• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Got my launch bundle hooked up and man I'm impressed.

My only complaint is the cable. It's super annoying.

VR is for real though. This shit is awesome.

so besides Rez which I guess doesn't show off the VR very well, what's the first thing i should load up next as an introduction? i have the demo disc and VR Worlds.. probably gonna buy thumper.

I'm charging up the move controllers now.

Nags

Banned
The platforming game in Playroom VR really goes to show that VR does not need to focus on the first person perspective to be good.

I actually think it's the best demo of VR tech that I've played so far.

It's amazing how that game feels. Like you're Lakitu in SM64.

This is why there needs to be a VR Mario game. Seriously, it feels so damn good. They need to make a full game of that with the robots. Give him a blaster upgrade and make it a cross between Mario and Megaman.

Tobor

so besides Rez which I guess doesn't show off the VR very well, what's the first thing i should load up next as an introduction? i have the demo disc and VR Worlds.. probably gonna buy thumper.

London Heist! I just finished it and it's a great experience that shows off the move controllers well.

FHIZ

Fucking Thumper, holy shit.

I was drooling at one point.

Other than that, I do have the swimmy issue Giant Bomb had in their first stream. Did advanced calibration, no overhead lights, all that. No go. Whenever I look at my hands in Job Simulator or another game, always just swimming around a bit. Good thing is that I don't get motion sickness or anything so it doesn't really bother me, but if anyone's figured anything out that could help, I'm all ears.

Also, disappointed that the gold headset doesn't fit at all over this thing.

Burglekutt

I just played the demo for Thumper earlier today and it was an amazing experience. If youre looking for an introduction, the shark attack demo from vr worlds is a good one. IT allows you to just look around and soak it all in.

Wallach

I'd say try out the ocean and heist segments of VR Worlds. Is Batman on the demo disc? That would be a good first time kind of deal. Headmaster might be worth checking out as well.

After that I'd move into some of the other demos to start moving up the intensity scale to see where you are in terms of sensitivity. Probably with the Battlezone and RIGS demos; stuff with artificial locomotion but with more design considerations to mitigate some of the disruption. Valkyrie and Driveclub will be on the upper end of that scale after that.

dubq

I've never tried VR before and I know this is a mid level experience, but holy fuck this is wild! Playing Eve Valkyrie and looking down to see the pilots body in place of my own was kind of mind blowing. Also, I didn't get sick playing Eve or Driveclub, so hooray for that!

bodine1231

Played about the first 20 minutes of RIGS and it fucked me up pretty good. My heads swimming right now. I didn't play far enough in to adjust any options besides head control though so maybe there is a setting that'll improve it for me. (played the Battlezone demo and felt fine)

The Kitchen demo was scary as shit, but I was super disappointed that's all it was. I wanted to get an idea of how RE7 would play in the sense of movement and all, but that's basically just a cutscene.

I still almost pissed myself, though. I don't even know if I wanna try Here They Lie after that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you have the "old" PS4 camera (pre-VR bundle) is there any benefit to replacing it with the one in the bundle box?

is anyone else worried there going to break this big dumb thing when they adjust it? or that they're adjusting it wrong?

the build quality seems good, it's just that the adjustment process (how you push the button.. then pull back, i don't know where to pull from.. all while worrying about the cord) makes it feel more fragile than i think it is.

Wilde

Anyone else have issues starting Playroom VR?

I'm literally stuck right after it has you position the controller in the setup, and unable to start the actual game. It wants you to swipe up on the touch pad, but nothing I do is working. My touch pad works and I've tried two different controllers.

Am I missing something here?

Lukemon

If you have VR Worlds then that, or maybe The Playroom (although that's largely multiplayer-focused, if that makes a difference - the platform mini-game is soloable, though). Depending on your VR experience, Ocean Descent in VR Worlds is probably the best starting point as it has no interaction, making it a great introduction to the VR feel.

dochuge

Ok so I took the plunge and I'm a believer. It's really good. Two issues: it says my camera colors are inverted and I can't get the move controllers to work. It says who is using the move controllers and I pop up along with some random person but it seems that I can't get past this screen and keep coming back to it. It says to hit x to continue but pressing that on the move controller does nothing.

Wallach

The Kitchen demo was scary as shit, but I was super disappointed that's all it was. I wanted to get an idea of how RE7 would play in the sense of movement and all, but that's basically just a cutscene.

I still almost pissed myself, though. I don't even know if I wanna try Here They Lie after that.

I know I've beat on this drum for a while, but I honestly think the entire horror genre needs a shift to really excel in VR. The kind of stuff that gets made for normal displays just has their stress levels magnified way too much. People think they will enjoy that shit but I promise you the fatigue will win out if they don't start thinking about doing horror design ground up for VR specifically. Like I don't think people are going to enjoy RE7 in VR (even if it didn't give anyone simsickness from the movement), and in particular I expect a large percentage of people who start it in VR will finish it on a television.

Found one at a local store in Redmond, Washington at the heart of the Microshaft core.
14694775_125167607155owl6w.jpg

oimori

DriveClub VR demo with steering wheel was super exiting experience. I laughed when I felt a wind by accelerating. handling was super intuitive except DriveClub-ish physics.
GT sports hype also increases!

Krejlooc

Banned
Ok so I took the plunge and I'm a believer. It's really good. Two issues: it says my camera colors are inverted and I can't get the move controllers to work. It says who is using the move controllers and I pop up along with some random person but it seems that I can't get past this screen and keep coming back to it. It says to hit x to continue but pressing that on the move controller does nothing.

Do you understand how what I was saying about resolution being just one of many factors to determine the overall image quality?

akileese

Played about the first 20 minutes of RIGS and it fucked me up pretty good. My heads swimming right now. I didn't play far enough in to adjust any options besides head control though so maybe there is a setting that'll improve it for me. (played the Battlezone demo and felt fine)

Once headtracking movement and jumping unlocked I felt REALLY uneasy. I pushed through it though and I got used to it. Sadly it crashed for me and I took it as a sign to stop. I feel like this is really going to be the big game for PSVR. It just controls so smoothly with headtracking. It's exactly what I imagined a fast paced VR action game feeling like.

dochuge

Do you understand how what I was saying about resolution being just one of many factors to determine the overall image quality?

Absolutely. It really is better than I expected it to be. Took a while to find the sweet spot on where to wear the thing so that it was as clear as possible.

I know I've beat on this drum for a while, but I honestly think the entire horror genre needs a shift to really excel in VR. The kind of stuff that gets made for normal displays just has their stress levels magnified way too much. People think they will enjoy that shit but I promise you the fatigue will win out if they don't start thinking about doing horror design ground up for VR specifically. Like I don't think people are going to enjoy RE7 in VR (even if it didn't give anyone simsickness from the movement), and in particular I expect a large percentage of people who start it in VR will finish it on a television.

I have to admit, it was way more intense than I thought it was going to be. My heart was pumping like it hasn't in a long time. Shit straight up shock me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I have one coming, but does vanilla PS4 get the job done? I mean is it better to wait a few weeks for PSPro? Is there any significant benefit to wait?

Tagg9

Any other glasses wearers having problems avoiding light bleed? There's always a good half inch of space at the bottom of my face where the light comes in and breaks the immersion.

akileese

One thing I have noticed is that I get inconsistent performance with my glasses. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes I have to constantly fiddle with it. I think when I get home from work tomorrow night I'm going to throw in my contacts and try that out.

Wilde

For the new page:

I'm literally stuck right after it has you position the controller in the setup, and unable to start the actual game. It wants you to swipe up on the touch pad, but nothing I do is working. My touch pad works and I've tried two different controllers.

Shoeless

If you have the "old" PS4 camera (pre-VR bundle) is there any benefit to replacing it with the one in the bundle box?

Depending on your plan for positioning the camera, the new camera may have better mounting options. Otherwise, they seem identical spec-wise.

Smidget

There seems to be a weird "film" when there's nothing on the screen (all black). Is that normal or is there something wrong with mine? Tried to clean the lens with the microfiber but didn't change it.

panda-zebra

Midnight, played a lot of tumble, about to go to bed but thought I'd give driveclub a quick go.

First few hills felt a bit weird but that soon went, along with 3 hours of my life. It might not look as amazing as the original game but it looks good enough, especially in motion. And not a single sign of any sickness, such a relief - I actually felt more iffy being pulled along slowly in that playroom platformer. Wanted to keep playing but have to be up in a couple of hours.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but does it matter whether you use the Move controllers right out of the box or is it better for the longevity of the battery to charge them fully first?

Lukemon

For the new page:

Playroom has crashed on me twice, both times seemingly from using the PS button to try and multitask while launching/loading. The swipe part has always worked for me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom