• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Holy fuck.

Guys - I had an Oculus Dev Kit One and I've played with the Vive at the MS Store. In comparison to the Vive, for example, the PSVR is kinda crappy - horrible resolution, iffy motion controls, and no room scale.

Meh.

Don't get me wrong - it's fun. And an awesome gimmick to show people; but nothing really was BLOWING MY MIND.

... until I played that Kitchen demo. I don't care for Resident Evil, and haven't followed 7 at all. But in three minutes, the game just became my most hyped game after Breath of the Wild. Seriously, that was insane.

BadHand

I just placed my move controller on the imaginary table on the tumble demo. It fell to the floor. I don't know what I was thinking.

I didn't preorder & wasn't planning to pick one up, then a couple weeks ago my son asked if he could get one for his birthday coming up just a few days after launch so that put me on the hunt for a launch bundle. I went to Target this morning & waited for 30 minutes before they opened (first person there) only to find out they had no units available. So then I waited for Best Buy to open (second person there) & was able to score a launch bundle plus Batman & a PSN gift card to get a few digital games. I actually spotted the launch bundle on Amazon while I was waiting for Best Buy to open so I placed an order, then cancelled it after securing my in-store purchase. It was a fun chase, something I haven't done since waiting in a pre-dawn line for hours to get a PS2. Now I'm just bummed I have to wait until my boy's birthday to get a chance to try it out, but it's fun to savor these new hardware launches!

This is my first VR experience, here are my thoughts after playing the Playroom platformer and the Shark encounter: the tech works, even though I know it's fake I still tried to avoid the Shark in real life. Graphics are better than expected (Wii-like). No idea how people can play long sessions, I felt dizzy after 30 mins. I think its cool for a quick 'arcade' like experience but I'll need a barf bag if I have to play a game for an hour or longer. I removed the headset 20mins ago and my stomach still feels queasy.

farisr

Wow there's protective plastic on the lenses and I didn't even notice.

Big image
xeGdsTe.jpg
Wait, what...!? Is that the reason why there was a heavy chromatic aberration effect going on that I didn't see at all when I tried it out at the store. Is the image actually going to be clearer than what I saw for the 90 minutes I played it? Shit, I can't test it out, no longer have my friend's ps4.

JayBabay

Why can't I play the Bound or Superhypercube demos? X doesn't do anything.

Did you let it update it before opening the "Demos" game? It may be one of the ones that needs a download before you can play and you haven't finished updating to unlock the network features such as those.

Went through the VR demo disc
Block stacking.. Cool will probably buy.
Battle zone.. Cool, like it.

driveclub VR created the start of some nausea,, the elevation change in the road was the trigger, it got worse at the end of the race when they had me standing behind the barrier the world didn't move the way it should when I moved my head. I think it is a driveclub VR bug. Reset didn't fix it.
And why are the default engine sounds so weak? you are in a Ferrari it should be screaming in the cockpit! I didn't mind the resolution tbh and it's cool to sit in the car.

Then I tried rigs.. and that finished me off. Disorientation, from looking out the side window in the cockpit, not realising, and now I am lying on the ccouch to recover. :(

That's the thing with VR one just ONE bout of sickness with a title and you don't want to go near that game ever again.

Did you let it update it before opening the "Demos" game? It may be one of the ones that needs a download before you can play and you haven't finished updating to unlock the network features such as those.
Yeah it's fully downloaded. Should I pop in the disc instead of using the digital version?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Holy mother of Batman. Wow. These graphics are insane. The immersion. The 3d effect. The intense opening. Wowow

JayBabay

Yeah it's fully downloaded. Should I pop in the disc instead of using the digital version?

It's worth a shot I'd say, if you are certain that they are demos. Only played at a friends house so I can't confirm if they are available or just ad's as a previous poster mentioned. However the word demo is in the title so I don't see why they wouldn't be playable.

Teknoman

I just placed my move controller on the imaginary table on the tumble demo. It fell to the floor. I don't know what I was thinking.

Lol so I'm not the only one. Even almost happened in job sim.

How do you know if you fighting bots or not in EVE: Valkyrie?

Briarios

I don't know if this has been covered, but I've seen some posts about light leaking at the bottom ... Well, this just happened to me, and for a bit I was really frustrated - I kept adjusting the visor and couldn't fix it.

It wasn't the visor - it was the back strap, it was seated too low on my head. I pushed the strap up a bit and the visor rested properly. If you're having a problem, trying reseating the back instead of the front.

Flunkie

Banned
Wait, what...!? Is that the reason why there was a heavy chromatic aberration effect going on that I didn't see at all when I tried it out at the store. Is the image actually going to be clearer than what I saw for the 90 minutes I played it? Shit, I can't test it out, no longer have my friend's ps4.

no, the weird chromatic aberration thing is something that's definitely there without the protective film

ElyrionX

For those who have experience with VR on the PC:

I have tried a few VR games on the PC before and the only one that gave me a bit of motion sickness was Lucky's Tale with the Vive. My head was spinning but I could power through it and play it for a good 10-15 mins.

Will I be able to play RIGS or Drive Club on PSVR without getting motion sick?

JayBabay

For those who have experience with VR on the PC:

I have tried a few VR games on the PC before and the only one that gave me a bit of motion sickness was Lucky's Tale with thd Vive. My head was spinning but I could power through it and play it for a good 10-15 mins.

Will I be able to play RIGS or Drive Club on PSVR without getting motion sick?

Nothing on the Rift gave me any form of sickness whatsoever, but the games that had drops in the terrain like Driveclub VR did but it wasn't unplayable.

kaiyo

Omg, i didn't notice it either, played an hr today.

.. just went and checked there was no plastic film on my headset...?

tr00per

So I gave my GS order to my dad at a discount as a Christmas present and hooked it up for him. Finally able to try it out for myself at home.

My god it was magical. It's just like I thought it would be owning my own vr headset. I didn't want to go back to the real world. Every time you speak of VR you want to use hyperbole but it really does feel warranted. The entire time was laughter and inarticulate sentence fragments for lack of words.

Spent a couple of hours with the Playroom while the demo disc updated (8gb). I would recommend this to anyone! It should probably be your first thing that you try I really think asymmetrical games and playing with altered sense of scale/proprioception is where VRs killer apps will lie . All of the games are great. It's amazing how the ps4 do so much at once and look really good at the same time. The only one that confused me was the cat game. It seems impossible for tv players to win?

cinematic mode is really amazing. I am totally content with the picture quality. Large is definitely too big. Maybe for movies, that's about it. I would be pretty happy with my purchase just for this feature honestly.

I also watched the first couple of minutes of invasion which was a real treat. Full vr movies are going to be amazing.

No tracking issues to report
, other than having to reset the ds4 and headset after they were set down/picked up (by holding OPTIONS). I did the full calibration in the settings menu before playing anything I didn't get to try any move stuff yet but I know from trying it before it will increase immersion tenfold.

Freefall in Vrideo tried to do barrel rolls with the camera so avoid that video at all costs. As far as I can tell, those are all 360 non stereoscopic videos.

The 3D audio really helps the immersion. It really seals the deal

Getting mine on Wednesday with vr worlds and rigs. Cannot wait!

For anyone who hasn't, you have to try it! Game changing for sure. Borderline religious experience. I'm glad I got to share this moment with the person who got me into video games. Please don't let this thing fade. Bring on the games!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How do you enable cinematic mode?

Can you do any game in the mode? Can you watch Netflix on it?

Drive Club was awesome until I started get nauseous only after 30 seconds of driving. Feel like I'm still close to barfing. Haven't felt like that since getting spun around on a tire swing as a kid.

That's the low resolution! That's precisely what I've been talking about since the DK1! I experienced that way back in the day with iRacing. Racing games simply weren't viable with my DK2, and I've been saying for so long that they'd have a similar problem on PSVR.

How exactly does the low resolution lead to issues with racing?

Luckily, I'm not feeling any ill effects yet. But did have some issues with DK2.

Krejlooc

Banned
How exactly does the low resolution lead to issues with racing?

Resolution is just one of many factors that determines your VR experience. In terms of real-world tangible limits resolution imposes on VR development, you're looking at effective viewing distance. The higher the resolution of the screen inside the VR headset, the further into the distance you can resolve. This is because, at a certain distance, you become constrained by the physical size of the pixels on the screen. Higher resolution = smaller pixels = more resolvable detail further into the picture.

Which is precisely why he is saying:

the low detail makes it difficult to pinpoint upcoming turns. I look out pretty far.

farisr

I know I should be glad I got the chance to even test out my headset despite not having a PS4 of my own right now, but man, this just makes the wait till Nov 10th even worse.

Teknoman

Holy fuck.

Guys - I had an Oculus Dev Kit One and I've played with the Vive at the MS Store. In comparison to the Vive, for example, the PSVR is kinda crappy - horrible resolution, iffy motion controls, and no room scale.

Meh.

Don't get me wrong - it's fun. And an awesome gimmick to show people; but nothing really was BLOWING MY MIND.

... until I played that Kitchen demo. I don't care for Resident Evil, and haven't followed 7 at all. But in three minutes, the game just became my most hyped game after Breath of the Wild. Seriously, that was insane.

Yeah that had me freaked out, especially how close the knife was...pushed some serious self preservation buttons. If RE7 can keep that pace up the majority of the game...wow.

I just thought of an awesome gag. Minor spoiler ahead for the Playroom VR...
At the end of the Playroom VR minigame where you rescue the robots your camera takes a picture of you sitting with the headset on & you see yourself in VR.

My idea is that when my wife plays this and gets to this part
I'm going to secretly stand behind her in the scariest Halloween costume/mask I can find.

I'm gonna get divorced, lol.

tr00per

Protip: if things seem blurry, enter the main menu (Ps button) with the headset already set up on your head. Then grab just the front part (with the screen and LEDs) and move it around gently. This helps the focus a lot. I always found that I had to push it down a little but everyone's head is different. There's a sample text image in the psvr settings section of the menu but I find the main menu gives you more of a reference to make adjustments.

And if you haven't, make sure you do all the full calibrations (ipd distance, etc)

Also if your nose sweats easily (like me) leave a little gap between your face and the display (push the button under the front part)

I just thought of an awesome gag. Minor spoiler ahead for the Playroom VR...
At the end of the Playroom VR minigame where you rescue the robots your camera takes a picture of you sitting with the headset on & you see yourself in VR.

My idea is that when my wife plays this and gets to this part
I'm going to secretly stand behind her in the scariest Halloween costume/mask I can find.

I'm gonna get divorced, lol.

That is an amazing idea.

I might have to steal this with my wife...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom