• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eighthours

Guys, guys, guys: SPORTS BAR VR IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Learn from me: It initially looks like you can't get past step 2/5 of the tutorial where it tells you where to stand. Step 1 has a clearly defined end to it which then moves you on to step 2. Step 2 doesn't have that, though, so I was stepping in and out of the circle a gazillion times thinking I was doing something wrong or the game was fucked. Turns out that you have to manually move that screen on. To do this, select the menu with triangle on one of your moves and then point at the arrow and hit the T button to move on.)

It's so much fun just messing around with pool balls and throwing darts. The air hockey is awesome. Didn't actually play a proper game of pool as mucking about was so much fun.

Regarding the tracking issues I'd heard about, I didn't have any as long as I didn't turn 180 degrees from the camera. There's a thing called 'Hulk Mode' which allows you to turn without moving in real life. I suggest doing this if you're having trouble lining stuff up.

I tried to put my hand on the table so often. Instinct.

So just set it all up and put on the headset for the first time to find out that you have to connect the break out box to a TV!? Why on earth would I need to do that!

My TV is in storage while I do up my house so no psvr for me!

Does anyone else have the issue that during playing, the VR seems to shift the centre to the left or right so I have to adjust my position?
It's very obvious when playing Thumper. I've properly configured the camera so I don't know what the issue might be.

Chris_C

Has anyone tried a very high camera setup? Vive recommends high lighthouses above head height to avoid occlusion

I think this would work fine with the move and headset, but because of the slant on the DS4 controller, your likely going to occlude the light bar. I've noticed that putting the camera above my TV leads to sub par controller tracking, putting it below increased accuracy.

do they have stock in stores? Online is showing out of stock

Didn't ask, he did tell me they are like gold dust but assumed he was just trying to get me to buy it lol. Looking on here the last few days I didn't think it would sell out as argos etc had stock, but now looking like will be sold out until wave 2 next month.

Hopefully means it does well and more use is made of it then of previous things like move etc.

phant0m

Yes looking out the passenger door in the van (like actually opening) was like another "Mario 64" moment.

Btw is there an EVE Valkyrie OT yet?

EDIT: Some of the games from PSVR Worlds need to have expanded full games to continue the story. Especially Scavenger's Odyssey and The Heist. I guess The Deep whatever undersea thing could become a sort of Uncharted like tale.

They feel like those shorts that you watch that actually have interesting stories, but you know they arent going anywhere because their just shorts.

I've been enjoying Rez and Thumper, but Scavengers Odyssey and the Playroom Platforming are some next level shit. I grinned ear to ear the entire time on both of them. Valkyrie too.

Chris_C

Anyone had a chance to play the Oh My! Genesis demo on some Asian demo discs? It's a super fun little God game, cant wait for it to be released in the West. It kinda feels like the frame rate is a little low though, and I wish it had a better AA solution.

irkutsk12

Neo Member
Hi,

I'm one of developers of Bound, thanks for such great comments about our VR version. I'll be doing reddit AMA next week, if you have some questions.

For those who doesn't know how the game looks in VR you can check on my commentary here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4Ti7rFmqA

But like couple of people already said, it needs to be checked with HMD on.

Thanks and please keep your eyes on the next update!

I think this would work fine with the move and headset, but because of the slant on the DS4 controller, your likely going to occlude the light bar. I've noticed that putting the camera above my TV leads to sub par controller tracking, putting it below increased accuracy.

I've tried head height and above head height but it works way worse than "desk" height in my experience. I get worse drift when it's high.

Hi,

I'm one of developers of Bound, thanks for such great comments about our VR version. I'll be doing reddit AMA next week, if you have some questions.

For those who doesn't know how the game looks in VR you can check on my commentary here:

Any Ps4 pro info?

I've never hit the 'purchase' button after playing a demo before. Thumper changed that. Holy hell what an effective demo for a game.

Also tried the Playroom platformer game after hearing everyone rave about it in here. I would love to play an entire game like this. There's a moment where you change your perspective a little bit and can see a little duder and it just seemed so natural and amazing. The immersion and sense of scale was fantastic in that game too.

Thumper is one hell of an experience.

Totally unrelated, but it's nice to see a familiar face from TUS back in the day on GAF.

Ozorov

Hi,

Can't wait to try it out when I get my psvr :). And yeah, any PS4 Pro info?

Just got it. Downloading the full demo disc now. I tried the demo disc that came with it (EU) and tried Ocean Descent. Had to nope out after a minute because I'm terrified of the ocean lol. The London heist shooting gallery was awesome I didn't realise how immersive have the hands would be.

spidye

Guys I have a question.

I am sitting 2m away in front of my TV and when I look through the headset everything's fine and clear.
when I play in Cinema mode or even when I look at the ps menu the picture is perfect BUT
as soon as I start a VR game (mostly Thumper and Driveclub) the image suddenly jumps a little bit to the left. I haven't changed my position in relation to the TV or camera, still I have to look a little bit to left to get the image in the center of my view.
did anyone else encountered this problem?

I tried to google it but haven't found any solutions.

thanks in advance for any help

So just set it all up and put on the headset for the first time to find out that you have to connect the break out box to a TV!? Why on earth would I need to do that!

My TV is in storage while I do up my house so no psvr for me!

You just need to connect it to a TV for the initial setup and after that you can use the headset without one.

PSA:
I've started a thread to collate any feature requests, quality of life improvements and anything else we can think of so Sony and Devs can take note:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294465

I figure since a lot of people are giving impressions and many of them contain QoL suggestions, we could start a thread to get them all in one place.

Not an impression thread, not a complaint thread.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My Sennheiser 595's do easily.

OK great, that's what I have. I'm a little afraid tho that my headphones are actually less comfortable than the headset and that will take me out of the experience.

Also how do you guys put the headset away when you're done with it? Disconnect it from PS Goiter and wrap it up somewhere?

Does anyone else have the issue that during playing, the VR seems to shift the centre to the left or right so I have to adjust my position?
It's very obvious when playing Thumper. I've properly configured the camera so I don't know what the issue might be.

I get this too. Hopefully a software update or something will fix it coz when playing stuff like RIGS my brain falls over trying to work out what's going on unless my body is in line with the HUD, meaning I have to adjust my seating position

bodine1231

Anyone get that VR stand/charging station?

http://m.gamestop.com/product/ps4/accessories/playstation-vr-charge-and-display-station/131502

I don't like how it only charges one controller but it looks good.

This one isn't out yet but might be more of what I'm looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYGCK1M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm about to go pick mine up from best buy. Right now I have controllers and wires all over my living room so it'll be nice to have everything in one spot. The charging is a bonus honestly.

The platforming level in Playroom doesnt feel right. It needs to be more like Lucky's Tale,that felt way more comfortable than this.

My brother just visited with his 3 kids. 2 hours of non stop giggling with the playroom.

I didn't adjust the floor on job simulator so my neice was barely able to look over the counter in the store. It was so cute. She still loved it.

She is nine, does not play games, yet of all the games she played today her favorite was REZ. lol.

I'm loving this thing.

So far I am loving my experience with the headset. My wife who was all against me getting one played it last night and fell in love. I really hope PSVr does well, I really want to see gen 2 of this product.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Just played the playroom platformer. You guys were 100% right. Amazing.

Could totally see a full title played like this. Never ever have i played a platformer in that way. Gave me first time mario 64 vibes, super refreshing.

Ratchet and Clank vr please.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The Superhypercube demo on the demo disc is just the title screen? The only option was to press triangle to buy the full game. Is that normal?

Try moving the camera (from below to above the tv or vice versa), getting closer to the camera or moving it closer to you, turning off the tv itself (in case light from that is reflecting on something), turning off room lights, make sure you don't have mirrors or reflective surfaces behind/near you, cover any obviously reflective surfaces.
I wonder if it's the TV reflecting off of me, that caused my issues. During night time that would be far more visible to a camera than during daytime

I also wonder if it's normal that camera sees an image that looks kinda ... bad ... during a specific calibration some of the demos offered. There were demos (can't remember which) that showed me what the camera sees, and told me to move the headset lights into a square. That was fine, except what the camera sees looked like a weird washed out gray surface with lights only faintly visible on it, with an inverse color.

OK great, that's what I have. I'm a little afraid tho that my headphones are actually less comfortable than the headset and that will take me out of the experience.

Also how do you guys put the headset away when you're done with it? Disconnect it from PS Goiter and wrap it up somewhere?
I disconnect it and put it back in the (padded) box. It's very fast.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I was just talking to a friend about this.

Disc Golf would be great in VR.

man, i had hoped with all the exposure DG got in the wii games and sports champions that someday soonish we'd get a real attempt at building a good disc golf game. i'd love LOVE this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom