• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just played Rez, Thumper and Driveclub demos, and man this thing is sick! I had high expectations for Rez and it did not disappoint. Finished the demo and bought immediately. Thumper is the real deal too.

Driveclub looks like a PS2 game and made me a little uneasy. Looking at the stationary car and sitting in cockpit are awesome though.

Onto PS Worlds next! Sony did a fantastic job with the launch line up and demos too, so much to play!

I just thought of an awesome gag. Minor spoiler ahead for the Playroom VR...
At the end of the Playroom VR minigame where you rescue the robots your camera takes a picture of you sitting with the headset on & you see yourself in VR.

My idea is that when my wife plays this and gets to this part
I'm going to secretly stand behind her in the scariest Halloween costume/mask I can find.

I'm gonna get divorced, lol.

Lawyer up, hit the gym, etc afterwards.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I just played over an hour and didn't really get motion sickness, but definitely got tired. Really cool experience so far! Batman VR was super cool. Also, did not notice that there was film over the two lenses until like 45 minutes. That helped a ton!

Paradox96

Neo Member
Just finish playing Loading Human for an hour or so. VR games that require you to walk is proving to be difficult to me. It's the only thing that becomes consistent with my motion sickness. Had the same issue with "Here They Lie" but no problem with Until Dawn Rush of Blood.

So far Loading Human is intriguing. Apparently you are going to space to find a magical energy source, or so you father in a cryonic capsule says. The story kinda reminded me of the new movie with Jennifer Lawrence "Passengers" or something like that because you're going to spend 2 years in space with no one but an engineer called Alice. The way you interact with objects is pretty funny. I got to shave my beard for the first time! There were moments I got lost in which and didn't quite understand what to do or where to go. Although, it kinda made me wander around interacting with other objects which can pretty much be everything you see in game: from bottles of liquor to lab equipment.

I think Loading Human is a great exploration VR game to start out with. Even though so far I've seen very mundane objectives like mixing red and blue herbs for tea, the game puts you in the VR mindset.

Thank goodness it's a episodic game. Helps me slowly developed my VR legs.

Just played Rez, Thumper and Driveclub demos, and man this thing is sick! I had high expectations for Rez and it did not disappoint. Finished the demo and bought immediately. Thumper is the real deal too.

Driveclub looks like a PS2 game and made me a little uneasy. Looking at the stationary car and sitting in cockpit are awesome though.

Onto PS Worlds next! Sony did a fantastic job with the launch line up and demos too, so much to play!

Yeah, exactly. I got into the car and was looking around and said, "Hey this is awesome!". I drove around for a bit (about 30 seconds to a minute) and felt sick. I stopped playing at still feel ill. Eve surprisingly didn't make me feel that way,

Krejlooc

Banned
Just finish playing Loading Human for an hour or so. VR games that require you to walk is proving to be difficult to me. It's the only thing that becomes consistent with my motion sickness. Had the same issue with "Here They Lie" but no problem with Until Dawn Rush of Blood.

So far Loading Human is intriguing. Apparently you are going to space to find a magical energy source, or so you father in a cryonic capsule says. The story kinda reminded me of the new movie with Jennifer Lawrence "Passengers" or something like that because you're going to spend 2 years in space with no one but an engineer called Alice. The way you interact with objects is pretty funny. I got to shave my beard for the first time! There were moments I got lost in which and didn't quite understand what to do or where to go. Although, it kinda made me wander around interacting with other objects which can pretty much be everything you see in game: from bottles of liquor to lab equipment.

I think Loading Human is a great exploration VR game to start out with. Even though so far I've seen very mundane objectives like mixing red and blue herbs for tea, the game puts you in the VR mindset.

Thank goodness it's a episodic game. Helps me slowly developed my VR legs.

Try Batman.

Soi-Fong

So... I've got impressions for Loading Human. In one sentence... I freaking love it!! I've played only about maybe an hour or so of the game, but that's just with me picking up everything and exploring every nook and cranny.

Now, the game takes some getting used to. I'm playing with two move controllers and they add a TON to the experience. It just grounds you more. The game in many ways is kinda junky like the movement takes getting used to, but once you get used to the game's mechanics, it really becomes something else entirely. You start focusing on the world building and the story and at least in my case it pulled me in pretty quickly. You having a physical body with tracked hands WITH inverse kinematics really grounds you as a character in this game. I love what the developers have done with the game.

Now, graphically, it's not the best and it's jagged city galore, but at least in my case I forgot about it real quickly. This is a game where I can see the devs tried to incorporate as much of VR's strengths as possible. It's not perfect, but I really did felt like a part of the world.

Now even with all that I've said, I would say that some folks might not be able to deal with the weird control system especially in regards to movement. There's no teleportation system here so you do move forwards and backwards. Surprisingly enough, I didn't get sick at all and I'm really prone to it especially with games that are in first person and you're moving. I think the reason is that actual turning with this game is done by literally pointing your move controllers left or right and then pressing a button and you turn in 15-20 degree increments. It sounds janky and it kind of is, but it helps a lot with preventing motion sickness and I applaud the developers for having it this way. It sounds weird, but it works at least for me.

Once you get used to the control system, the game takes a life of its own. Like I said I've only played maybe an hour, but I'm really hoping that the game does good enough to get a chapter 2.

Belfast

Well, first purchased game besides Worlds (it being in the bundle) goes to Thumper. Good god, it's crazy how when you distill an experience down to its component parts, it can work so much better than games with 50x its budget. Props to Drool for putting out a highly-responsive rhythm game with a cool, bizarre atmosphere that just, I don't know, rattles your bones. The dark music makes every level feel like a boss battle.

Though, I'll admit, I'd probably even play a normal, happy rhythm game with a full 50-song pop/rock soundtrack like this.

Nags

Banned
Just played the first 3 levels of Until Dawn Rush of Blood with no drifting issues. This time my room was completely dark. Going to try it like this for Battle Zone and Tumble. My apartment has a living room and kitchen combo so I'm thinking I was getting a lot of back reflective surfaces from my fridge and the walls.

Chris_C

Any Vive and Rift owners noticing the scale in PSVR is off and unconvincing by comparison? Lets say Vive and Rift look 100% to real life scale, PSVR looks more like 75%, slightly miniaturized. Measuring IPD in settings doesn't seem to change much, and I thought you were supposed to be able to exact IPD values in manually? Also it seems you can see the lenses warping the world like a wave near your periphery, especially noticeable looking at the ground in PSVR Worlds or the Heist. Chromatic aberrations are also much worse and the display quality/calibration (colors and white balance particularly) look pretty inaccurate and quite different from Vive/Rift.

It's funny you mention that. I feel that things are about 15-20% too big!

Flandy

RIGS Demo
Really disoriented me the first go around. Like I wasn't sick or anything but the first time I went into it I just wasn't used to the movement/aiming at all and it was really uncomfortable.

However I tried it again two more times and holy shit was it amazing. Once I understood the basics of the game I was completely sold on it. I encourage everyone to try it again if your first run or two didn't go well. Once you understand how to play it becomes really fun.

Eve Valkyrie
Tried playing it but I kept getting disconnected from CCP's servers so i didn't get to play for more than a few minutes

DriveClub VR Demo
Have only played the demo so far but I think i'm in love with VR racing. Felt slightly uncomfortable when I first started but that went away pretty quickly. The graphics are for sure downgraded from the original game but I honestly don't care that much. It's so immersive once I'm actually playing that I don't mind I'm gonna buy the full game for $20 and hope that I don't get sick like others

VR Worlds Demo.
Pretty disappointed that they only had a shooting range for London Heist and not the car chase that I played at gamestop :\

Thumper Demo
Might be the most intense video game experience I've ever had and that was just the demo

Harmonix Music VR Demo
I really enjoyed the 3D painting. I'd buy this if it were $5 but I can't justify $15. From what I've seen the game is pretty thin on content

Kitchen Demo
RE7 hype is high now

PlayRoom VR
Wow what a surprise the 3D Platformer turned out to be. I always knew that not all VR had to be in first person but I never really I guess believed it until I played this. I would go out and buy this right now if it were one of the launch games

Allumette
Free 20 minute short
Pretty impressive and has me excited to see whats in store for non gaming content in VRs future. I recommend everyone give this a shot.

Cinema Mode
It's a cool extra feature but I don't see myself using it much for games. Maybe I'll use it for 2D Pixel art games since the loss of detail likely won't be as apparent there. Undecided with TV/Movies. Could possibly come in handy for that but I have too little experience using it to watch stuff to properly judge it at the moment

Holy shit, The Brookhaven Experiment is the Move killer app. It's so much fun!!! I literally just screamed twice in the span of 5 minutes when a zombie ambushed me from behind.

Niice. I'm trying to decide between this and Until Dawn. Leaning towards Brookhaven but I'm unsure. How's it compare to Until Dawn or London Heist?

farisr

Well, first purchased game besides Worlds (it being in the bundle) goes to Thumper. Good god, it's crazy how when you distill an experience down to its component parts, it can work so much better than games with 50x its budget. Props to Drool for putting out a highly-responsive rhythm game with a cool, bizarre atmosphere that just, I don't know, rattles your bones. The dark music makes every level feel like a boss battle.

Though, I'll admit, I'd probably even play a normal, happy rhythm game with a full 50-song pop/rock soundtrack like this.
Yeah, funny thing, I literally just purchased Thumper right now as well, and it's my first purchased game aside from Worlds being part of the bundle. Honestly, this is the type of game which I either wouldn't get or I'd go, "gonna wait till it's $10 or less" but in VR the experience just gets amplified so much more, had me in awe. One of the best looking games currently on PSVR imo. Can't wait to see how it turns out on the Pro.

Edit: also, having a demo helped. Just looking at videos for it, I felt it was going to be too intense and not fun for me. But seeingthis dude play the demo, and then eventually trying the demo myself, changed all that.

KalBalboa

Banned
My current VR library:
  • Tumble VR
  • Job Simulator
  • Super Stardust Ultra VR
  • Rez Infinite
  • Playroom VR

Returning DriveClub after playing the demo a few times. Holding off on Worlds and Superhypercube until either are on sale.

n0razi

I really wish the front of the headset swiveled up like a welding mask. Its still kind of a pain to quickly put on and off and PSVR lacks a passthrough camera like GearVR or Vive

D23

Well that's enough vr for the night. I think I played for about 4 hours ish. Highlight of the game by far is Thumper.

My eyes feels a little strain now that's why I have to stop playing

Belfast

Yeah, funny thing, I literally just purchased Thumper right now as well, and it's my first purchased game aside from Worlds being part of the bundle. Honestly, this is the type of game which I either wouldn't get or I'd go, "gonna wait till it's $10 or less" but in VR the experience just gets amplified so much more, had me in awe. One of the best looking games currently on PSVR imo. Can't wait to see how it turns out on the Pro.

Edit: also, having a demo helped. Just looking at videos for it, I felt it was going to be too intense and not fun for me. But seeingthis dude play the demo, and then eventually trying the demo myself, changed all that.

Yep. That helped a lot. And this game has had almost no reports of sickness even with the sensory overload. Providing a consistent focal point that doesn't really move helps a ton.

Teknoman

Well I'm liking EVE and Rez. Thinking about buying rigs and job sim. Has anyone played online VR mp yet? I did one EVE game but not sure if they were bots or not.

I was playing batman wrong. I was sitting down with a controller. I switched to the move and stood up. Gamechanger. I nearly fell over when a certain character jumped at me.

EBreda

I canceled my Amazon preorder after the PS pro release date announcement, but im glad most people are having a good time with it.

I'm only worried about my own tendency to get motion sick. I could not play Wolf New Order or Blood Ties, and seriously, reading about the dizziness caused by Driveclub VR to the Gamesradar crew made me sort of nauseated. I'm not kidding BTW, I actually got kinda sick for a good half an hour just from imagining other people getting sick playing DCVR.

Anyway, Rez and Thumper seem to be the games to buy upfront. I'll wait for impressions of how the Pro improves VR before committing, but I'll probably try it sooner or later.

Keep having fun everyone!

This thing is pretty awesome so far. Played most of the demos on the demo disc and a bit of vr worlds. Tomorrow will decide what games I actually pick up. But I do have a question...

Can you not use the gold headset wirelessly with this thing? I hooked it up with the 3.5mm cable and I'm only getting sound out of one side.

crimilde

Banned
I love reading all these first impressions!
Mine will be arriving on Wednesday because Amazon fumbled a bit with the delivery, but seeing everyone in this thread so positive is making me feel very excited. Like a child waiting for Christmas morning haha.

Nags

Banned

I watched this stream yesterday too and it also sold me on Thumper. Totally worth it.

Teknoman

Buy Rigs!!

Most likely will. Is there a way to arrange custom games in rigs or EVE since we have a psvr community already?

I am Batman now.

Someone is going to blow VR all the way open if they do a true AAA game. The immersion totally trumps the fidelity. Feels like a world of new possibilities.

I'm hoping RE7 pulls that off, but I suppose you mean a AAA VR exclusive. Honestly just more really good substantial experiences would do the trick.

Dante

Impressions for this are much stronger then I anticipated. I'm on the fence between this and a Vive. The Vive seems more powerful, but the software line up seems more compelling on PSVR. Can anybody with both make a recommendation? Argh.

Belfast

Impressions for this are much stronger then I anticipated. I'm on the fence between this and a Vive. The Vive seems more powerful, but the software line up seems more compelling on PSVR. Can anybody with both make a recommendation? Argh.

If PSVR sells well, count on more PC ports if the devs can manage to adapt their games.

Pure room-scale games and likely those requiring true 1:1 accuracy for aiming down sights probably won't, though.

I pretty much cried after playing my first VR game today. Do not regret the $650 I dropped down today. Rigs is awesome, DC is awesome, batman is awesome, Until Dawn is awesome.... Everything I played today was awesome.

KalBalboa

Banned

I've used the Vive a bunch at work and a full day into my PSVR:

• Vive is absolutely a better performer if you have a PC that can run it
  • The PSVR is more comfortable
  • Playroom VR and the social screen aspect make it for me
  • $400 PSVR versus $800 Vive have me inclined to wait on Vive 2.0

The PSVR is simply a much lower risk and works great enough for the sake of jumping into VR while the PC's ecosystem improves or, at the very least, Vive goes down in price.

Folks with PSVR that are experiencing motion sickness/nausea symptoms: have you guys tried using a pair of Sea-Band wrist bands before playing? There's a reviewer on Amazon saying it helped a lot with his Oculus Rift experience.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
dont get you hopes up to high for sportsbar.

Its not that great imo.
i played online yesterday and was not the host and the lag made most games useless. Darts is sloppy even in single player..
i dunno.

Dante

I've used the Vive a bunch at work and a full day into my PSVR:

• Vive is absolutely a better performer if you have a PC that can run it
  • The PSVR is more comfortable
  • Playroom VR and the social screen aspect make it for me
  • $400 PSVR versus $800 Vive have me inclined to wait on Vive 2.0

The PSVR is simply a much lower risk and works great enough for the sake of jumping into VR while the PC's ecosystem improves or, at the very least, Vive goes down in price.

Great feedback, thanks!

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
one thing i think sony could do easily and would improve the experience and clumsyness of use alot is to have a function that blends your controllers into whatever is currently on screen so you can find them more easy. They are tracked anyway and it should be doable.
That would make it a lot more comfortable to find your moves or pads and you wouldnt have to remember where you left it.

I hope more people are playing Bound in VR....... just awesome and magical, looks fantastic. I hope they are able to make photo mode work in VR instead of throwing you to 2d......

I'd also like the option to fly my perspective around at this point instead of the teleporting movement perspective.

So I just used it for the first time.

I'm in the OS and it feels like the screen in front of me is always slightly turned to the right. Like I need to turn my body to it. It's not directly in front of me and I feel like I'm in higher seating of a movie theater looking down. My camera is set up perfectly.

The camera is not used for cinematic mode.
It relies purely on the gyroscopes of the headset. So if you move a lot, the screen will drift off.

I did some tests yesterday and as long as I kept my head perfectly still there was no screendrift. Just look at any corner for a couple of seconds and return to center and the screen had drifted from position.

I'm guessing the issue will be less apparent with the small screensize as you don't have to move your head so much to see the edges of the screen.

So, told myself that I'd start the day at Best Buy before running a few work related errands and would grab a PSVR if it looked easy (no line-up). Showed up around 5 minutes before opening and a few folks were parked in their cars but no one was waiting in line at the door. Waltzed in a few minutes later and was the first to ask for one - grabbed a core unit along with Driveclub VR. A few other guys came in after me looking for bundle units and they had plenty. A very easy purchase which made my work day very long and distracted.

After taking a while to set up I dove into the demo disc and was immediately impressed with how well it works. I tried a couple of demos but was chomping at the bit to try the Driveclub VR demo - I had been reading the middling impressions the full game throughout the day but was still impressed with the immersion. As the only fully-featured game that I'm interested in I'm looking forward to putting more time into the full title now. I have a Pro pre-ordered and am hoping that it gets a resolution bump but I'm satisfied that I'll enjoy it in it's current state.

One more thing - Batman Arkham VR is one of the most memorable moments in all of my years of playing games. On the same level as Mario 64 and Halo CE for me in giving that feeling of awe that I almost gave up on ever experiencing in gaming again. Rocksteady are wizards and Sony should be riding them to create an exclusive full-game for PSVR - it would revolutionize gaming IMO.

I haven't got a PSVR but my friend just got one and is having the issue described here:

http://vrtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?4894-PS-VR-and-Samsung-tv-resolution-issue

Basically as soon as the VR headset is turned on, the resolution of the TV drops from 1080p to a really low resolution that he describes as "looking worse than Wii games displayed on a 4K TV".

Anyone come across the issue?

Not sure of the exact model but he has a 60" 4K Samsung 2016 model TV.

The VR short movie app is AWESOME! Watched the three on the demo disc twice after I realized you could turn around 360 at any time to look at everything.

I was an idiot and loaded the Driveclub VR demo first so I could decide if I wanted to return the retail game. Made me a little woozy (the particle effects in particular are odd) but started very slow and progressively got faster. For the purposes of "driving around these tracks and sitting in these cars" it'll be fine. I don't care that it looks like a late PS2 game. It seems smooth and immersive anyway. Racing games will get better over time.

Thumper is intense! Instant purchase after the demo. It's absolutely perfect for VR.

Rigs is a little too fast and twitchy for me, and I was a little uncomfortable so I didn't feel like trying a second demo game. Look-to-aim is neat, though. Will probably try again at some point. Kudos to Sony for the fantastic demo disc. My only complaints are on the tech end where I know future hardware will easy issues like resolution blur and framerates. For a thing I could just plug into my home console I'm extremely satisfied after an evening.

Grinchy

Banned
I hope more people are playing Bound in VR....... just awesome and magical, looks fantastic. I hope they are able to make photo mode work in VR instead of throwing you to 2d......

I'd also like the option to fly my perspective around at this point instead of the teleporting movement perspective.

I only got to see a little bit of that on the Giant Bomb stream earlier. They were having to hit a button over and over to move the camera in on them as they moved around. Is that the only way to play it in VR? It seemed so strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom