• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karak

I bought Eve: Valkyrie from Amazon for $20 thanks to a pricing error, but I was very reluctant to play it because of the affects DriveClubVR had on me. Anyway, I thought that it might make me hurl! But, NOPE! Played it for about 1 hour, no issues at all.
Now that I have more confidence, I think I'll give RIGS a shot.

Hmm this is good to hear. Sadly our PSVR party ended abruptly last night with every single person trying out that VR worlds section where you are playing on the asteroids in the mech( I don't suggest it to anyone). Every other game was fine but that was like a bomb went off in the room. Everyone just packed up and went home lol. Sick as dogs.
I am thinking of getting rigs but man...not at all hopeful compared to a lot of the reports I am hearing about sickness in it. Its the one I want though more than most.

Lady Gaia

If people are still having tracking issues I may have figured out a possible reason. The PlayStation camera sees IR really easily.

Infrared filters are extremely common in digital cameras. I wind if they're not used in the PS4 camera as a cost-saving measure? It would be interesting to try placing an IR filter immediately in front of the camera to see if it makes a difference.

beanman25

Hmm this is good to hear. Sadly our PSVR party ended abruptly last night with every single person trying out that VR worlds section where you are playing on the asteroids in the mech( I don't suggest it to anyone). Every other game was fine but that was like a bomb went off in the room. Everyone just packed up and went home lol. Sick as dogs.
I am thinking of getting rigs but man...not at all hopeful compared to a lot of the reports I am hearing about sickness in it. Its the one I want though more than most.

Same dude. I. Hadn't had any sort of moti0n issues but this demo fucked me and my buddy up. So jarring. I wish it didn't though because it was pretty awesome.

Karak

Same dude. I. Hadn't had any sort of moti0n issues but this demo fucked me and my buddy up. So jarring. I wish it didn't though because it was pretty awesome.

Ya. I would put it on a warning list lol. I mean I review VR titles and now almost never have any issues, but that one slammed me like I have never experienced. I also agree that it is easily one of the more enjoyable titles. I really had a good time..until I didn't:(

Majmun

This could blow up if it wasn't this expensive.

All of the people I've showed this to are blown away by it and want to get it. But it's too expensive, and a few of them don't even have a Ps4 :p

But it's defintitely a hit here'. Everyone loves VR so far.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Genuinely one of the games making me want to buy PSVR

It just reminds me of playing with legos as a kid. I am down on my knees or sitting cross-legged and I am like getting up and moving around and looking down at the tower and all that stuff. It's amazing. It is immersive and adds a new depth to even the simplest games ever.

f@luS

More than a member.
Yes...it will turn on.
I just tried.

PS4 on. Psvr ON

I turn off (7s ) psvr is off : no more picture on my tv from the PS4

It drives me crazy. If I want to turn off the psvr PU I can't have my normal PS4 on tv

I just tried to turn off internet while in rest mode this allows the Pu from psvr to go red along the PS4. But if internet rest mode is enabled it won't turn off

I posted in this in another PSVR thread, hopefully can get some response here. Does anyone else notice a slight blurring of fast moving objects? Actually if you look really close, it looks more like any high speed object has a double image. It's not a 3D issue (you can even see this if you close one eye). It looks like a display issue, like the response time of an LCD being too high. I know it has an OLED panel but I wasn't sure if there were issues with response times on these particular panels.

It's kind of distracting, and maybe I wasn't looking hard enough to notice before, but I demoed PSVR on three separate occasions over the summer and never noticed this.

It's not a deal breaker; but I would like to know if this is normal or not, because my experience has been pretty good otherwise.

Major tracking issues today. Nothing in my setup changed but I absolutely can not play anything without the FoV constantly whipping me around the room. Instant nausea.

Until Dawn my arms just flail about. The tracking constantly snapping to random positions.

Same with Job simulator.

Going to give it a few hours before trying again. This time I shut the PS4 down completely instead of standby. That shouldn't change anything, technically. I don't feel like I should have to do a cold boot whenever I want to play.

Exiting and restarting applications does nothing.

Weird. My first night with the headset was perfect outside of not being able to get the Kitchen to run.

If it keeps up I'm moving the camera to below the monitor and recalibrating.

I wish the move could simulate weight. Like in tumble, if you were picking up a heavier block, the move felt heavier. Maybe they could simulate with vibration.

Headmaster suffers same issue. I wish the headset could vibrate when the ball "impacts" your head. Of course it would fuck up the image, but when I'm playing soccer you kind of get the same effect anyways. :)

Karak

I posted in this in another PSVR thread, hopefully can get some response here. Does anyone else notice a slight blurring of fast moving objects? Actually if you look really close, it looks more like any high speed object has a double image. It's not a 3D issue (you can even see this if you close one eye). It looks like a display issue, like the response time of an LCD being too high. I know it has an OLED panel but I wasn't sure if there were issues with response times on these particular panels.

It's kind of distracting, and maybe I wasn't looking hard enough to notice before, but I demoed PSVR on three separate occasions over the summer and never noticed this.

It's not a deal breaker; but I would like to know if this is normal or not, because my experience has been pretty good otherwise.

Ya its easily noticeable. Didn't kill it for me but ya.
Major tracking issues today. Nothing in my setup changed but I absolutely can not play anything without the FoV constantly whipping me around the room. Instant nausea.

Until Dawn my arms just flail about. The tracking constantly snapping to random positions.

Same with Job simulator.

Going to give it a few hours before trying again. This time I shut the PS4 down completely instead of standby. That shouldn't change anything, technically. I don't feel like I should have to do a cold boot whenever I want to play.

Exiting and restarting applications does nothing.

Weird. My first night with the headset was perfect outside of not being able to get the Kitchen to run.

If it keeps up I'm moving the camera to below the monitor and recalibrating.

That is just weird. The issue I have is regardless of setup after playing a game for a time the entire world has drifted to one way or the other and reseting it doesn't work . So I have to shutdown and start up. Even tried in our empty room that has 0 items in it buy me in a headset with the door closed and the VR wire going under it. Still drifts. 2 camera units...still drifts

cilonen

Hi,

I'm one of developers of Bound, thanks for such great comments about our VR version. I'll be doing reddit AMA next week, if you have some questions.

For those who doesn't know how the game looks in VR you can check on my commentary here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4Ti7rFmqA

But like couple of people already said, it needs to be checked with HMD on.

Thanks and please keep your eyes on the next update!

Just played through in a single sitting.
I was crying like a little girl at the end, I chose X

Just, to you and the team... thanks. Thanks so much!

If the blur is across your eyes it may be because the pixel density is not uniform on VR headsets. You have more packed toward the middle so things on the edge are a bit blurrier.

v0yce

Can anyone confirm if all the games listed on the demo disk have actual demos?

Super Hypercube, Bound, most of the VR a World games, etc just have buy options.

I think it's an artifact of the timewarp framerate doubling.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm so conflicted.

I played it at a colleague for a few hours and was pretty impressed by it, after having my expectations quite down (mostly from cursory reading of headlines in the last 7 days).

So basically I'm quite up on the device itself and the social screen got a lot of laughs in something like Headmaster.

But it's quite a lot of money and I still have so many 2D games and then the other hobbies.
Or reading about how often the Rift is used by dark10x after the initial wow is over.

Annoying.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Marty Chinn said:
I'm curious how much image quality improvement the Pro will have with Resident Evil 7. That demo was so jagged and shimmery. I'm kind of hoping it's a night and day visual quality.
It should be doing 2x resolution increase brute-force pretty trivially. Longer term there's potential for a fair bit more - but that will inevitably depend on adoption rate for Pro itself.

It's a valid question though if in some cases the developers might chose framerate increase instead of just PQ.

benny_a said:
Annoying.
Jump in, water's fine. ;)
I was going to wait until Pro was out, but today I visited electronic store and while they were initially sold-out, just as we were about to leave, staff dropped off 3 extra boxes on the floor. So how could I say no to that :p

Moreche

I echo this 100%.

It was like the revolution of Mario64, in 1996 for me. Games have evolved in polygonal worlds (over 20 years visually and mechanically), but Mario 64 and their ilk (even PS1) - ushered in a new revolution in gaming...it's been the same, but better with each gen of hardware since: evolutionary.

VR captures the original revolutionary change. There has been nothing like it, it's finally a a pivotal step and I'm glad *thrilled* to be part of this event.

No hyperbole.
I second you on that post also. Play the Kitchen demo and try not to believe that horror games won't see a second wind in VR, it totally revolutionises how we play.
M hoping that a lot of old games will see a second chance in VR such as Rez is. If PSVR doesn't take off, now that I've tried it I don't know if I'll play gaming in the same way ever again knowing that VR won't be there.

It should be doing 2x resolution increase brute-force pretty trivially. Longer term there's potential for a fair bit more - but that will inevitably depend on adoption rate for Pro itself.

It's a valid question though if in some cases the developers might chose framerate increase instead of just PQ.

Jump in, water's fine. ;)
I was going to wait until Pro was out, but today I visited electronic store and while they were initially sold-out, just as we were about to leave, staff dropped off 3 extra boxes on the floor. So how could I say no to that :p

Yeah, but if we're talking 60 FPS reprojected to 120 FPS, upping it to native 90 FPS would probably be more than the Pro could handle with the minimal CPU bump.

Ya its easily noticeable. Didn't kill it for me but ya.

That is just weird. The issue I have is regardless of setup after playing a game for a time the entire world has drifted to one way or the other and reseting it doesn't work . So I have to shutdown and start up. Even tried in our empty room that has 0 items in it buy me in a headset with the door closed and the VR wire going under it. Still drifts. 2 camera units...still drifts
I got the drift occasionally and just closing the app and relaunchung fixes it. But it doesn't pop up a lot.

I have e this setup in my basement office with no windows and all the lights are turned off. I turn off all of my monitors but the camera's FOV shows nothing in the way.

I have to take a break. I tried 15 minutes in total today and it was a huge mess. Need to lay off for a few hours. When it works its brilliant but I'm not sure if Move controllers interfere with headset tracking (they shouldn't) but man, my arms and hands were all sorts of going in directions not possible in Until Dawn and Job Sim.

Job sim was far worse with FoV snapping randomly while I played and Until Dawn had just enough view snapping to make me nauseous.

I play Job Sim standing and don't move my feet and use a non-swivel chair for Until Dawn just to make sure I'm not moving my body around like mad.

It worked great the first night outside of general physics funky collision in Job Sim which is to be expected, but man it killed me today.

As much as it works when it works, these issues shouldn't be happening. I'm sticking with it because its mind blowing when it's on point but Sony REALLY needs to use a new camera, gyro and LED tracking solution. I think LEDs are fine but PSVR2 better have a new cam and move controllers. I think using this old tech was a mistake. When it works - awesome. When it doesn't - ick.

I still will recommend PSVR because it's bonkers when it goes smooth.

Hoping a lot of this can be rectified in patches to smooth the experience.

Can anyone confirm if all the games listed on the demo disk have actual demos?

Super Hypercube, Bound, most of the VR a World games, etc just have buy options.

You can definitely play Super Hypercube. Though the way you start the demo isn't very obvious and it's really short.
On the title screen underneath one of "Rankings" squares a prompt indicating to press a button to start the demo shows up.

I have a receiver where all my consoles and cable box are connected. how would I connect the psvr to the TV and ps4? I only have one hdmi coming from the receiver to the TV, all the consoles and cable boxes are connected directly to the receiver

Camera below the tv, I didn't have too many issues. Haven't had the drifting thing yet. And if I'm not aimed properly the option reset seems to work. I noticed some slight judder at times with the viewpoint on rare occasions but always for a brief momen and then it resumed tracking just fine.

I have a receiver where all my consoles and cable box are connected. how would I connect the psvr to the TV and ps4? I only have one hdmi coming from the receiver to the TV, all the consoles and cable boxes are connected directly to the receiver
Your current setup:
PS4 to Receiver

With PSVR:
PS4 to VR Breakout box
VR Breakout box to Receiver

You don't need any extra ports on the TV or receiver. There is 1 in and 2 outs on the breakout box. This way you can still get a regular PS4 signal to your TV and Headset at the same time.

Karak

I got the drift occasionally and just closing the app and relaunchung fixes it. But it doesn't pop up a lot.

I have e this setup in my basement office with no windows and all the lights are turned off. I turn off all of my monitors but the camera's FOV shows nothing in the way.

I have to take a break. I tried 15 minutes in total today and it was a huge mess. Need to lay off for a few hours. When it works its brilliant but I'm not sure if Move controllers interfere with headset tracking (they shouldn't) but man, my arms and hands were all sorts of going in directions not possible in Until Dawn and Job Sim.

Job sim was far worse with FoV snapping randomly while I played and Until Dawn had just enough view snapping to make me nauseous.

I play Job Sim standing and don't move my feet and use a non-swivel chair for Until Dawn just to make sure I'm not moving my body around like mad.

It worked great the first night outside of general physics funky collision in Job Sim which is to be expected, but man it killed me today.

As much as it works when it works, these issues shouldn't be happening. I'm sticking with it because its mind blowing when it's on point but Sony REALLY needs to use a new camera, gyro and LED tracking solution. I think LEDs are fine but PSVR2 better have a new cam and move controllers. I think using this old tech was a mistake. When it works - awesome. When it doesn't - ick.

I still will recommend PSVR because it's bonkers when it goes smooth.

Hoping a lot of this can be rectified in patches to smooth the experience.

That sucks man...makes me sick just thinking about it. Snaps usually only have to happen maybe a couple times before I have to step away.
Ya currently there is no way I am suggesting it to others. But when it works its pretty good for sure. But I agree it would be great to have got some newer tech in a couple places.

Stupid question but maybe make sure the camera lens are clean and such?

Your current setup:
PS4 to Receiver

With PSVR:
PS4 to VR Breakout box
VR Breakout box to Receiver

You don't need any extra ports on the TV or receiver. There is 1 in and 2 outs on the breakout box. This way you can still get a regular PS4 signal to your TV and Headset at the same time.

awesome, thanks for the info. now I need to get one unit. really not sure if I get it know or wait for black friday

cilonen

Just pull your existing HDMI cable out of the back of the PS4 and plug it in to the TV out socket of the breakout box. Use the supplied HDMI cable with the PSVR to link the breakout box and the PS4.

Should work fine - my setup has a switcher between PS4 and TV and it works no problem.

El-Suave

Just got Wayward Sky due to the positive demo impressions. I hope we get many more VR adventure games, The genre wasn't on my radar when I thought of VR games.

bryanee

The platformer on Playroom was good but I was getting motion sick feeling when the camera moved forward. I'm kinda concered now as that wasnt really all that intensive.

I also felt uneasy in Batman which was also a great time but if I'm feeling odd after these games I dont want to think about how I'm going to feel when I try Rigs and other more intensive games.

The platformer on Playroom was good but I was getting motion sick feeling when the camera moved forward. I'm kinda concered now as that wasnt really all that intensive.

I also felt uneasy in Batman which was also a great time but if I'm feeling odd after these games I dont want to think about how I'm going to feel when I try Rigs and other more intensive games.

Rigs didn't get me the first day when I tried beginner mode, but it did when I played the advanced one.

Karak

For many people a none drowsy dramamine works really well. Take it like 20 minutes before gaming. And it doesn't stop you from getting more and more accustomed to VR either which is great.

As for that platformer. Its movement forward without a connection to the game world has caused a lot of complaints your not the first. Just never play the game FATED and you wil be fine lol.,

Naudi

Banned
Well i still have mine sitting here unopened...I bought it with hopes of flipping for $, but in reality that was a trojan horse to get it in the house lol. Been showing my wife demos and today she said she almost wants to say screw it and keep it. Wish me luck bros I'm on the 1 yard line!

That sucks man...makes me sick just thinking about it. Snaps usually only have to happen maybe a couple times before I have to step away.
Ya currently there is no way I am suggesting it to others. But when it works its pretty good for sure. But I agree it would be great to have got some newer tech in a couple places.

Stupid question but maybe make sure the camera lens are clean and such?
Aye

I've checked the camera lenses. I will give it another go in a while but it's just really strange to see out of nowhere when I had such a great first and second night with it.

I'll try the camera in a different height. maybe change its angle or something but if it works fine again after a cold boot then it's 100% a software issue. Others have reported that helps stuff get back on track.

I do have LEDs on my tower for my PC but that is not in line of sight nor is it bright enough for reflections. Looking at the negative image, all i see is the header and controllers.

Again, it was perfect when I first got it. I haven't dropped it or anything. I'm pretty OCD about caring for my electronics and keeping them white glove clean.

Markew001

You can definitely play Super Hypercube. Though the way you start the demo isn't very obvious and it's really short.
On the title screen underneath one of "Rankings" squares a prompt indicating to press a button to start the demo shows up.

The title screen within the demo disc? I don't remember anything saying Rankings, just the Triangle to buy option and of course the virtual DS4.

I'll have to look at it again.

Day two of PSVR is even better than the first. Guys you weren't kidding. That Playroom paltformer was amazing! As it started up I said wow out loud to a room of no one. Truly a Mario 64 moment when you realize you just encountered something amazingly new. Truly shatters the idea of what I thought VR could do. We need a full game ASAP

Wayward demo was interesting. Would like to pick it up at some point. But that Until dawn demo was legit. I think I'll need to pick that up. Driveclub demo was pretty good. I can see how people could get motion sickness from it but I was fine.

Then I went back to Rez infinite and did Area 4, 5 and then Area X. Holy shit was that amazing!! I had goosebumps at the end of Area X. It was emotional

I'm so so so glad I got off the fence and dived in. On the outside I didn't know if there'd be enough content for me to enjoy and now I'm overwhelmed with all these cool games and can't get enough. Even if no other VR content came out I still feel it's been worth it.

I can't wait to see where this goes!

styl3s

Has anyone had back issues playing the PSVR? Played for about 2 hours last night and it absolutely murdered my back and i know it's my posture or my health i have great posture and, i run everyday and i have a standing desk at home/work.

I can't figure it out, it's not the headset because it's light as a feather.

klov

Neo Member
Well i still have mine sitting here unopened...I bought it with hopes of flipping for $, but in reality that was a trojan horse to get it in the house lol. Been showing my wife demos and today she said she almost wants to say screw it and keep it. Wish me luck bros I'm on the 1 yard line!

If the defence has been weakened, a quick, forceful dive up the middle for a TD sounds likely to succeed.

klov

Neo Member
Has anyone had back issues playing the PSVR? Played for about 2 hours last night and it absolutely murdered my back and i know it's my posture or my health i have great posture and, i run everyday and i have a standing desk at home/work.

I can't figure it out, it's not the headset because it's light as a feather.

I had similar issues after first few plays. Determined it was all the abnormal/uncommon neck movements I was making (my wife said it was obvious as an observer that there was a lot of rapid micro neck movements).

OK I finally got onto playing The Assembly today:

Graphics aren't great, ropey indeed but the premise of the story is very interesting so not a deal breaker at all.

Gameplay is quite interesting and I've been messing around with a few simple puzzles and things and it's not bad.

Motion uses blink as standard which does the job but you hold left trigger, point where you want then press right trigger to teleport there but I kept forgetting to press right trigger so took me ages to move about lol

Early on it gave the option to switch to standard right click controls - I lasted about 20 seconds before feeling odd, switched back to blink and was fine.

Overall it's definitely something I will continue with to scratch that adventure itch and if you value story over graphics I would certainly recommend giving it a look.

Just don't use right stick control whatever you do :)

Did anyone else try here it lies demo and come away feeling a bit off? I mentioned it earlier but didn't get much of a response. I really liked what I played but I think moving with a control stick and head movement caused the disconnect floaty feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom