• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Joshua Bell video is exactly what VR video needs to be. I could justify paying to get 1st row seats at a concert in VR. Don't discount the audio side either. The positional audio plays a critical role in attaining that level of presence. It might be some time before we can get something this level of quality live streamed though.

I bought this yesterday, and I was surprised at the difference in quality between this and Vive. The VR headset is less comfortable, leaks light into the headspace, and I can see the lenses when I turn my head.

RE7 was not as immersive as I expected with all the uncomfortable, almost nauseating 3D movement and the very low resolution. And I don't like sitting carefully in front of a camera while I enjoy VR. I had no problem with Vive because I could stand and enjoy a 3D space.

Sorry guys, I tried this, but I'm out. I'll save up for a holiday sales Vive this year or next.

Wait, you have a Pro, that's not possible. Do you think you got a faulty headset?

Amused

I could justify paying to get 1st row seats at a concert in VR.

This is the future. Arts and sports. Would gladly pay £5-10 to "sit in the crowd" when my favorite football team plays. A ticket that can be sold to thousands upon thousands of times. There is money in this, it has to happen.

VIP ticket? Sit with your teams players on the bench!

The camera would get soaked in beer btw.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I bought this yesterday, and I was surprised at the difference in quality between this and Vive. The VR headset is less comfortable, leaks light into the headspace, and I can see the lenses when I turn my head.

RE7 was not as immersive as I expected with all the uncomfortable, almost nauseating 3D movement and the very low resolution. And I don't like sitting carefully in front of a camera while I enjoy VR. I had no problem with Vive because I could stand and enjoy a 3D space.

Sorry guys, I tried this, but I'm out. I'll save up for a holiday sales Vive this year or next.

I am in complete disagreement with the comfort factor, especially versus the Vive.

I absolutely love how comfortable the PSVR is. The fact that it just rests on your head instead of exerting huge pressure around your eyes and temples is a brilliant design. Even more importantly, it actually breathes because it doesn't require the HMD to be squished against your eyes. The Vive becomes uncomfortably muggy and oppressive for me after about 30 minutes of use.

With the PSVR, I can wear it for hours with zero discomfort. It's a revelation. I hope that every future HMD uses this design.

As for light bleed, I've found that the ability to adjust the HMD closer to your eyes using the button underneath the front mitigates this a lot.

*Splinter

Compared to a Vive hooked up to a sufficiently powerful PC, it's entirely possible.
Especially if he's talking about the first 5 minutes of Resi 7. Being outside in a realistic forest doesn't really suit the resolution of these headsets, I remember that section being quite rough (although I'm on a base PS4).

I messed with all the settings and fitting the headset for 2 hours and that's the best I could do with my face.

Do you have a protruding forehead by any chance? Messing about I can create a large gap or have the lens touch my eyelids depending where the band is positioned on my forehead and the back of my skull. Everyone I have had demo the unit can do the same. Also you don't have to make it super tight, if you have a large head then the bands might be in the area where they are at full tension, but you can take the bands out if this is the case.

Never experienced being able to see the lens once a good fit is achieved eith with or without the gap.

Do you have a protruding forehead by any chance? Messing about I can create a large gap or have the lens touch my eyelids depending where the band is positioned on my forehead and the back of my skull. Everyone I have had demo the unit can do the same. Also you don't have to make it super tight, if you have a large head then the bands might be in the area where they are at full tension, but you can take the bands out if this is the case.

Never experienced being able to see the lens once a good fit is achieved eith with or without the gap.

Surely in some of those positions you are having insane amount of chromatic aberration though?

There's only one position where I can minimize that, and sadly it would be even better if I could get the lenses a little closer.

Hale-XF11

The Joshua Bell video is exactly what VR video needs to be. I could justify paying to get 1st row seats at a concert in VR. Don't discount the audio side either. The positional audio plays a critical role in attaining that level of presence. It might be some time before we can get something this level of quality live streamed though.

I'm blown away. Had no idea that positional tracking in a VR video was a thing until now. If it weren't for the resolution and FOV being as low as they are, I would be nearly completely convinced I was in another reality.

Surely in some of those positions you are having insane amount of chromatic aberration though?

There's only one position where I can minimize that, and sadly it would be even better if I could get the lenses a little closer.

No because you move the front and back depending on the angle you want, i.e. it doesn't have to be like the diagram. There is quite a lot of your forehead and back of your head you can use and as long as the lens are in front of your eyes all is good. Once you know the general position of where the lenses should be it is super quick to adjust, it took me a while to realise this though.

Shoeless

I'm blown away. Had no idea that positional tracking in a VR video was a thing until now. If it weren't for the resolution and FOV being as low as they are, I would be nearly completely convinced I was in another reality.

Just wait for future generations of headsets. 4K displays for VR headsets actually make sense, since the displays are just centimeters away from your face, so the resolution is actually discernible.

jrcbandit

TrinusVR was a complete failure for me, it will work for 3d videos and space games like Elite Dangerous where it tracks only head movements, but I was trying a pseudo whole room setup with 4 PS3 cameras and PS Move. I just couldn't get proper PS Move tracking no matter what I tried and it doesn't help that I have newer Move controllers where the magnetometer was disabled by Sony. I guess I have no idea how to properly position the 4 cameras to get full tracking, the ps3 cameras have a narrow FOV and I don't own 4 tripods so I was using shelves up high and aiming downwards.

Do you have to buy older Move controllers to have a decent chance at tracking with PSMoveService?

Do you have he headset on correctly?

Unlike the vive/Rift band sits at angle, forehead to base of skull [[ {\\) not [[ {=)
The PSVR should be on your head at the same angle as if it's resting on a table. Front vertical, bottom flat.

dante_f

Don't know if it only for belgium but Netsky is giving a 360 ° show and you can watch it on YouTube via the psvr this Saturday at 9pm Cet. This is actually pretty big

^^^ Oh, I thought the VR patch was the new perspective only. I didn't know it allowed 3D for the classic game too. Thanks for the headsup.

BTW, if anyone was wondering, I noticed you can use your PSVR's breakout box capabilities to process 3D audio in capable non-VR games like Uncharted 4 using any headset using a wired connection. Non PSVR owners have to buy a specialized set of headphones for it to work. For best results IMHO, play with the headphones on but the VR headset off to enjoy the 2D visuals on your HDTV.

I also turned down the audio levels in my receiver for my five speakers, allowing me to only get the strong bass response while listening to 3D SFX on the headphones. This trick works great for increasing the BOO! factor in RE7 as well.

Neat. I assumed it would work with PSVR like that. Now I just want the virtual surround sound of the headsets to be also added to PSVR. I want to have it for when I watch Blu-Rays in PSVR.

Joystick

Yeah that Josh Bell thing is the most impressive video I've ever seen in VR. The quality is great and you can even move your head and look around objects. I don't know how they did that.

The Joshua Bell thing is pretty neat. Definitely better than any VR video content I've seen so far, although it definitely "cheats" by replacing some elements in the room with actual 3D models.

That's not cheating - it's how this is the only video that can honestly call itself VR! All of the other videos that claim "360 degree VR" without positional tracking don't count.

To make it they record the scene using more than one stereo camera from behind you and to the sides and then turn it into a rendered 3D scene (they're using Unity) where there are 3D objects, and project the video from the various cameras onto the objects as textures. Playback is then a VR game/app, not a video.

It would have been a laborious manual job to construct the scene but we will see semi and then fully automated processes in the future.

Here is the "making of" video:
https://youtu.be/poI6E8O4jmQ

Kyolux

So I now have an HDR 4K tv. I have it set up right now so that I have an hdmi directly from my tv to the pro. And the PS VR stuff is plugged into the tv into another hdmi slot, so I only have one hdmi wire to switch if I'm planning to switch between VR or HDR.

I never really paid much attention because I didn't really expect to get an HDR tv any time soon, but what were the switch solutions and how are they working out?

That's not cheating - it's how this is the only video that can honestly call itself VR! All of the other videos that claim "360 degree VR" without positional tracking don't count.

To make it they record the scene using stereo cameras from side/front/back angles and then turn it into a rendered 3D scene (they're using Unity) where there are 3D objects, and project the video from the various cameras onto the objects as textures. Playback is then a VR game/app, not a video.

It would have been a laborious manual job to construct the scene but we will see semi and then fully automated processes in the future.

Cheat I say! Cheat!

Seriously, amazing stuff. I'll give it a look tomorrow after work.

And my hope is that will lead to feature length videos.

Those are probably going to be expensive af to produce.

To make it they record the scene using more than one stereo camera from behind you and to the sides and then turn it into a rendered 3D scene (they're using Unity) where there are 3D objects, and project the video from the various cameras onto the objects as textures. Playback is then a VR game/app, not a video.

And my hope is that will lead to feature length videos.

Those are probably going to be expensive af to produce.

Right now? Absolutely. Once it's a fully automated process. I'm not so sure.

cakely

The results are really amazing, I'd love to see more "videos" like it.

atomsk

Party Pooper
TrinusVR was a complete failure for me, it will work for 3d videos and space games like Elite Dangerous where it tracks only head movements, but I was trying a pseudo whole room setup with 4 PS3 cameras and PS Move. I just couldn't get proper PS Move tracking no matter what I tried and it doesn't help that I have newer Move controllers where the magnetometer was disabled by Sony. I guess I have no idea how to properly position the 4 cameras to get full tracking, the ps3 cameras have a narrow FOV and I don't own 4 tripods so I was using shelves up high and aiming downwards.

Do you have to buy older Move controllers to have a decent chance at tracking with PSMoveService?

setting up Trinus is on my agenda for this week at some point, picked up a 2nd PS3 Eye, and I've got my 2 original Move controllers.

looking through all the tutorials is kinda making my head spin, gotta devote an afternoon to tinkering.

also wtf happened to War Thunder PSVR, is that just never happening?

karasu

Yeah!! I just got VR yesterday and this is what blew my mind the most. Firstly because I love Joshua Bell. But when I leaned back and looked around the piano to get a clear look at the pianist's hands I kind of lost my shit because it was so awesome. So so amazing.

Surfheart

Rhombus of ruin was a fantastic experience. Right up there with Batman for me.
Great use of VR, great art and music, super polished.

I finished the game, pulled the headset off and it was 2:45 in the morning.

andylsun

setting up Trinus is on my agenda for this week at some point, picked up a 2nd PS3 Eye, and I've got my 2 original Move controllers.

looking through all the tutorials is kinda making my head spin, gotta devote an afternoon to tinkering.

also wtf happened to War Thunder PSVR, is that just never happening?

The psmoveservice wiki was updated a couple of days ago with more detailed instructions. I'm going to try the calibration mat with 3 cameras and stereo 2 camera tracking mode and see what works best.

Edit: try setting up without freepie, that is used with a third move controller taped to the headset as there is no working positional tracking via camera yet. You can just use the gyroscope in the headset at first then go more complicated later

VexyWexy

Dirt Rally does nothing for me. I think the lack of G-force (or whatever you call the physical sense of speed) just instantly kills the immersion that VR would otherwise create.

Oh well, still love my PSVR. Is there anything major on the horizon other than Ace Combat?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
*Splinter said:
I remember that section being quite rough (although I'm on a base PS4).
That has more to do with the game than the headset - there are realistic forests that don't look rough at all on some PSVR games (especially with Pro).

Mosse

Neo Member

I completely agree. The mind powers of the original psychonauts worked perfectly in VR. And the story made the teleportation movement and lack of move controllers to not be a problem at all.

I loved the writting and gameplay, the puzzels were a bit easy but made great use of the platform. The production value is up there with Batman and the only downside for me is that like Batman it's only a few hours long, but it was also not that expensive and I would love to pay full price for something longer.

If you loved Psychonauts, then you must play Rhombus of ruin!

Flandy

I'm pretty sure the reason the Josh Bell VR thing works so well is because there's a lot of 3D rendered assets in the inside of the video itself. I didn't notice it at first but I'm rather certain theres some real time graphics going on in that video

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm pretty sure the reason the Josh Bell VR thing works so well is because there's a lot of 3D rendered assets in the inside of the video itself. I didn't notice it at first but I'm rather certain theres some real time graphics going on in that video

Yes, there are about 30 real-time model entities in the scene.

You should watch the making of video.

Darknight

Personally I'd say no, not given the price I know it has been and currently is here in the UK, the wheel/shift has been £150 previously here and even currently on Amazon is £188/$234 that's with our lovely VAT as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LSKLAOU/

Thanks for the link dude!!

Ok so now the question is, should I wait till its like 150euro? Also will i pay tax of some kind? Total is like $254 shipped to NY. I just want to make sure I spend my money wisely and dont want to miss on a sale or whatever.

You could use a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect to the PSVR and then use mini display port to your monitor. You won't get audio to the headset but that doesn't matter as it doesn't seem to work anyway.

Has anyone else got audio out of the headset working from the PC?

Thanks! I think I could do that!!

valeu

Ok, so i got over my initial camera control complaint with Here They Lie. This game is absolutely cray cray. It started a bit horror-ish then turned sexual and violent. I would be curious to hear Anita Sarkeesian's take on it. It's the kind of game that I can't believe Sony greenlighted (it's Sony Santa Monica). I would love to have been in a board meeting when they pitched this. That said, if you like the movies of David Lynch and David Cronenberg, then this game will be up your alley. For ex. the highlight so far was me (in first person VR) being a
peep booth stripper in a window that animal-headed men and women were getting turned-on watching
. I never thought I would have that experience. Haha. I played for a few hours and now it's time for bed.

Wait, you have a Pro, that's not possible. Do you think you got a faulty headset?

Can you elaborate? I have a Pro, and the resolution in RE VII is quite low. And if you run very much, it drops even lower.

I mean, we don't have a good way to gauge it, but I'd call it sub-720p normally, and when it drops, it's maybe 480p at best.

What's it supposed to be? I have no one else with a PSVR to compare with.

Can you elaborate? I have a Pro, and the resolution in RE VII is quite low. And if you run very much, it drops even lower.

I mean, we don't have a good way to gauge it, but I'd call it sub-720p normally, and when it drops, it's maybe 480p at best.

What's it supposed to be? I have no one else with a PSVR to compare with.

Well compared to a normal PS4, the resolution should be better after you get inside the house. Not saying is Crisis quality. Anyway, he had more than just image quality issues though, that's why I suggested maybe it was faulty.

rafaelr

I completely agree. The mind powers of the original psychonauts worked perfectly in VR. And the story made the teleportation movement and lack of move controllers to not be a problem at all.

I loved the writting and gameplay, the puzzels were a bit easy but made great use of the platform. The production value is up there with Batman and the only downside for me is that like Batman it's only a few hours long, but it was also not that expensive and I would love to pay full price for something longer.

If you loved Psychonauts, then you must play Rhombus of ruin!

yes, rhombus of ruin was pretty incredible. vr-experience-wise i´d put it up with batman and rez area x on my list. the way they play with different perspectives made me go "whoa" several times. i only wish there was more of it and it had a few more (difficult) puzzles.

Dirt Rally does nothing for me. I think the lack of G-force (or whatever you call the physical sense of speed) just instantly kills the immersion that VR would otherwise create.

Oh well, still love my PSVR. Is there anything major on the horizon other than Ace Combat?

Try changing the vehicle movement option. When it isn't active it feels almost like the car is on rails (I didn't like this at all) but with it on the car feels very alive.

U2NUMB

OK well as a new owner of VR I need to ask this. For the first time in my life I now have an eye infection... In both eyes. How likely is it that I picked this up from the headset?

Had friends over this weekend... Did not use it myself till wed night... Thursday.. boom infection.

So now I need to know just for peace of mind. How do you guys clean this thing?

OK well as a new owner of VR I need to ask this. For the first time in my life I now have an eye infection... In both eyes. How likely is it that I picked this up from the headset?

Had friends over this weekend... Did not use it myself till wed night... Thursday.. boom infection.

So now I need to know just for peace of mind. How do you guys clean this thing?

I use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IKGH2TI/

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cleansin...200-Universal-Sanitising-Pack-200/B00BKX0RSQ/

gmoran

No because you move the front and back depending on the angle you want, i.e. it doesn't have to be like the diagram. There is quite a lot of your forehead and back of your head you can use and as long as the lens are in front of your eyes all is good. Once you know the general position of where the lenses should be it is super quick to adjust, it took me a while to realise this though.

Yep, once the HMD is nicely warmed up I adjust the band at the back to be higher up: absolutely no light bleed whatsoever and so close to the eyes for that wider FOV. I have no comfort issues with PSVR: awesome design.

Awesome thank you.. ordered some of each!

No worries, the antibac wipes I've seen in hospitals so I'm pretty confident in them and after doing so research Clinell are suppliers for the NHS here in the UK.

The Zeiss wipes are not a bad price on Amazon however if you are a member of Costco, they are slightly cheaper and last month were on sale I get 2 boxes (400 wipes) for £12

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Welp....guess I'm getting this game next.

Thanks, no wonder it was so amazing! I hope we get more like this in the future. All other VR videos without positional tracking now seem lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom