• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManeKast

I've been struggling to get a snug fit for ages on this thing. Finally today, I tried someone elses and the twisting knob at the back actually tightens the unit to your face, and stays. Mine has always done 2-3 clicks then loosened, like it wont hold after a few clicks whereas my friends would tighten and stay tightened, giving me a clear picture and no light getting in underneath .

With mine, I thought that's just how it was, but mine's not like that and explains why lights been getting in underneath, it just won't tighten, 2-3 clicks then loosened. The eject button kinda does nothing too. Im out of my 7 day return at ebgames australia.

Am I screwed?

Ps. The rubber bands are fine. Its just that it wont tighten and hold. It just goes 1,2 clicks then loose. Like a tooth is missing.

PS. Sony wamt $150 to fix it. For fucks sake. Its 10 days old.

MageBoySA

I've been struggling to get a snug fit for ages on this thing. Finally today, I tried someone elses and the twisting knob at the back actually tightens the unit to your face. Mine has always done 2-3 clicks then loosened, like it wont hold after a few clicks whereas my friends would tighten and stay tightened, giving me a clear picture and no light getting in underneath .

With mine, I thought that's just how it was, but mine's not like that and explains why lights been getting in underneath, it just won't tighten, 2-3 clicks then loosened. The eject button kinda does nothing too. Im out of my 7 day return at ebgames australia.

Am I screwed?

Ps. The rubber bands are fine. Its just that it wont tighten and hold. It just goes 1,2 clicks then loose. Like a tooth is missing.

Just sent mine in to Sony because I got the Blinking Red Light of Death on the processor unit. No hassle to do it at all, and they have a 1 year warranty in the US, where we have the absolute worse consumer protection laws in the world. Might be worth giving them a call.

ManeKast

Just sent mine in to Sony because I got the Blinking Red Light of Death on the processor unit. No hassle to do it at all, and they have a 1 year warranty in the US, where we have the absolute worse consumer protection laws in the world. Might be worth giving them a call.

I edited in an extra bit. I called them about it yesterday and they claim that it would only be broken by excessive force. I can tell you I have been meticulous with it since day 1. $150au to repair.

On a side note, what a rubix cube to repackage this thing. Nightmare.

It's turned me off the whole thing. I regret buying it now. And strongly will be warning others against it.

MageBoySA

I edited in an extra bit. I called them about it yesterday and they claim that it would only be broken by excessive force. I can tell you I have been meticulous with it since day 1. $150au to repair.

On a side note, what a rubix cube to repackage this thing. Nightmare.

It's turned me off the whole thing. I regret buying it now. And strongly will be warning others against it.
Ugh that sucks. Sorry :( Sony was really awesome for me when it comes to support for fixing mine.

I need some assistance with Rhombus of Ruin. I'm stuck at the part where
I need to get Lily to snap out of it in the old bomber plane. I moved the music box into the area with the rat and the flea and I moved the flea into the music box
but I don't know what to do next. Thanks!

GeeTeeCee

I need some assistance with Rhombus of Ruin. I'm stuck at the part where
I need to get Lily to snap out of it in the old bomber plane. I moved the music box into the area with the rat and the flea and I moved the flea into the music box
but I don't know what to do next. Thanks!

Use
your clairvoyance (?) ability (square button) to swap to the flea's perspective.

I'm stuck a few areas after that...

I've been struggling to get a snug fit for ages on this thing. Finally today, I tried someone elses and the twisting knob at the back actually tightens the unit to your face, and stays. Mine has always done 2-3 clicks then loosened, like it wont hold after a few clicks whereas my friends would tighten and stay tightened, giving me a clear picture and no light getting in underneath .

Am I screwed?

This doesn't sound like something you should just have to accept. If the unit was always like that and you've only had it ten days, and reported it already, I would really expect you should be able to get a replacement from someone. Manfacturer or retailer. Australia is a relatively social country, you ought to have some recourse here in consumer statutes, surely?

Are Australian consumer laws really that shit?

Phone up again and talk to somebody else say that it has been like it since day one and really disappointed with the way you were handled with on the prior call and fobbed off as if it was your fault when you bought it like that.

That is something that should absolutely be covered.

Synth

Vive is not the answer. Screen sucks compared to PSVR screen due to much greater screen door effect (pentile vs RGB), and big games like RE7 or Akham VR will always come on PSVR not on Vive due to a much bigger installed base on PSVR. Immersion is pretty good on PSVR by the way, especially with PS Move.

I could buy a Vive on my 1070 PC but even if you're ok with the bad screen (and lack of comfort on Vive too), the lack of software (other than small games and experiences) makes it pointless. It's the usual vicious circle killing VR right now : no big games mean nobody wants to invest in it (both devs and customers), and nobody buying it means you get no big games, especially on PC...

I have the PSVR and the Oculus Rift, and unless there's a huge gulf between the screen quality of the Rift and the Vive (and I don't recall that being the case when I tested the Vive, before making my purchase), then no... the PSVR's output is quite clearly not as good as the PC headsets, let alone saying it "sucks" by comparison. Whilst the SDE is definitely more prominent, the higher resolution still results in a much sharper and clearer image than the comparatively soft and blurry output of the PSVR. I have tried some of the exact same software and experiences across both, and the Rift has been comfortably superior in each case, and that's before getting to the fidelity of the games themselves (or the sort of supersampling afforded by a GTX1080). And in regards to citing the Move for immersion, both of the PC solutions are legitimately a generation ahead in that regards, whilst also being able to cover much larger play spaces, and not having spasms when the headset and controllers get close to one another.

In terms of games... that one's not even really justifiable as opinion... there is objectively far, far more software available for VR on PC in comparison to what's available for the PSVR, despite the sales gap.. and with a little logic applied that makes plenty of sense. Unless Sony specifically bankrolls exclusivity for the PSVR (for stuff like RE7, RoTR, possibly Ace Combat, etc) there's very little incentive to create something that'll run on PSVR, and then not make the rather painless effort of also making it available for PC, where there's still a healthy amount of potential buyers. This isn't true the other way around however, and many games that are playable in VR on PC, can't easily be ported down to PSVR due to the low specs of the standard PS4 being mandatory to support. So stuff like Elite Dangerous, or Project Cars are far less likely to see PSVR support, because unlike on PC where the requirement of improved specification can simply be placed on the player, you would have to actively tweak the game and any assets down from something that already requires an entire PS4 to play as standard to now work in VR. This additional effort is likely why something like Dirt's VR add-on is paid DLC on PS4 in comparison to being a free update on PC, and why Driveclub VR is a different SKU from standard Driveclub (and omits much of the standard game's graphical features).

It's easy to look at names like Batman, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Star Wars Battlefront, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy and Resident Evil, etc, and conclude that the platform gathers more "AAA" support... but outside of Resident Evil 7 (which is only currently exclusive because Sony's paid for a year exclusivity), none of those are fully-fledged games. They're short experiences, than in many cases last for under an hour... less than many single-player DLC missions do in standard titles. Meanwhile the platform lacks a lot of full-scale games playable entirely in VR across Steam and Oculus Home, such as the aforementioned Elite Dangerous and Project Cars, along with other stuff like Serious Sam, Doom 3, Robo Recall, Superhot VR and others. In some cases this will be due to the console specs, in some cases it'll be due to roomscale requirements, in some cases it'll simply be due to ease and cost of publishing on PC versus console... but none of these reason apply in the other direction, which is why there's both far more games and apps/experiences on the PC side, and that's unlikely to change.

ManeKast

This doesn't sound like something you should just have to accept. If the unit was always like that and you've only had it ten days, and reported it already, I would really expect you should be able to get a replacement from someone. Manfacturer or retailer. Australia is a relatively social country, you ought to have some recourse here in consumer statutes, surely?

I'm gonna go explain the situation to EB games today. Hopefully they offer a replacement. Though these are on backorder I can wait. I have a good relationship with them and will be trading $600 worth of stuff today toward my $1200 Switch preorder.

Surely they will help out. If they don't I will take all my business to JBHIFI who are close by.

Fingers crossed. I dont mind waiting I just want a working unit amd talking to Sony so far has been, as usual, aweful.

I have the PSVR and the Oculus Rift... {snip snip}

Can't say you are wrong with any of this but these are also the reasons between publishing on consoles and PC in general and we all know how that works. I don't really see VR on PC or console being much different than how the industry has worked between the platforms for decades. RE7 will probably be released the same on PCVR as it was with PSVR but take advantage of the grunt for better texture streaming, resolution, frame rate. At some point somebody will make a motion mod and will probably be pretty damn cool but at the same time the From Software PSVR stuff (or similar) will be out and most people looking at VR will be focused on that. PCVR will get its exclusives as well just like it does now with games that suit a M+K but if the games can support both and the devs are big enough to afford to support both they probably will, Sony will likely do what they did with indies on the PS4 and drastically reduce their costs to get their games on the platform.

I don't agree with the poster you were quoting though.

Matush

I'm having crazy problems with Moves in Until Dawn. Couple of weeks ago tracking was fine, but not even after system calibration it just doesn't work. Any tips?

*Splinter

I'm having crazy tons of fun with RIGS. Basically haven't played anything else on my PS4 for almost 2 weeks now. Online matches are great and so is the solo camping. It's funny now that I started playing the game with every VR comfort option enabled and maxed out and now, good 25-30 hours in, I've disabled all the comfort settins and feel great even after while playing. I even decided to go for the platinum (seems easy enough, so why not). But I do have a question about these tournaments.
Looks like it when I lost the first 2-3 matches in the first league, the Powerslam tournament didn't pop up for me. I won the league and I'm half way through the second league and getting winning the Endzone tournament. Question is, how to replay the powerslam tournament? From my understanding in the third league I will compete in the Team Takedown tournament.
And what happens after I clear all three leagues in offline mode?
You get a new tournament every season, but the tournament type is chosen at random rather than tied to any specific league. So you might have to play through a few seasons to get the tournament you want but you don't have to be demoted on purpose.

You can also change team to start back in the lowest league, if you want.

ManeKast

lol. getting multiple switches, 4 joycons, and 4 pro controllers?

Switch neon, extra joycons, charging grip (I know....), pro controller, zelda special edition ($200au), zelda amiibos (all), bomberman, car charger and zelda carry case.

;-)

Was hoping to pick up Eve VR but see how my problem goes.

Shoeless

That's one game EU gets first than US. The tides are turning :p

I can wait. Still a lot of traditional games I'm trying to get through anyway. I'm trying to finish Yakuza 0 right now in time to start up on Horizon when it unlocks for me at midnight tomorrow, and there's still Nier, Mass Effect: Andromeda and Persona 5 in the pipeline.

I'm actually okay with the shorter content of PS VR stuff because I can squeeze in these smaller experiences in between the bigger games. I STILL haven't played RE7 because I'm waiting for a sale on that.

RobbieNick

You get a new tournament every season, but the tournament type is chosen at random rather than tied to any specific league. So you might have to play through a few seasons to get the tournament you want but you don't have to be demoted on purpose.

You can also change team to start back in the lowest league, if you want.

If I do that (I suck at the game) will I still be able to keep my purchased mechs?

Shoeless

Yeah, and now they are including the Enterprise from the original series, but only for the 'ongoing missions' procedurally generated mode.

Yeah, that got a very nerdy "SQUEE!" out of me when they announced that after the first delay. Constitution class bridge is a big draw. Now if they keep this up and include some other environments, like a Galaxy-class bridge, I'd be willing to pay for that as DLC.

cakefoo

Can't say you are wrong with any of this but these are also the reasons between publishing on consoles and PC in general and we all know how that works. I don't really see VR on PC or console being much different than how the industry has worked between the platforms for decades. RE7 will probably be released the same on PCVR as it was with PSVR but take advantage of the grunt for better texture streaming, resolution, frame rate. At some point somebody will make a motion mod and will probably be pretty damn cool but at the same time the From Software PSVR stuff (or similar) will be out and most people looking at VR will be focused on that.
By the time Capcom can release a Vive-compatible RE7 patch, they will have had plenty of time to adapt it for motion controls. If Capcom is now truly a VR-focused company like they said, they'll want to avoid releasing a straight port of RE7 on a platform that will make their PSVR control scheme look antiquated.

nampad

Am I screwed?

What does the retailer, where you bought it, say? Big retailers in Germany often exchange stuff easily when ypu bought it recently.

Am I screwed?

The return period is 7 days, but you may have longer to make an exchange for another unit? It's at least worth asking the retailer about.

For what it's worth I never use the dial at the back of the headset, and I am able to get a clear picture every time. Good luck with the exchange/repair.

By the time Capcom can release a Vive-compatible RE7 patch, they will have had plenty of time to adapt it for motion controls. If Capcom is now truly a VR-focused company like they said, they'll want to avoid releasing a straight port of RE7 on a platform that will make their PSVR control scheme look antiquated.

Its a Japanese company port to PC I wouldn't get any hopes up especially on a game that has been given a Sony money to help develop a VR version.

Literally all VR related threads outside community-oriented ones like this end up the same way - massive amounts of concern trolling and tales deep from the ass.

these armchair tech warriors who seem to think they know better when even Sony themselves acknowledge they were surprised at the reception and almost every unit they produced sold.

never mind in 4 months, it overtook the competition combined.

On topic. I'm very excited for farpoint. Had a blast with it when I played and I dont think we've had a FPS fps. If they can implement it well, I hope we see more FPSes on PSVR. The immersiveness is unbeatable.

chippy13

I think dirt rally has become my favorite vr game. I keep saying just one more race and next thing I know I have completed another championship.

Synth

Can't say you are wrong with any of this but these are also the reasons between publishing on consoles and PC in general and we all know how that works. I don't really see VR on PC or console being much different than how the industry has worked between the platforms for decades. RE7 will probably be released the same on PCVR as it was with PSVR but take advantage of the grunt for better texture streaming, resolution, frame rate. At some point somebody will make a motion mod and will probably be pretty damn cool but at the same time the From Software PSVR stuff (or similar) will be out and most people looking at VR will be focused on that. PCVR will get its exclusives as well just like it does now with games that suit a M+K but if the games can support both and the devs are big enough to afford to support both they probably will, Sony will likely do what they did with indies on the PS4 and drastically reduce their costs to get their games on the platform.

I don't agree with the poster you were quoting though.

Well, I believe I considered the main reason between publishing on consoles and PC (the console manufacturer incentivising an exclusive). Other than that, I'd say it more how the industry worked than how it works now. There used to be far more console exclusives from third parties due to the consoles having more unique and exotic hardware configurations compared to a PC (and indeed other consoles). That's no longer the case, and now the consoles are not only very similar to each other, causing the majority of releases to be multiplatform between them, but also the PC platform. This combined with the fact that you can now safely expect a PC gamer to have some sort of suitable controller for games that previously were more geared towards consoles (thanks to the Xbox 360 controller standardising controller inputs on PC) and there's now very, very little reason to not put your game on PC in pretty much any case. These days games tend to be PS4+XB1+PC or XB1+PC or PS4+PC, games that don't hit PC are the exception rather than the norm now, and we're at a point where you can confidently expect the next BlazBlue or God Eater to hit the platform. Much like with VR, this doesn't necessarily work the other way around however, where a Total War, or a DOTA, or a Hearthstone, or a Star Citizen etc, can't be reliably assumed to hit a console.

According to a list of PS4 games on Wikipedia, there are over 1300 games available on PS4, with only 110 of them being exclusive to the platform, the vast majority of which have direct involvement or collaboration with Sony themselves. The are more VR games available on Steam that are not available on PSVR than that right now. Hell, there are more than 1300 software marked as Vive compatible on Steam right now, without factoring what Oculus brings. If we assume each of these has a demo listing alongside it, you'd still be looking at a ridiculous amount.

mclem

Just finished Rhombus of Ruin.

Yep, that's definitely a Psychonauts game. I mean, even if it *wasn't* quite nice in VR, that alone would be a huge draw for me.

cakefoo

Its a Japanese company port to PC I wouldn't get any hopes up especially on a game that has been given a Sony money to help develop a VR version.
I don't see how being a Japanese company has anything to do with anything.

And Sony paid for a year of VR exclusivity, and that's what they'll get. Nothing more.

According to a list of PS4 games on Wikipedia, there are over 1300 games available on PS4, with only 110 of them being exclusive to the platform, the vast majority of which have direct involvement or collaboration with Sony themselves. The are more VR games available on Steam that are not available on PSVR than that right now. Hell, there are more than 1300 software marked as Vive compatible on Steam right now, without factoring what Oculus brings. If we assume each of these has a demo listing alongside it, you'd still be looking at a ridiculous amount.

Now that the install base numbers are out, I think if you're making PSVR games and not at least trying to get a port happening; you're losing out. There's more headsets on the Sony platform than PC Vr headsets combined.

A port means you're doubling your chance to sell your game.

Synth

Now that the install base numbers are out, I think if you're making PSVR games and not at least trying to get a port happening; you're losing out. There's more headsets on the Sony platform than PC Vr headsets combined.

A port means you're doubling your chance to sell your game.

I agree in general, and I don't think it even required numbers to be out (the PSVR has been long assumed to be more mainstream friendly for obvious reasons). Whether or not a port is feasible still depends on a variety of factors though, with the limitations of the standard PS4 and the single camera tracking being the most obvious. The Wii initially selling more than the 360 and PS3 combined didn't mean that it made sense to attempt to port everything to it either (the PSVR obviously not being that extreme a case however). By similar logic, you could argue that any controller-friendly PSVR game is losing out if they don't strive to make a GearVR port happen, as it would theoretically more than quadruple your chance to sell your game.

As has been said before, performance is very important for PSVR, to the point where Sony will just not approve your game if it's not up to par. On PC the same dev can simply write better hardware in the "minimum specs" section.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Granzella keeps pushing back the Disaster Report 4 Plus VR Demo

Though I guess it wouldn't be a real DR game without a bunch of delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom