• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypah

Are there any online social apps yet for PSVR? IE virtual chat rooms etc sorta like Oculus has?

Not yet. Sportsbar will have a nice social element though. If Sony is smart (and they usually are) there will be a social hub like Home at some point.

Lucky's tale struck me as much more a Crash / Banjo ripoff. It's indeed good but I'm not going to be buying in to Oculus.

I actually liked the layout of the playroom platformer a little better. It made me look around and really explore in 360 degrees a bit more. Some of that design is really clever.

Playroom Plaformer is very much like Lucky's Tale. It's not a cash grab. Great game.

I'm happy that Playroom platformer is getting people interested in the idea of more 3rd person VR games. There seems to be this misconception that you can't bring anything new to 3rd person with VR.

seb

Banned
Did anyone find a resolution to this? The only option on the Superhypercube portion of the "demo" disc is to buy the game. Really wanted to give it a shot prior to pulling the trigger on it.
You can download the super hypercube demo from the store though. In EU you can at least.
Anybody has anything to say on The Assembly? I'm intrigued by the screenshots.

Thewonandonly

Some of the older stuff was really fucked up, like the Dreadeye demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4GZLzR83H8

There's really very little thought given to stress levels or player trust / expectation management in most "horror" experiences in VR right now. Even stuff like Rush of Blood - which I think theme-wise leans more into camp - wields jump scares like a cudgel. Stuff that is fun to watch someone else get fucked up by but pretty shitty to actually experience in VR. Some of the DK2 stuff was particularly bad about that and were basically just stress simulators where they could be summarized into "walk forward to increase stress" without any value unless you had a YouTube channel to upload to.

It's worrying to me because horror really does have fantastic promise in VR, but I think expectations are being spectacularly mismanaged in this particular genre and it will be to the genre's detriment in the long run.
That's why I feel the kitchen is well done. Their really isn't a jump scare in it its just more unsettling. The way she just stares right into your face it what really got me. Can't wait until RE7 :)

Anybody else experiencing weird "residual VR after effects" after prolonged VR sessions?

I'm noticing that my eyes feel a little bit "off," as if they're not quite focusing on things the same way they did before a one hour or more VR session. I'm also getting a weird sensation of "detachment" from the world, as if I'm not quite all there. It's nothing that's actually impacting my ability to work or do things in the real world, but at the same time, it makes the real world feel less real, if that makes any sense.

Yep. It happens once in a blue moon for me, but it does happen the more immersed you are in a game. It will only get worse as the graphical fidelity increases in VR.

Taker34

Banned
Where was that in the box..?
That is a good question. I took the plastic off my lens but it left smudges in the glass(sticky smudge from plastic).. I'm afraid to use any type of cleaning product on the glass and cause permanent smudging or smearing. Any thoughts anyone?

How are you guys cleaning the lens?

It was in the box, somewhere between the manuals and stuff.
imagegzok4.jpg

Absolutely love this.
I got batman, until dawn and Vr worlds, thumper, bound and the upgrades for hustle kings and super star dust.

What else do people recommend?

Zalusithix

What also weiried is when both vive and occulus was released is all the complaints about lense and screen quality. Yet most no one except the people that that have all three are complaining about PSvR. I guess you guys would be the ones to know.

Expectations were set by the PCVR folks explaining to anybody that would listen that current gen VR sets have resolution and optical issues. PSVR owners aren't complaining as much because they knew this going in. It's all about managing expectations. If you don't go in expecting crystal clear image quality, you don't complain when you don't get it.

cilonen

That is a good question. I took the plastic off my lens but it left smudges in the glass(sticky smudge from plastic).. I'm afraid to use any type of cleaning product on the glass and cause permanent smudging or smearing. Any thoughts anyone?

As mentioned before I use a microfibre. If there's gunk on there I'm not to sure though. I do have some Eclipse lens cleaner (just a weak IPA in water solution) for camera lenses round here but there's no way I'd be soaking the lenses with it in case it works itself into the housing. Just moisten a microfibepre with it and work away gently.

Having said that I'm not sure what material the lenses are alcohol based cleaners should be OK on plastics but acetone based ones will definitely not be - they'll fog and etch plastics.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone tell me, without spoiling it, if the Kitchen demo is the same thing as the Resident Evil 7 demo that was available for a while now?

jaypah

Lucky's tale struck me as much more a Crash / Banjo ripoff. It's indeed good but I'm not going to be buying in to Oculus.

I actually liked the layout of the playroom platformer a little better. It made me look around and really explore in 360 degrees a bit more. Some of that design is really clever.

I could have sworn that you had to do quite a bit of looking around in Lucky's Tale to collect everything? I haven't played it in a while though. I happened to get it for free because I already had an account because of my DK2 but it works fine in my Vive.

Apples_89

You can download the super hypercube demo from the store though. In EU you can at least.
Anybody has anything to say on The Assembly? I'm intrigued by the screenshots.

Not showing up here on the Canadian PSN. Also, just looking under the description of the demo disc on PSN and Superhypercube is omitted…very odd.

Only managed to get on playroom vr and driveclub, was having too much fun to try the rest!

My hmd has the plastic on the lenses, weird that some didn't. Think i ran across some gaffers in DC, didn't have the mic connected or i'd have said hi. :)

Brief dinner break then back to try some more. :)

Oddly one of the most powerful things I've experienced was simply going to the Batcomputer and turning on the eye tracking thing on the Batman model and then moving around.

Its really creepy and kind of intimidating lol. I seriously felt a little uneasy having him stare at me like that.

Wit til you unlock the joker model! Putting him in eye tracking mode was so unsettling...

cilonen

I could have sworn that you had to do quite a bit of looking around in Lucky's Tale to collect everything? I haven't played it in a while though. I happened to get it for free because I already had an account because of my DK2 but it works fine in my Vive.

Ah, maybe so - I was mostly in the part where you keep finding yourself in underground areas. The looking around throwing bombs at targets was cool though. Perhaps I didn't play enough of it!

bumpkin

I was able to snag a Core package at lunch time over at Best Buy. They had one Core left (excluding mine) and the employee said they actually had a Launch bundle left over when they opened today. The only game I grabbed with it was Batman: Arkham VR because who doesn't want to be Batman?

For those who have played the stuff on the demo disc, what is in the PSVR Worlds one? Is it the ocean descent?

jaypah

Ah, maybe so - I was mostly in the part where you keep finding yourself in underground areas. The looking around throwing bombs at targets was cool though. Perhaps I didn't play enough of it!

Yeah it gets better but I never got around to finishing it all either lol. Maybe Sony will think about fleshing theirs out into a full game. I've heard nothing but positive impressions about it.

Chorazin

From what I saw, I think the Kitchen demo has lots of potential to be expanded for first time viewers (be it friends, family, girlfriend/boyfriend, etc..), while the knowledgeable PSVR owner is the curator of that “perfect” experience.

Basically, before placing a headset, one should handcuff a person (you can get those pretty cheaply for a dollar or two), just to get that feeling what the game is about and drive home the overall idea of being handcuffed. It builds anticipation and further enhances the experience. So you start the game and let it go on for the player, but when the girl stabs the player in the leg. The person outside PSVR should sync a hit with a pointy object on the leg. There will probably be some wtf moments, you apologize laugh, hug, promise never to do it again, that it was one time onlys, etc.. and continue on… But when the hands come out from the back and touch the player’s face, the person outside also does the same. His/her hands should maybe also be watered a bit just to enhance the slimy experience.

That’s the real haptic VR. Can’t wait to get one and replicate these and further ideas on people. :D

Holy fuck you're insane. I'd never talk the anyone again who pulled some shit like that on me.

Peltz

Anybody else experiencing weird "residual VR after effects" after prolonged VR sessions?

I'm noticing that my eyes feel a little bit "off," as if they're not quite focusing on things the same way they did before a one hour or more VR session. I'm also getting a weird sensation of "detachment" from the world, as if I'm not quite all there. It's nothing that's actually impacting my ability to work or do things in the real world, but at the same time, it makes the real world feel less real, if that makes any sense.
I feel the detachment thing. The real world feels less real. Not sure how else to describe it either.

It's very odd but feels pretty harmless too.

FHIZ

Has anyone tried to play Non-VR games on the headset like Bloodborne , Witcher etc.?

Is it even possible?
Yes, it looks like you're looking at a huge screen, but due to the resolution it's not really worth the novelty. All the text in the Witcher would be completely illegible.

Angel_DvA

So, I bought it and I don't even know why but YOLO ( I got it with Batman VR, Thumper, Until Dawn and DriveClub VR ) I hope I'm here for a treat...

I can't decide between Eve Valkyrie and Rigs, which one is better ?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
lol WTF mine looks NOTHING like that!

Mine came in a folded up package about 1/8th of that size and is battleship grey lol
Yeah I think the US ones are grey and the EU ones are Playstation blue with the PS symbols all over it.

jaypah

Holy fuck you're insane. I'd never talk the anyone again who pulled some shit like that on me.

Yup. The number 1 VR rule in our house is the asshole rule, otherwise known as "DON'T FUCKING TOUCH ANYONE IN VR". My wife and I are both jokesters but we made a pact 2 years ago and we stand by it. I know it's tempting but listen to Bryson Tiller and don't.

So, I bought it and I don't even know why but YOLO ( I got it with Batman VR, Thumper, Until Dawn and DriveClub VR ) I hope I'm here for a threat...

Haven't actually tried Eve yet because I hear it's lacking for the price right now. Bought RIGS though and love it. Try the demos and decide from there :)

PBY

Banned
So, I bought it and I don't even know why but YOLO ( I got it with Batman VR, Thumper, Until Dawn and DriveClub VR ) I hope I'm here for a threat...

Trade in/return DC and get both?

Moreche

My wife just tried the Ocean Descent demo and I could tell she was impressed. She thinks VR will be a fad but I honestly don't care, I'm going to support it until it dies.
I absolutely love it but I really wish they would let be use my PS4 without having to power the VR PU on. A real oversight that I'm sure they couldn't avoid but I means one extra thing using power when there's no need to.

bumpkin

My wife just tried the Ocean Descent demo and I could tell she was impressed. She thinks VR will be a fad but I honestly don't care, I'm going to support it until it dies.
I absolutely love it but I really wish they would let be use my PS4 without having to power the VR PU on. A real oversight that I'm sure they couldn't avoid but I means one extra thing using power when there's no need to.
Is that included on the demo disc?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Anybody else afraid of scratching the lenses with their glasses? I feel like they're pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom