• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm one of developers of Bound, thanks for such great comments about our VR version. I'll be doing reddit AMA next week, if you have some questions.

For those who doesn't know how the game looks in VR you can check on my commentary here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4Ti7rFmqA

But like couple of people already said, it needs to be checked with HMD on.

Thanks and please keep your eyes on the next update!
I'll be buying Bound as soon as my PS4 Pro comes, it'll be one of the first games I play with my PSVR!

The Superhypercube demo on the demo disc is just the title screen? The only option was to press triangle to buy the full game. Is that normal?

I wonder if it's the TV reflecting off of me, that caused my issues. During night time that would be far more visible to a camera than during daytime

I also wonder if it's normal that camera sees an image that looks kinda ... bad ... during some of the calibration some of the demos offered. There were demos (can't remember which) that showed me what the camera sees, and told me to move the headset lights into a square. That was fine, except what the camera sees looked like a weird washed out gray surface with lights only faintly visible on it, with an inverse color.
Yes. You are looking at a negative. My guess is that it's easier to track points of light with a negative filter since room space is washes out and the lights appear as dark spots.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
You know. I wish there were a way to buy a second set of cables and break out box. I have my wires all hidden perfectly the way i want but transporting a psvr to a friends house would be a pain with all the cables.

Guess i gotta wait for someone to break their headset....

Aceofspades

Banned
I have a question, once I launch a VR game the screen resolution on my TV drops to lower than original 1080p, things return to normal once I closed the VR application.

Is this normal?

I have a question, once I launch a VR game the screen resolution on my TV drops to lower than original 1080p, things return to normal once I closed the VR application.

Is this normal?

This seems to happen to mine sporadically. I can't figure out why it happens, but I don't think it's normal.

ymgve

I think I "overdosed" on VR yesteday. Even after a night of sleep I still feel a bit dizzy. Think it was Scavenger's Odyssey that impacted me most because I felt really weird when moving in that game.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think I "overdosed" on VR yesteday. Even after a night of sleep I still feel a bit dizzy. Think it was Scavenger's Odyssey that impacted me most because I felt really weird when moving in that game.

Yeah, that probably did it. I've never seen anyone talk about that game without mentioning motion sickness or general discomfort. It seems neat, but I know if I play it there's a decent chance it'll put me on my ass for a while.

Wayward Sky is delightful! Bought it based on some GAF impressions and I've got no regrets. I think VR is going to revolutionize the point & click adventure genre. I don't know if WS is the one, but we're probably going to get a "Myst" for this generation of gamers before too long.

Theres no way to fast forward or skip around in the descent game on worlds right?

I like to show it off, but that build up is really slow.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Guys, guys, guys: SPORTS BAR VR IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Learn from me: It initially looks like you can't get past step 2/5 of the tutorial where it tells you where to stand. Step 1 has a clearly defined end to it which then moves you on to step 2. Step 2 doesn't have that, though, so I was stepping in and out of the circle a gazillion times thinking I was doing something wrong or the game was fucked. Turns out that you have to manually move that screen on. To do this, select the menu with triangle on one of your moves and then point at the arrow and hit the T button to move on.)

It's so much fun just messing around with pool balls and throwing darts. The air hockey is awesome. Didn't actually play a proper game of pool as mucking about was so much fun.

Regarding the tracking issues I'd heard about, I didn't have any as long as I didn't turn 180 degrees from the camera. There's a thing called 'Hulk Mode' which allows you to turn without moving in real life. I suggest doing this if you're having trouble lining stuff up.

I tried to put my hand on the table so often. Instinct.

How are people playing this game?!?! I thought it wasn't out yet?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My brother just visited with his 3 kids. 2 hours of non stop giggling with the playroom.

I didn't adjust the floor on job simulator so my neice was barely able to look over the counter in the store. It was so cute. She still loved it.

She is nine, does not play games, yet of all the games she played today her favorite was REZ. lol.

I'm loving this thing.

kids + job simulator warning - small kids can try to lean on the counter tops = falling on their face.

Codiox

Cross- posting from the other thread:

GAF I need your advice.

Played until dawn and it was amazing, will grab this one today at a store. But I need a "main event" game:

Battlezone
Eve valkyre
Rigs

Which one of these 3? What has the most content?

DavidDesu

My mate's over playing the demo disc and for some reason the social screen is just blank. It shows the loading dots and screen notifications but nothing else is showing up. Switched the headset on/off and no joy, any ideas? Do I just need to restart my PS4?

Edit: It was working absolutely fine for a while before this.

DavidDesu

So anyone with Gear VR: is the PSVR IQ equal, better, worse?

Thanks in advance!

Generally better. It depends on a game per game basis. The image quality can be really good, better than Gear VR in the better apps. You absolutely have far less screen door effect so it's a cleaner image. I only really notice almost like dots at the corner of where the pixels meet, and only when you're really looking for it in a light scene. Compared to Gear VR where I can easily decipher every single block of pixels when looking for it.

So it's much better than the Gear there. Also, the optics in general give you a clearer image across a wider field of view than Gear VR does. I found Gear VR blurrier much closer to the centre. PSVR blurs but only at the very extreme edges.

Shoeless

My mate's over playing the demo disc and for some reason the social screen is just blank. It shows the loading dots and screen notifications but nothing else is showing up. Switched the headset on/off and no joy, any ideas? Do I just need to restart my PS4?

I think you may need to just completely power down your PS4. I actually had both the HMD and the PS4 stop showing images, and the HMD briefly showed a "NO HDMI" connection. But after unplugging both the PS4 and the break out box, and waiting a few minutes, everything was normal on restart.

f@luS

More than a member.
seriously HOW do you turn off the processing unit???

my ps4 was in rest mode all night, i turned off the headset with the button, took cable off, and yet my PU is still white and i ear vents

drive me crazy

Maligna

Banned
Man, I can't wait for Start Trek Bridge Crew. Anyone else anticipating that one?

So far my two favorite things are Rigs and Eve, but they are also the things that are the most intense. I can only play like one game of each before I have to stop using VR for a few hours, so I always play them last.

Really hope I can build a tolerance.

They're all on the demo disc. I would try them out first before deciding. They're pretty different games, and one or some might give you motion sickness too.

We closed the application and restarted the demo disc and it fixed itself for us.

seriously HOW do you turn off the processing unit???

my ps4 was in rest mode all night, i turned off the headset with the button, took cable off, and yet my PU is still white and i ear vents

drive me crazy

Hold the headset button for about 7 seconds and it will turn off. (It's a bug. Sometimes the processor unit won't switch off when powering down the ps4)

hmm I'm definitely getting screen door effect and generally seems out of focus, nothing major but it's there. Kitchen looks pretty awful but it was fun. Driveclub was fine for me for 2 laps and then NOPE.

f@luS

More than a member.
Hold the headset button for about 7 seconds and it will turn off. (It's a bug. Sometimes the processor unit won't switch off when powering down the ps4)

but if you totally switch it off and want to use the ps4 without VR after , will it turn on? hdmi going in the PU means it has to be on doesnt it?

ryseing

RIGS. Battlezone is kinda shite and EVE is primarily MP. RIGS has a full SP league system and MP component plus is the best game of the three.

I will say that Battlezone demoes and controls incredibly well. Rebellion unfortunately made some incredibly poor design decisions.

How are people playing this game?!?! I thought it wasn't out yet?

Out in EU but not in America, which is a bummer.

VR needs to be a thing, it needs to take off. I'm done with this medium if I have to wait another 10-15 years to play more stuff like this. I can't even imagine what the 2nd and 3rd gen experiences will be like. For folk still on the fence, I'd say jump in - even this first gen is the real deal and if you give a flying fuck about videogames, you should be part of this.

I echo this 100%.

It was like the revolution of Mario64, in 1996 for me. Games have evolved in polygonal worlds (over 20 years visually and mechanically), but Mario 64 and their ilk (even PS1) - ushered in a new revolution in gaming...it's been the same, but better with each gen of hardware since: evolutionary.

VR captures the original revolutionary change. There has been nothing like it, it's finally a a pivotal step and I'm glad *thrilled* to be part of this event.

No hyperbole.

Krakn3Dfx

Time to get some contacts I guess, my glasses are literally right up against the lens in the PSVR unless I wear the HMD loosely to prevent it from happening. I remember hearing it was a great headset for glasses wearers, but my Rift was much more forgiving.

It's funny to think back about all the pessimism here in the weeks approaching launch and everyone that cancelled their preorders.

This shit is amazing, and way better than I was expecting.

Ozorov

Can I buy two separate Move controllers or do I have to have this Twin Pack?

And how come these are out of stock like everywhere?

JordanN

Banned
VR is to traditional gaming what TV was to radio. It didn't replace it, but it transformed it into a much smaller market.

Once VR goes wireless, I think traditional gaming would become redundant.

In the future, why carry around a box you have to plug into a TV to use, when you could put on some 8K glasses and play anywhere?

NpoPOzM.jpg

Even in the future, we'll be able to simulate having a virtual console and controller in front of you.

86PdwJ8.jpg

It's funny to think back about all the pessimism here in the weeks approaching launch and everyone that cancelled their preorders.

This shit is amazing, and way better than I was expecting.

I had cancelled my preorder months ago. Picked one up yesterday because Best Buy happened to restock. Enjoying it

Aaron D.

Once VR goes wireless, I think traditional gaming would become redundant.

In the future, why carry around a box you have to plug into a TV to use, when you could put on some 8k 120fps glasses and play anywhere?

NpoPOzM.jpg

That future sounds horrible.

VR is amazing tech and a nice option.

But I'd quit gaming if the only way to experience it was through being strapped into VR and cut off from the world.

I bought Eve: Valkyrie from Amazon for $20 thanks to a pricing error, but I was very reluctant to play it because of the affects DriveClubVR had on me. Anyway, I thought that it might make me hurl! But, NOPE! Played it for about 1 hour, no issues at all.
Now that I have more confidence, I think I'll give RIGS a shot.

Codiox

They're all on the demo disc. I would try them out first before deciding. They're pretty different games, and one or some might give you motion sickness too.

We closed the application and restarted the demo disc and it fixed itself for us.

I tried all 3, that's the problem. Rigs looks cool but I think it will get repetitive. Eve valkyre looks nuts, but does it have a campaign?

Battlezone looks awesome too, are there different tanks and weapons?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wish the move could simulate weight. Like in tumble, if you were picking up a heavier block, the move felt heavier. Maybe they could simulate with vibration.

Dazza

If people are still having tracking issues I may have figured out a possible reason. The PlayStation camera sees IR really easily.

I was just signing in to my PS4 and happened to have the face recognition screen camera view up as I was turning up the TV volume and sure as heck the front of my TV remote is flashing super bright white in the camera's view.

If you have any IR sources in the frame it could really throw this thing off.

This really needs a thread of it own or stickied in OP

beanman25

Really love the harmonix game. Its so cool being in that scene for each song. And I love music. Definitely recommend this app to anyone who loves music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom