell I'm almost done with the game already, but then I expected that after hearing it was only 2 or 3 hours long
- love seeing the difference in scale when using clairvoyance on bigger and smaller creatures

Briarios

So, I just finished the Ubisoft VR survey - there were a lot of questions on an Eagle Flight sequel, so it looks like that is a real possibility! That makes me happy - I thought it was really good for a launch game

Kyolux

Rez Infinite is finally discounted on the PSN store ($20 with PS+, $22 without). Downloading now.

Nice, I just bought a 4k tv though, so I'm a bit tight on budget, I'll have to wait until next time. Especially with all the games coming out next week.

joeblow

^^^ Well, there is a PSN promotion right now to get $15 back if you spend $100.

I assume you want Horizon: Zero Dawn next week. That's $60. Who knows when Rez will get another sale, so buying it now saves $10, putting you at $80 spent.

If there's anything else you want on sale discounted to $20 or so, that's $100 and you'll get $15 back next month. That could mean a potential $35 in total savings (if you save $10 on a 3rd game on sale) for spending $100.

Kyolux

^^^ Well, there is a PSN promotion right now to get $15 back if you spend $100.

I assume you want Horizon: Zero Dawn next week. That's $60. Who knows when Rez will get another sale, so buying it now saves $10, putting you at $80 spent.

If there's anything else you want on sale discounted to $20 or so, that's $100 and you'll get $15 back next month. That could mean a potential $35 in total savings (if you save $10 on a 3rd game on sale) for spending $100.

I have a physical copy of Horizon for $50 CAD pre-ordered (so $38 USD). Not gonna switch to physical for that. Same for Torment tides of numenera, that I'm getting for $22 CAD. Then Zelda for $45 CAD (so about $30 USD) on Wii U. I'm in no hurry to get Rez.

I did mean to use that promotion though originally, just not in my budget right now.

ranmafan

Great post. I have also always dreamed of a game like this. We need an X-Wing game like this. The Battlefront mission doesn't even come close.

Absoutely! If we could get an Xwing vs tie fighter game in vr it would be glorious. The vr mission was fun but yes way too short. It was like getting a tiny taste of the greatest meal in the world and then nothing else. I hope we do get that dream game.

Another series I want to see done would be battlestar galactica. In fact that's what eve felt like for me. Maybe it was Katee Sackhoff being in the game or the atmosphere and look, but I got those bsg vibes. Oh how I want that series to come to vr. And speaking of dream series thankfully we are also getting a Star Trek game. Really looking forward to that bridge simulator. Just hoping it's good. May can't come soon enough.

But yeah eve is fantastic, and I'm so glad the demo was my first real vr experience. So emersive and all. I actually tried to grab the handle above my head. It was that real to me that I forgot for a brief second it was just vr. Can't wait to play more tonight! It's right up there with resident evil 7 and Batman as one of the greats of PSVR in my opinion.

ryseing

To the poster above asking about Trackmania Turbo VR (free upgrade to the original game), here's my review.

If you go for 100% Green Medals it will take about a dozen hours of immensely fun game play to do it, give or take a few hours. If you go for all Gold medals, maybe 1-4 hours depending on your skill level. If you just want to experience roller coaster VR craziness, you can play every track in less time than that.

By the way, there are no blackouts in TTT VR when crashing (or at all, really). Also, if you simply want to experience playing a track in full 1st person mode, simply crash into a wall early on and it will be stuck with that viewpoint until you reset.

I was playing Trackmania earlier to relax for a bit after playing DIRT. It's still one of my favorite VR experiences, and one of the ones that has gotten the most positive reactions from other people. Level design gets crazy roller coastery and it's super fun.

I just lucked into a headset at Gamestop just now, they didn't have any bundles. Not an issue as I've already got move controllers , so just need the camera and I'm set. Now I just need to upgrade to the Pro, but I may wait a bit to see if there's any deals in the spring/summer. Any decent cheap games I can pickup on psn, I got some credit sitting there doing nothing. I already know the main retail games to look out for, I just need a few cheap hidden gems for the meantime.

I was playing Trackmania earlier to relax for a bit after playing DIRT. It's still one of my favorite VR experiences, and one of the ones that has gotten the most positive reactions from other people. Level design gets crazy roller coastery and it's super fun.

Yep Trackmania VR missions are so fun.

joeblow

^^^ The funny thing is, after having completed the VR challenges I'm now going through the normal game and it feels like a DLC add-on instead of a main game. VR in Trackmania is that much more of an experience.

Darknight

Hey need some advice. Anyone running TrinusVR with PSVR on their PC??

I have an AMD Radeon 295x2. It only has mini display output, so no HDMI output at all.

r9295x2-5b.jpg
Can someone suggest a good HDMI to mini display port so I can hook my PSVR to it?? I mainly use Amazon but can be from any vendor as long as its not crap. Thanks!!

Edit: Also, any advice on this other q?
So would the Logitech G29+Shift nob combo be worth it @ $300?

Found one online I can get it for that price. Not sure how much these devices are worth it. Like i think its PC compatible which I could use on that as well so its not like I'd waste money as I could use it on multiple platforms.

Im debating on weather to buy it along with the Dirt VR bundle. Is 300 a good deal for both?

oatmeal

Banned
Finished RE7 entirely in VR.

Amazing. Definitely the best way to play it the first time. Terrifying at the start but as you get more and more equipped you definitely feel more powerful.

Fun game. Best VR experience yet.

valeu

I decided to buy Here They Lie with today's update. I just finished RE7 which I played in Smooth mode with fast turning and as regular FPS-type camera controls as possible. I have zero motion sickness issues.

Here They Lie gives you two camera options: VR Drive Mode (on) that makes you turn in 40 degree increments or VR Drive Mode (off) that lets you turn smoothly but the screen shrinks to only lets you see through a small circle of view as you turn....both are very disorienting. (off) feels more natural but I want to be able to turn and see the whole screen smoothly at the same time.

I don't think anyone was expecting this game to get patched, so I doubt they will patch-in normal Smooth turning. It really impedes on the enjoyment of the game, when every time you turn your head you are suddenly looking through a doughnut hole and when you stop turning, your view goes back to normal.

Control complaints aside, the game thusfar has been like a wierd dream - creative and scary and interesting. I watched a little of Angry Joe's playthrough so I know there are
underground animal-human strip shows
and stuff in this game, so I sort of have no idea what I'm in for, which is good

bumpkin

Figures... I got stuck in Rhombus of Ruin earlier and ended up YouTube'ing the solution. Of course it was obvious. It's always obvious.

The game is good fun, even if it's not terribly brain bending and lighter on the interactivity than I expected.

karasu

This shit is incredible. I feel like I just had Joshua Bell in my living room and I could study his hand movement to my heart's content. Oh my god wtf have I gotten myself into? YouTube is pretty blurry though. Even after doing the reddit setup thing.

So would the Logitech G29+Shift nob combo be worth it @ $300?

Found one online I can get it for that price. Not sure how much these devices are worth it. Like i think its PC compatible which I could use on that as well so its not like I'd waste money as I could use it on multiple platforms.

Im debating on weather to buy it along with the Dirt VR bundle. Is 300 a good deal for both?

Personally I'd say no, not given the price I know it has been and currently is here in the UK, the wheel/shift has been £150 previously here and even currently on Amazon is £188/$234 that's with our lovely VAT as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LSKLAOU/

The first time I fired up the 3D mode in SSU, my HDTV displayed the game with double images, so I know the effect was turned on. I put on my VR headset for ten seconds and the image was clear, even though the 3D effect seemed very underwhelming like half the 3D Blurays I've recently watched with it.

I checked SSU again right now with the VR gear and I was wrong - the visuals are only in clear, single-image 2D despite my HDTV showing double image 3D. My set is 3D capable, so I put on my glasses for it and the explosions are properly popping out at me while the play field is showing a ton of depth.

I should have noticed this initially before I posted above - sorry about that (posts edited). It is weird though that the feed to the VR headset is a clean 2D image when 3D is activated in the game. You would figure it would send the same feed as what's sent to the HDTV.

Yeah it's bonkers with the dying of 3D TV sets that Sony have not enabled it on the VR yet, maybe another thing that's in testing though so won't berate them too soon. Don't know if you have puchased it BUT there is a VR mode for SSHD as well with a switch on perspective AND it actually does enable 3D/VR in the main style game too.

joeblow

^^^ Oh, I thought the VR patch was the new perspective only. I didn't know it allowed 3D for the classic game too. Thanks for the headsup.

BTW, if anyone was wondering, I noticed you can use your PSVR's breakout box capabilities to process 3D audio in capable non-VR games like Uncharted 4 using any headset using a wired connection. Non PSVR owners have to buy a specialized set of headphones for it to work. For best results IMHO, play with the headphones on but the VR headset off to enjoy the 2D visuals on your HDTV.

I also turned down the audio levels in my receiver for my five speakers, allowing me to only get the strong bass response while listening to 3D SFX on the headphones. This trick works great for increasing the BOO! factor in RE7 as well.

^^^ Oh, I thought the VR patch was the new perspective only. I didn't know it allowed 3D for the classic game too. Thanks for the headsup.

BTW, if anyone was wondering, I noticed you can use your PSVR's breakout box capabilities to process 3D audio in capable non-VR games like Uncharted 4 using any headset using a wired connection. Non PSVR owners have to buy a specialized set of headphones for it to work. For best results IMHO, play with the headphones on but the VR headset off to enjoy the 2D visuals on your HDTV.

I also turned down the audio levels in my receiver for my five speakers, allowing me to only get the strong bass response while listening to 3D SFX on the headphones. This trick works great for increasing the BOO! factor in RE7 as well.

Yeah a lot of people don't realise it enabled 3D within the headset either, here's an old stream I did a while back, you can see the whole surroundings moving with the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E86VYYNcf9A

This shit is incredible. I feel like I just had Joshua Bell in my living room and I could study his hand movement to my heart's content. Oh my god wtf have I gotten myself into? YouTube is pretty blurry though. Even after doing the reddit setup thing.

do you have a was watching the Midlife Ballers postcast in VR (patreon exclusive) and towards the end it just turned into an extremely pixelated mess for a bit, anyway to improve it would be really helpful loving the youtube VR content.

iratA

^^^ The funny thing is, after having completed the VR challenges I'm now going through the normal game and it feels like a DLC add-on instead of a main game. VR in Trackmania is that much more of an experience.

Yeah I agree, I really hope we can get some more content for the VR side. I would even pay for extra Trackmania Turbo VR DLC if it was substantial enough.

mclem

A slightly odd question, but it's one that's been bothering me when using PSVR - and I was reminded of it when listening to the 8-4 Play a couple of weeks ago with all the waxing lyrical about RE7 in VR.

Mark mentioned that he needed to play it in the dark because some light gets through the seals. Well, that's absolutely *not* the case for me, the seals are perfect, but that did lead to me realising something else, that possibly people with imperfect seals may not have had a problem with - it gets hot in there. I can't stay in for too long simply because the humidity - and condensation - builds up, so I have to keep taking breaks to both get a cooling breeze around my eyes and wipe the lenses clean.

Are there any tips for how to compensate for that so I can stay in for longer?

A slightly odd question, but it's one that's been bothering me when using PSVR - and I was reminded of it when listening to the 8-4 Play a couple of weeks ago with all the waxing lyrical about RE7 in VR.

Mark mentioned that he needed to play it in the dark because some light gets through the seals. Well, that's absolutely *not* the case for me, the seals are perfect, but that did lead to me realising something else, that possibly people with imperfect seals may not have had a problem with - it gets hot in there. I can't stay in for too long simply because the humidity - and condensation - builds up, so I have to keep taking breaks to both get a cooling breeze around my eyes and wipe the lenses clean.

I usually take my jumper off/open a window had this problem when i 1st got VR but worked it out pretty quickly. Don't play after exercise or a hot shower etc, if you are in a hot country etc aircon or a fan maybe needed, in England not even warm yet, will see in the summer

Amused

What is this Reddit setup thing?

mclem

I usually take my jumper off/open a window had this problem when i 1st got VR but worked it out pretty quickly. Don't play after exercise or a hot shower etc, if you are in a hot country etc aircon or a fan maybe needed, in England not even warm yet, will see in the summer

Nono, the issue is *just* within the seal, around the eyes. The rest of me is fine (and I'm in the UK as well!)

I can't say I've ever had a problem with this despite spending multiple hours with the headset on (usually playing DriveClub) - I do however have the gap under seal where it's possible to see light. Once I'm in a game however I'm completely unaware of any light getting in, pretty much the only time I notice it is during black loading screens. Have you tried playing with the headset 1 notch further out and see if that bothers you?

I use a fan already. Doesn't seem to help, except for how it helps to cool the *rest* of me!

Create a bit of a gap between your face and the display. I know you want the seal but that will always cause a build up of heat. I like it closer to my face as well but if I get hot and don't want to stop I move it a bit further away, basically just mix it up depending on what is bothering you.

mclem

Create a bit of a gap between your face and the display. I know you want the seal but that will always cause a build up of heat. I like it closer to my face as well but if I get hot and don't want to stop I move it a bit further away, basically just mix it up depending on what is bothering you.

I'll try experimenting with this in a suitably dark room, then, I hope I can get the lenses in a good position for me this way.

Yeah that Josh Bell thing is the most impressive video I've ever seen in VR. The quality is great and you can even move your head and look around objects. I don't know how they did that.

Finished RE7 entirely in VR.

Amazing. Definitely the best way to play it the first time. Terrifying at the start but as you get more and more equipped you definitely feel more powerful.

Fun game. Best VR experience yet.
I wonder how many PSVR users were actually put OFF by how fear-inducing the beginning hour demo was? I probably would have bitten at launch otherwise with all the positive buzz, but I just told myself I didn't need the stress, and looked forward to Horizon instead. My thinking was I'd pick it up later at about half price, where I could afford to not enjoy it ...

andylsun

Hey need some advice. Anyone running TrinusVR with PSVR on their PC??

I have an AMD Radeon 295x2. It only has mini display output, so no HDMI output at all.

Can someone suggest a good HDMI to mini display port so I can hook my PSVR to it?? I mainly use Amazon but can be from any vendor as long as its not crap. Thanks!!

Edit: Also, any advice on this other q?

You could use a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect to the PSVR and then use mini display port to your monitor. You won't get audio to the headset but that doesn't matter as it doesn't seem to work anyway.

Has anyone else got audio out of the headset working from the PC?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah that Josh Bell thing is the most impressive video I've ever seen in VR. The quality is great and you can even move your head and look around objects. I don't know how they did that.

I really need to check this Josh Bell thing out. I downloaded it, but it's just sitting on my PS4 Pro.

antibolo

Banned
Finally played some PSVR yesterday evening, I had not touched it since the holidays.

The Joshua Bell thing is pretty neat. Definitely better than any VR video content I've seen so far, although it definitely "cheats" by replacing some elements in the room with actual 3D models.

I also played the first three levels of Thumper. Yep, this is great. I hope more similar games do VR modes. It shows you don't need elaborate first person experiences to enjoy VR, simple third person perspectives can benefit from VR as well.

BTW anybody else wants to just reach out and hug the beetle? It looks kinda adorable in VR, being in front of you and all.

I want a plush of the Thumper beetle.

For me I tend to get condensation issues in the first 20-30 minutes or so, I assume it's because the headset is still relatively cold, it gets less of an issue afterwards.

Overall I'd say it's better to keep yourself cool. If the room is warm and you have no air conditioning like me you can try putting up a fan next to you.

TheMan

So the word on Reddit is that littlestar (not jaunt, sorry) is getting an update that will allow for 3D sbs movies to be played from USB. We all know what the implications of this are. Update is coming today, btw.

Can't wait to see Brandi Love in 3D.

The Lamp

I bought this yesterday, and I was surprised at the difference in quality between this and Vive. The VR headset is less comfortable, leaks light into the headspace, and I can see the lenses when I turn my head.

RE7 was not as immersive as I expected with all the uncomfortable, almost nauseating 3D movement and the very low resolution. And I don't like sitting carefully in front of a camera while I enjoy VR. I had no problem with Vive because I could stand and enjoy a 3D space.

Sorry guys, I tried this, but I'm out. I'll save up for a holiday sales Vive this year or next.

I bought this yesterday, and I was surprised at the difference in quality between this and Vive. The VR headset is less comfortable, leaks light into the headspace, and I can see the lenses when I turn my head.

RE7 was not as immersive as I expected with all the uncomfortable, almost nauseating 3D movement and the very low resolution. And I don't like sitting carefully in front of a camera while I enjoy VR. I had no problem with Vive because I could stand and enjoy a 3D space.

Sorry guys, I tried this, but I'm out. I'll save up for a holiday sales Vive this year or next.

Huh? I own both... How is that possible? Are you wearing it properly(i.e. have you adjusted the base)?

Don't let the door hit you on your way out!

Just kidding, have fun with the Vive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom