• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest issue with PS VR right now is a feeling of offness after an hour or 2 session with it and that sort of light headed ness last on and off throughout the day. Not sure why it's causing that as I don't play super long sessions and I don't get super dizzy in the process. Anyone else feel this way? And what do you do to help it?

Moreche

PSVR is ruining gaming on my TV for me and I don't say that lightly.
How do I play another platform game on my TV after playing the platform segment in Playroom VR? How do I play another racing game after Driveclub VR? How do play another Batman game after Arkham VR?
I seriously mean that if VR doesn't take off in gaming I might just take up another hobby. I've read that VR needs its Mario 64 game, I don't think it does, for me the experiences are its Mario 64 moment.

kyser73

So I'm back from my weekend away and going bs k into the HMD tonight.

First thing I'm doing - checking if my lenses have the plastic cover over them!

I'm also going to try playing without my glasses after reading peeps scratching the PSVR lenses by pulling the headset in too close.

Then I'm putting some floor protectors on the coffee table legs so I can push it out of the way without knackering the floor boards.

Might introduce the wife to Ocean Descent tonight.

SJRB

Gold Member
My biggest issue with PS VR right now is a feeling of offness after an hour or 2 session with it and that sort of light headed ness last on and off throughout the day. Not sure why it's causing that as I don't play super long sessions and I don't get super dizzy in the process. Anyone else feel this way? And what do you do to help it?

You've transcended, man. You've seen the future.

I feel the same after a long[ish] session. It's hard to describe, but feels harmless. It's as if my brain is trying to make sense of everything. "Oh, so what you're looking at now is real life again? Oh okay"

I had this when I first started playing around with my Rift.
For me it went away after getting used to it for a couple of days.

Do all the 2 player playroom vr games require a second controller? I don't have one of those.. but I do occasionally have people over, sometimes.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone played Gunjack? Seems like a decent EVE alternative for like almost 10% of the price.

Edit: Oh, that's basically what it is! haha

zoukka

The issue with racing games is the in-game world distances. The turns are so much farther than for example enemies in most games, you just don't have enough resolution to get a clear view from the cockpit in native or non-native resolution. The same exact issue plagues Project Cars with Vive, you just can't see shit from that far.

mr lurtle

I more and more get the feeling nobody played it but I'm stuck on loading human and the internet can't help. I have to find some coordinates to insert into a computer and have no fucking clue where they are. Does anybody know?

panda-zebra

Oh that easy? Lol
I will get ny wife playing later then :)

The platformer has more to it 2-player co-op, definitely worth a look.

It was free???? What???

:(

Are you fucking serious? Wow, I dropped 60 euros for it.

Yep, was trawling via ps4 for demos and stuff, must have been lucky timing or something.

eve-free-deae6.png

orioto

Good Art™
It seems rather blurry because you are in motion unlike any other game.

I don't think so. The menus, the pre-race "photo mode" and sitting in your car adjusting the seat all looks like full resolution.

No they are not, stops your car to look at the landscape, they are a blurry mess. Other games (with motion) have a sharper image even in the background.

SaucyJack

Batman VR is freaking awesome.

Kitchen, London Heist also pretty damn good.

Level of immersion is fabulous, looking forward to full games in VR.

The drifting to the left is really starting to annoy me. Some games aren't too bad for it but others like Tumble, VR Worlds and Batman are so easily susceptible to it. Batman especially has the pulsing issue, probably because I'm moving the Move controllers so much and in front of the headset. It's dampening my experience playing it because it completely destroys the immersion.

Not sure how to fix it really. I've pulled down the blinds and there's still enough natural light that I think the camera should be good with, I'm about 6' away from the camera, admittedly I have it positioned underneath the TV but I don't have anything to attach it to above (but Batman is the only one I'm playing standing up anyway), and there's no other lights in the way or reflective surfaces.

I know turning the headset off and on again fixes the drifting issue but it happens so regularly that it's not exactly a great fix. I might just have to stick to the games that don't do it that much for now :/

TheBear

Someone in another thread mentioned the best way to play Rez was with a move. I'm doing the head tracking targeting, how would a move improve on this?

-Digits-

Turns out I have 60 bucks in PSN fun money for some reason. Time to load up on games! I think I'll go with RIGS, Until Dawn and Thumper. I need something else to reach $100. Maybe Batman or Here They Lie.
Already own Rez and I'll pass on DCVR for now.
The Here They Lie demo was pretty cool and didn't give me nausea but I'm not sure if the full game is worth it.

crimilde

Banned
Turns out I have 60 bucks in PSN fun money for some reason. Time to load up on games! I think I'll go with RIGS, Until Dawn and Thumper. I need something else to reach $100. Maybe Batman or Here They Lie.
Already own Rez and I'll pass on DCVR for now.
The Here They Lie demo was pretty cool and didn't give me nausea but I'm not sure if the full game is worth it.

They must've refunded a pre-order to you. I know I saw a thread on that a day or two ago.

Nydus

Whats a good test for checking my IPD settings? I tried the driveclub demo with the blue car and tried to read the word "speed" on the speedometer (is that the right word?) but it just stays blurry no matter how i change the ipd :( normaly i get 67mm

Someone in another thread mentioned the best way to play Rez was with a move. I'm doing the head tracking targeting, how would a move improve on this?

definitely not, if you use look to aim normally then Move feels laggy as hell. It does make it harder though, if that's what they're getting at

Inotti

Is my PS VR headset faulty? In the middle of the game the screen (in headset) sometimes goes black for couple of seconds like it lost the connection or something. I've already checked the cables and even swapped all the hdmi cables. :/ I don't want to send this to repair and wait months to get a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I the only one with this kind of problem?

One thing I did think about for people with limited space, where the camera might not be able to be moved back, to allow it to see more of the room.

You can get clip on Wide Angle lens for mobile phone cameras, to let the camera see a wider area, could they be used for the PScamera ? and if so, Sony should release some for the camera to allow the camera to see more of the room without having to move it backwards.

Waveset

Encountered a problem when I return to the first level, can't get past the water. Already completed this part so objects aren't selectable any more and doors are already open.

Am I missing something or is it bugged?

Tumle

One thing I did think about for people with limited space, where the camera might not be able to be moved back, to allow it to see more of the room.

You can get clip on Wide Angle lens for mobile phone cameras, to let the camera see a wider area, could they be used for the PScamera ? and if so, Sony should release some for the camera to allow the camera to see more of the room without having to move it backwards.
I'm not sure.. but wouldn't it distort the tracking ?

Peltz

The RIGS demo doesn't boot off the disc for me. I get stuck at the screen telling me to make sure I'm in the camera's frame. Does anyone else have this issue?

Everything else on the disc works for me and no other applications are refusing to boot in VR on my system.

I really want to download Rigs, but I don't want to have this same issue with the full release.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Is my PS VR headset faulty? In the middle of the game the screen (in headset) sometimes goes black for couple of seconds like it lost the connection or something. I've already checked the cables and even swapped all the hdmi cables. :/ I don't want to send this to repair and wait months to get a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I the only one with this kind of problem?
This happened to mine a couple of times during my first hour with it, then never again. No idea how or why.

tr00per

I had this when I first started playing around with my Rift.
For me it went away after getting used to it for a couple of days.

Do all the 2 player playroom vr games require a second controller? I don't have one of those.. but I do occasionally have people over, sometimes.

The only ones that require 2 controllers are the platformer and the big monster game (each tv player uses their own)

I'm feeling a little bit spaced out and strange today after a copious VR session last night. I'm coining a new term: 'hangoVR'.

Love this system so much though.

RSP

Ok this is cool:

Go into the Driveclub VR demo and select time trial (any car wil do). Sit on a chair and calibrate the camera. Switch to the lowest viewing angle (so it draws the line of a front bumper on the screen). Now, move off your seat and go sit on the ground. For me, it was like my chin was scraping on the road. Awesome sensation of speed.

Did not experience any kind of motion sickness and I was really pushing for the best lap time for a good 30 minutes non-stop.

I more and more get the feeling nobody played it but I'm stuck on loading human and the internet can't help. I have to find some coordinates to insert into a computer and have no fucking clue where they are. Does anybody know?

Sorry I'm no help, but how is that game so far?
I'm looking at both this and The Assembly and still thinking about which to get first. I expect I'll buy both.

Occam

This^
Kitchen was the first VR i did, and i was drooling and amazed at the belief i really though i was there and people were infront of me.

But that's for everything i've done in VR atm aswell too.
Videos and offscreen doesn't do VR justice and now i understand what they mean when they say that.
From me playing to watching my own vid. It's just two different things.

I've been blown away, and it's everything i had hoped for VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ze90vhkRUc
This is me, playing London Heist too. heheh

You are supposed to play London Heist with two move controllers. That's when it becomes amazing.

Nydus

I tried VEV today but only for some minutes. The text on the walls in the tutorial was a bit hard to read sometimes and i somehow ended up with a tilted cameraangle lol. The first level was pretty cool, i just felt a little lost and didnt really know what to do. But swimming around was fun :D sense of scale is nice. Unfortunatly i pulled some fast manouvers and my stomach wasnt happy with those :S

Yes! This is exactly how I felt yesterday. Played the platforming level on Playroom and maybe 20 minutes of Eve, and felt off, dizzy and lightheaded for the next 6 hours.

Sorry I'm no help, but how is that game so far?
I'm looking at both this and The Assembly and still thinking about which to get first. I expect I'll buy both.

I'm playing through the assembly and it's pretty cool. I cannot use right stick movement and trying it was the only sick feeling I have had after playing pretty much everything. Story is cool though but the graphics are a bit ropey

Enjoying it though I'm not sure how long it is

I'm playing through the assembly and it's pretty cool. I cannot use right stick movement and trying it was the only sick feeling I have had after playing pretty much everything. Story is cool though but the graphics are a bit ropey

Enjoying it though I'm not sure how long it is

Cool, thanks for the impressions on that one.
So you're playing with the teleporting right? Since I'm prone to it in regular FPS games I kind of expect I'll need to favor that too in some games.

Grinchy

Banned
I played more Job Simulator after getting it to work a little better. It still isn't perfect, but I played for like an hour and a half straight. The game is so good. The radio station in the car mechanic job that has the Rick and Morty voice actor talking about cars was so fucking funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom