• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z3M0G

Lots of drift to the left happening in RIGS. Watching my buddy play and he has his chair turned almost 45 degrees to line it back up.

Any suggestions?

Teknoman

Got my headset in today some impressions:

Comfort
Super easy to dial in the right fit. I really like that i can easily pull away the viewer to look around in the real world if I need. This + elite pulse headphones will really fuck up my hair every time.

Screen
Blur. I can come to terms with resolution, but in some places things seem needlessly blurry. Up close objects, distance views, and all of Driveclub.
Dark pattern. I don't know what this is, but there is an odd pattern across the screen in some dark scenes. This is very noticeable in Until Dawn. Compare that with the blackness when viewing the home screen.
SDE. I don't have a ton of experience with other headsets, but my guess is the effect is minimal here.

Tracking
Jitters and pulsing headset. This is with lights on and off. It didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. I still found it strange that it was happening though. When I tried out PS3 Tumble in 3d a few days ago, it didn't seem as bad as what I was experiencing today,
Headset drift. Headset for some reason drifts from center pretty often. Calibration doesn't correct this in game, so I end up having to shift my angle a bit.

Motion Sickness
For the most part, I felt great throughout the extended sessions of Until Dawn, Rigs, and Driveclub. It wasn't until I played more hilly tracks and casually drove around that I really started to feel it. I think at slower speeds my body is more familiar with what to expect, and that caused some issues.

Games

Until Dawn. Played the demo and the first 3 tracks. Very immersive, love the dual wielding. It felt like being on an awesome amusement park ride. Level 3 boss was a bit bullet spongey.

Rigs. Demo + first couple league matches. After training, I turned off all the comfort options and it felt really great to play. Looking forward to digging in more.

Driveclub. I never played the original, so for me, this game is packed with content. For the most part everything feels great. Pulse headset + t500rs wheel make this an incredible experience. I think this game is too blurry. Maybe it's the lighting or some other effect, but it looks consistently more blurry than other games. Also, I can't stand the dynamic lighting/brightness/contrast. Especially with VR, interiors are even more visually important, and it mostly looks like blackness unless I bury my face into it. I would also be interested in an option to turn off the horizon lock, the game feels oddly smooth at times.

Playroom VR. The platformer is wonderful and I wish there were more offerings like that at launch. I think plenty of third person games can work very well with a carefully curated camera.

Rez. I only played a minute of the demo and the depth felt disappointingly flat. I will definitely revisit.

Battlezone. Tank interior was just good to look at. Demo was also very fun. The intensity ramped up quickly.

Job Simulator. Delightfully cathartic.

Overall
Love it. More blurry than expected. Drift and jitters are present and disappointing. But, none of it is bad enough that VR itself can't make up for it. I really hope this catches on, this is a technology that can take huge strides between generations. Also, more third person games please.

Play the Rez demo fully. The rest of area 1 and the later boss they let you fight is a true indicator how the game will feel (faster travel flow).

ClearData

I think a $400 peripheral for a $300 system is a hard sale to casual audience.
I really don't expect much after the initial launch.

I suppose it depends on if the public buys into VR in the same way the Wii and Kinect saw great early adoption. Whether it sticks around is on Sony, Valve, and Oculus to keep it relevant.

kinggroin

Banned
Lots of drift to the left happening in RIGS. Watching my buddy play and he has his chair turned almost 45 degrees to line it back up.

Any suggestions?

Use the recenter button my man. I get drift on every single thing I play on this thing, but the recenter button means I only ever have to worry about it once every few minutes and only for just a couple seconds

Use the recenter button my man. I get drift on every single thing I play on this thing, but the recenter button means I only ever have to worry about it once every few minutes and only for just a couple seconds

This. Holding the "Option" button for a few seconds does wonders. Helped me out when things got weird.

Gemeanie

Harmonix VR is very underrated.

And I'm not talking about the painting game, or the dancing game or the beach thing.

"The Trip" is fucking amazing if you play your own music.

1.jpg
Still $25 on Asia PSN, fishy

Just tried first 2 areas in Rez Infinite and I can't decide I like this or Thumper more. They're both incredible in VR

does anyone else have really long eyelashes that constantly brush up against the lenses? I'm worried I'm gonna scratch the thing.

I dont think this is an issue unless your long beautiful eyelashes are made of steel or something

I am worried about my glasses though, they bumped up against the lenses a couple of times. Can't be good.

Tain

Glad I'm not the only one who found the Rez demo to be lacking in visual depth. It's still gorgeous and awesome, but I wish they had a basic world scale option. I don't even know if it respects positional tracking.

It doesn't work for me at all. Works exactly as it was during the GiantBomb streams. Clicks your view a 1/4" back to the right but won't get anywhere near center :/

I played for about the same amount of time - the game is blowing my mind. So much fun - I can't wait to take it online!

Regarding your centering issue - did you try holding the options button down to recalibrate?

Yeah, I don't know that I articulated my excitement enough in my previous post. I can't be more pleased with my purchase so far, despite the expense. To be honest, aside from the fact that most content is short, I feel it's easily worth the $500+ I paid for it, plus the extra for the games and a charging stand. I really hope this stuff takes off, because it's very impressive and we're just touching the surface of what's possible.

As for re-calibrating, no, I didn't try that...I couldn't figure that one out and by the time it started to occur, it was time to give my son a turn. He must have had a similar issue though, because at the end of his 20-30 minute session, he was having to turn his controller nearly 90 degrees to the left of him in order for it to shoot the rope out at the correct angle in Playroom VR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Drift is confusing as anything. The camera shouldn't be simply acting as a basic recalibration of the motion sensors, it should be a full reset of positional and rotational data every frame (1/60 or 1/30 doesn't matter). The worst you should get is a little drift between camera updates but nothing past a fraction of a second and certainly nothing cumulative

Hoping it's fixable with a software update because it should be basic, figure-this-out-day-one kind of stuff for VR

kinggroin

Banned
It doesn't work for me at all. Works exactly as it was during the GiantBomb streams. Clicks your view a 1/4" back to the right but won't get anywhere near center :/

What the hell?

It's supposed to center based on where you are facing

Are you sure you're turning your head back to the camera BEFORE pressing it? Sucks to hear if you, cause you may have deeper issues

What the hell?

It's supposed to center based on where you are facing

Are you sure you're turning your head back to the camera BEFORE pressing it? Sucks to hear if you, cause you may have deeper issues

Yeah unfortunately :(. I have major left drift and pulsating (back and forth) screen no matter the adjustments I make physically to camera/headset/controllers.

I'm going to dive down into the headset light and eye settings after work and pray that helps. If not I'll be exchanging it for a new unit.... or putting that money into my gaming PC and picking up a Vive instead this winter lol.

You may have a faulty unit or camera. When I hold the option button, it goes right to the center with no issue whatsoever. You may want to contact Sony.

Hey, just to ask, how is cinematic mode for everyone? I'm hoping to get the system and I just wanted to know if playing games with it on works well.

Teknoman

Yeah no real drift or tracking issues for me. Recenter works fine when I need it, but I have had a random issue where my VR screen completely cuts out for a split second. It's only happened twice considering the amount of time I put in yesterday, but I'm not sure what caused it.

Bikram

Waiting for sword art online game in VR.
I have to wait for a month before I get to try it. So I just keep going through this thread to read all the impressions to get that warm fuzzy feeling.

Details.

Is the TV even showing an image of anything?

Did you press power on the VR dongle?

Yes tv is showing image, (menu of the demo disc) and the camera is tracking because when I move the headset I can see the movement on the tv. Headset is on, all lights are on.

Just a stupid ring of white lights. Like a loading icon.

kinggroin

Banned
Hey, just to ask, how is cinematic mode for everyone? I'm hoping to get the system and I just wanted to know if playing games with it on works well.

It's super no-frills. Just a giant floating image in black space.

Some games have issues with ghosting/trailing due to the fact that Sony runs their OLED display in this mode at absolute black levels (rather than a few shades up). This means the lowish response time from a pixel turning from black to not black leaves trails in dark spots of the screen. Very noticeable in games like PT (plus banding like crazy).

Otherwise, it's fine

Any suggestions?
I get the same and what's weird is if you see the camera negative and hold the controller directly below your body, it's perfectly lined up but you are at an angle to the camera. If you face the camera directly it looks like you are angled.

It's weird. Once you turn a bit it's fine for however long you play.

ckohler

It's really awesome to see so many people here are having a blast and being blown away with PSVR. As for myself, I love the tech and the experiences but my body isn't reacting well to it. I have felt "off" every time and that feeling sticks with me for a while. :/ I'm jealous that so many of you guys have no tracking/nausia issues. I'm going to keep at it though and get this working because I sooooo want to keep experiencing VR. Regardless, it's really starting to feel like PSVR might be a big deal for general VR acceptance.

I personally think it looks really fantastic. Way clearer and higher fidelity than I expected. I'd totally watch a movie or play a game with it.

However, I have seen and heard other people saying it isn't good enough so your milage may vary. I honestly don't understand the complaints. It looks much better than I expected it would and I can't see any screen door. I wear glasses, too!

kinggroin

Banned
Yes tv is showing image, (menu of the demo disc) and the camera is tracking because when I move the headset I can see the movement on the tv. Headset is on, all lights are on.

Oh...a ring of dots spinning in the headset? Lol, it's working man.

That's the loading indicator. If you're playing off a disc, it takes a loooong time.

phant0m

I had the same problem yesterday. Today, I played for almost 4 hours with NO drifting at all. Here's what I changed:

• No artificial lighting in the room. Still very bright from natural sunlight though.
  • Moved my seating about 1-1.5 ft closer
  • Readjusted the camera to be centered on my chest instead of my head.
  • brb reboot?

Caode

Holy shit.

I was waiting on a bus, so popped in to CEX to kill some time, and noticed they have a PSVR unit on the shelf and they're being their usual scumbag selves, pricing it at €575!

Now that I think of it, when I loaded up the Demo Disk for the first time, I was told on-screen that there was something wrong with my HDMI and USB connection, then it froze the PS4. After the restart, I didn't have any issue. It was odd.

Decided to bite the bullet and order one. It was surprisingly pretty hard to still get one. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow and not on monday.

I had the same problem yesterday. Today, I played for almost 4 hours with NO drifting at all. Here's what I changed:

• No artificial lighting in the room. Still very bright from natural sunlight though.
  • Moved my seating about 1-1.5 ft closer
  • Readjusted the camera to be centered on my chest instead of my head.
  • brb reboot?
Going to try this with the camera centered below my headset.

With the tiny box focused on the PSVR I have to hold the DS4 up higher to get it in view at about 6 feet away. This way I'll get the controller in full time I hope. Maybe that will help positioning.

In any way, this sounds def like a software thing.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think a $400 peripheral for a $300 system is a hard sale to casual audience.
I really don't expect much after the initial launch.

it's really a new $500 console*. I expect it to continue to sell exactly like a new console, 100% contingent on post-launch support (quality and quantity)

*for the existing PS4 userbase of 40M+

dd492941

Does anyone know for sure if you buy loading human episode one for 40 if you get the other episodes or is it actually 40 per episode? It seems crazy to me if that is the case. Thanks in advance.

Everything appears to be closer to me today. Like, for example, in the Playroom VR where you put the controller in the claw machine, it's right in front of me, whereas yesterday I had to stretch my arms a little.

What gives?

joebruin

i kept rubbing the lenses because others were mentioning there being protective film on them you had to remove.

had to rub out the oily fingerprints...nooooo. always paranoid about scratching things even with microfiber cloth. i'm assuming you're supposed to launder then...otherwise you're just rubbing grime around eventually? heh

Haines

Banned
it's really a new $500 console*. I expect it to continue to sell exactly like a new console, 100% contingent on post-launch support (quality and quantity)

*for the existing PS4 userbase of 40M+

The post launch support looks slow and unexciting to me. I think they will need to price cut the bundles fairly quickly to keep these moving.

BadHand

Bound in VR is great, but I wish the camera controls were better.

I noticed that the rain splatters create X, circle, triangle and square PS symbols.... never noticed that prior to VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom