• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

I have to admit, it was way more intense than I thought it was going to be. My heart was pumping like it hasn't in a long time. Shit straight up shock me.

Some of the older stuff was really fucked up, like the Dreadeye demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4GZLzR83H8

There's really very little thought given to stress levels or player trust / expectation management in most "horror" experiences in VR right now. Even stuff like Rush of Blood - which I think theme-wise leans more into camp - wields jump scares like a cudgel. Stuff that is fun to watch someone else get fucked up by but pretty shitty to actually experience in VR. Some of the DK2 stuff was particularly bad about that and were basically just stress simulators where they could be summarized into "walk forward to increase stress" without any value unless you had a YouTube channel to upload to.

It's worrying to me because horror really does have fantastic promise in VR, but I think expectations are being spectacularly mismanaged in this particular genre and it will be to the genre's detriment in the long run.

dubq

There seems to be a weird "film" when there's nothing on the screen (all black). Is that normal or is there something wrong with mine? Tried to clean the lens with the microfiber but didn't change it.
It's normal. All OLED screens have some form of that effect going on.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Wow... In all my years gaming, this might be coolest and most surreal thing I have ever tried. I'm in love. ( first time VR user)

This is just based off playing demos. I can't wait to try more.

wow

DirtyLarry

Please, anyone. Can anyone suggest what I can possibly fucking do to get rid of the janking to the left of the tracking? I just spent the last 3 hours trying every position I can put the camera. I sat both close and far. Nothing got rid of it. Nothing.

Here is a picture of my setup.
http://i.picpar.com/PScc.jpg
PScc.jpg

I had all lights off when playing. I also tried some low light (this picture was taken with all 3 lamps on and my I bumped up the light so shit could be seen. It was not bright at all when I tried setup. Already nighttime as well.

I tried every position as I said.

The red square is where my camera currently is. The purple square is where I also tried it.
At various angles in each position. At various lenghts.

Forget trying to sit on my couch (behind the chair to the left), that was obviously way too far. I tried moving the chair closer and that also did not work.

I also tried moving the camera to the edge of my entertainment center and flush with the TV in the back. Did not matter.

I also ran the advanced calibration several times where you hold the headset and controller up. I could not help but notice when I did that I had to move up several feet to align it. Is it I am too far? I read the ideal length from the camera was 6 feet give or take, so I broke out the tape measure and that is 6 feet from the camera where the chair is in this picture.

I also read the ideal height for the camera should be 4 foot 2 inches but that would be a little about half way on my TV screen so that is not doable.

Seriously I am close to giving up. I feel like I have tried everything. I had Oculus up and running in 10 fucking minutes. I spent 3 hours on this and still no luck.

The only game I could play without the shifting and jankiness was Thumper.

Please Gaf. Help. You are at this point in time my only hope.

EDIT - Also does anyone know how to run the first time setup again?

So my biggest wow has come from Robot Rescue in Playroom VR; are there anymore games like this one?

I'm in love with my purchase thus far! I actually spent a long time today playing Doom in cinematic mode (still trying to platinum it though I have to redo the campaign because of Dead Mans Stalking glitch). I think I love cinematic mode, it really makes me feel like I am playing a game in a theater, makes it that much more epic. Going to play a little Witcher next.

Have to say I am enjoying 3rd person much more than first person, the same reasons I like the 3ds (actual) 3D games.. it's like I am playing in an interactive diorama.

Briarios

Please, anyone. Can anyone suggest what I can possibly fucking do to get rid of the janking to the left of the tracking? I just spent the last 3 hours trying every position I can put the camera. I sat both close and far. Nothing got rid of it. Nothing.

PScc.jpg

I had all lights off when playing. I also tried some low light (this picture was taken with all 3 lamps on and my I bumped up the light so shit could be seen. It was not bright at all when I tried setup. Already nighttime as well.

The red square is where my camera currently is. The purple square is where I also tried it.

Forget trying to sit on my couch (behind the chair to the left), that was obviously way too far. I tried moving the chair closer and that also did not work.

I also tried moving the camera to the edge of my entertainment center and flush with the TV in the back. Did not matter.

I also ran the advanced calibration several times where you hold the headset and controller up. I could not help but notice when I did that I had to move up several feet to align it. Is it I am too far? I read the ideal length from the camera was 6 feet give or take, so I broke out the tape measure and that is 6 feet from the camera where the chair is in this picture.

I also read the ideal height for the camera should be 4 foot 2 inches but that would be a little about half way on my TV screen so that is not doable.

Seriously I am close to giving up. I feel like I have tried everything. I had Oculus up and running in 10 fucking minutes. I spent 3 hours on this and still no luck.

I'm just gonna guess you went into settings and did the calibration, like it suggests here: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5731qk/psa_use_the_calibration_options_within_the_ps4/

But, look around behind you -- see if there is any glass or mirrors that could be reflecting the headset or another light source. I had that problem when I first set up my camera.

robotrock

Banned
is anyone else worried there going to break this big dumb thing when they adjust it? or that they're adjusting it wrong?

the build quality seems good, it's just that the agreement process (how you push the button.. then pull back, i don't know where to pull from.. all while worrying about the cord) makes it feel more fragile than i think it is.

I pull it back while holding that rubber cup thing that presses against your forehead. Agreed though, that headband has a lot of resistance.

BriGuy

The platforming game in Playroom VR really goes to show that VR does not need to focus on the first person perspective to be good.

I actually think it's the best demo of VR tech that I've played so far.

It's amazing how that game feels. Like you're Lakitu in SM64.
Agreed. It's my favorite demo so far. It's a shame it's just a single level because I would totally be done for a full game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Are the demos on a disc or PSN?

I already have move controllers so I ordered the base model and new camera. If that matters.

PScc.jpg

EDIT - Also does anyone know how to run the first time setup again?

Maybe try it with all lights on and see if it helps? Just a guess.

Are the demos on a disc or PSN?

I already have move controllers so I ordered the base model and new camera. If that matters.

There's a demo disc that comes with every headset, but the demo disc as a whole is also available to download from PSN directly. You could download it and have it installed before your headset even shows up.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There's a demo disc that comes with every headset, but the demo disc as a whole is also available to download from PSN directly. You could download it and have it installed before your headset even shows up.
Thanks!

is anyone else worried there going to break this big dumb thing when they adjust it? or that they're adjusting it wrong?

the build quality seems good, it's just that the agreement process (how you push the button.. then pull back, i don't know where to pull from.. all while worrying about the cord) makes it feel more fragile than i think it is.

FmgWWk6.gif

PrinceKee

Just finished playing for about an hour and a half and right now my first impressions are...

That it works. It didn't take long to hookup the camera and VR and I didn't need the instructions. It did take me a few mins to get figure out how to get the VR picture clear with my glasses on. If I put the back of the headset under the base of my head then it was blurry so I just rested the back strap on the hook of my head and it seemed to fit me better with no light coming in from the bottom. Also my glasses seem to rub up against the lens of the VR and smears it.

I only bought Until Dawn and got VR worlds coming from GameFly so I popped in the demo disc first. The first game I played was the London heist shooting gallery from VR worlds and as a light gun game fan I loved it. You really can't aim, but the tracking was pretty good so I was hitting what I pointed my guns at. The graphics are decent and I playing with the move controllers and popping clips into your gun was cool. Next I played job simulator and even with the cartoony graphics you feel like you're there and it was fun just to mess around in the world picking up stuff, pushing buttons, and throwing stuff. After that quick experience I played Driveclub VR and oh boy. I was hesitant to get the PlayStation VR after hurry how blurry it was for some people. When I tell you that Driveclub VR is a blurry mess believe me. It looks like worse than a first gen PS3 game to me real talk. The graphics are such a downgrade from the original Driveclub and it gives you no immersion because of that. I barely made it through the demo race because it was just so bad and I just wasn't having fun. Very disappointing and this was a game I almost bought so I'm glad I held off. After that disappointment I played the Playroom VR platforms demo and I really enjoyed that and would love to see more platformers like that. Next was the Rigs demo which is a game I really wanted, but held off on and I'm kind of glad after first impressions. You really feel like you're in a mech and from the games I played it was the game were it looked the sharpest. Gameplay wise I couldn't get use to using my head to aim. It just feels weird and will be something that takes me a while to get used to. Gameplay felt good and it was fun and I can see it being even more fun playing online with friends.

Last I popped in Until Dawn and played that. The game is really fun and the tracking and move controllers worked perfect for me. I played through 3 levels and had no issues. The graphics are just okay, but the sound in the game with the headphones is impressive. I'm a weirdo and don't get scared from movies or haunted houses so I was hoping this game could give me some jump scares, but nope. My wife says I'm a psychopath and I'm not scared of anything.

I will say that the blurriness of the display did stick out to me immediately while my wife didn't notice it or mention it. But, maybe because she's not as tech savvy as me or a real gamer. The headset works and I experienced no issues with shifting or any tracking issues. I did notice the screen door effect in until dawn VR a little. One thing I was disappointed with is the feeling that some people describe while playing VR like driving a car or going down the rollercoaster. I didn't feel anything going up or down the rollercoaster in until dawn or playing Driveclub. It's like my brain knows okay this isn't real even though my eyes are telling me I'm there. But, I also didn't get any motion sickness with any game I played while my wife felt a little sick after the Descent demo. Overall my first impressions with playable VR is that it's cool, but for me I feel like I won't get that full VR immersion for whatever reason. Besides Driveclub VR I did have fun with every game I tried and it's a cool new way to play games. I old school and love lightgun games so I really enjoyed the London heist demo and Until Dawn. I can't wait to play more, but right now for me I don't know if it's worth the price. But, I still need to experience more games...

I feel the same way, especially because all the playstation headphones crack eventually.

They should have made it not auto retract after pulling it apart and yeah, I have no idea where to pull from.

OMG the most real thing I've seen in VR is Batman. All the objects you pick up and hold up to your face, they look like REAL OBJECTS. Like real real. Holy crap. So impressed.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah drifting and tracking has definitely been present on mine, but not horribly. Luckily as it turns out I do great with VR in terms of motion sickness, haven't had any issues with that at all. The move controllers however are a different story. I was pleasantly surprised at first in rush of blood and job simulator... but after a little bit of playing it was all out of wack unfortunately. Makes me hope sony makes better hand controllers.

So I just used it for the first time.

I'm in the OS and it feels like the screen in front of me is always slightly turned to the right. Like I need to turn my body to it. It's not directly in front of me and I feel like I'm in higher seating of a movie theater looking down. My camera is set up perfectly.

Loving VR so far but a bit disappointed that rigs makes me sick. Woke up today and played about an hour solid of eve and had no issues. Popped in Rigs, got as far as first target practice before I started getting hot flushes and then had to run and throw my guts up. I hadn't even made it to the section where u move your mech around.

Until Dawn is fine for me also tho, played a fair bit of it last night with zero issues.

I wonder what it is about Rigs that sets me off.

robotrock

Banned
So I just used it for the first time.

I'm in the OS and it feels like the screen in front of me is always slightly turned to the right. Like I need to turn my body to it. It's not directly in front of me. My camera is set up perfectly.

hold down the options button for a couple of seconds to recalibrate it. The OS/cinematic view doesn't use the camera tracking.

Spman2099

I should thank everyone here. I think I would have been disappointed by the blurriness if I hadn't prepared myself for it. However, it is super manageable. Moreover, VR is amazing. Like... amazing. I don't think this is "the future of gaming" but I will be seriously disappointed if it doesn't carve out a very healthy niche. So very, very cool.

Well got mine all set up and ran a few games, here's my impressions (this is my first VR device).

At first it seemed a little off, like my brain had to adjust to what was going on (I don't know why, but it brought the Morpheus line "this will feel a little weird" to my mind). But after about 3-5min from initial launch I was full on in those worlds.

The screen door effect is definitely there, and absolutely noticeable. It also didn't detract from the experience at all to my mind. I could see it for sure, it just didn't matter. It's so fine it's almost more like a slight mist than a screen door.

My number one concern was drift. So before I started anything up I made sure to run the advanced calibration. I've seen it a bit, a very very slight pulsing. I didn't notice it at all until I started running games that required the move controllers. It's really not bad at all though. I will say a noticeable exception occurred at one point. During a certain speech in the london heist the world started pulsing intensely. I mean really intensely. For whatever reason during that one scene it was like the world had a heartbeat. It didn't bother me at all in terms of queasiness, and it went away after about 2 minutes. It never came back for the remainder of the time I played and was no big deal at all.

Those are the negatives, and they were my big concerns. The positives outweigh them by a mile. I am blown away by VR. I know I'm late to the party on it, but goddamn I'm left impressed. The London Heist was amazing, the few experience type demos like the deep sea stuff were really really cool, and I'm loving RIGS so far. The graphics are somewhat low res as many have said, and it doesn't make any difference to me. This is immersion.

I'm very happy with the purchase, and can't wait to jump back in - great stuff. Batman next!

Futaba

Been tasked with buying one for work, and can i find one here in japan that is RRP and not a scalpers special? like hell i can.

every single yodobashi, bic, yamada denki and geo in the entire prefecture seems to be sold out.

yyr

I thought it was, over 9000 people canceled preorders!

I do know of two. One cancelled because they feared they'd use it for a week and then it'd become a dust collector; the other cancelled because they didn't want to spend the money for both PSVR and PS4 Pro. (It really is a shame that both are coming out so close to each other. Seriously, whose decision was that?!)

As someone who has enjoyed video games for almost his entire 36-year life, but also someone who's skeptical about the 2016 VR headsets' chances of commercial success, it is lovely to read about the very positive experiences folks have had on day one. It definitely seems like most of you have had a great time with it, which means the word of mouth should be positive, which is one critical thing this platform needs.

Another critical need is for developers to deliver a continuous stream of quality software. Day one impressions aren't going to tell us whether that will happen, but they *can* help drive sales numbers, which can help convince devs to work towards that delivery.

Who knows? I didn't think this had a chance long-term, but I don't mind being wrong.

DirtyLarry

I'm just gonna guess you went into settings and did the calibration, like it suggests here: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5731qk/psa_use_the_calibration_options_within_the_ps4/

But, look around behind you -- see if there is any glass or mirrors that could be reflecting the headset or another light source. I had that problem when I first set up my camera.
Affirmative with the calibration. Wound up doing it multiple times over the course of the 3 hours whenever I changed the camera position. Like I said I could not help but notice every-time I did it, I had to move up way closer than I was actually sitting to get the lights on the headset to align in their spots, so that made me say well maybe I just need to be way closer. Moving closer did not fix anything.

When I say I tried every position I could, both myself and my camera, I really was not exeggerating. 3 hours and if I had to try and put a number to everything, I tried 15 different camera and seated positions. And not just move real quick and try them either. I gave each some time.

I also read the thing about reflective surfaces behind you. There is nothing. I do have a painting on the wall but it is just straight canvas, no class or anything, and it is very matte, so I cannot see that being the cause of things.

I did read something about other bluetooth devices potentially being an issue and I will be honest there I did not disable anything. So I will try that as well to see.

Maybe try it with all lights on and see if it helps? Just a guess.
I did try it with two lamps on, but not all of them. To be honest I am just spent tonight and it is my bedtime, so I will wait until tomorrow. Which means the room will be naturally lit by the daylight. So perhaps that is it? Even though that kind of seems odd no? They make a point of saying make sure your room is dark, etc., so if it is somehow I needed more light, that would be real counterintuitive.

Honestly if that does not work I may just suck up the restocking fee at Amazon for whatever it is that they charge for an open item and/or try and sell it to someone here at a used price. Seeing so many people post without issues made me think it was going to work on my end no problems. So just so utterly and absolutely defeated right now.

Thanks for the replies, and if anyone else has any additional ideas, please share them. I truly am open to anything and everything to try and get it properly working.

Not had many problems with the screen "drifting" other than when just using the PS4 menu...but holding down option soon fixes that. But it doesn't seem to track the controller very well? What I mean is, it soon starts to look at though you are holding the controller skew whiff.

Again, holding down option centres it, but it drifts again really quickly. Anyone else getting this? I've reluctantly turned the brightness of the light bar back up, but it hasn't made a massive difference. Thanks.

Is there a reason that my screen (both in VR and outside) go blurry after a while?

Was playing Thumper (fantastic btw) and came out of it with blurred screens...

Seth

had my first adverse reaction to VR.

Been playing on and off all day, going through the demo disc, playing 2-3 at a time before taking a break. I get about to the end of the disc, start rigs play for not even 2 minutes and start feeling very sick. So I stopped playing it, took a good hour and a half before i even started to feel alright again. I surprised how quickly it hit honestly.

I don't know if it was Rigs that caused a problem or if all the time throughout the day finally caught up to me.

had my first adverse reaction to VR.

Been playing on and off all day, going through the demo disc, playing 2-3 at a time before taking a break. I get about to the end of the disc, start rigs play for not even 2 minutes and start feeling very sick. So I stopped playing it, took a good hour and a half before i even started to feel alright again. I surprised how quickly it hit honestly.

I don't know if it was Rigs that caused a problem or if all the time throughout the day finally caught up to me.

Rigs did the same to me after playing eve for over an hour straight with no issues.

phant0m

I also had drift to the left. Like after 30 minutes of playing I was legit turned almost 90 degrees to the left. Fuck knows how it was still tracking me.

Tried various setups and games, some did and other didn't. Rez and Until Dawn were pretty bad. And when I held Options to re-center it wouldn't actually do it the way it does on the menu.

No issues with Thumper and Gunjack though....hopefully this is just a software issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom