• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been enjoying some of the 360 videos on the various video apps but I'd really like a live video with 3D.... Not just the flat 360 video.

This is possible right? 360 cameras that also film in 3D?

For those new to VR like myself you have to download ALLUMETTE and "watch" it. Fucking incredible what this technology can do. I don't know if a movie in IMAX will ever impress me again.
Also yeah the light bleed. I had a sweet spot yesterday where I had none but I can't seem to reproduce it today. Hopefully someone has some good remedies for it soon.

Shit man, I didn't think that I would want one so bad... did anyone else cave to the temptation? If so, was it worth it?

Well I had a preorder from March when they went live. I cancelled it a few weeks ago, because I just wasn't really feeling it and I have a ton of games in my backlog that I wanted to get through. I woke up yesterday morning and Amazon still had launch bundles in stock. Mine will be here tomorrow. I'm weak, I'll be the first to admit it, but reviews (outside of Giant Bomb) made me want to jump in and reading the thread over the past few days makes me feel like I made the right choice to do so. Worst case I don't like it, or I suffer from motion sickness and I send it back to Amazon.

YuShtink

After watching YouTube or Netflix for a couple minutes I notice the picture has moved to the left and I have to re-center it. What's up with that?

It's a slow tracking drift. It used to be a constant problem with the old Oculus Dev Kit 1 but I'm surprised it's an issue at all with PSVR because it has an external camera for positional tracking which DK1 didn't have. It really shouldn't be happening. Confident it will be fixed for you guys in a patch or something.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Gaffers who wear glasses, how are you liking it?

Not a whole lot, so far. Put around 2 hours into fucking around with it last night, and maybe another 30 minutes just now. The glasses keep smudging up, and if they slip out of position, I tend to have to fuck with the headset to get back into the sweet spot. I tried moving the scope out a click or two, but that seemed to ruin the sweet spot and kill text legibility.

Additionally and more generally, my entire experience is plagued by a dramatic and immersion-breaking mesh effect. Like I'm watching everything through a mesh. I can't really explain it better. I'm pretty sure I have my sweet spot correct, since most text is perfectly readable, but I'm just not really enjoying this first experience I'm having with VR. Not sure if the problem is me or the device.

I tried not using my glasses at all, but everything was just a hazy blur. Couldn't get anything to focus at all.

Extended sessions also seem to cause a weird drift, requiring me to periodically recenter the view. Kind of annoying, but not a deal breaker.

I'll continue messing with it tomorrow, I guess.

robotrock

Banned
It's a slow tracking drift. It used to be a constant problem with the old Oculus Dev Kit 1 but I'm surprised it's an issue at all with PSVR because it has an external camera for positional tracking which DK1 didn't have. It really shouldn't be happening. Confident it will be fixed for you guys in a patch or something.

So I think the PSVR doesn't actually use the external camera for the cinematic view stuff, it just uses the gyroscope. There's no positional tracking.

YuShtink

I've been enjoying some of the 360 videos on the various video apps but I'd really like a live video with 3D.... Not just the flat 360 video.

Yep it's totally possible and has been done. There are 3D 360 films out there. The best quality stuff I've seen in that regard is the stuff Oculus and Samsung did for GearVR like the Lebron James doc. You still can't move your head around in space like real VR, but it is in the 3D. And soon you WILL be able to move your head through video space thanks to lightfield cameras. The near future is going to be really cool.

Slixshot

Banned
Well I had a preorder from March when they went live. I cancelled it a few weeks ago, because I just wasn't really feeling it and I have a ton of games in my backlog that I wanted to get through. I woke up yesterday morning and Amazon still had launch bundles in stock. Mine will be here tomorrow. I'm weak, I'll be the first to admit it, but reviews (outside of Giant Bomb) made me want to jump in and reading the thread over the past few days makes me feel like I made the right choice to do so. Worst case I don't like it, or I suffer from motion sickness and I send it back to Amazon.

I'm literally in the same position as you... we aren't weak though! Just hopped back on the hype train!

YuShtink

So I think the PSVR doesn't actually use the external camera for the cinematic view stuff, it just uses the gyroscope. There's no positional tracking.

Oh damn well that explains it I guess. Without using the fixed reference point of the camera drift is going to be a persistent problem (until inside-out tracking is viable).

bumpkin

Shit man, I didn't think that I would want one so bad... did anyone else cave to the temptation? If so, was it worth it?
I caved... I got about halfway through the day when I decided to check if my local Best Buy had any in stock. They were out of the Launch Bundle, but they still had two Cores in stock. I cruised on over to the store, found it, and I was looking at it and talking to the sales associate in video games about it for a good 15-20 minutes. I had to get back to work (I was on my lunch break), so I said to myself, "I came here to get it. There it is. Let's do it." and off I went; grabbed Batman while I was there.

After seeing in the thread that "The Deep" isn't on the included demo disc, I ended up going back to Best Buy on my way home from work to grab PSVR Worlds. That was what I tried prior to release and was totally blown away.

So tonight I cracked it open, got it set up, and played for an hour or so. I didn't even open the games I bought yet, my game time was spent almost entirely playing The Playroom VR which was a free download. During the setup and the configuration step, I actually was second-guessing the purchase. It was a bit of a hassle to set up and it takes a lot of space up between the PU, the wires and the headset. It also took a lot of fiddling to get the picture to be clear, and even when it was close to clear, the "screen door effect" was always present. But I'll tell you, once I got into the game, I changed my mind and was loving it!

I don't know if this sways you one way or the other, but I'm looking forward to playing it some more. I definitely will only be playing in short bursts though. I could see long play sessions making my eyes or head hurt.

Also, the earbuds that come with it are trash. I could not get them to stay in my ears to save my life. I eventually gave up and just put on my Turtle Beach gaming headphones after I had the PSVR helmet on. It was butter from then on out.

So embarrassing: I got a tiny scuff on my headset from hitting it on the coffee table while "looking into" the airship in the Allumette cartoon! LMAO Lesson learned about being aware of your space, but it's a bit of a testament about just how much I lost touch with the real world.

Yep it's totally possible and has been done. There are 3D 360 films out there. The best quality stuff I've seen in that regard is the stuff Oculus and Samsung did for GearVR like the Lebron James doc. You still can't move your head around in space like real VR, but it is in the 3D. And soon you WILL be able to move your head through video space thanks to lightfield cameras. The near future is going to be really cool.

That's awesome, thanks for the response!

I want some 3d 360 experiences asap 😍

So embarrassing: I got a tiny scuff on my headset from hitting it on the coffee table while "looking into" the airship in the Allumette cartoon! LMAO Lesson learned about being aware of your space, but it's a bit a testament about just how much I lost touch with the real world.

I banged my hand and controller HARD on the coffee table while trying to juggle those globes on the Demo Disc title select screen. Thankfully no damage done.

My VR dream is to someday be able to stream live sports events in VR. Imagine watching a Laker game live from a courtside view.

That's awesome, thanks for the response!

I want some 3d 360 experiences asap 😍

There are tons of companies doing 3d 360 productions right now and multiple camera hardware configurations coming out, they are mostly very expensive (8k minimum). I would say most professional 360 videos will soon be 3d which is awesome. I'm working on a project with a company right now to bring 3d stereoscopic 360 cameras to cheaper consumer level including editing software we think there will be multiple cameras shipping by end of next year.

Illucio

Banned
So my PSVR came today and was missing the wires and processing box. I contacted Amazon and they said I'd have to return it and they made a new order for a new box with next day shipping and i should be getting it tomorrow.

I left the chat and realized they never gave me info on how to ship it back. And the email said that they made a new order for the PSVR and it's free of charge.

So do I just keep this extra headset or should I contact customer support and get the information so I can return it to them?

SerTapTap

Allumette is super legit, please do watch it (it's free), stand up and look around. Amazing for such a short cartoon. I tried to grab things the characters dropped twice. Teared up at the end.

I get this weird brain effect in some games. I'm playing in a wheeled chair, and in stuff like Playroom's platformer when I'm going forward I SWEAR I can feel the chair wheeling forward, and backward when I go backward. It's specific to that kind of movement too, strictly on rails doesn't do it at all (thumper, superhypercube).

Doesn't really make me nauseous, just a sorta weird feeling

I also find myself taking the headset off every 15-30 minutes. Probably partly just getting used to it, partly because I multitask a lot and I really can't do that within vr.

Anyone else having issues with the inside fogging up and causing a lot of blurriness?

Only does this to me when I'm already a bit hot before I put it on, and it's a bit worse than glasses. Since it's fall I usually just take off my sweatshirt before using the PSVR, it heats me up a bit

So my PSVR came today and was missing the wires and processing box. I contacted Amazon and they said I'd have to return it and they made a new order for a new box with next day shipping and i should be getting it tomorrow.

I left the chat and realized they never gave me info on how to ship it back. And the email said that they made a new order for the PSVR and it's free of charge.

So do I just keep this extra headset or should I contact customer support and get the information so I can return it to them?

Normally with returns they send a new one and give you like 30 days to return the old one before a 2nd charge appears on your card. Did they email you a shipping label?

There are tons of companies doing 3d 360 productions right now and multiple camera hardware configurations coming out, they are mostly very expensive (8k minimum). I would say most professional 360 videos will soon be 3d which is awesome. I'm working on a project with a company right now to bring 3d stereoscopic 360 cameras to cheaper consumer level including editing software we think there will be multiple cameras shipping by end of next year.

I was just googling around and it seems there are a few 360 3d videos on YouTube? Is this possible? Or would we need a dedicated app to see a video in actual 3d?

SerTapTap

Not sure how true that is, getting your head out of range of the camera causes some major issues and it tracks you standing up and moving around in "room scale" play in Catlateral damage. And my real cat standing in front of the camera while I was playing caused all sorts of issues though there's definitely some major work the gyro does too.

Push the button on the front and slide it out just a hair. Don't keep it against your face

OH yeah this helps a lot, especially with glasses I keep it out an extra step. Doesn't really affect clarity much either, just a teeny bit more light bleed.

Fogging has been by far and away my biggest issue. Only solution I've found is go keep the screen not physically suction cupped to your face.

Chiming as well, I too have had a couple of times where I've taken it off and realized it was fogging up and needing a wipe, especially when I really push the screen all the way in. Having my air conditioner keep things a little cool for me has helped. Also like you said, one spot out sometimes has been the sweet spot too and in those instances it hasn't really happened. Though sometimes all the way in has been the best positioning for seeing things right so I can't always help it.

Its probably been answered before, So I apologize. Do the headsets support HDR?

No, pretty much only 4K TVs support HDR right now.

I banged my hand and controller HARD on the coffee table while trying to juggle those globes on the Demo Disc title select screen. Thankfully no damage done.

I had one of these dumb accidental experiences too lol.

My experience with this was fortunately pretty funny. I was playing Batman and I have a box on top of one of my cabinets off to the side, when in the Batcave and reaching toward the centrifuge it accidentally somehow lined up almost perfectly with the box but a little closer so my hand with the Move bumped (mostly softly since I was reaching out to push a button) right into the box and it took me a split second to realize it was the box and not me hitting the metal control panel LOL. I was like "What the? oh yeah it must be that"

androvsky

If you look carefully the apps have a few videos marked 3D, one was a KPop group singing, another was a large cat waking near a camera. The video quality of the 3D videos tend to be even worse sadly.

Burglekutt

Is there anyway to get the danganrompa class room VR thing or is it only for ps+ on a Japanese psn account?

Its also on the asia psn. I dont know about the japanese version but the asain version is in 100% english. Its still tied to PS plus though. There is a trick to get it free. If you take a save file and try to save it to the cloud the PSN will tell you that you have to have PS plus for that but will then offer you a free 2 day trial. You dont need any cc for the 2 day trial. Accept the offer and download the demo.

If you look carefully the apps have a few videos marked 3D, one was a KPop group singing, another was a large cat waking near a camera. The video quality of the 3D videos tend to be even worse sadly.

Which app I'm curious to try one? I've only tried a few of the videos in vrideo. The animated one in the shop was kind of neat to look at.

They really need to get the media player updated for 360 3D VR videos.

Gemeanie

Its also on the asia psn. I dont know about the japanese version but the asain version is in 100% english. Its still tied to PS plus though. There is a trick to get it free. If you take a save file and try to save it to the cloud the PSN will tell you that you have to have PS plus for that but will then offer you a free 2 day trial. You dont need any cc for the 2 day trial. Accept the offer and download the demo.
I don't know about Japanese version but Asian version is actually in 3 languages though Chinese uses Japanese voice.

By the way Spike Chunsoft tweeted yesterday they are working on bringing the demo to western

I'll look for sure :) I have encountered some of the extremely muddy videos and some where you can see where they were stitched together haha
With the standard 360 video I really like The Lion King opening song, if that was also in 3d and not compressed it would have been better than the real thing! The U2 song was pretty cool as well as the music video Kids (I think it was called).

I need more 3d films like Allumette :)

Burglekutt

I don't know about Japanese version but Asian version is actually in 3 languages though Chinese uses Japanese voice.

By the way Spike Chunsoft tweeted yesterday they are working on bringing the demo to western

I heard about the potential western release. Had I known that I would have waited. Still an awesome demo that really makes me want a full danganronpa vr game.

YuShtink

My VR dream is to someday be able to stream live sports events in VR. Imagine watching a Laker game live from a courtside view.

Yep it will be amazing. Not sure if it's available for PSVR but the WWE did a couple short 360 videos where you are ringside next to the announcers table. It's CRAZY.

Illucio

Banned
Normally with returns they send a new one and give you like 30 days to return the old one before a 2nd charge appears on your card. Did they email you a shipping label?
They didn't. I just double checked.

edit: nvm I looked at the first order and the label was there and everything.

Ok wow. The girlfriend and i played PlayRoom VR and its a fucking blast. I want multiple new games based off of these. Holy shit the monster game is hilarious and the voice modulation had us in stitches.

Nursezero

Quick question all,

Does the PSVR breakout box cause lag on the PS4? I've been playing Destiny and it feels like it to me (note, I'm not using the VR as a screen to play Destiny). Thanks in advance.

Nags

Banned
Quick question all,

Does the PSVR breakout box cause lag on the PS4? I've been playing Destiny and it feels like it to me (note, I'm not using the VR as a screen to play Destiny). Thanks in advance.

Haven't noticed anything and I'm really sensitive to this stuff. I do already have a very low latency display though at 15ms.

Welp, been using my unit for the past hour and as I was using Hulu it looks like I have a dead pixel =(.
Edit: The more I use it, the more flickering pixels I see. Is there a fix for this possibly, or am I just gonna have to send it back?

Sealtest

Has anyone figured out how to play Bound? I don't have a play button only the option to buy it.

It's one of the most demo's I've been looking forward to trying.

Slixshot

Banned
I caved... I got about halfway through the day when I decided to check if my local Best Buy had any in stock. They were out of the Launch Bundle, but they still had two Cores in stock. I cruised on over to the store, found it, and I was looking at it and talking to the sales associate in video games about it for a good 15-20 minutes. I had to get back to work (I was on my lunch break), so I said to myself, "I came here to get it. There it is. Let's do it." and off I went; grabbed Batman while I was there.

After seeing in the thread that "The Deep" isn't on the included demo disc, I ended up going back to Best Buy on my way home from work to grab PSVR Worlds. That was what I tried prior to release and was totally blown away.

So tonight I cracked it open, got it set up, and played for an hour or so. I didn't even open the games I bought yet, my game time was spent almost entirely playing The Playroom VR which was a free download. During the setup and the configuration step, I actually was second-guessing the purchase. It was a bit of a hassle to set up and it takes a lot of space up between the PU, the wires and the headset. It also took a lot of fiddling to get the picture to be clear, and even when it was close to clear, the "screen door effect" was always present. But I'll tell you, once I got into the game, I changed my mind and was loving it!

I don't know if this sways you one way or the other, but I'm looking forward to playing it some more. I definitely will only be playing in short bursts though. I could see long play sessions making my eyes or head hurt.

Also, the earbuds that come with it are trash. I could not get them to stay in my ears to save my life. I eventually gave up and just put on my Turtle Beach gaming headphones after I had the PSVR helmet on. It was butter from then on out.

Great post bro! It makes me happy to read positive impressions! I'm leaning towards it! Just bought thumper which I can totally play without VR... but I can also do so with a sweet new headset....

Wayward Sky is my new favorite thing ever lol, damn that demo sold me hard, bought!

Never thought of controlling a third person adventure/puzzle game like that but it was really fun. And you're so close.

That art/shading style is perfect for PSVR, it looked super sharp.

Yo why isn't London Heist longer?

Enjoyed playing though it.

Agreed.

should have been a king's field game from From

We need something like this so bad.

I also want a Time Crisis lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom