• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

iratA

I decided to take the plunge based on your impressions... I'm very satisfied! I don't know if it's just the perspective from the cockpit or what, but I do feel like the steering model is different in VR. I was much more in control of my car and making tough turns one after enough without a lot of trouble. Certainly nowhere near as much grief as the game gives me on-TV. I'm probably going to always play it in VR now. $13 well spent. So thank you for the recommendations! :)
*snip*

Hey no problems. Glad your getting something out of it.

I didn't have any problems installing the upgrade DLC so I'm not sure what happened there but happy to hear it worked out for you in the end. I think we (us VR early adopters) will help shape the future landscape of the software that uses this technology. I believe we should try and support devs who are putting the effort in and are getting great results. The Dirt VR experience is not just immersive but very fun, I think its a reasonably priced upgrade too. Hell I could think of half a dozen other games that could release a VR patch like this one and see good results.

VR Bloodbourne would be amazing

fromsoftware0502-610.jpg

Fingers crossed but I have a feeling it will be something to do with Armoured Core,

ckohler

Sorry for yet another RE7 review but...

I just finished it yesterday and it was fantastic. By far the best VR game. Period. I've enjoyed so many other "experiences" on PSVR (Batman, Sports Bar, Wayward Sky, etc.) but this is the real deal. A full, AAA game playable in VR. Not only that, it was a GREAT game! Really engaging, challenging and fun.

I had so many reservations about playing RE7 in VR because a) I'm not usually one to play scary games and b) this is about as scary as it can get. Yet, I found the whole experience so compelling I forced myself over that initial hump and I'm so glad I did! Yes, it was scary. But honestly, it wasn't so bad. I'd compare it to a real life roller coaster ride. When you first get on, you're really nervous. As you're riding it's frightening. But it's also exhilarating and enjoyable and once the ride ends you realize how much fun you just had.

In closing, RE7 is the real deal. A fantastically put together game that would be fun even on a 2D screen with a compelling narrative and characters. But with the addition of PSVR, you are there. You are in this world. You are INSIDE a horror movie. It's an experience unlike anything I've ever had in gaming.

I'm sooo glad that Capcom has said they plan to do more VR. Bring it on!

Shoeless

Whatever it is, it'll either be a game with added VR experience, or more likely a fully playable game in both VR and on a 2D screen à la RE7, I'd love a Mech game or King's Field.

A good mech game is just begging to be played in VR, especially if it has a good cockpit mode.

Grinchy

Banned
Sorry for yet another RE7 review but...

I just finished it yesterday and it was fantastic. By far the best VR game. Period. I've enjoyed so many other "experiences" on PSVR (Batman, Sports Bar, Wayward Sky, etc.) but this is the real deal. A full, AAA game playable in VR. Not only that, it was a GREAT game! Really engaging, challenging and fun.

I had so many reservations about playing RE7 in VR because a) I'm not usually one to play scary games and b) this is about as scary as it can get. Yet, I found the whole experience so compelling I forced myself over that initial hump and I'm so glad I did! Yes, it was scary. But honestly, it wasn't so bad. I'd compare it to a real life roller coaster ride. When you first get on, you're really nervous. As you're riding it's frightening. But it's also exhilarating and enjoyable and once the ride ends you realize how much fun you just had.

In closing, RE7 is the real deal. A fantastically put together game that would be fun even on a 2D screen with a compelling narrative and characters. But with the addition of PSVR, you are there. You are in this world. You are INSIDE a horror movie. It's an experience unlike anything I've ever had in gaming.

I'm sooo glad that Capcom has said they plan to do more VR. Bring it on!

Yeah it's easily the best VR game. I wish more people got to try it out in VR. My sister bought my nephew a PSVR for christmas and they recently bought this game. They tried the VR for like 3 minutes and then played the whole thing in 2D. What a shame!

BadHand

Yeah it's easily the best VR game. I wish more people got to try it out in VR. My sister bought my nephew a PSVR for christmas and they recently bought this game. They tried the VR for like 3 minutes and then played the whole thing in 2D. What a shame!

I started and finished my first play through in VR. Tried it without on my second but kept dying because I keep trying to aim with my head. VR is the only way to play this game, it feels so good.

I also posted about this in the DiRT Rally VR thread but figured it made sense to post here too. DiRT Rally VR is really, really good on Pro/PSVR and I don't even own a steering wheel (or play racing games that often). Anyone looking for a great racing game and a good showpiece for PSVR (Like RE7 is) then you must get it.

Here is my First Date stream of me playing it if you are interested:
http://raincitygamers.com/video/rcg-first-date-dirt-rally-vr/

I would recommend jumping to the 32 min mark of the video. I am pretty brutal up until then as I get used to everything haha

Shoeless

Here They Lie is getting a PS Pro update tomorrow, in addition to some other goodies:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...-with-ps4-and-ps4-pro-support-on-february-21/

Wow, I am pleasantly surprised. I bought this game at launch and was one of the few that was able to play it without crippling motion sickness issues. I figured that they were just going to leave it by the wayside, but with all of these patches, I may just fire it up again so I can fill out my trophy list. I wonder if this means there are options for enabling smooth turning.

Kyolux

This patch sounds great. Going to keep an eye on this. I don't want to spend $20 on a walking simulator but I'll insta-buy as soon as it goes on sale.

Same. Had a hard time with the way the demo felt, never went back to it. But may consider it on sale with all these changes.

Just swapped my GameStop refurb with a new Rush of Blood bundle. I hadn't tried any move VR titles until tonight and the Job Simulator demo was like a VR epiphany for me. I need more experiences like that. Any recommendations? Is I Expect You to Die a standing +Move type thing too?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Just swapped my GameStop refurb with a new Rush of Blood bundle. I hadn't tried any move VR titles until tonight and the Job Simulator demo was like a VR epiphany for me. I need more experiences like that. Any recommendations? Is I Expect You to Die a standing +Move type thing too?

You stay in one spot in I Expect You To Die and it supports dual Moves, yes.

Flandy

Would I like it if I haven't played the original? Any word on how long it is?

While the characters are enjoyable, the entire plot is based on the ending of the original game. I would recommend playing the original first (it's a great game as well).

I've heard it's 2-3 hours long.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's a shame... I remember Trackmania also being slightly overzealous with this. Until one time I managed to finally get out of bounds being reset, and was finally able to drive around and crash etc all in first person.

What? Trackmania needed far more aggressive blackouts. Unless something changed in a patch?

Still need to hook up the G29 for this, might give a go tonight as the girls are out this evening.

Quoting myself but gave this a go last night, my god it's nerve racking sometimes! Had an issue that my Pro didn't seem to want to broadcast while playing. When checking my YT videos all I had was the blue screen and bouncing icons.

ta155

Anyone played Werewolves Within and/or Eagle Flight and if so what are the online communities like? I have a PSVR and my buddy has an Oculus and we're quite keen to try out the cross-platform multiplayer.

Karak

The reviews I'm reading say 2-3 hours....
Less than 2 for me. At that price. No way. I got stuck on one puzzle for a bit and was already under 2. If someone doesn't make that mistake your looking at 1.5 as there isn't much additional stuff to do in the game.

hank_tree

Anyone played Werewolves Within and/or Eagle Flight and if so what are the online communities like? I have a PSVR and my buddy has an Oculus and we're quite keen to try out the cross-platform multiplayer.

Werewolves Within has a surprisingly good community. I've rarely had a bad game. Maybe 2/100. Highly recommended.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Armored Core? CHROMEHOUNDS PLEASE.

;)

With From saying it's receiving VR support I can't think of another established genre/series from them as their next game.

It has to be a mech game I guess. Fortunately they're working on other titles as well, not my cup of tea - bought Mechwarrior 2 as the first game I got with my own money and I had my fill since then lol.

Less than 2 for me. At that price. No way. I got stuck on one puzzle for a bit and was already under 2. If someone doesn't make that mistake your looking at 1.5 as there isn't much additional stuff to do in the game.

I messed around in that starting area for a good 45 min just looking around and playing with my powers and listening to the different commentary. I know everyone plays games differently, but I'm big on hanging out in the atmosphere. Also, shooting the beam out of your forehead is fun 🙂

Karak

I messed around in that starting area for a good 45 min just looking around and playing with my powers and listening to the different commentary. I know everyone plays games differently, but I'm big on hanging out in the atmosphere. Also, shooting the beam out of your forehead is fun 🙂
Sure than maybe 2 hours lol

ranmafan

Well over the weekend I finally got my copy of Eve Valkyrie, along with a few other games I may talk about later, and I must say its one of the games Ive been dreaming of for a long time. Way back when PS1 first released, I bought my system in the summer of 96 to play one game specifically. Wing Commander III. I had seen the PC game in ads and such and I wanted to have a great space flight sim to play. It was a fun ride. This weekend with Eve Valkyrie was in many ways like a return to those days.

Every time I got into the game I was just taken in awe by the fact I was playing a space sim that felt real. I was jumping into battles and really getting into the mood unlike any game I had in quite a while. The cockpit is so awesome in the game, and the ability to look anywhere you can when you need to makes it such a great experience. flying through ships, and going through battles was just amazing.

Yes the single player is a letdown, but its got an amazingly fun multiplayer. I was having a blast each battle. I can see myself playing this for a very long time.

And thankfully no issues with any motion sickness or whatnot. Everything felt good and natural. So that was a huge relief. Overall fantastic game, one of my faves on PSVR for sure. Oh how I wish there were more such games like this right now.

mclem

I've not really looked at PSVR software much since the launch, but I'm getting a hankering for something puzzley (as in adventure game puzzles, as opposed to other more abstract puzzles like, say, TumbleVR). Right now that will most likely be filled by Rhombus of Ruin, which ought to tide me over until Zelda - but I'm curious if anything else has cropped up in the intervening few months that's particularly worth a look on the PSVR front?

(I'm heavily looking forward to Statik although that doesn't seem to have a solid release date yet)

I've not really looked at PSVR software much since the launch, but I'm getting a hankering for something puzzley (as in adventure game puzzles, as opposed to other more abstract puzzles like, say, TumbleVR). Right now that will most likely be filled by Rhombus of Ruin, which ought to tide me over until Zelda - but I'm curious if anything else has cropped up in the intervening few months that's particularly worth a look on the PSVR front?

(I'm heavily looking forward to Statik although that doesn't seem to have a solid release date yet)

I Expect You to Die may have what you're looking for too

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/i-expect-you-to-die-review/1900-6416590/

joeblow

To the poster above asking about Trackmania Turbo VR (free upgrade to the original game), here's my review.

If you go for 100% Green Medals it will take about a dozen hours of immensely fun game play to do it, give or take a few hours. If you go for all Gold medals, maybe 1-4 hours depending on your skill level. If you just want to experience roller coaster VR craziness, you can play every track in less time than that.

By the way, there are no blackouts in TTT VR when crashing (or at all, really). Also, if you simply want to experience playing a track in full 1st person mode, simply crash into a wall early on and it will be stuck with that viewpoint until you reset.

I have the beta firmware/VR patch. Stereo games didnt work on the headset from my experience.

Tried Zen pinball and it was mono :(
I just tried 3D mode for Super Stardust Ultra with the PS4 OS beta patch (I do not own the VR DLC). It works just fine with the headset. My guess is 3D mode for Sniper 4 works in VR as well.

EDIT: Checked again... no 3D effect with VR.

To the poster above asking about Trackmania Turbo VR (free upgrade to the original game), here's my review.

If you go for 100% Green Medals it will take about a dozen hours of immensely fun game play to do it, give or take a few hours. If you go for all Gold medals, maybe 1-4 hours depending on your skill level. If you just want to experience roller coaster VR craziness, you can play every track in less time than that.

By the way, there are no blackouts in TTT VR when crashing (or at all, really). Also, if you simply want to experience playing a track in full 1st person mode, simply crash into a wall early on and it will be stuck with that viewpoint until you reset.

I just tried 3D mode for Super Stardust Ultra with the PS4 OS beta patch (I do not own the VR DLC). It works just fine with the headset. My guess is 3D mode for Sniper 4 works in VR as well.

Super Stardust had a VR patch/DLC did you purchase that? I tried running Trine and Sniper 3 using the 4.5 and neither worked in stereoscopic.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The later areas in Resident Evil have made me wonder if a slow tactical shooter would work in VR. Earlier I would have thought this was a definite no due to the locomotion issues but no I'm not so sure - I played Killzone 3 with move and nav control and it was brilliant, hopefully Farpoint will sell well so lots of people have the gun control and more games will support it going forward.

The answer is YES! RE7 has proven it.

bumpkin

Here's our review of Psychonauts if anyone's interested.

I really enjoyed my time with it despite it being only 2 to 3 hours long.
Does it support Move controllers? And is that the recommended way to play?

I've got it digitally preordered, but haven't gotten to try it yet. Won't be able to until tonight after work.

Well over the weekend I finally got my copy of Eve Valkyrie, along with a few other games I may talk about later, and I must say its one of the games Ive been dreaming of for a long time. Way back when PS1 first released, I bought my system in the summer of 96 to play one game specifically. Wing Commander III. I had seen the PC game in ads and such and I wanted to have a great space flight sim to play. It was a fun ride. This weekend with Eve Valkyrie was in many ways like a return to those days.

Every time I got into the game I was just taken in awe by the fact I was playing a space sim that felt real. I was jumping into battles and really getting into the mood unlike any game I had in quite a while. The cockpit is so awesome in the game, and the ability to look anywhere you can when you need to makes it such a great experience. flying through ships, and going through battles was just amazing.

Yes the single player is a letdown, but its got an amazingly fun multiplayer. I was having a blast each battle. I can see myself playing this for a very long time.

And thankfully no issues with any motion sickness or whatnot. Everything felt good and natural. So that was a huge relief. Overall fantastic game, one of my faves on PSVR for sure. Oh how I wish there were more such games like this right now.

EVE Valkyrie is the only game that have given me the surprise "holy shit its beautiful" moment in VR. Got caught in the centre of a swarm, boosted to the edge and pulled back as I came around the sight was something else; a planet in the background with what seemed like trails of every ship, explosions, missiles and anti-missile measures all happening in a small space. Looked outstanding.

Great post. I have also always dreamed of a game like this. We need an X-Wing game like this. The Battlefront mission doesn't even come close.

joeblow

Super Stardust had a VR patch/DLC did you purchase that? I tried running Trine and Sniper 3 using the 4.5 and neither worked in stereoscopic.

Like I said above, I do not own the VR DLC for Super Stardust. However the 3D mode for the normal game works perfectly with the headset. I was just guessing for Sniper 4 because of this, but you say it doesn't work with two other 3D games (with 4.5 beta), so I dunno.

EDIT: Checked again (see below)... 3D doesn't work with VR.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Is there anything in particular you need to do to allow for 3D supported games to run in the HMD? I have the beta firmware... I loaded up Sniper Elite 4 from my headset and the 3D option was greyed out in the menu.

WITHE1982

Job Simulator is a favourite in my household. It's pretty much what the PSVR+ Move Controllers were made for (Yey! My PS Moves are finally worth owning). In fact I'm currently arguing with my wife and daughter over who gets to finish the final level as we've all done one level each.

I Expect You To Die looks very good and is reviewing really well although I've yet to try it myself. It'll probably be my next purchase after I play Psychonauts.

I found Headmaster to be great deal of fun. Despite looking rather limited in trailers its simple premise and excellent mechanics mixed with dry British humour make it a winner for me.

Also maybe check out Wayward Sky. I've not played it myself but it's a isometric point-click style puzzle game which may tick a few boxes.

Sure than maybe 2 hours lol

You sure do assume alot. Sure it's a short game but many of us do play much differently than you. In that I've already found your breezy dismissal misleading for the way I play games. Thanks for continuing to insist on it however 😂

I cant believe how hardcore Dirt Rally is, this is the first VR game that gave me nausea, but maybe it was a combination of the amount of time I played and frustration of losing events, Im starting to get the ropes but damn...

Not my first sim game but my first rally sim game, quite different, Im super glad I bought it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom