• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

iratA

Got my PSVR and holy cow! This thing is just nuts, Playroom VR, Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood and PSVR Worlds are just melting my brain (first time in VR). The more I play the content I'm craving.

Also hot tip for getting rid of some of the blurriness: Spend some time in the menu screen before playing and with the headset on adjust the front headband up and down, and sometimes with a slight twist. Adjusting it from where it sits on the front of your head. Works a treat.

anyway can't talk... I'm jacking back in!

Lukemon

That playroom demo, the single player plaforming one.

Wow.

Yeah, I loved it. The Playroom VR in general is excellent. Some really clever demonstrations of how social VR can work and creative use of the shared screen (display is different to what the headset user sees), plus some nice surprises...
like when I turned around after about half an hour of messing around in the capsule toy room and saw all those lil robot dudes just chilling behind me and cheering me on. Thanks, little guys!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Happy I held off on rigs. The demo is so dull. I also hate the aiming.

Job simulator was a riot. Kitchen wasn't scary if you're not scared by horror movies. My gf however flipped the fuck out lol.

Harmonix music vr thing was neat I guess. The painting was cool... What a rip off of media molecules tech demo a few years back though lol.

Drive club vr was ok, didn't get too nauseous, but if you move your head a lot it will leave you a bit wobbly.

Playroom vr is far and away the best vr thing I've played so far. That's pretty much all I've played so far. The amazing feeling is still there of how cool it actually is, but a bit weary about the actual content. Almost everything so far is a short experience type game, which is cool, but I don't think I'll really have much to dive into after I get tired of these, because rigs and DC are meh.

Peltz

Well my mind is completely blown. This is every bit as mind blowing as the first time I played Mario 64.

There is something very fatiguing about it though. I didn't notice it as I was playing - everything felt natural, but after taking off the headset I feel slightly light headed.

I really dig the platformer in Playroom VR. Makes me wish we got a full 3D Super Mario game on VR.

Happy I held off on rigs. The demo is so dull. I also hate the aiming.

Job simulator was a riot. Kitchen wasn't scary if you're not scared by horror movies. My gf however flipped the fuck out lol.

Harmonix music vr thing was neat I guess. The painting was cool... What a rip off of media molecules tech demo a few years back though lol.

Drive club vr was ok, didn't get too nauseous, but if you move your head a lot it will leave you a bit wobbly.

Playroom vr is far and away the best vr thing I've played so far. That's pretty much all I've played so far. The amazing feeling is still there of how cool it actually is, but a bit weary about the actual content. Almost everything so far is a short experience type game, which is cool, but I don't think I'll really have much to dive into after I get tired of these, because rigs and DC are meh.
I think Rez, Thumper and Summer Lesson are the longest games out right now. Those are what I'm counting on to tide me over until Farpoint and GTS comes out.

After I get to try some stuff I'll need add some funds for Wayward Sky.

Decided to jump on Loading Human. Will tell you guys how it is.

Awesome. Looking forward to hearing something about this. So interested in this game and The Assembly for something adventure in addition to Batman.

Maybe I'm confusing resolution and visual fidelity and I'm glad you gave it a shot. I like gear VR but the gameplay is lacking and things do appear pixelated. I watched a few movies with Samsung VR and the 360 degrees was great but it was overall a pretty blurry experience. I am well aware that the psvr resolution wouldn't be that of a 1080p tv. I'm also keeping my expectations in check. So it looks better with less resolution?

Yeah. It definitley looks much better than Gear VR.

One thing you need to note is that while Galaxy s7 edge has a higher resolution, it unfortunately is using a pentile screen. The PSVR is using a full RGB screen (offering more subpixels). (You can read more about it here: http://www.oled-info.com/pentile ). PSVR not using a pentile screen is really important because one of the biggest downsides of a pentile screen is you can notice the pixels more easily when you look at them closely (which is what you do when you strap a vr headset to your head).

The other reason might be that PSVR might be using better optics. Haven't looked into that yet.

Xenoblade

I hate to say it but I've been really disappointed by my PSVR experience.

I once thought VR was the future of games but now I don't believe that at all. I don't see this, or any VR, ever going mainstream. The problem is VR sickness. I have an iron stomach outside of VR, but inside I can't last 5 minutes with anything that has motion. And anything without motion is just, well, boring once the novelty wears off.

Gonna give it a few more weeks but not looking good from where I'm sitting.

King_Moc

Banned
Yeah, as an ex-Vive owner i'm very impressed with this. I've had no tracking issues with the headset and the screen quality seems at least on par with the Vive to me.

Rigs seems to have real potential. I've only done the tutorial and one offline match, but it controls so well and it's amazing how it can launch me all over the place and not make me feel ill.

Driveclub played very well, but it does make me feel a little funny at times (was using a wheel, not a pad). I did about 5 races though, so not too bad.

I've played a couple of games on VR Worlds - The Ocean Dive tech demo, and the surprisingly excellent Danger Ball. I really enjoyed that one. I tried the Headmaster demo afterwards, and that seemed really good too.

I thought Batman was a bit meh. It struggled a lot with the Move controls and the amount of content was not great for the price. It amounted to a few vaguely interactive scenes in a handful of locations.

I played the demo of Thumper and wasn't sure what the fuss was all about. It was pretty boring for much of it. Does it ramp up quite a bit?

Still need to play the rest of VR Worlds, Playroom, Until Dawn, Tumble and Rex.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think Rez, Thumper and Summer Lesson are the longest games out right now. Those are what I'm counting on to tide me over until Farpoint and GTS comes out.

Rez?! No way unless they altered the campaign that game is super short. Thumper is really amazing, unfortunately I already beat it but I'll likely try to s every thing. Summer lesson I have no interest in lol.

III-V

Unboxed launch bundle and set up. Started with VR playrooms. Excellent started stuff.

Image quality is adequate. The sense of immersion is quite good. SDE is present, but you don't see it all the time. Its as if when your eyes are focusing into the screen, you just don't see it.

I haven't played enough at all. Resolution isn't as bad as some people described. I guess its good to go in with low expectations, or maybe I grew up in the 80s and 90s lol.

Wife did the shark attack on ocean descent and thinks she might have nightmares.

Did not have jitter or tracking issue as described by some outlets. Did perceive a little sway when I intentionally focused on the controller when holding still. That is not going to bother me.

First Impressions: Better than advertised.

Holy shit, The Brookhaven Experiment is the Move killer app. It's so much fun!!! I literally just screamed twice in the span of 5 minutes when a zombie ambushed me from behind.

Peltz

I once thought VR was the future of games but now I don't believe that at all. I don't see this, or any VR, ever going mainstream. The problem is VR sickness. I have an iron stomach outside of VR, but inside I can't last 5 minutes with anything that has motion. And anything without motion is just, well, boring once the novelty wears off.

Not looking good imo.

I experienced no motion sickness... just a bit of fatigue after a while. But I was severely tired before getting my headset due to work.

I'm heading home from work and grabbed batman and plan on downloading Rez infinite,100ft robot golf,Super hyper cube,thumper is there any games anyone think is a must have?

I'm a little gun shy on eve Valkyrie being a full priced game

Played a good amount of the full game today, I don't think I will be buying it for myself even if it was cheaper. I absolutely love the flight controls and the experience but there just isn't really much else to it and feels very grindy very quickly. If you like the basic gameplay and really enjoy a multiplayer game that feels more like it is based around a free to play business model then you will probably love it. If the game was more like Rouge Squadron in terms of a campaign I'd have bought it immediately.

phant0m

While I continue to wait for my bundle, I'm going to head over to Best Buy and buy one game (only have VR Worlds).

What to get?

Dunno what's physical, but if I had only $60 to spend it would be $30 on Rez, $10 on gunjack and the remaining $20 on thumper or rush of blood

iratA

Yeah, as an ex-Vive owner i'm very impressed with this. I've had no tracking issues with the headset *snip*

Yep, just wanted to chime in for those still on the fence. I've had no tracking issues as well, and my family and I played it for 6+hours yesterday.

Not looking good imo.

So the problem that will prevent this from going mainstream is the one thing that can vary wildly from person to person?

Do you guys find it's sometimes not reverting back to PS4 settings for video and audio when turning off PS VR and exiting the game? Like it won't save stuff like 5.1 audio through my amp and continues outputting stereo or screen size settings default....you have to fo change it manually to what it was before?

Is the supplied cable with PS VR 4K and HDR compliant too?

Lukemon

Yeah, as an ex-Vive owner i'm very impressed with this. I've had no tracking issues with the headset and the screen quality seems at least on par with the Vive to me.

Rigs seems to have real potential. I've only done the tutorial and one offline match, but it controls so well and it's amazing how it can launch me all over the place and not make me feel ill.

Driveclub played very well, but it does make me feel a little funny at times (was using a wheel, not a pad). I did about 5 races though, so not too bad.

I've played a couple of games on VR Worlds - The Ocean Dive tech demo, and the surprisingly excellent Danger Ball. I really enjoyed that one. I tried the Headmaster demo afterwards, and that seemed really good too.

I thought Batman was a bit meh. It struggled a lot with the Move controls and the amount of content was not great for the price. It amounted to a few vaguely interactive scenes in a handful of locations.

I played the demo of Thumper and wasn't sure what the fuss was all about. It was pretty boring for much of it. Does it ramp up quite a bit?

Still need to play the rest of VR Worlds, Playroom, Until Dawn, Tumble and Rex.

You've pretty much seen the best of VR Worlds imo, although I did quite enjoy the Mockney daftness of The London Heist, even if it demands perfect camera placement to track reaching both low and high with Move controllers effectively. And yes, Thumper ramps up a HELL of a lot, to the degree that I'm scared to carry on playing - just finished the sixth level and it's getting quite silly now. In a good way, but damn, is it stressful.

Robso

Has anybody else found Rigs to be nauseous? I didn't even get into a match yet and it was making me feel unwell. Either way I controlled it made me feel weird.

Weirdly I played Danger Ball earlier and was moving my head around constantly and, whilst I only played it for a short while, I felt fine.

SOLDIER

Fiddling around with many PSVR, so far I haven't had any of GB's tracking/stuttering issues, but it's only been a couple minutes.

I just had a few technical questions if anyone could answer them:

1. When you turn off the VR box, does it reset your calibration settings?

2. What's the best way to shut off the VR? It seems when you turn off the VR box, it doesn't switch the PS4 display back to its default. I should just restart it/turn it off each time?

3. Is there a way to increase the volume? I've got the Gold Headset plugged to the audio output on the VR and hit the + sign all the way, but it sounds like a lower volume than when I'm using the headset wirelessly.

4. How do I switch from controller to Move?

5. How do I play the RE7 demo in VR? Will it just switch to that mode, or has it not been implemented?

Keep those impressions coming folks. I'd love deep gameplay impressions on RIGS & Battlezone, and also how do the graphics of Driveclub VR stack up to the console release? Why is it the reviews of this game are all over the place, but basically luke warm? Cheers

WoolyNinja

Played Battlezone and ooof did it make me ill. PSVR for me is like the GiantBomb stream. I'm sitting still and the tank is moving in and out, in and out, and I hold the controller up and in and out, in and out. Almost insta-bad feelings.

I'm pretty sad right now as when its on its f'ing amazing.

I'm in a pretty dark room with some overhead can lights dimmed all the way. I'm wondering if when I'm ready to try it again (really not feeling great right now) if its better to turn the lights all the way up? I was sitting about 5 - 6 ft away perfect centered but my head was probably a foot above the camera.

Robso

A bit of a newbie question but, is it normal that things should look a bit blurry and have jagged edges? Is this just a drawback to VR? Or am I doing something wrong?

KORNdoggy

Fiddling around with many PSVR, so far I haven't had any of GB's tracking/stuttering issues, but it's only been a couple minutes.

I just had a few technical questions if anyone could answer them:

1. When you turn off the VR box, does it reset your calibration settings?

2. What's the best way to shut off the VR? It seems when you turn off the VR box, it doesn't switch the PS4 display back to its default. I should just restart it/turn it off each time?

3. Is there a way to increase the volume? I've got the Gold Headset plugged to the audio output on the VR and hit the + sign all the way, but it sounds like a lower volume than when I'm using the headset wirelessly.

4. How do I switch from controller to Move?

5. How do I play the RE7 demo in VR? Will it just switch to that mode, or has it not been implemented?

I think the valume for headset can be increased via both the headset and the in-line controls of the VR.

To turn off, just press the power button on the in-line VR controls. You need to close the VR application to return to standard PS4 res UI.

No VR in resi 7 demo yet as far as i'm aware.

Not sure about the rest.

0racle

Played Battlezone and ooof did it make me ill. PSVR for me is like the GiantBomb stream. I'm sitting still and the tank is moving in and out, in and out, and I hold the controller up and in and out, in and out. Almost insta-bad feelings.

I'm pretty sad right now as when its on its f'ing amazing.

I'm in a pretty dark room with some overhead can lights dimmed all the way. I'm wondering if when I'm ready to try it again (really not feeling great right now) if its better to turn the lights all the way up? I was sitting about 5 - 6 ft away perfect centered but my head was probably a foot above the camera.

It got me I'll too, that is why I passed on PSVR. I need to try it a few more times.

robotrock

Banned
A bit of a newbie question but, is it normal that things should look a bit blurry and have jagged edges? Is this just a drawback to VR? Or am I doing something wrong?

Normal. You try focusing it more by moving the headset up/down on your face and adjusting the scope, but the headset is always gonna be a bit blurry with some jagged edges.

How are we supposed to keep these lenses prestine?! My OCD and them never being perfectly spot free is becoming unhealthy.

Some tips:

• A combo of a camera "air blowing" bulb (from a kit like this) and microfiber cloth is good for day-to-day de-dusting. Wipe from the center of the lens to the outside, never in a circle.
  • Every now and then, use one of these lens wipes. Rifts say to not use cleaning fluids, but we used them for months on Vive devkits without issues and I use them on my rift every now and then.

But the best advice is that, like a new car, you just have to get over them being pristine at some point. I babyed the heck out of my DK2 and haven't baby'd other headsets and see no visible difference. I think you'll be fine for years as long as you don't create some huge huge scratch somehow.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, my copies of EVE: Valkyrie and Driveclub showed up today. Sadly my PSVR isn't expected to get here until Monday :*(

Chopper

I am having so much fucking fun with this.

Tumble has really taken me by surprise. I'm a little bit mystified by some of the medals I'm missing, but the mechanics are almost flawless. It's the perfect breather between bouts of Rez and Thumper, both of which are an absolute assault on the senses, which is exactly what I want from VR. The third Rez boss just kicked my ass though.

There's so much content available that I feel as though I've barely scratched the surface with what I have available. Between the US demo offerings, Playroom, the free "experiences" and the various games I've purchased, I am absolutely swimming in stuff to play.

I have to say though, the biggest "HOLY SHIT" moment for me today has been Batman. Playing that game whilst standing up, using the Move controllers for hands, grabbing stuff from your Utility Belt and interacting with the scenery just by reaching out and grabbing it. It's absolutely flawless, and looks incredible. I think alot of people have been put off by the reported short length of the game, but it is absolutely stacked with ingenious VR awesomeness and is THE showpiece software that I will be sure to thrust under every guest I have in my house over the coming months. I was laughing my ass off whilst playing through it, which is something I haven't done in a very long time.

Taker666

Annoyingly, I've been having the same controller drift issues as Giant Bomb... the controllers sort of moving forward and back on screen even when I'm holding them still. Certainly a pain for Tumble. I'll mess around with it tomorrow to see if I can improve things.

The headset itself is fine (although the back of it seems to like slipping up my head ..perhaps due to me having long hair). Resolution could certainly be better and the blacks darker..but I have to say that outside of controller tracking issues, it's my first wow moment in a long time.

The sense of actually being there in some games is incredible (Rush Blood and London Heist really impressed me in that regard).

Happy PSVR launch everybody :)

I'm feeling stoked, because we got our little game in at practically the 11th hour in time for launch. Woke up this morning to see it featured in the "PSVR compatible" area in the north American PSN store, and that was just cool, and some new 'media vouchers' in ouir mailbox.

So, to celebrate, I'm handing out these vouchers here. Quote this post to reveal. Each code will grant you a copy of the game's complete bundle. There are codes for North America and Europe, and I think they are all for the bundle.

post the number of the code you grab. and if you have time in the deluge of games to give it a try, let us know if you dig it :)
also, NeoGAF references ahoy

Looks like I missed out. :( I was in VR the entire night, so didn't pay any attention to GAF.

I have to say though, the biggest "HOLY SHIT" moment for me today has been Batman. Playing that game whilst standing up, using the Move controllers for hands, grabbing stuff from your Utility Belt and interacting with the scenery just by reaching out and grabbing it. It's absolutely flawless, and looks incredible. I think alot of people have been put off by the reported short length of the game, but it is absolutely stacked with ingenious VR awesomeness and is THE showpiece software that I will be sure to thrust under every guest I have in my house over the coming months. I was laughing my ass off whilst playing through it, which is something I haven't done in a very long time.

I can't wait to get into this.

Lukemon

Keep those impressions coming folks. I'd love deep gameplay impressions on RIGS & Battlezone, and also how do the graphics of Driveclub VR stack up to the console release? Why is it the reviews of this game are all over the place, but basically luke warm? Cheers

RIGS
* Best VR comfort options of any PSVR game so far - controls/FOV/eject sequence and so on can all be altered to fit your needs.
* Three modes are basically TDM, 3-on-3 football and... well, Powerslam is hard to describe. You need to hit Overdrive (three kills or six pickup collections, or a combination thereof) then jump through the goal in the middle of the map to score. Different tactics to each, meaning different mechs required.
* Loads of different mechs, each with different loadouts and passive abilities - leech health after a kill, run interference on enemy radar, heal nearby allies, explode on death, rear shield, stealth and so on. Each of those perks has one of each mech 'form' - nippy little squishy thing, tanky thing with a ground pound, all-rounder-thing and hover thing. I feel like I may be missing one...
* Head control seems to be the play - it's quick and easy to aim (with most weapons) and looking around for opponents is only necessary (well, teammate callout would work too, I guess) if the other team has a jammer as the radar pings all nearby.
* Lots of downtime (match analysis, results, reports, etc.) but I feel it was seen as needed to provide breaks in the action, which is extremely intense.
* Reminds me a fair bit of Rocket League - simple in theory but with loads of hidden depth and tactics.
* AI is decent, at least once you sack off the idiots you start with and hire people who are actually good. Seems to be tied to both fame level and mechs owned, so buying complementary mechs to those you like seems to be the play to build a decent team early-ish.
* Riding the platform up into the arena at the start of a match is still one of the best experiences in PSVR for me and even after 30-odd matches, it still doesn't get old.
* Commentary is a little too generic to capture the big name player focus of pro sports and loses a little as a result. It's still cool but it doesn't make you feel like a legend like that intro sequence does.

Summary: it's really damn good. Hope that helps, holla if you want to know anything specific - played RIGS more than any of the others in the last week so fairly clued up. Only played Battlezone briefly and wasn't that taken with it. Driveclub IQ is pretty bad but the game and experience are both really good if you can look past that.

Zutroy

Played with mine for a few hours throughout the day. Really love it! I've not actually bought any full games for it yet, just tried out the demos, but I'm glad I did because it's helped me make my decision. Never had any issues with tracking except for with Tumble. It was fine during the first level but then the starting going a bit wonky on the second.

Ocean Descent was the first I tried and it blew my mind. Just had a huge grin on my face the whole way down.

Job Simulator is amazing, the humour is great and it will be one of the games I get.

Wayward Sky demo I thought was also done brilliantly, the way it switches between point and click and FPS action. Anyone know the actual game length before I buy it?

Allumette also blew my mind. The music, the art - maybe one of the most exciting experiences I've had with technology. I was just kinda watching as the ship was heading in front of you, then I was like "I wonder if I can look in from the top". Was so impressed I could see the inside of the ship from the top. Then I was like "I wonder what happens if I stick my head in the ship", and I started laughing with excitement as I could look around all over the inside!

In terms of the graphics, if they're stylised properly the resolution isn't too much of an issue. Yet it's noticeably on the low side, and you can see how it's only going to improve the experience as it gets higher, but I've no regret being a first iteration buyer and only seeing how VR improves over the year.

Also two of my non-gaming friends tried it out and both loved it too!

From Summer Lesson OT

Just had my first 7 day run and holy crap this game is a prelude of dangerous things to come. Nuances in character animation are amazing and It's the little things that convey a sense of presence and immersion.
I can only imagine when one day we finally have VR with ridiculous resolutions, dpi and complete FOV coverage

Robso

Normal. You try focusing it more by moving the headset up/down on your face and adjusting the scope, but the headset is always gonna be a bit blurry with some jagged edges.

Thanks for the response. It was a bit of a disappointment in London Heist with faces from a distance being somewhat blurred. Still loved what I played of it so far, mind.

Wipe from the center of the lens to the outside, never in a circle.

I've made a huge mistake (only twice can't be that bad won't do it again). Cleaned them like I would my glasses which I might have been doing wrong for years now?

But the best advice is that, like a new car, you just have to get over them being pristine at some point. I babyed the heck out of my DK2 and haven't baby'd other headsets and see no visible difference. I think you'll be fine for years as long as you don't create some huge huge scratch somehow.

Awesome. I'm anal about this type of stuff, so it's good to know I don't need to be extra careful. Grabbing a case tomorrow at Best Buy to store it in to cut down on dust anyway. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom